• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI - your expectations after the great success of Final Fantasy XV

Hype for Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 11 25.6%

Votes: 5 11.6%

Votes: 7 16.3%

Votes: 3 7.0%

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters

Thabass

I heard that quite often. It got me really hype to try it. Always wanted to be a MMO fan but those I have try could not keep me interested long enough.

Does it really feel like a "single player" adventure (MMO combat aside)

Yes. As a matter of fact, that was the reason why I loved it so much. You still need to party up and do dungeons and harder content with people, but, it's so worth it. A Realm Reborn is a bit slow in the story and has a lot of issues, but they were working with a more limited budget and fixing an already terrible story.

Heavensward and beyond (especially Shadowbringers) has CEMENTED FFXIV as one of the best Final Fantasy games out there today. It's personally my #1 Final Fantasy game.

DelireMan7

Yes. As a matter of fact, that was the reason why I loved it so much. You still need to party up and do dungeons and harder content with people, but, it's so worth it. A Realm Reborn is a bit slow in the story and has a lot of issues, but they were working with a more limited budget and fixing an already terrible story.

Heavensward and beyond (especially Shadowbringers) has CEMENTED FFXIV as one of the best Final Fantasy games out there today. It's personally my #1 Final Fantasy game.

:)

And how the story is delivered mainly ? Text or cutscene/dialogue. The "full text mode" of some MMO turned me off

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
My expectations are pretty low... Have been that way since they went with their new combat systems in 12.

Just not what I want in my final fantasy. I want a traditional turn based rpg with a huge but understandable story.

Essentially I want final fantasy 1-9 back.

Both are bad.
But I give the edge to FFXIII too... it have better battle system and overall is a FF game even if bad... FFXV is an unfinished bad game and a bad FF game with narrative/story issues... what saves it?

That doesn’t means much of course... I could perfectly pass both due their quality... it is not something worthy to buy/play.
I respectfully disagree and will just leave it there.

I enjoyed the characters. I think the friendship between the 4 party members was well done, i liked Ardyn, i loved Aranea, the issue was everything around those characters. I didnt feel anything about Luna. We barely saw her and it was mostly on flashbacks, and when noctis finally meets up with her, she dies. Why should i care? Why should their romance have any emotional impact on meif we didnt see any proper romance between them? It was just a big mess.
This I agree with, Luna dying left me disappointed, and I'm sure the DLC's didn't even address it besides maybe some odd amount of time in Episode Ignis somewhere but that's just me guessing, I only beat the main game so far but I'll definitely play it again for the DLC's.

Last edited:

Thabass

Ok thanks. I'll try to give it a try at the free version :). I heard to many good feedback for not testing it

Awesome. Just remember, the story is pretty weak in ARR, so don't judge it too harshly. Once you get to level 50+ it gets much better, but still getting to Heavensward makes everything better.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I haven't actually purchased an FF game since my crushing disappointment with FFXII.

I might check XVI out. I'm not gonna buy it right away. I'll look for it, but will be extremely careful.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally not much fan of FFXV, so I'm hoping SE kind of move away from that direction. I think its about time we get some more Fantasy setting rather than modern or futuristic setting.

Similar to this..
tumblr_p2xag92NyN1s05hv8o9_500.gifv

Even Atlus who usually have modern Tokyo setting are making much more fantasy setting on their next game.

Project Re Fantasy (hopefully we get some news from this game soon)
Project-Re-Fantasy-Art-1.jpg

Weekly-Famitsu-Scan-RPG-Project-Re-Fantasy.jpg

Last edited:

Athreous

I loved XV.
But I'm a bit tired of futuristic FFs.
Imagine a world like IX, with some revolutionary ATB battle system, amazing SD graphics and please, a complete story...

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm really looking forward to it but I can't be too hyped for a game that hasn't been announced yet and if I've yet to hear/see anything about it

Last edited:

Myths

This thread seems like a response due to the underwhelming reception of FFXV in the other FFXVI topic. Starting to become repetitive, like every few days it almost.

Can a mod merge the two threads?

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I haven't play all the FF (only VI, VII, X, X-2 and XV) but this series is kind of "magic" for me and I can't resist to be hype for each new FF.

I was really hyped for XV (I mean Versus XIII), got a bit disappointed but enjoy it quite a bit in the end (but yes the story is a bit fuck up). I even think doing another play through this year to see the changes they made (and I'll probably enjoy a bit more because now I know what to expect).
Play IX.

