• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finished reading what I consider to be the best book on the holocaust the other day..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
maus_cover.gif

Yep, I think the best book out there dealing with a survivor's account of the events of the holocaust is a comic book.

I've read The Diary of Anne Frank and Elie Weisel's Night Trilogy (Only Night really dealt with his account) and those were, of course, powerful books. However I think that Maus trumps them simply because of the way it's told. Art sits there with Vladek and just listens to all of his stories about the years he spent barely surviving. Along the way, the book cuts back to the near present to deal with some of the issues the father and son are going through. It's interesting to see how the holocause screwed up Vladek for the rest of his life, there was none of that in Night or Anne Frank (Anne Frank for obvious reasons).

Vladek's experience during the holocaust is nothing short of incredible. It took insane amounts ingenuity and luck for him to be able to have survived. It's really a rather marvelous story, hardened by the fact that most of it is true.

Like the other first hand accounts, the book spends no time on political or social reasoning for the events, it just dives right on in.

I'd recommend it, it's a great read.

Hamfam

ha, I knew you'd say that before I clicked the thread.

Yeah, it's cool. I'm reading it right now.

8bit

Knows the Score
I couldn't imagine it being anything other than this. An absolute must read for anyone interested in sequential storytelling.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wait, so is this a book or a comic series?

Yes, I read Anne Frank and the Wiesel books too. I'm interested in reading some more.

fart

Savant
it's a graphic novel.

art spiegelman++. i've heard he's a bit of an ass and a neurotic chain smoker though.

MASB

it's a graphic novel.

art spiegelman++. i've heard he's a bit of an ass and a neurotic chain smoker though.
--------------------------

And BTW, Spiegelman doesn't make comics, he makes comix. A big difference there. At least in his 70's disco era mind. ;)

I just read Maus about a month or so ago. Great book. One of the best comics I've ever read.

Jim Bowie

I loved Maus! The moments of levity were some of the funniest in all comic history. When his dad was making a cabinent or something.. priceless. Also, very poignant message about the Holocaust, and very good imagery.
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom