• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

L95

What made it so infuriating was that it wasn't even a high crit. It was like 11% and he was only supposed to take like 15 damage or something.
... Huh. I've always considered something over 5 high, though I guess that's due to my fear of RNG

McNum

Conquest Complete! That last map was mean. Thank heavens for Casual Battle Saves so I didn't have to redo Chapter 27 over and over, too.

(All of Conquest.)
I will say, the map designs were way above Birthright's, but I almost feel like it was too much at times. Crazy gimmick maps are fun... but leave a few Routs in there, too. When several maps start with multi-page popups, you're kind of overdoing it. The final map was a real jerk, but Takumi was almost a pushover. As soon as I could reach him, the map was over. It was never in doubt who'd win.

For story purposes, eh, it was servicable. I think both stories suffer from the same flaw, though. Hoshido vs. Nohr would have been plenty drama and cause for battles. Adding the invisible enemies just seem more grafted on than the Valm arc of Awakening. There are invisible dudes. They may or may not be the real bad guys. You get no resolution.

Next... Revelations! What if... Corrin jumped into the canyon and refused to choose sides? A bold strategy, to say the least. Let's see how that works for him.

patapuf

Made chapter 25 conquest needlessly difficult by splitting my army. I wish i realized sooner that you have plenty of time to just do both sides. Chapter is pretty easy when you do it that way.

McNum

So... is Revelation's gimmick to have exceedingly high turn counts for each map while excessively shipping the avatar with either Felicia (or Jakob) and Azura? I mean, the first maps after the choice give you very few options other than having those three support each other.

I reached Revelation 10.
I am glad Casual has mid-chapter saves. Not because I needed to reset, but because I needed a break. That... is a lot of ice. I must break ALL of it. And why don't I get all my army for this one?

So... is Revelation's gimmick to have exceedingly high turn counts for each map while excessively shipping the avatar with either Felicia (or Jakob) and Azura? I mean, the first maps after the choice give you very few options other than having those three support each other.

I reached Revelation 10.
I am glad Casual has mid-chapter saves. Not because I needed to reset, but because I needed a break. That... is a lot of ice. I must break ALL of it. And why don't I get all my army for this one?

Welcome to Revelation, enjoy your stay!

Xenoflare

I reached Revelation 10.

You get your
army eventually with most if not all characters woefully underleveled except for the royals.

Case and point.
Elise and her retainers join you with their stats relatively unchanged from their Conquest iterations but they join 7 chapters later, Silas at the end of the chapter where they joined at level 18 with impossible stats based on his growth rate alone, Odin does zero damage on Paladins at the chapter he joins while getting doubled by everything

McNum

You get your
army eventually with most if not all characters woefully underleveled except for the royals.

Case and point.
Elise and her retainers join you with their stats relatively unchanged from their Conquest iterations but they join 7 chapters later, Silas at the end of the chapter where they joined at level 18 with impossible stats based on his growth rate alone, Odin does zero damage on Paladins at the chapter he joins while getting doubled by everything
Well that's... encouraging.

Silas has earned the nickname "Captain Reset" over the Birthright and Conquest games for me. If everything goes well, someone will crit Silas. I paired him with Rinkah and Effie respectively just to get a beefy +Def pair up for him so he wouldn't be the fragilest cavalier ever.

The plan, I suppose, is to get to chapter 18 and start pairing people off to unlock the child paralogues. That way they all arrive with Offspring Seals, right?

I suppose I should think about who to pair my avatar with, too. I could just go with the severe hinting the game gives towards Azura, but... I don't wanna. Got Anna this time, though. Either everyone else is weak or she's awesome, because she keeps up with the avatar, mostly.

Draxal

I reached Revelation 10.

Chapter 10 is the worst in the game, honestly it's probably the worst fire emblem map that I can remember.

Velcro Fly

Getting into Conquest a little more.

How often do you get the invasion castle levels? I am right before chapter 9 so one of the characters I just got was a little below level but the invasion I got him a few kills and he leveled up nicely.

