• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Directors rank their top 3 favorite FF games

What are your top 3 FF games?

• Total voters

Aion002

V: The first FF I played and the game that got me in to jrpgs.

VII: My favorite. I finished it so many times.

Tactics: Other than FFVII it is the most memorable FF in my opinion.

Myths

5, 12, 6.

I can very easily see the inspiration from V in 16. I noticed many of the enemies are literally pulled from the bestiary and the environment (including the color palette) reminds me of what a would expect from a FFV remake (that’s just my imagination). I understand how the Summon ability system was a basis for XVI, as in V collecting the Summons felt more like a pact of friendship throughout the story while calling upon them for temporary aid offering various effects.

I’m glad that they actually place 5 so far up because it is one of the most solid battle system in the entire franchise with its job mechanic. It’s rare to hear 5 up there, typically it’s 6, 7, and 10.

Honestly, Minagawa should lead an FFV remake. His top choices are extremely close to mine which tells me where he stands as far as vision, expectations, and experience.

Last edited:
Wont rank but iv enjoyed from 4-9 in terms of the ps1 games 1-3 are rough even on emulation compared to Shin megami games especially on the famicom. HD games/spin offs X,X-2,12,13,13-2,15, type zero, crisis core,7 remake, Tactics. NO ff14 is on the list because ff14 arr arr 1.0 and the re done they did sucks the scions, cid and some of the side characters you meet are great characters. The mission structure the "game play" the overly dialogue will put you to sleep the only good parts of ff14 arr is towards the ends and later raids nothing else heaven sword bring the 5/10 experience up to a 6/10 boss fights are better and the raids but the story and some of the way they wrap up different things especially the nanamo sub plot pissed me off to no end and no that ending didnt fix anything it was cheap AF and was just an excuse to get to the very boring dragons story line.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
ChubbyInsidiousAstarte-size_restricted.gif

FFVIII need more votes and I can officially say GAF
Choose GIF

FFVII Remake should have more too (although I didn't vote for it myself as it's not finished) so understandable

But that's a good ranking GAF..

But yeah, FFVIII need more votes!

Kumomeme

Hiroshi Takai, Kazutoyo Maehiro, Koji Fox, Hiroshi Minagawa = no.1 FFV

Ryota Suzuki = no.3 FFV

underrated. probably FF that has most balanced in term of story, gameplay and exploration.

moden open world remake of FFV might be the dream rpg that nobody realize they want

Doom85

Yoshi-P: Okay, everyone, did you finish your homework? You were supposed to list your top 3 FF games and why they are your favorites.
Hiroshi: Yep, here’s mine.
Yoshi: All right, let’s see here: “Final Fantasy IX” and then…”Final Fantasy IX”…and finally, “Final Fantasy IX”. ……
Hiroshi: You going to read why they‘re my favorites?
Yoshi: Favorites? You only listed one, eh, whatever, let’s see, “fuck you if you think this requires an explanation”.
Hiroshi: I think that’s more than adequate.
Yoshi: Okay, well, maybe Kazutoyo’s paper will have more variety…..this is exactly what Hiroshi wrote. Did you copy his paper?!
Kazutoyo: Of course not, remember, I was out of town, I only got back this morning. You can check my texts and such.
Yoshi: No, that’s fine. Ryota, I’m going to assume-
Ryota: Yep, same thing.
Yoshi: All right, goddamn it, people, look, we all know IX is obviously the best one. The series creator says it’s the best, the series composer says it’s the best, my grandparents who have never played a FF in their life somehow knew IX was the best when the topic came up at our family reunion, but goddamn it, lists like this need variety! So right now, I want new lists from everybody, and IX is excluded because it’s completely obvious it should be everyone’s #1! Got it?!
Hiroshi: Wait, so what was your list like-
(Yoshi tosses his list out the window): Uh, irrelevant, like I said, new lists!
Everyone else:

angry futurama GIF

SaniOYOYOY

6,7remake,9,15,13

but I still really enjoyed 13 even more than some people here. I always championed LR battle system to be reused in another ff

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

14 > 10 > 8 > 7

Like 7 a lot too, but i didnt know english when i played as a teen, thats y he is my 4th

Last edited:

ByWatterson

Genuinely hard to choose. I went with 7, 9, and 10, but love:

7 Remake

Haven't played 5 but now I guess I have to.

Gp1

For me:
7- tactics- 12.

As strange as it may sound, i'm more certain about the number two and 3 than the first one

Paltheos

Hipster adult me says 5, 10, and 12 I think.

10's probably my favorite. I replayed it a few years ago and it's amazing how well it holds up. The world is so fantastically creative, something I'm just not used to seeing from this genre. The cast is a likeable bunch, Tidus is a great fish out of water lead, the adventure builds on this sense of inevitability. The combat strikes a great balance of being just challenging enough throughout most of the game to be interesting. Endgame content is a little blase - I enjoy the arena grind but the other minigames I could pass on besides blitzball. Definitely an area where 5 and 6 win cleanly.

12 has a boring first act and has an obviously patched together ending after Matsuno left, but once the game actually got going (opened gambits, licenses, hunts) the loop was really addicting for me. I loved pushing ahead and seeing what challenge I could take on next. It's a game I love but have reservations recommending though because of how long it takes before you reach the good stuff to see if you even like it.

I voted 5... and I still do really like it - the adventure is upbeat and exciting and the job system always keeps thing fresh and compelling - but as I'm typing this out I'm thinking of the other games. I loved 7 so much as a kid (although I haven't played it in over ten years) and after playing through the Pixel Remasters I'm reminded of how brisk an adventure 4 is... when it's moving forward. Because man there's not much to that game off the beaten path.

Last edited:
Top Bottom