Ixion

The main thing is that FFXVI needs to have a relatively smooth and focused development compared to literally every mainline Final Fantasy after FFX (excluding the MMO titles). That was the last mainline Final Fantasy with a relatively quick, smooth, development period and that shows.

I love FFXII, but the director change halfway through the long development period resulted in underdeveloped aspects of the story. Then for both FFXIII and FFXV, the in-house engine caused a lot of development issues. FFXIII was so one-dimensional because, according to the director, they didn't have time to focus on anything else besides fighting monsters due to how long it took to just get the in-house engine working correctly. And then FFXV was basically like two completely different games (the first 2/3s VS the last 1/3) because of both the engine difficulties and the director change.

So hopefully the use of Unreal Engine smooths things out for Square-Enix going forward and allows them to truly focus on making a modernized version of the classic Final Fantasy experience. Something with both a strong cinematic story and a rich explorable world (that doesn't involve spending 40% of your time riding in a car like the first 2/3s of FFXV). And yeah, I agree it's time to lose the sci-fi and go back to a fantasy setting.

Last edited:

Ixion

I keep avoiding ff15 because I keep hearing the story is rubbish and there is virtually no challenge.

The first 2/3s of FFXV are all about driving around the open-world completing quests, while the last 1/3 is much more linear and cinematic. I personally found the last 1/3 to be much more enjoyable. The story finally started to get focused and kick into high gear and there were some truly epic sequences and scenes. It was just faster paced and more gripping, taking you through a bunch of diverse locales at a smooth clip, which really made it feel more like Final Fantasy to me. The story for those first 2/3s definitely feels odd and too casual considering what happens at the beginning of the game.

So yeah, for FFXVI they need to marry those two approaches (open world exploration and a cinematic story/adventure) into something greater.

Last edited:
The first 2/3s of FFXV are all about driving around the open-world completing quests, while the last 1/3 is much more linear and cinematic. I personally found the last 1/3 to be much more enjoyable. The story finally started to get focused and kick into high gear and there were some truly epic sequences and scenes. It was just faster paced and more gripping, taking you through a bunch of diverse locales at a smooth clip, which really made it feel more like Final Fantasy to me. The story for those first 2/3s definitely feels odd and too casual considering what happens at the beginning of the game.

So yeah, for FFXVI they need to marry those two approaches (open world exploration and a cinematic story/adventure) into something greater.

Well maybe I'll give it a try since it's on gamepass. It just looks beautiful.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Aren't they planning for FFXVI to be an MMO thing?

--------------

FFXV is a pretty game but I stopped halfway through it because I couldn't keep myself invested in it.

I miss my RPG series with charm.

*laughs in DQXI*

D.Final

Banned
Aren't they planning for FFXVI to be an MMO thing?

--------------

FFXV is a pretty game but I stopped halfway through it because I couldn't keep myself invested in it.

I miss my RPG series with charm.

*laughs in DQXI*

Personally I think that Final Fantasy XV has one of the best ending of the entire series.
So I think that you can enjoy that ending too.

I personally not much fan of FFXV, so I'm hoping SE kind of move away from that direction. I think its about time we get some more Fantasy setting rather than modern or futuristic setting.
Since there was suppose to be a line of clothing fashion based on FFXV, I can't help but feel the modern setting was just an excuse to have realistic clothing that they could sell as merchandise.

D.Final

Banned
If it's just an opinion, then why do you get your panties in a wad whenever somebody disagrees with you about FFXV? How about you take your own advice and "move on and simply ignore it".

And that's exactly what I'm already doing.
But it is obvious that if the discussion always focuses on:

A: I think this 1
B: I think this is 2 not 1
A: for me it is 1
B: instead it is 2

A useless diatribe would go on forever.
On the other hand, if B accepted or simply ignored what A said, the opinion disputes would not even begin. And it would be better for everyone.

Anyway, it's better to go back to talking about the expectations on Final Fantasy XVI now.

Since there was suppose to be a line of clothing fashion based on FFXV, I can't help but feel the modern setting was just an excuse to have realistic clothing that they could sell as merchandise.