I have the DLC so I can grind but I'm intrigued by not doing so.

McNum

Up to chapter 15 in Revelation. So far, so good. Although there's one thing I really should have seen coming, but I didn't.

Revelation is really, really starved for DVP. You get ALL the buildings, but they still cost 1 DVP yo build and one more per upgrade. That's a lot more than you need in Birthright and Conquest, and those were barely enough as-is.

So, what's the quickest way to get more DVP? I still need about seven to build and upgrade everything I have available so far, not including statues or future builds and upgrades. You get one for any battle, two for invading someone. Is there a way to get even more?

Fauve

Up to chapter 15 in Revelation. So far, so good. Although there's one thing I really should have seen coming, but I didn't.

Revelation is really, really starved for DVP. You get ALL the buildings, but they still cost 1 DVP yo build and one more per upgrade. That's a lot more than you need in Birthright and Conquest, and those were barely enough as-is.

So, what's the quickest way to get more DVP? I still need about seven to build and upgrade everything I have available so far, not including statues or future builds and upgrades. You get one for any battle, two for invading someone. Is there a way to get even more?

Easy seize castle battles work well.

Velcro Fly

Conquest 10 was really fun.

Also on Conquest 9 I feel like the end goal was to level Azura so I got her to 15. She hit 16 on Conquest 10 and her HP growths are ridiculous compared to my Birthright playthrough. Pretty sure she has hit HP like 6 or 7 times already.

I'm enjoying Conquest more too. Playing on Casual but still playing hard so that no one dies. Didn't lose anyone on 9 or 10 that I did today. Need to figure out marriage pairings soon too.

NeonZ

Getting into Conquest a little more.

How often do you get the invasion castle levels?

There are only three invasion battles. They aren't random, in spite of lacking story scenes.

Battling against weak online castles is pretty much the best choice. It's also the best way to get quick support points.

McNum

Easy seize castle battles work well.

Battling against weak online castles is pretty much the best choice. It's also the best way to get quick support points.
Well I'll just search by Battle Points. Should give me some easy targets, I suppose.

Speaking of Support points. I know that in both Birthright and Conquest, you miss out on at least one child if you have a male avatar marry any first generation female who can support anyone other than the avatar. Is that also the case in Revelation? Since we get both sides' units, can you get all 21 children no matter who the avatar marries?

Well I'll just search by Battle Points. Should give me some easy targets, I suppose.

Speaking of Support points. I know that in both Birthright and Conquest, you miss out on at least one child if you have a male avatar marry any first generation female who can support anyone other than the avatar. Is that also the case in Revelation? Since we get both sides' units, can you get all 21 children no matter who the avatar marries?

I think it's the same in Rev since the Nohr and Hoshidan common marriage pools are symmetrical.

So you need to make the Avatar marry one of the limited support characters or not marry.

McNum

I think it's the same in Rev since the Nohr and Hoshidan common marriage pools are symmetrical.

So you need to make the Avatar marry one of the limited support characters or not marry.
That annoys me more than it should. So Anna or one of the second generation units.

Also, I get the feeling some of the farming castles are not entirely... honest about their skill acquiring methods. An avatar with Aptitude seems questionable. An Azura with Replicate is interesting, though. All she has to do is marry a Ninja to get that, so it's not impossible.

Does that work as well as it sounds? I didn't buy those skill because, well, I don't want to break the game any more than I already am... yet. But if you have Azura replicate herself, can both of her sing?

Xenoflare

Anybody want to spoil Birthright for me? I finally got the craving for a Fire Emblem and I want to play revelations, skipping Birthright.

Corrin goes to Hoshido and they embarked on a jounrey to invade Nohr before it invades them, killing Xander and Elise in the process, Garon is actually a monster dragon, get's rekt in one turn, the end. Also Hinoka has almost zero screen time despite of the fact that she is a royal sister

I am only half joking when I typed that,

NeonZ

Does that work as well as it sounds? I didn't buy those skill because, well, I don't want to break the game any more than I already am... yet. But if you have Azura replicate herself, can both of her sing?

