• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

Renewed

Since I didn't reach 20/20 with any characters in my Conquest Lunatic run except Corrin, Xander and Leo, I'd say whenever it makes things more convenient. Unless you're taking the time to (grind) reach 20/20, early promoting will be the case.

So after I beat each of the paths on hard, I've been kind of meandering through all of the paths on Lunatic, and I finally got to Conquest 10.

And I decided that I would try to prevent
Takumi from using the Dragon Vein on turn 6.
So I successfully made it to the boss without too much trouble and decided to see if he would attack me
instead of using his action to use the Dragon Vein and drain the water.
Which he did
AND THEN PROCEEDED TO USE THE DRAGON VEIN ANYWAY SOMEHOW, THAT CHEATING BALL OF ANGST.

And then I decided to at least get my vengeance and defeat him. And he dodged a 76% hit. Yay, Fire Emblem.

neoemonk

Since I didn't reach 20/20 with any characters in my Conquest Lunatic run except Corrin, Xander and Leo, I'd say whenever it makes things more convenient. Unless you're taking the time to (grind) reach 20/20, early promoting will be the case.

That's true, I hadn't considered that I won't have the chance to make max level in my second class if I take my first to 20. Maybe I'll switch at 10.

NeonZ

I really don't recommend class changing at level 10, since that will cripple the amount of experience you gain afterwards. Fates doesn't have a reverse difficulty curve, so there's no problem in waiting for level 20 before promoting.

As far as final level goes, it depends on how many children paralogues you're going to do, and when. If you leave them to end game, the chapters are harder, but they can give a lot of experience and the children basically won't need experience.

Aters

Playing Revelation now and I have two complaints:

1. Why can't I restart a chapter? When I fuck up (say someone died, but I haven't lost), I want to restart the chapter, but it seems there is no "return to title screen" option. Every time I need to exit the game and enter the game again, which is some last century bullshit. Or maybe there is a way to restart I just haven't found out?

2. Who thought it's a good idea to disable saving between two chapters? There are many ways to make a game challenging, and IS chose the cheapest way. I can't save my progress for 20 minutes of gameplay? That shit is unacceptable! Fuck chapter 17.

I really don't recommend class changing at level 10, since that will cripple the amount of experience you gain afterwards. Fates doesn't have a reverse difficulty curve, so there's no problem in waiting for level 20 before promoting.

As far as final level goes, it depends on how many children paralogues you're going to do, and when. If you leave them to end game, the chapters are harder, but they can give a lot of experience and the children basically won't need experience.

Birthright is easy throughout, Conquest actually gets harder at the end, Revelation has the classic Fire Emblem curve of getting easier later on...doesn't matter outside of Corrin it's not worth waiting around until 20 to promote in any route, and it hasn't been before for the most part the people who told you to promote at 20 in GBA are wrong.

That being said don't promote at 10 promote somewhere around 14-16, earlier for staffbots.

edit: promoting earlier also means picking up promoted skills earlier, and this time around promoting early also lowers your internal level too

1. Why can't I restart a chapter? When I fuck up (say someone died, but I haven't lost), I want to restart the chapter, but it seems there is no "return to title screen" option. Every time I need to exit the game and enter the game again, which is some last century bullshit. Or maybe there is a way to restart I just haven't found out?

2. Who thought it's a good idea to disable saving between two chapters? There are many ways to make a game challenging, and IS chose the cheapest way. I can't save my progress for 20 minutes of gameplay? That shit is unacceptable! Fuck chapter 17.

Press L + R + Select + Start at the same time to restart the game.

CazTGG

1. You can restart the game by pressing L+R+Satrt+Select. If you'd prefer your characters to live but still be able to complete a chapter, switch to Casual Mode.

2. Pair up Ryoma, Corrin & Xander (when he arrives) with another unit and you'll be golden short of an unexpected critical hit. Chapter 16 & 17 are not very hard when you have two of the best units in the game with their own exclusive and powerful weapons, even if they are back-to-back.

Any DLC Worth playing guys?

What kind of things are you looking for? More character development or new classes/items?