It is one of the original concept ideas of Nomura born from the the Versus XIII concept and carried on to
Final Fantasy XV project.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Eventually, I want to play all the mainline "modern" FF (post VI). So I'll play IX. I look up quite a bit of info/reviews on each game to decide which one I want to play next and IX seems like a really strong contender.
Last year, I played VI for the first time. Really great but some system (like the gear/inventory) are a bit old and frustrated me a bit. However it stands my expectation and they were quite high.

The next one will be XII. It picks my curiosity since years and I found it on a very good deal last year.
After that I'll see... Actually except for VIII, I am really interested in all the remaining (IX, XIIIs, XIV). And don't know why but despite all the bad things I heard about XIIIs, I really want to play them.
Also I might play a second run of XV.

But first I have to finish Xenoblade Chronicles (at least 30/40 hours remaining...). Extremely good so far !

cireza

Always the same people trying to rewrite history in FF XV topics. Game was a huge success, like it or not.

dalekjay

The only thing good in XV is that it’s better than 13, but ok because we can debate if breaking a bone is better or not than 13.
For 16 square better level up their game, doesn’t need a bigger budget, last DQ I bet had a small budget in comparison and while not being perfect it hits all the right notes.

Square needs that self evaluation make a FF in line with 9 or 6, make a story simple on main plot and complex between characters, modern take on atb battle.

Last edited:

KiteGr

The series has gone downhill since 10.

I don't count the online games since I've played only some of ff14 at it's abysmal beginning, and by the time it became good, I had jumped to GW2 for my MMO needs and never looked back.

As for the main line single player games:
  • FF10 was incomplete, but it was a "good incomplete" that you wouldn't notice it was unfinished unless you looked deep into it.
  • FF10-2 had an amazing battle system, but every thing alse was badly delivered fanservice designed to sell strategy guides.
  • FF12... I never managed to finish that despite multiple attempts. It's boring and repetitive and the MC shouldn't even exist.
  • FF13 Had all this amazing graphics and production, but it was simplified to a fault. The world was designed like a decorated hallway with little interaction, the story was hidden in texted encyclopedias and the combat system pretty much revolved around playing with a switch.
  • The FF13 sequels tried to fix the issues the main game had, but by that point, the original gad told everything that needed to be told.
  • FF15 was an incomplete mess. It's story bits where scattered in multiple medium and dlcs and each had to be bought seperatelly. It was a salvage attempt at a project stucked in development hell.

If you want my opinion, the brand is VERY damaged.

The only thing that would convince me to take another FF game seriously, is if they put someone as crazy and dearing as Yoko Taro to direct it.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

What about the Type-0 style? Each nation having its own style. You got one diesel-punk, one medieval, one ancient and one magic heavy mixed with industrial revolution aesthetics nations. I really enjoyed the incredible diversity of enemies, characters, weapons, environments, ideas etc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What about the Type-0 style? Each nation having its own style. You got one diesel-punk, one medieval, one ancient and one magic heavy mixed with industrial revolution aesthetics nations. I really enjoyed the incredible diversity of enemies, characters, weapons, environments, ideas etc.
That actually isn’t bad idea, I just don’t want another “reality base fantasy” or whatever FFXV was going for. I want more fantastical, almost magical art direction.

Last edited:

royox

Always the same people trying to rewrite history in FF XV topics. Game was a huge success, like it or not.

Also XIII was a success. High Sales numbers just because of hype and brand name don't talk about how damaged a brand can be and XV left a wound in the saga. Thanks god we have shadowbringers to keep our hopes.

Fuz

Banned
Eventually, I want to play all the mainline "modern" FF (post VI). So I'll play IX. I look up quite a bit of info/reviews on each game to decide which one I want to play next and IX seems like a really strong contender.
Last year, I played VI for the first time. Really great but some system (like the gear/inventory) are a bit old and frustrated me a bit. However it stands my expectation and they were quite high.

The next one will be XII. It picks my curiosity since years and I found it on a very good deal last year.
After that I'll see... Actually except for VIII, I am really interested in all the remaining (IX, XIIIs, XIV). And don't know why but despite all the bad things I heard about XIIIs, I really want to play them.
Also I might play a second run of XV.

But first I have to finish Xenoblade Chronicles (at least 30/40 hours remaining...). Extremely good so far !
IX is the best FF after 7.
XII is... artistically good, but the writing is extremely weak.

News flash: gamers are dumb and buy any hyped piece of crap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom