• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final XBox 360 to debut at Games Convention

Kojima

robertsan21 said:
to make this thread intresting

Roumor has it that Kojima productions will be showing Metal Gear 4 running on PS3 for the first time at this game convention.

Why don't we have an official Games Convention 2005 Thread? ^^

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
BuzzJive said:
IF November 4th is the release date, they'd need to have games go gold probably 20 days before that at least. That's what - about 75 days from now? And don't Xbox Live games need to go through a pretty comprehensive testing and approval process?

It would be chaotic to be working on a 360 launch game. Developers will be chained to their desks once those final dev kits arrive.

All the certification shit for XBL is supposedly in the development kits

Agent Icebeezy said:
All the certification shit for XBL is supposedly in the development kits

I think what he's getting at is that games can't be certified until they're finished.

1) Most devs don't have final dev kits

+

2) Software needs to be sent for production several weeks before it's launch

+

3) Software needs to go through somewhat rigorous certification before it goes to production.

=

4) Not a heck of a lot of time for devs.

But, this has been true for every single system launch. But this no dev kits 90 days before launch has got to be a little strange.

bill0527

Perfect Dark Zero needs about another year's work on it before I'll lay down $60. This is based upon what I saw in May on the MTV special and the 1up screenshots. I knew the price increase was coming, but I still don't like it. There are going to be very few games that I will pay $60 for.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bill0527 said:
Perfect Dark Zero needs about another year's work on it before I'll lay down $60. This is based upon what I saw in May on the MTV special and the 1up screenshots. I knew the price increase was coming, but I still don't like it. There are going to be very few games that I will pay $60 for.

you should probably wait till you see the final (or near final at x05 or this convention) before writing it off completely.

rastex

Banned
sonycowboy said:
But, this has been true for every single system launch. But this no dev kits 90 days before launch has got to be a little strange.

For the PS2 launch in Japan devs didn't have access to kits that even had a working sound chip. So it's not really strange at all, except maybe for non-japanese consumers since we're used to getting things much later than in Japan. The other thing about certification is that MS is being much smarter with it this time and there are actually fewer requirements for 360 than the first Xbox. And since 99% of the Live stuff is happening in the system on chip itself that means there's very little requirements needed since they're all taken care of by the machine itself which MS programmed.

But ya, launches are tough times for devs, and that's why launch games are usually pretty bad compared to games later on in the lifecycle.

BuzzJive

rastex said:
The other thing about certification is that MS is being much smarter with it this time and there are actually fewer requirements for 360 than the first Xbox. And since 99% of the Live stuff is happening in the system on chip itself that means there's very little requirements needed since they're all taken care of by the machine itself which MS programmed.

Interesting stuff.

But can't developers use their own servers for stuff as well? EA on Live was buggy as hell before. I can't imagine what it will be like if there are actually fewer requirements for certification.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope they show some good stuff. I'm flipping back and forth between grabbing one at launch just for the hell of it, and seeing if I can wait for PS3. I always end up playing only a little (especially with two kids now) and I don't want to waste money.

mrklaw said:
I hope they show some good stuff. I'm flipping back and forth between grabbing one at launch just for the hell of it, and seeing if I can wait for PS3. I always end up playing only a little (especially with two kids now) and I don't want to waste money.
While I'm planning to wait for the PS3 regardless, the good news for fence-sitters is that Sony is going to have a couple events before the X360 launch, where all the details are supposed to be revealed, so you can compare and decide what you want more. Sure, you'll have to filter out the PR stuff, but hands-on playables will definately be at TGS. I think Sony will have a PS3-only event too.

Top Bottom