I ended up buying both packs because pretty much every map had something I wanted.

But to be honest there are some maps I end up replaying more than the rest: Museum Melee to grind weapons for forging, Ghastly Gold to grind gold and that's about it really. The rest are nice, but I only played them 1 or 2 times for the items.

Dee Dee

I planned out some kid S-pairings then realized how incestous some of them are, am I a bad parent?
The game is weird in that regard.
For example it is weird what kind of pairings they allow. Hana/Keaton is up to S-Rank but Oboro/Keaton does nothing?
So I keep thinking who to pair with Leo and considering Elise for her magic stat only to remember they are siblings. Marrying Ryoma as the avatar is fine however. Feels really arbitrary at this point.

Frost_Ace

What kind of things are you looking for? More character development or new classes/items?

I ended up buying both packs because pretty much every map had something I wanted.

But to be honest there are some maps I end up replaying more than the rest: Museum Melee to grind weapons for forging, Ghastly Gold to grind gold and that's about it really. The rest are nice, but I only played them 1 or 2 times for the items.

Get the gold one and experience one if you want to ruin the game!

I finished the game (conquest), I just wanted some good designed maps to have fun with.

I finished the game (conquest), I just wanted some good designed maps to have fun with.

Hmm, do you like using your own units or using predefined units?

Paradise Scramble, Royal Royale and the Heirs of Fate arc are all challenging maps, but you use units you're given, not your own.

If you want to use your units, there's Vanguard Dawn, which is a pretty cool survive/slaughter mission based on Radiant Dawn's Part 2 Endgame.

A lot more effort was put into Fates's DLC, but their quality is very situational IMO.

Hero

So I initially played Birthright and Conquest on Classic/Hard back when the game came out but Conquest was so brutal and the fact that the story was lame kind of killed the momentum for Revelations for me. I'm on Chapter 9 in it and pondering putting the difficultly down to Normal to breeze through the game just for the story. Am I missing out on any genuinely challenging maps by doing so?

So I initially played Birthright and Conquest on Classic/Hard back when the game came out but Conquest was so brutal and the fact that the story was lame kind of killed the momentum for Revelations for me. I'm on Chapter 9 in it and pondering putting the difficultly down to Normal to breeze through the game just for the story. Am I missing out on any genuinely challenging maps by doing so?

Revelation difficulty is between Birthright and Conquest and I had no issues with Revelation Hard, so I'd suggest sticking with it. Maybe take a break from the games until you've forgotten the bad bits from Conquest? : P

As for your other question, hmm, there are so tough-ish maps, but a lot of them are gimmicky (which is the point).

Hero

Revelation difficulty is between Birthright and Conquest and I had no issues with Revelation Hard, so I'd suggest sticking with it. Maybe take a break from the games until you've forgotten the bad bits from Conquest? : P

As for your other question, hmm, there are so tough-ish maps, but a lot of them are gimmicky (which is the point).

Thanks for the input. I blitzed through the first two games in the first month and then shelved it until now. If it doesn't ever reach Conquest hard difficulty I guess I shouldn't have a problem with continuing on like this. The gameplay and maps are better but damn I hate most of the cast.

OMG Aero

Without spoiling anything else, could someone let me know what chapter number you stop getting new party members at in Birthright?
I'm at chapter 17 and I'm thinking I should start matching characters up so I can get the kid characters, but I'd rather wait until I have all the options available if it's not too near the end of the game.

Without spoiling anything else, could someone let me know what chapter number you stop getting new party members at in Birthright?
I'm at chapter 17 and I'm thinking I should start matching characters up so I can get the kid characters, but I'd rather wait until I have all the options available if it's not too near the end of the game.

13 unless you want to hit on Izana or Yukimura.

Chapter 26 of Conquest was so intense. I mean, I was able to beat it after just one reset(which doesn't happen often in Conquest Hard/Classic), but I think no other chapter took me that long to beat (more than 2 hours). Danger everywhere, especially that last room with those hammer and beast killer enemies. The reinforcement at the end was terrifying.

Hero

Just beat Chapter 12 and I swear almost all of the Hoshido units I have so far are complete losers except for Takumi.

Just beat Chapter 12 and I swear almost all of the Hoshido units I have so far are complete losers except for Takumi.

That's funny, seeing as both Sky Knights, Saizo, Kagero, Reina, and Oboro have all joined by then, only counting the Birthright exclusive units.

Speaking of Takumi, something funny I recently noticed:
Takumi's growths before factoring class:
50 HP | 35 Str | 0 Mag | 60 Skl | 40 Spd | 45 Lck | 35 Def | 20 Res

Odin's growths before factoring class:
55 HP | 35 Str | 30 Mag | 55 Skl | 35 Spd | 60 Lck | 40 Def | 20 Res
Sniper!Takumi @ 20/20
44.8 HP | 29 Str | 0 Mag | 38 Skl | 30.4 Spd | 28 Lck | 24.6 Def | 10.6 Res

Sniper!Odin @ 20/20
46.1 HP | 29 Str | 12.2 Mag | 36 Skl | 30 Spd | 31 Lck | 26 Def | 10.8 Res

Now, I'm not saying you should make Odin an Archer (or use Odin for that matter for any reason other than to get Ophelia). I'm just saying that, statistically, he's as good as a royal. :V You see!? Odin's good, people!!

Shinypogs

They are all trash.

Saizo is a bit under leveled but serviceable with some TLC, I don't care about the rest of the early crew. IS screwed up the stats of units vs when you recruit them so badly in rev. I know they want you to just use the royals and Corrin but ffs they didn't have to make more than have the cast garbage in order to encourage it. It's still possible to use almost anyone without grinding if you're clever about portioning out xp though. Of all the ninjas only Saizo has ever been consistently good for me regardless of path.

Still I prefer most of the conquest cast in revelations. You just can't go wrong with Keaton and Velouria once you can have both and I prefer Wyvern riders/lords to Pegasus knights, although a dark falcon is nice to have around if you're not above using the bonus rewards.

Okay, lets pick this back up, chapter 23 conquest...
*30 minutes later*
Fuuuuuuck this game! one mistake and all that time was wasted, WASTED!

Story of this entry for me, except at this point I really can't afford any more losses so restart time.
I've got to the point now where my army is comprised of a few solid units with otherwise useless filler units attached to them for pair up boosts, It just feels like units can't go alone anymore but I am sucking pretty hard this time around.

Yeeeees, I just beat the endgame (Conquest Hard/Classic) without any casualties after my second reset. Felt even more satisfying than beating chapter 10. Conquest as a whole was freaking brutal. I think I'll never do a lunatic run. Definitely the most difficult FE I've played so far(played most of the localized games). I very much appreciate the difficulty though. Chapter 10,23,25 and endgame were the most difficult chapters imo. (Honorable mentions:12,21,26).

I think I'll play Revelations next. Is the story better than Conquest's? I thought Conquest's story was OK (not bad, but no good either).

Edit:
Okay, lets pick this back up, chapter 23 conquest...
*30 minutes later*
Fuuuuuuck this game! one mistake and all that time was wasted, WASTED!
Yeah I also stopped playing for a while after my first attempt of Chapter 23. I picked it up again, did some paralogues(aka grinding in Conquest) and was able to beat it.

NeonZ

It has many explanations about questions that are left unanswered in Conquest itself, but the pacing of the story (and recruitment of characters) is really bad, with few characters joining in the initial chapters, only to most of them start joining one after another in the 10s and then the 2nd half of the plot suffers from a lack of unique enemies in the antagonist army. Conquest also handles the sword upgrade scenes much better than it, IMO.

It also really doesn't do a good job in giving character to the final antagonist compared to some of the smaller story based DLC (Invisible History and Heirs of Fate).

Thanks for the reply. The characters are the main reason I want to play Revelations so it's dissapointing to hear that they butchered the character recruitment.
Regarding the story, I think answers to unanswered questions sounds intriguing enough.

Are there multiple/diverse objectives like in Conquest or only “Rout the enemy“?

CazTGG

Thanks for the reply. The characters are the main reason I want to play Revelations so it's dissapointing to hear that they butchered the character recruitment.
Regarding the story, I think answers to unanswered questions sounds intriguing enough.

Are there multiple/diverse objectives like in Conquest or only “Rout the enemy“?

EDIT: Misread the question. There's certainly some variety to the stages in Revelation but they tend to be among the weakest of Fates' levels, save for Chapter 12. Lots of creative ideas on display, but it lacks the polish of Conquest's campaign, and that's just the original stages. The recurring ones feel so thoughtless in execution with how they're designed like Chapter 15, where it's a route map that has ballistae and walls when you're supposed to march to the ships and route every enemy you see. It makes a lot more sense in Chapter 10 of Conquest given how challenging it was to defend the goal in that game since you'd use that equipment to hold the line until reinforcements arrived.

One thing I do feel is worth noting about Revelation is that while it does answer several of the questions raised by the other two paths...the answers it gives are incredibly dissatisfying and badly executed. I won't spoil what they are, needless to say that without some of the DLC, the main villain's motivations make them seem rather one-note and derivative in a series whose villains are often the highlights if their massive cast of characters (Lyon, Nergal, etc.), to say nothing of the character
deaths
this time around.

Seems like Conquest is the best path overall, as expected. Well, I think I'll play Bravely Second now and Revelations afterwards. Thank you for your detailed replies.

Hero

Saizo is a bit under leveled but serviceable with some TLC, I don't care about the rest of the early crew. IS screwed up the stats of units vs when you recruit them so badly in rev. I know they want you to just use the royals and Corrin but ffs they didn't have to make more than have the cast garbage in order to encourage it. It's still possible to use almost anyone without grinding if you're clever about portioning out xp though. Of all the ninjas only Saizo has ever been consistently good for me regardless of path.

Still I prefer most of the conquest cast in revelations. You just can't go wrong with Keaton and Velouria once you can have both and I prefer Wyvern riders/lords to Pegasus knights, although a dark falcon is nice to have around if you're not above using the bonus rewards.

Yeah, I just beat Chapter 17 of Rev. They seriously made so many of the retainers absolute garbage and the fact that they show up in this chapter and are a huge fucking liability made me pissed that I had to restart a few times, so glad they let you save after 16 (/s). Silas has been my boy through Birthright and Conquest but I think he's pretty underwhelming here. Might have to bench him. :/

....wait, is this Birthright or Revelation

if it's Revelation a lot of the units I mentioned suck, but even there Hayato, Reina, and Kagero are good

Rev. Everyone sucks. I had Hayato impregnate Nyx just to get a good Rahjat or however you spell her name. Kicked her parents to the curb.

Strimei

I took a break from the game, had finished Birthright and am now back to finishing Conquest before going to Revelation.

I'm in the middle of my usual "get everyone a-ranked with everyone and see which pairings are the cutest" thing (I never really pair characters for optimal reasons. I'm a shipper at heart, I want them to be cute together), which takes ages, but eh.

Why is Kaze so great? I want to pair him with everyone.

Well, continuing my trend of only posting in here to vent...
Fuuuuuuuuuck chapter 24, I think this map is a new record for me attempting and failing, safe to say ive bungled this run. Ended up losing too many good units across the campaign to the point where even my sturdy ones cant just carry this mission thanks to the guy with the health halving staff which in itself is a tremendous difference maker.
I think conquest has beaten me, on normal at that. Having beaten all the previous western released FE games on their default difficulty I'm surprised conquest has had me struggle this much.

It's good for sure, varied maps are a leap over awakening but honestly i'm not digging much else and as a personal gripe I dislike the pair up system.

Shinypogs

Well, continuing my trend of only posting in here to vent...
Fuuuuuuuuuck chapter 24, I think this map is a new record for me attempting and failing, safe to say ive bungled this run. Ended up losing too many good units across the campaign to the point where even my sturdy ones cant just carry this mission thanks to the guy with the health halving staff which in itself is a tremendous difference maker.
I think conquest has beaten me, on normal at that. Having beaten all the previous western released FE games on their default difficulty I'm surprised conquest has had me struggle this much.

