• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI |OT| Ifrit Bleeds We Can Kill It

Are you playing in Quality or Performance mode?

• Quality

Votes: 274 59.8%
  • Performance

Votes: 184 40.2%

• Total voters

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Jill is the personification of ELEGANCE! :messenger_smiling_hearts:

F1vBfCWXsAAUrnI
Beautiful!

Really ? Where .. maybe i missed but through the whole story i didnt come across any answer.

Were you even focusing on the game or just blatantly finished? There's a whole big chart to make you understand, Vivian Ninetales explains it wide and open. If you want to go more thorough then Harpocrates has every details.

It's fantastically explained every bits of the world. Story is huge and feels complicated for someone who's abstracted.

After finishing Final Fantasy mode, My rating for the full game changed from C and is now a B-.

For context I played FF mode still doing sidequests but skipping all cutscenes. Every single one, skipped. It improved the pacing of the game tenfold. I’m into any game that does a remix or randomizer when it comes to enemy placement in NG+. More games need to do it and this one didn’t disappoint. I had a blast the second time around, trying out new combinations of everything you earn over the course of playthrough 1 while facing harder enemies. This includes accessories, abilities, upgrades, and items. The fact that they even had a blacksmith upgrade path for this new mode was wonderful.

It’s truly unfortunate that the pacing of the sidequests really brings this game down in playthrough 1, and I feel like a middle ground could have been reached somewhere to where it didn’t feel too ‘MMO-like’ in nature. Maybe they should have made Clive a slightly more militaristic leader and give him units to dispense around the world for minor sidequests and missions, idk. Instead you’re the one guy in the world who’s running around doing errands, chores, and homework for literally everyone. The game fights itself by constantly asking you to do more and more sidequests, especially during moments of tension where the story should take precedent, but instead of that you will be loaded up with even more sidequests(and most people here will do them as a first experience and also for rewards).

Once again for anyone here early on in the game, do yourself a favor and look up which sidequests you should do online for important upgrades and story, and only do those essential sidequests. Or at least look up sidequests where you are safe to hold down the skip button due to irrelevance or unimportance.

Just do what you can to try to get more of a feeling of enjoyment out of this game than a feeling of obligation.

Last edited:
After finishing Final Fantasy mode, My rating for the full game changed from C and is now a B-.

For context I played FF mode still doing sidequests but skipping all cutscenes. Every single one, skipped. It improved the pacing of the game tenfold. I’m into any game that does a remix or randomizer when it comes to enemy placement in NG+. More games need to do it and this one didn’t disappoint. I had a blast the second time around, trying out new combinations of everything you earn over the course of playthrough 1 while facing harder enemies. This includes accessories, abilities, upgrades, and items. The fact that they even had a blacksmith upgrade path for this new mode was wonderful.

It’s truly unfortunate that the pacing of the sidequests really brings this game down in playthrough 1, and I feel like a middle ground could have been reached somewhere to where it didn’t feel too ‘MMO-like’ in nature. Maybe they should have made Clive a slightly more militaristic leader and give him units to dispense around the world for minor sidequests and missions, idk. Instead you’re the one guy in the world who’s running around doing errands, chores, and homework for literally everyone. The game fights itself by constantly asking you to do more and more sidequests, especially during moments of tension where the story should take precedent, but instead of that you will be loaded up with even more sidequests(and most people here will do them as a first experience and also for rewards).

Once again for anyone here early on in the game, do yourself a favor and look up which sidequests you should do online for important upgrades and story, and only do those essential sidequests. Or at least look up sidequests where you are safe to hold down the skip button due to irrelevance or unimportance.

Just do what you can to try to get more of a feeling of enjoyment out of this game than a feeling of obligation.
Does your gear carry through to NG+?

My relationship with this game is so love/hate.

I love the outcomes of the side quests but the process of doing them is pretty dreadful.

I can see the potential of the combat but it’s just too easy to mash through it. I’d prefer to not have the option of being lazy.

The story is great but everything is so slow. Even the camera movements during cut scenes seem 30% slower than they should be.

I really don’t n ow what to think. I have to force myself to boot it up but then I never want to quit playing for the night. It’s such a bizarre game in this respect.

NahaNago

Well I'm closing in on the end I have like 4 or 5 chapters left. I'm not sure if the gameplay is a addictive or if I'm just determined to finish this game. The side quest's stories did get a lot better but they were still mostly either talk to this person or go and fight this monster and maybe retrieve an item(some of these sidequests really make me think of ff14 with the npc all of a sudden popping up all of a sudden during a sidequest).

