• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final XBox 360 to debut at Games Convention

ziran

Gamefront

Microsoft announces the final version of the XBox 360 will be shown for the first time at the Games Convention [Aug 17-21 05] in Leipzig [Germany].

Microsoft will debut the console in a press conference before the show.

update.
there are a couple of updates at gamefront:

1. the price of the xbox 360 will be officially revealed at the Games Convention

2. some walmart stores are supposed to have the following 360 pricing, though no confirmation from ms:
- console $299.96
- games [such as Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3] $59.99
- release date Nov 4th 2005

There's no word on gamefront, that it will be the final xbox 360. It only says that the xbox 360 will be shown to consumers for the first time, but not which hardware revision it will be. I don't think that they'll be able to show final hardware by mid August.

ziran

johnjohnson said:
There's no word on gamefront, that it will be the final xbox 360. It only says that the xbox 360 will be shown to consumers for the first time, but not which hardware revision it will be. I don't think that they'll be able to show final hardware by mid August.
i'm hoping [and i took the news to mean] games shown running on final dev kits, so we get to see what the 360 is really capable of.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Devs still don't have the final kits (afaik), so I doubt they will have any game running on this hardware in a bit more than 3 weeks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if they are launching on November 4th as rumoured, won't the factory need to start churning them out pretty damn soon?

ziran

mrklaw said:
if they are launching on November 4th as rumoured, won't the factory need to start churning them out pretty damn soon?
this is why i expect to see final hardware quality games soon.

surely it's going to take a few months to get things polished and up to speed?

GhaleonEB

mrklaw said:

It's my understanding that the chips are in production ramp, but assembly/test have not been finalized.

Kojima

Games Convention

Weltpremiere von Xbox 360 für Endkunden

Microsoft zeigt die neue Videospiel-Generation in Leipzig

Mehr als 2.000 qm Erlebniswelt für PC- und Konsolenspieler / Ankündigungen zur Markteinführung von Xbox 360 erwartet

21. Juli 2005 – Auf mehr als 2.000 Quadratmetern präsentiert sich Microsoft bei der diesjährigen Games Convention, die vom 18. bis 21. August in Leipzig stattfindet. Auf dem völlig neu gestalteten Messestand in Halle 5 wird weltweit erstmals die neue Xbox 360 den Endkunden präsentiert. Xbox 360 ist die leistungsfähigste Entertainment-Plattform dieses Jahrzehnts und setzt die Standards für die nächste Generation von Videospielen. Alle Xbox 360-Spiele unterstützen bereits diesen Herbst HDTV-Auflösung im 16:9-Widescreen-Format, verfügen über einzigartiges Online-Gaming und umfassende Personalisierungsmöglichkeiten.

Fans der aktuellen Xbox-Konsolen-Generation erhalten darüber hinaus in einem eigenen Standbereich einen umfassenden Überblick zu den neuen Titeln, die in diesem und nächsten Jahr für die Xbox auf den Markt kommen werden. Bis zum Jahr 2007 sind über 200 Spiele diverser Hersteller angekündigt.

Ein weiteres Highlight am Microsoft-Stand ist im "Games for Windows"-Bereich die große Präsentation des Echtzeitstrategiespiels "Age of Empires III". Dieser neue Teil der "Age"-Serie wurde bereits anlässlich der Branchenfachmesse E3 im Mai von Fachzeitschriften zu einem der besten PC-Spiele der Messe gekürt. Unter den Spieleneuheiten, die auf der Games Convention gezeigt werden, sind außerdem Dungeon Siege II (Action-Rollenspiel), Fable - The lost Chapters (Action-Rollenspiel), Rise of Nations (Echtzeitstrategie) und Zoo Tycoon 2 (Simulation).

Am Messevortag finden in der Xbox 360-Arena am Stand (Halle 5, D02) zwei wichtige Pressekonferenzen statt: Um 12:00 Uhr wird Entwicklerlegende Bruce Shelley die neuen Games for Windows und insbesondere das lang erwartete "Age of Empires III" präsentieren. Um 14:30 Uhr werden deutsche und internationale Top-Manager von Microsoft weitere Informationen zum Marktstart der Xbox 360 in diesem Jahr bekannt geben. Für Handelspartner bietet Microsoft im Business Center in Halle 2 separate Besprechungsmöglichkeiten.

Official press release.

TigerKnee

It's getting pretty close to the release date and they still haven't finalized it. Anyone else worried that there's going to be a delay?