It's good for sure, varied maps are a leap over awakening but honestly i'm not digging much else and as a personal gripe I dislike the pair up system.

How many units do you have left and who are they? The key to dealing with the hexing staff is to just bait it on units who don't see combat anyways like healers and azura or units you only use as pairup bots.

On all three difficulties my strategy was to wait at the bottom for the first several waves of fliers to meet me ( space units so super squishies are out of range for the kinshi) kill them and then move forward. Be prepared for more fliers to come each time you engage a retainer, deal with them and then move forward.

Pairup is certainly as controversial thing, some people prefer not to pair up at all and have pulled it off on all difficulties and some pairup as soon as they can and others only after a certain chapter where they feel it's absolutely necessary from that point forward. I do like that enemies pair-up though and dual strike to encourage you to really think about positioning.

How many units do you have left and who are they? The key to dealing with the hexing staff is to just bait it on units who don't see combat anyways like healers and azura or units you only use as pairup bots.

On all three difficulties my strategy was to wait at the bottom for the first several waves of fliers to meet me ( space units so super squishies are out of range for the kinshi) kill them and then move forward. Be prepared for more fliers to come each time you engage a retainer, deal with them and then move forward.

Pairup is certainly as controversial thing, some people prefer not to pair up at all and have pulled it off on all difficulties and some pairup as soon as they can and others only after a certain chapter where they feel it's absolutely necessary from that point forward. I do like that enemies pair-up though and dual strike to encourage you to really think about positioning.
Thanks for the pointers, I didn't realise the reinforcements were triggered by the named units so I managed to turtle my way through and bait out the hexing staff.
Of course I lost another 2 units, RIP Arthur (via critical magic) and Felicia (via Pegasus gangbang) who had been pretty reliable up until these later chapters where Arthur couldn't hit the side of a barn and Felicia's maid levelling system left her as a secondary healer and my main character's trophy wife.
I like the illogical silliness now as Felicia still appears in my castle as the operations manager of sorts but is banished from the private quarters, like she's been crippled into an immovable state at the castle stairs.

Finally got a third S rank going through this mission with Keaton which meant a much needed prologue where I decided I'd finish the final unit with the new wolf lass with my odds at like 85% hit to their 70%
So of course I missed, got hit, she died and I gained nothing. Worse still is now I realise that she wouldn't have gained any EXP anyway from that risky kill attempt since she was maxed at lvl 30, I am stupid...

Well anyway apparently the true hell starts now regarding upcoming chapters, just how far can my few solid remaining units carry me? as Corrin would say "Oh gods no!"

Aww yeah, I'm cruising through Chapter 26 Conquest like a boss, things are going incredibly well for a change
Now it's just Lago left, just gonna finish him with this 2X Yato combo with Corrin, hit the first attack, just gotta take this hit and....
*Critical sound effect off a 20% chance*
No...nononononono asshole no!
gW5QJPA.gif

WHY DO YOU HATE ME CONQUEST?!

edit: okay, done but not without another casualty, RIP Lazlo. The following acquisition of the Bifrost staff was the biggest tease as I exclaimed "I CAN BRING HIM BACK!" only to see that my only remaining staff wielder in Elise is merely on the brink of A level for staves and it requires S, dammit Woman all you've done is spam staves all game long and we're still at B?!

I did play Fates: Conquest while on hoiliday (so no internet for tips) and did have to dial it from hard down to normal (guess the chapter
yep that defence map
) and my feeling of normal was "phoenix mode is great, they don't have to hold back on casual or classic anymore".

As for chapter 26. In my case due to reclassing a lot the units I was to great knight for skills (not great with a load of hammers and beast killer equipped enemies) it meant I had to do an absurd strategy of opening the bottom room then running my army round the entire map for a few laps separate out the enemy units and defeat them one by one. The trick is not to get too far ahead of the enemy or else the furthest behind ones will come at you from the other way. I just wanted to share that funny strategy :p

Top Bottom