No, Azura's copy can't sing.

McNum

Oh, I just found a fun little detail. If you played Awakening, please DO pair up Subaki and Selena in your Revelation game.
Selena has an extra little scene at the end of Caeldori's paralogue. I didn't expect that. But... it was the reason I paired up those two. They actually do comment on how Caeldori is the spitting image of Cordelia.
I take it that's a unique interaction? I can't think of any other pairings that'd reference Awakening this hard, at least. Odin and Laslow don't have anything like this, do they?

Well that's one main objective for this game completed. See if that actually did something. It does! One down, twenty to go. I'm going to have to buy Eternal Seals by the wagon load before I reach the end if I'm doing 22 paralogues. (Kids + Mozu)

TannerDemoz

Accidentally saved over my file -.-

Started again on hard mode but I've lost Camilla.

Turned Odin into a Samurai and he's a machine. Ophelia is also doing major damage.

I've got too many characters to choose from, though.

Currently my usual team is:

Odin
Felicia
Silas (thinking of getting rid?)
OP Effie
Niles
Beruka
OP Benny
Selena (might swap for Laslow?)

Currently on chapter 16. Is Kaze worth using?

Also considered turning Keaton into a fighter, but I've heard he's insane later on if you just leave him.

Basically: do I swap out Silas and Selena for better characters? Should I be using Kaze?

I've not done partnering that well; Benny with Selena, Azura with Silas, Niles with Beruka for now

Rafavert

Hi, guys. DLC question:

I have Conquest and am playing a borrowed copy of Birthright (so we're talking 2 physical games).

If i buy DLC in Birthright, it will be linked to my account and thus available in Conquest as well, right?

Hi, guys. DLC question:

I have Conquest and am playing a borrowed copy of Birthright (so we're talking 2 physical games).

If i buy DLC in Birthright, it will be linked to my account and thus available in Conquest as well, right?

DLC is tied to your 3DS (account), so yeah it will work.

Shiggy

Played through both Birthright and Conquest now. Is Revelations still worth it? Am a bit burnt out now, but want to know more about Garon and Azura. Hoping some questions will be answered in Revelations.

Played through both Birthright and Conquest now. Is Revelations still worth it? Am a bit burnt out now, but want to know more about Garon and Azura. Hoping some questions will be answered in Revelations.
revelations tells a much more complete story. Take a decent length break before starting it though. I had more fun with it than the other two campaigns, but the break is definitely needed

Corrin goes to Hoshido and they embarked on a jounrey to invade Nohr before it invades them, killing Xander and Elise in the process, Garon is actually a monster dragon, get's rekt in one turn, the end. Also Hinoka has almost zero screen time despite of the fact that she is a royal sister

I am only half joking when I typed that,
So it plays out like I expected to play out. Now I'm expecting two to drop on Revelations

Draxal

I mean it does answers your questions (and some dlc answers questions posed by questions in revelations).

However, at the same time, if you're burnt out I'd avoid it.

tauroxd

I mean it does answers your questions (and some dlc answers questions posed by questions in revelations).

However, at the same time, if you're burnt out I'd avoid it.

Avoiding it it's not good, whay should be done is to take a break like it has been said,,, It is what I did and I am really enjoying Revelation too, as much as the other two.

McNum

Revelation Spoilers up to 18.

If you look up "unfair" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Ryoma and Xander in Attack Stance. That just ain't right. Between those two and the avatar, I can literally say "You take the left, you take the right, and I'll take the center" and have it work!

I just completed chapter 18, and we're finally in Valla. I guess I should get used to invisible enemies from here on out. Chapters 16+17 caught me by surprise. I just wanted to do one chapter and then they were linked... I'm not a fan of the preparations screen without a Save button. I mean, I get that you don't want to end up in a situation where the player has an unwinnable situation and can't return to the castle, but still... Ah well, Casual has Battle Saves.

So, now that the save file says 19, it's time to figure out some pairings. I wanted one royal marriage just to see how the endings deal with a Hoshido/Nohr royal wedding and I got one of those set up. Are there any cross-nation pairings that are recommended? Other than Subaki/Selena, of course.

Xenoflare

Revelation Spoilers up to 18.

If you look up "unfair" in the dictionary, there's a picture of Ryoma and Xander in Attack Stance. That just ain't right. Between those two and the avatar, I can literally say "You take the left, you take the right, and I'll take the center" and have it work!

I just completed chapter 18, and we're finally in Valla. I guess I should get used to invisible enemies from here on out. Chapters 16+17 caught me by surprise. I just wanted to do one chapter and then they were linked... I'm not a fan of the preparations screen without a Save button. I mean, I get that you don't want to end up in a situation where the player has an unwinnable situation and can't return to the castle, but still... Ah well, Casual has Battle Saves.

So, now that the save file says 19, it's time to figure out some pairings. I wanted one royal marriage just to see how the endings deal with a Hoshido/Nohr royal wedding and I got one of those set up. Are there any cross-nation pairings that are recommended? Other than Subaki/Selena, of course.

For me Leo/Sakura is very strong, my Sakura was blessed with speed that rivals my speed boon Corrin and surpassed Ryoma, coupled with Shining Bow with Leo she's dealing stupid high damages. Plus Forrest is going to be magical with that pink hair

McNum

For me Leo/Sakura is very strong, my Sakura was blessed with speed that rivals my speed boon Corrin and surpassed Ryoma, coupled with Shining Bow with Leo she's dealing stupid high damages. Plus Forrest is going to be magical with that pink hair
Hm. I could do that. Neither Leo nor Sakura are spoken for yet and I can just find a Nohr castle with a Dark Dragon in it to spam rods with Sakura to level her up. Or do a Challenge on the ninja map with the spikes. Endless chip damage is a healer's best friend. And how a healer makes a friend, too. Maybe just buy a bunch of cheap rods and have Sakura and Elise do a heal-off to gain levels.

All I got are Avatar/Caeldori, Subaki/Selena, and Camilla/Takumi. I want to find something fun for all the royals including Azura as a first priority. And Arthur. I wonder what the most crack cross-nation pairing he has is... Setsuna?

Also considering making Caeldori a Dark Falcon. I mean, it's just not Cordelia without Galeforce.

hort

Neo Member
Finally got around to starting this after having it for a couple of months. Playing Birthright currently.

Is there an equivalent to Donnel from Awakening in this game? Weaker at first but turns into one of the better characters later?

Are there any characters I should avoid using?
Any that I should make a priority to use?

I usually like to try everyone out and build my team based on who I like personality wise mixed with how strong they are, but would like to make sure my team composition is still good.

Linkark07

Banned
Finally got around to starting this after having it for a couple of months. Playing Birthright currently.

Is there an equivalent to Donnel from Awakening in this game? Weaker at first but turns into one of the better characters later?

Are there any characters I should avoid using?
Any that I should make a priority to use?

I usually like to try everyone out and build my team based on who I like personality wise mixed with how strong they are, but would like to make sure my team composition is still good.
Mozu is the villager from this game. Opinions about her... vary to say the least. If you can and want to, reclass her into Dread Fighter.

Birthright, I would say Subaki. Never have found him useful. Others I tend to ignore are Hinata, Rinkah, Setsuna and Azama.

Royals should be priority obviously. Oboro is also a good non royal, same with Kaze, Silas and Keaton. And if you want to capture enemy units, also Orochi.

Mozu is the villager from this game. Opinions about her... vary to say the least. If you can and want to, reclass her into Dread Fighter.

Birthright, I would say Subaki. Never have found him useful. Others I tend to ignore are Hinata, Rinkah, Setsuna and Azama.

Royals should be priority obviously. Oboro is also a good non royal, same with Kaze, Silas and Keaton. And if you want to capture enemy units, also Orochi.

wut, those 3 are fine

Saizo is the best ninja in Birthright, and remember to use tonics liberally! In all 3 routes, but especially in Birthright where money practically grows from trees.

Draxal

Official art of Odin, Niles and Hinata.

Odin's is my favorite.

CpF_WmWVIAASQrD.jpg

CpF_Vo-UkAAmGPe.jpg

patapuf

JebaćBiedę;213166458 said:
I know, old thread but I thought that this may be the best place to ask:

Does german version of Conquest have english subtitles?

Its multi 5, so the text is in english/french/german/italian/spanish.

There's not much voice acting though, so i wouldn't call the translation "subtitles".

Dee Dee

When you play Revelations even though you are already burned out on Fire Emblem, and you play it on Classic but can't be arsed to reset every time someone dies because you are swimming in units and you lose Rinkah and Charlotte but don't restart because they are good awful units in the first place and then you start planing out pairings and everyone on the internet tells you that Rinkah and Charlotte are just the very best for Ryoma and Xander's kids.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Currently entertaining the idea of Camilla/Ryoma for some nice skills on Shiro. Any non-Charlotte suggestions for Xander?

I am avoiding the pairs I already had on my Birthright and Conquest playthroughs. Not sure which Dwyer to get. I want Dwyer, Asugi, Ophelia, Cucumber-Guy and maybe Kiragi and Shigure. Forrest and Ignatius were mega useless in my Conquest playthrough, so no love for Leo or Benny this time.
Kamui is marrying Silas because I want to.
I also got Sakura!Rhajat because I missed out on her in Birthright and try to get Arthur's kid as I missed him in Conquest.

Also, Revelations is fun to play! And the finally feed you some backstory, thank god.

When you play Revelations even though you are already burned out on Fire Emblem, and you play it on Classic but can't be arsed to reset every time someone dies because you are swimming in units and you lose Rinkah and Charlotte but don't restart because they are good awful units in the first place and then you start planing out pairings and everyone on the internet tells you that Rinkah and Charlotte are just the very best for Ryoma and Xander's kids.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Currently entertaining the idea of Camilla/Ryoma for some nice skills on Shiro. Any non-Charlotte suggestions for Xander?

I am avoiding the pairs I already had on my Birthright and Conquest playthroughs. Not sure which Dwyer to get. I want Dwyer, Asugi, Ophelia, Cucumber-Guy and maybe Kiragi and Shigure. Forrest and Ignatius were mega useless in my Conquest playthrough, so no love for Leo or Benny this time.
I also got Sakura!Rhajat because I missed out on her in Birthright and try to get Arthur's kid as I missed him in Conquest.

Also, Revelations is fun to play! And the finally feed you some backstory, thank god.

Hinoka is a good with Xander.

CazTGG

¯_(ツ)_/¯

It's nice that they, for lack of a better word, reveal who's actually pulling the strings but the fact that a game so clearly trying to be a more complex scenario end up being
a dragon like series tradition would dictate at this point
is an incredibly dissatisfying answer to the main question it raises in terms of what's just or right in this fantasy realm, if that makes any sense. I found the maps in Revelation to be overall weaker than Birthright and especially Conquest but i'd prefer not to be a complete downer since i'm very lukewarm on that path.

WolfeTone

Played Conquest for a while at release but got burned out after a bunch of gimmicky maps in the later half of the game
last chapters I played involved ninjas in a cave, a time limited map in a mansion, a map where the wind would move my units, one with a bunch of beasts that could pass through my unit, and one which I quit on which involved a bunch of monsters in a cave
Hard/Classic. Have played all Western-released FE games.

Thinking of starting again with a fresh character. Hard/Classic again. I also have Birthright so I could switch to that instead, but I think I would kind of prefer to stick with Conquest.

Any tips for making Conquest a bit less tedious or just to stop me getting burned out? I tried to avoid using the Royals to a certain extent as I dislike pre-promotes, I'm sensing this is a mistake. Any other units to focus on/avoid? Good boon/bane for Corrin? Female Corrin is better for pairing?

Dee Dee

I tried to avoid using the Royals

There's your problem?

If you don't want to make the game too easy, don't use Xander, but Camilla is quite a fun risk/reward character and I enjoyed patiently training her tome skills instead of just having her be the natural born axe murderer she is.
Promoting Elise to a magic user class also makes her beastly.
You were right to bench Leo though.

Having those beastly units allows for more aggressive tactics, which might help you get through maps in a more fun way? Overall I think Conquest was more interesting and varied then Birthright and you would always consider the map objective and how to achieve it without losses over just turtleing and eliminating enemies one by one. If that's what you prefer though, switch to Birthright, ignore all Royals and turtle to your heart's content. There are hardly any gimmick maps there - actually you'll revisit a lot of the Conquest maps there, just without the gimmicks.

WolfeTone

There's your problem?

If you don't want to make the game too easy, don't use Xander, but Camilla is quite a fun risk/reward character and I enjoyed patiently training her tome skills instead of just having her be the natural born axe murderer she is.
Promoting Elise to a magic user class also makes her beastly.
You were right to bench Leo though.

Having those beastly units allows for more aggressive tactics, which might help you get through maps in a more fun way? Overall I think Conquest was more interesting and varied then Birthright and you would always consider the map objective and how to achieve it without losses over just turtleing and eliminating enemies one by one. If that's what you prefer though, switch to Birthright, ignore all Royals and turtle to your heart's content. There are hardly any gimmick maps there - actually you'll revisit a lot of the Conquest maps there, just without the gimmicks.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

I used Xander, Elise and Leo to a certain extent but found them all pretty underwhelming. To be fair, I felt like a lot of my units were pretty weak even into the later parts of the game, maybe I just got screwed by the RNG or maybe I got softened up by the easiness of Awakening. Next time I try it, I'll use just Elise and Camilla.

TannerDemoz

Can someone please give me some advice for Chapter 23. It's insanely difficult.

Playing on hard/classic.

Current way of working it is sending Xander in paired with Camilla (40+def) and having him bait enemies.

Archers with counter are incredibly annoying to beat though. I don't have any decent magic users either.

neoemonk

I was surprised to see this pop up here, figured it was in community by now.

I just went back to Conquest after a long layoff. I love Fire Emblem so much. I'm going to buy all three paths eventually and play through the entire enormous saga.

Just from poking around online a little, it seems like the old "wait until level 20 to use the master seal" still applies, but the other seals don't seem as clear. I guess if you really want to change classes they are useful, but in general I'm happy with what the game gives.

I'm doing Classic-Normal and I still usually die a few times before clearing a map. I enjoy it, but I'm not good at it. I rush sometimes and screw up. Recently examples would be melee attacking an archer without looking at skills - they had counter and it was enough to kill my unit. Just being careless. I have the same problem in chess. I grow impatient and make foolish moves.

I played Awakenings on classic, no reset run. Lost a lot of units and felt like I missed out a little, so now I'm a serial resetter for Fates.

I was surprised to see this pop up here, figured it was in community by now.

I just went back to Conquest after a long layoff. I love Fire Emblem so much. I'm going to buy all three paths eventually and play through the entire enormous saga.

Just from poking around online a little, it seems like the old "wait until level 20 to use the master seal" still applies, but the other seals don't seem as clear. I guess if you really want to change classes they are useful, but in general I'm happy with what the game gives.

I'm doing Classic-Normal and I still usually die a few times before clearing a map. I enjoy it, but I'm not good at it. I rush sometimes and screw up. Recently examples would be melee attacking an archer without looking at skills - they had counter and it was enough to kill my unit. Just being careless. I have the same problem in chess. I grow impatient and make foolish moves.
use the other seals to swap around classes for skills. By the end of the game my main army characters had swapped into like 7 different classes

Top Bottom