I'm kind of annoyed that my abilities are nowhere near maxed out. I'll have this game beat by Wednesday night most likely. I dread the ending but I hope it is moving and stunning. Which reminds me I honestly forgot most of the ending of FF12 outside of vann and penelo leaving.

Last edited:
I'm kind of annoyed that my abilities are nowhere near maxed out. I'll have this game beat by Wednesday night most likely.
They won’t be. I had that one accessory equipped where you earn more ability points, for the entire first playthrough, and I was still far, far from maxing out more than maybe 2.5 Eikons.

For playthrough 1 they want you to choose and min/max your build, not to try and acquire all of it. So if you’re trying to play it that way and be a jack of all trades, you’re going to end up with weakened skills for end game. Now if you’re already on playthrough 2 and you’re saying that, then you’ve done something drastically wrong(or you’re not playing FF mode), because the game hands you tons and tons of ability points and XP in nearly every situation(and this is without the accessories equipped).

Ovech-King

Gold Member
The titan fight « escalated quickly » lol. Cool stuff but then the boss is such a sponge that it drags ways too much and loose it’s momentum real fast . Still appreciate the effort though. You can see where the dev time went vs other very ordinary stuff

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
They won’t be. I had that one accessory equipped where you earn more ability points, for the entire first playthrough, and I was still far, far from maxing out more than maybe 2.5 Eikons.

For playthrough 1 they want you to choose and min/max your build, not to try and acquire all of it. So if you’re trying to play it that way and be a jack of all trades, you’re going to end up with weakened skills for end game. Now if you’re already on playthrough 2 and you’re saying that, then you’ve done something drastically wrong(or you’re not playing FF mode), because the game hands you tons and tons of ability points and XP in nearly every situation(and this is without the accessories equipped).
I ended up resetting my character abilities and just focusing on the eikons I was actually using.

SkylineRKR

I love the outcomes of the side quests but the process of doing them is pretty dreadful.

I can see the potential of the combat but it’s just too easy to mash through it. I’d prefer to not have the option of being lazy.

The story is great but everything is so slow. Even the camera movements during cut scenes seem 30% slower than they should be.

I really don’t n ow what to think. I have to force myself to boot it up but then I never want to quit playing for the night. It’s such a bizarre game in this respect.

Yes its very mixed. Overall I think its a good game and some story beats, music etc are very strong but then the game either throws boring busywork at you or decides to skip things altogether. I wish we could explore an actual city (or a part of it) in this, like Rabanastre or Archades in FFXII but its not there. They constantly cut to a linear battle dungeon. And those are just a case of running to the next encounter, without any exploration, puzzle or verticality. This wouldn't bother me if the combat wasn't so... boring? The mechanics are good at face value, but the enemies barely do anything and I end up just doing w/e. It seems there are no elemental weaknesses, status debuffs or anything like it. It doesn't matter what you use against anyone.

I would've liked a challenging mode from the get go, now you have to beat the game for it first. And using correct Eikons against certain enemy types, this would enforce you to mix it up and think about your ability points. But they all threw it out for the sake of accessibility which is fine, but you can just leave it at an easy mode for those players.

My experience is the same, yesterday I played a good chunk despite wanting to stop hours earlier. Sometimes the pacing is really good, typically when you are following the story outside of the Hideaway busywork.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I haven't done any grinding yet, but I wanted to master a few abilities so I looked up optimal spots. I'm pretty far in the game, so it recommended Free Cities of Kanver, Evenfall mission. You basically blow throw 3 sets of enemies, fast travel away, then fast travel back. Rinse and repeat. You should have Fortunes of Heaven and Wages of Warcraft items equipped for AP and EXP boost. Other than that just do what you want to kill them. It's actually pretty fun getting better at slaughtering them each time. Pays out like 1100AP in 3-5min. I'm not going to master all abilities, but there were some I wanted before proceeding.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Yeah, I just recently took that accessory off. I probably could max out 3.5 eikons but that is mostly because I worked to max out the phoenix early in the game.

I'm still on my first playthrough since I stopped playing for a bit.

rob305

Ok so I'm maybe 15 hours into the game (
just destroyed the 2nd crystal and going back to rosalith
) and so far I find the story very lacking, does it get any better at all? FF7R was my first FF game and I loved the story, played FF15 right after and thought the story alright.
FF16 story doesnt appeal to me at al so far. Whats the consensus, does it get any better? Also not enjoying the combat, was playing mostly for the story and i'm getting to the point where i'm not enjoying the game anymore

) and so far I find the story very lacking, does it get any better at all? FF7R was my first FF game and I loved the story, played FF15 right after and thought the story alright.
FF16 story doesnt appeal to me at al so far. Whats the consensus, does it get any better? Also not enjoying the combat, was playing mostly for the story and i'm getting to the point where i'm not enjoying the game anymore
Dropped it myself after 20 hours for the same reasons…super disappointing

Power Pro

I just finished this game, and this post reflects how I feel about a lot of things. It's like, I see the game as a great achievement, and I want more games like this. Complete, fleshed out single player story driven games, and not GaaS bull shit...but there are things about it that hold it back.

The combat really got to a point where I was just bored with it because it is so easy to just mash your way through. It didn't help that a lot of encounters just felt like they go on way too long. I dreaded boss battles after a certain point because I knew they were always gonna be multiple phases, and that it wasn't ever really gonna be challenging, but a lot of time spent doing the same attacks over and over because their health bars are so damn big. I never felt like I had to think, which is why I think I'm not a fan of actiony games. I'm no good with my reflexes, and prefer something where I have to plan and execute. After a while also, all the spectacle was just boring to me.

It's a bummer because I was really thinking this could be good, and be really into it when I first started, but after about 20 hours, I was starting to feel the drag of the pace of everything. Like you said, even some things like camera takes going too long seems to be a factor in it. Dialogue going on for too long sometimes too.

I saw someone else online complain about how it story kinda devolves into a typical FF villain trope, and I can totally see that also. It started out more about the conflicts within the world itself, but once things take a turn in the story, all of that stuff kind of disappears.

Like you said, it's love/hate. I can totally appreciate and respect aspects of it, but it also falters in ways that have kinda made me feel I didn't enjoy the experience that much once it was done.

Also just a side thing, but I really wish it was revealed that Jill was pregnant with Clive's baby or something. Just so she wouldn't have been left completely alone at the end there.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’m about 2/3 of the way through. I think the story sequence I just saw was the best since the opening. But man it was one hell of a slog to get there. I am dreading going back to the filler stuff.

rob305

I’m about 2/3 of the way through. I think the story sequence I just saw was the best since the opening. But man it was one hell of a slog to get there. I am dreading going back to the filler stuff.
how far out from that am i based on where im at in the game? Am I like 1/3 into the game?

I really want to know how the hell this game got the reviews it did, because I am absolutely convinced that I must be playing a completely different game. I'm actually in shock that people can not either see the glaring faults....or...I don't even know. This is drastically bad in places...Like this game is Square last remnant levels of quality with just a fancier sheen on top.

A decent game, some could say...with interesting bits...but nothing special and no where near the metacritic rating it has. IMO.

I beg everyone to play Xenoblade 3 instead.....better in every single way.
the simpsons adult GIF

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So darksteel and orichalcum are extremely limited to a point that, if you use them before to create some accessories and you've done all hunts, you're locked out of creating Gotterdammerung ultimate weapon?

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It drags as a result of the side quests but even the main quests are just are dumb as the side quests at times.

If you only focused on the main quests you'd probably find the story more engaging. If you do side quests expect to be wondering what the point of everything is. You'll get a major story segment and then find yourself gathering garlic, or fighting scrub enemies in an empty bar, etc. and lose focus on what the point of the game is. It started to feel like a fever dream for me at times.

Madflavor

We already heard from Yoshi-P about potential DLC but what do you guys think ? would you prefer DLC or a FF XVI-2 ?

A mid story Leviathan DLC would make the most sense. It adds a new big Eikon fight, new Eikon abilities, a new zone, and could potentially change/expand the ending.

I don't see how a sequel could work given magic has been destroyed at the end of the story. That basically wipes away the whole combat system.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
So darksteel and orichalcum are extremely limited to a point that, if you use them before to create some accessories and you've done all hunts, you're locked out of creating Gotterdammerung ultimate weapon?

You should have enough. I made all of the hest gear and I had an extra orichalcum. I think 1 or 2 quests give orichalcum

A mid story Leviathan DLC would make the most sense. It adds a new big Eikon fight, new Eikon abilities, a new zone, and could potentially change/expand the ending.