I hope not

:(

puck1337

I can't wait to see how much progress has been made in the last few months. It's always amazing to see what people can do as they get dev kits that are closer and closer to the end product.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Many games will not impress and there will be news regarding the system that will make the trolls roam like mad (assuming that there won't be leaks till then)

I fear for GAF.

TigerKnee

Kojima said:
Games Convention

Weltpremiere von Xbox 360 für Endkunden

Microsoft zeigt die neue Videospiel-Generation in Leipzig

Mehr als 2.000 qm Erlebniswelt für PC- und Konsolenspieler / Ankündigungen zur Markteinführung von Xbox 360 erwartet

21. Juli 2005 – Auf mehr als 2.000 Quadratmetern präsentiert sich Microsoft bei der diesjährigen Games Convention, die vom 18. bis 21. August in Leipzig stattfindet. Auf dem völlig neu gestalteten Messestand in Halle 5 wird weltweit erstmals die neue Xbox 360 den Endkunden präsentiert. Xbox 360 ist die leistungsfähigste Entertainment-Plattform dieses Jahrzehnts und setzt die Standards für die nächste Generation von Videospielen. Alle Xbox 360-Spiele unterstützen bereits diesen Herbst HDTV-Auflösung im 16:9-Widescreen-Format, verfügen über einzigartiges Online-Gaming und umfassende Personalisierungsmöglichkeiten.

Fans der aktuellen Xbox-Konsolen-Generation erhalten darüber hinaus in einem eigenen Standbereich einen umfassenden Überblick zu den neuen Titeln, die in diesem und nächsten Jahr für die Xbox auf den Markt kommen werden. Bis zum Jahr 2007 sind über 200 Spiele diverser Hersteller angekündigt.

Ein weiteres Highlight am Microsoft-Stand ist im "Games for Windows"-Bereich die große Präsentation des Echtzeitstrategiespiels "Age of Empires III". Dieser neue Teil der "Age"-Serie wurde bereits anlässlich der Branchenfachmesse E3 im Mai von Fachzeitschriften zu einem der besten PC-Spiele der Messe gekürt. Unter den Spieleneuheiten, die auf der Games Convention gezeigt werden, sind außerdem Dungeon Siege II (Action-Rollenspiel), Fable - The lost Chapters (Action-Rollenspiel), Rise of Nations (Echtzeitstrategie) und Zoo Tycoon 2 (Simulation).

Am Messevortag finden in der Xbox 360-Arena am Stand (Halle 5, D02) zwei wichtige Pressekonferenzen statt: Um 12:00 Uhr wird Entwicklerlegende Bruce Shelley die neuen Games for Windows und insbesondere das lang erwartete "Age of Empires III" präsentieren. Um 14:30 Uhr werden deutsche und internationale Top-Manager von Microsoft weitere Informationen zum Marktstart der Xbox 360 in diesem Jahr bekannt geben. Für Handelspartner bietet Microsoft im Business Center in Halle 2 separate Besprechungsmöglichkeiten.

Official press release.

Thanks for posting that since everyone here speaks German...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
TigerKnee said:
Thanks for posting that since everyone here speaks German...
There isn't much stuff to read in fact.
Basically it says that MS will show the next generation of console in Leipzig, for the first time to the public, all on HDTV displays.
It also says that at 2:30 PM the managers (both international and german) of the Xbox division will announce further details about Xbox 360. Then there will be a Q&A session.

TigerKnee

Blimblim said:
Basically it says that MS will show the next generation of console in Leipzig, for the first time to the public, all on HDTV displays.
It also says that at 2:30 PM the managers (both international and german) of the Xbox division will announce further details about Xbox 360. Then there will be a Q&A session.

Thanks for the translation. I hope we get a price point and date soon.

COCKLES

being watched
Id expect the first batch to be a very limited run. Forget worldwide launch. If you didn't order one in the first wave of pre-orders. Get used to waiting.

dorio

Banned
Blimblim said:
You speak german Blim? Most impressive.

Prine

Banned
To make the november shipment, dont games have to be finished by september? SO thats like 3 weeks to spend using final dev kits?

Blimblim said:
Devs still don't have the final kits (afaik), so I doubt they will have any game running on this hardware in a bit more than 3 weeks.

I thought we heard otherwise, that devs were receiving kits.

It's almost friggen August.

~3 1/2 months till launch (assuming early November launch)

This is starting to feel like the PS2 launch all over again. Not in production, no final dev kits, playable games at < 30%.

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
This is starting to feel like the PS2 launch all over again. Not in production, no final dev kits, playable games at < 30%.

Now all they have to do is go out and ship 90 million consoles in 5 years.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dorio said:
You speak german Blim? Most impressive.
Actually german was my first foreign language in school. I've learned it for 7 painful years but forgot almost everything. English was my 2nd foreign language so I only studied it for 5 years, but I have had much more practice since then :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
sonycowboy said:
I thought we heard otherwise, that devs were receiving kits.

It's almost friggen August.

~3 1/2 months till launch (assuming early November launch)

The devs have beta kits since almost 2 months now, they are quite close to the final hardware but not quite as fast. The final kits are in production right now and may even have been shipped. Iit's been some time since I've talked to a dev so I'm a bit out of touch.

Blimblim said:
The devs have beta kits since almost 2 months now, they are quite close to the final hardware but not quite as fast. The final kits are in production right now and may even have been shipped. Iit's been some time since I've talked to a dev so I'm a bit out of touch.

I certainly didn't mean it to mean the software won't be great. With dev kits for several years and a well established development environment, it's a complete night and day in terms of what PS2 developers had to suffer through.

What I mean is more the race to the actual launch in terms of the hardware and production levels. The dev kits will be a factor, but not nearly as much as the rest of the pipeline.

AB 101

Banned
Blimblim said:

Its almost August.

Clock is ticking.

Gc-Freak

Banned
We will be at GC05 and I hope that we will have all the important press conferences as video for free download.

So let the games begin....

ejdonk

Here you have a more complete translation, though really no news in there.
Also can't guarantee for good English. :lol

Games Convention

World premiere of the xbox360 for consumers

Microsoft shows a new generation of videogaming in Leipzig

More than 2000m² world of PC and console experience for consumers / Announcement about the xbox360 launch expected

21st July 2005 - On more than 2000m² Microsoft represents themselves at this years Games Convention, which takes place from 18. to 21. august in Leipzig. On the brandnew designed booth in hall 5, the xbox360 will be presented to the customer for the first time worldwide. xbox360 is the most powerful entertainment platform of this decade and sets new standards for the next generation of videgames.
All xbox360 games already support HDTV resolution in the 16:9 widescreen format this fall and dispose of unique online gaming and a wide choice of customisation possibilities.

Fans of the current xbox console generation will get a profound overview on the new titles, which will be published in this and the following year for the xbox, in an own area. Until the year 2007 there are over 200 games fom various publishers announced (for xbox).

Another highlight at the Microsoft booth is the big presentation of "Age of Empires III" in the "Games for Windows" area. This new part of the "Age" series has already been voted to be one of the best PC games of the show at this years E3. Other new Games that will be presented at the Games Convention are also Dungeon Siege II, Fable - The lost Chapters, Rise of Nations and Zoo Tycoon 2.

At the day before the fair, two important press converences will take place in the xbox360-arena booth (hall 5, D02). At 12.00 the developer legend Bruce Shelley will present the new Windows games and especially the long awaited "Age of Empires III". At 14.30 German and international top managers of Microsoft will announce further details about the launch of the xbox360, which will be taking place this year.

ziran

1. the price of the xbox 360 will be officially revealed at the Games Convention

2. some walmart stores are supposed to have the following 360 pricing, though no confirmation from ms:
- console $299.96

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ziran said:

August 17, 2:30 PM CET.
Looks like for once MS managed to keep some secrets, I don't know anything about the pricing and availability yet :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
€250 would make things "fair", but I guess €299 is the minimum I can expect if $299 is the US price ;)

But I'm glad we'll finally be getting some launch details.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
*if* its $299, then thats the pre sales-tax price. So Euro price could be 250+VAT = 299 Euro = £199 (go on MS!)(Euro prices always include VAT).

Game prices better stay at £40 though. They are cheaper in the US so might sustain a $60 price, but they are already overpriced in Europe. Nobody will pay £50

Kojima

I asked Markus Kohlstock from Microsoft Germany if this news is true and which Xbox 360 games will be presented at the GC. For all Germans, here is the answer:

Hallo Herr XXX,

die Information kommt angeblich von einer Presseveranstaltung in Spanien.
Wie können die Bekanntgabe des Preises auf der Games Convention weder
bestätigen noch dementieren. Auch die Liste der auf der Messe gezeigten
Titel ist noch nicht final.
In English:

Dear Mr. XXX,

These information are coming from a press event in Spain. We can't confirm or deny a price announcement of Xbox 360 at Games Convention. The list of the games which will be shown at the GC 2005 isn't final yet.