I don't see how a sequel could work given magic has been destroyed at the end of the story. That basically wipes away the whole combat system.
Good point ! Leviathan still a big mistery that wasn't unfold also the
medicine girl is somehow related to It wich leaves that open.

peish

We already heard from Yoshi-P about potential DLC but what do you guys think ? would you prefer DLC or a FF XVI-2 ?

probably leviathan and fallen stories.

i prefer if cbu3 continues doing mainline FF. as flawed as 16 is, it's still miles better than weebo nojima/nomura stuff.

i hope with the great success of BG3, 17 can go back to turn based, they already have 14!

sure the realtime action, reaction dodges and unleashing limit breaks are cool, but it sorely limits the design.

imagining a 17 with open connected world, locations each sized like ash, towns like rabanastre. and also replace the last remnant director guy, or hopes he continues to improve his game

yoshi-p i know you/your scout is reading this, take note!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
61 hours later, hundreds of dialogues skipped in most of the side quest, the last batch of absolutely abysmal side quest (most, but not all, some of them actually good) almost killed me, 3% of the game left to complete including epilogue... and now I so don't want to play this game anymore and play it ever again...

ugh-face-palm.gif

Brigandier

I have to say the voice acting and acting in general from the main cast is excellent...

The scene where Joshua dies for real and tells Clive he was proud to have him as his shield and brother damn.... That hit hard and then Clive's actor Ben Starr fucking nailed it, I don't really get upset much or get overly invested in video game emotional scenes but man that was hard going from that to kicking Ultimas ass. Very depressing game for a FF lol

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I have to say the voice acting and acting in general from the main cast is excellent...

The scene where Joshua dies for real and tells Clive he was proud to have him as his shield and brother damn.... That hit hard and then Clive's actor Ben Starr fucking nailed it, I don't really get upset much or get overly invested in video game emotional scenes but man that was hard going from that to kicking Ultimas ass. Very depressing game for a FF lol

The brother dynamic is awesome in this

Joshua’s voice actor needs to get more appreciation too, I think he’s the best in the game after Cid

Boneless

Bahamut Eikon is really dissapointing, hope I am going to see some more cool combat additions in latter half of the game.

Barakov

Just beat it and
Fast Food Burgers GIF by Harvey's

The game definitely had its' moments but I'm glad it's over. Not the worst FF but it definitely seems like a step down. The combat system is great but I still think it's worse than FF7R. I think that team did a better job of bringing in action elements while still making it feel like a rpg.

This game's cutscenes are probably the worst part about it. It does the FF14 thing where you watch people walk up to and away from you. It totally ruins the flow of them. It worked fine in the mmo but here it's really irritating. Also I hate the Game Of Thrones style they were going for here. Just doesn't suit FF at all. Also, someone needs to get yoship and company a team of editors. The sidequests are more guilty about this than the main game(outside of the main villain running his mouth in the most boring way possible), but these npcs waste about 45 seconds telling you about something that could could've been done in about 10 or less. Thankfully, you skip most of it but it's still a drag.

Probably my biggest disappointment this year.

drganon

Just finished the game. Took me about 70 hours due to doing a lot of the sidequests. Overall, really enjoyed it. Liked the combat more than 7r and liked it more in everyway over 15.

LostDonkey

Games good, just got to the desert area but my god the side quests are lame.

Speak to the townspeople. Basically run over there, press X, run back, press X. Mission complete.

If those were fleshed out with more adventures and dungeons/puzzles even it would be a whole different game. Right now that's stopping me from claiming greatness for this game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Games good, just got to the desert area but my god the side quests are lame.

Speak to the townspeople. Basically run over there, press X, run back, press X. Mission complete.

If those were fleshed out with more adventures and dungeons/puzzles even it would be a whole different game. Right now that's stopping me from claiming greatness for this game.
Even the main quest is like that. Arrive in area, talk to one person, then talk to 3 other people, go just outside of town and fight one easy battle, return and talk to 2 more people…

SkylineRKR

In the end I think I like FFVII R better. It simply has a far better combat system, and a good materia system that can give you a huge advantage in battle. There are actual builds in that game, you can make Barret a close ranged fighter for example. Even Normal mode is fairly challenging already and you'll want to exploit weakness and have defense against the appropriate attacks.

I beat FFVII R twice, and I enjoyed Hard mode with all materia slots etc unlocked. You can also skip the on-rails stuff. I doubt I am going to beat FFXVI twice. I don't see it happening.

FFXVI wins when it comes to world building and freedom, but the pacing feels weird. At some point you fight through a small army and manage to get a ship, and then its back to the hideaway again, and back to the ship. FFVII R has pacing issues too, obviously since its the opening chapter stretched out, but sidequests aren't one of them. They are in 3 chapters or so, where the game lets you explore a bit more. And they're fully optional. But contrary to FFXVI, the rewards are pretty fucking good.

Top Bottom