Kojima said:
I asked Markus Kohlstock from Microsoft Germany if this news is true and which Xbox 360 games will be presented at the GC. For all Germans, here is the answer:

In English:

Dear Mr. XXX,

These information are coming from a press event in Spain. We can't confirm or deny a price announcement of Xbox 360 at Games Convention. The list of the games which will be shown at the GC 2005 isn't final yet.

xxx.gif

ziran said:

- console $299.96

This seems to be all stuff we've already known.

1) I'd be surprised at any price <> $299. $349 is too high and $249 is just leaving money on the table. $299 is THE established entry price point for a console. Period. Microsoft already shot themselves in the foot last time around by pricing it too high in Europe and it won't happen again. And given likely supply for the first 6 months, they won't sell any extra systems @ $249, than they would have at $299. Finally, price point management is a huge deal and the higher the initial price, the better you can manage bursts caused by price point changes.

I'm surprised people are even thinking the price point announcement is a big deal.

2) Most front-line games will be $59.99 EA & Activision for sure. I'm a little surprised that Microsoft would join that, as it's the responsibility of the platform holder to appease consumers concerns about pricing.

3) Release date of Nov 4th has been posted time and time again, but I could see it possibly slipping by a week or so based on HW availability.

ziran

sonycowboy said:
This seems to be all stuff we've already known.

1) I'd be surprised at any price <> $299. $349 is too high and $249 is just leaving money on the table. $299 is THE established entry price point for a console. Period. Microsoft already shot themselves in the foot last time around by pricing it too high in Europe and it won't happen again. And given likely supply for the first 6 months, they won't sell any extra systems @ $249, than they would have at $299. Finally, price point management is a huge deal and the higher the initial price, the better you can manage bursts caused by price point changes.

I'm surprised people are even thinking the price point announcement is a big deal.

2) Most front-line games will be $59.99 EA & Activision for sure. I'm a little surprised that Microsoft would join that, as it's the responsibility of the platform holder to appease consumers concerns about pricing.

3) Release date of Nov 4th has been posted time and time again, but I could see it possibly slipping by a week or so based on HW availability.
- i still think $299 is cheap[ish], but the most logical price.

- i think ms wants to be the developers friend as much as possible and launching a $60 pricepoint for aaa games in a way says 'these games are worth it'.

mckmas8808 said:
Guys isn't MGS4 going to be shown the same day?
- kojima is going to talk about the mgs series, but i don't think mgs4 is confirmed to be shown.

I think for people like me* a price point is VERY important.

not so sure/interested about getting the console.

if its, for example, $300 or lower I know I'm getting it.

to make this thread intresting

Roumor has it that Kojima productions will be showing Metal Gear 4 running on PS3 for the first time at this game convention.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
robertsan21 said:
to make this thread intresting

Roumor has it that Kojima productions will be showing Metal Gear 4 running on PS3 for the first time at this game convention.

Very OT :p

All that's been announced is that he'll be there to talk about it or the ideas he has etc. A trailer may be shown, but IIRC, it was latterly said (by Konami?) that it wouldn't be different from that shown at E3.

cja

Agree with mrklaw that 300 Euros is a fair price when you include european VAT/sales tax. 300 euros is around $360 which is $300 + circa 20% VAT. This is assuming Xbox 360 will be $300 in the states of course (have a hunch MS will go for $360 given H&E division's aim of being profitable from the financial year starting July 2006).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
To my understanding about pricing, a lot of publishers get pissed that Sony sells their games for 10 bucks cheaper.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
cja said:
Agree with mrklaw that 300 Euros is a fair price when you include european VAT/sales tax. 300 euros is around $360 which is $300 + circa 20% VAT. This is assuming Xbox 360 will be $300 in the states of course (have a hunch MS will go for $360 given H&E division's aim of being profitable from the financial year starting July 2006).

Heh. Thats assuming price parity. MS might go for something like 349 euro/249 pounds. In the US they need to hurt on the price, and Europe traditionally pays more. Fingers crossed though, I'd love a £200 launch price!

Pimpwerx

$300 is good. $250 would be grrrrreat! I'd be there on Day1 with my buckeroos to get me a 360 @ $250. Hell, I'd pay $300 to get a year of Live at that price, and I detest the ppv style of online gaming. But whatever they do, they can't price it over $300. For no other reason that it'll give Sony license to gouge motherfuckers like no tomorrow. And I just ain't having that. PEACE.

BuzzJive

IF November 4th is the release date, they'd need to have games go gold probably 20 days before that at least. That's what - about 75 days from now? And don't Xbox Live games need to go through a pretty comprehensive testing and approval process?

It would be chaotic to be working on a 360 launch game. Developers will be chained to their desks once those final dev kits arrive.

Top Bottom