• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I was getting to the point I was feeling HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO BE A TUTORIAL?! So many new elements just made it so overwhelming right at first.

This game is amazing but feels so very bipolar to me. When venturing around the town is as peaceful and relaxing an experience as one can have. And then you go to the battle and one wrong decision is the loss of a member.

Doing Black Eagle at first I though I'm going to like this one and not this one.......I love them all, I feel a connection to all of them and wish to see them all prosper. I have no idea if this is the same for lion/deer but wow I'm still early on and it's like..... WE ARE ALL COMING HOME TODAY!
Returning to the series I plebbed up and went with no permadeath
Maybe if you're not too invested into your current save swapping over might be better??

Komatsu

Only one minor complaint:

It is extremely annoying when you're told "you've missed the opportunity to deepen this bond..." when trying to build support with certain characters.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I don't really like any of the characters and this whole monastery thing feels too much like Persona for me. FE seems more about waifus these days. Does the story at least pick up? Because I'm leaning towards just dropping the game and selling it.

kiiltz

About 2 or 3 hours in. Nothing special. Closest thing I've played to this in a long while is prob X-Com and Wasteland.

That said,

BzicuE4.png

Holgren

This game looks.....very fanservicey and dating-sim like. Since when has Fire Emblem been like this or is it the first game in the series with this "school life" gameplay?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Byleth is a stupid name. Like why Violet? Her hair isn't even that color.

This game looks.....very fanservicey and dating-sim like. Since when has Fire Emblem been like this or is it the first game in the series with this "school life" gameplay?
This is by far the less fanservicey FE game to date outside the badly designed FeMC's outfit. I wish they would have done something after the true reclassing :/

MagnesG

Banned
I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I don't really like any of the characters and this whole monastery thing feels too much like Persona for me. FE seems more about waifus these days. Does the story at least pick up? Because I'm leaning towards just dropping the game and selling it.
If you didn't like any of the characters, or hooked on anything (whether if it was the sim-like management, the SRPG combat, or the initial story setup and settings) even after 5 hours or so, just drop it.

I do want to suggest to take it slow, treat it like a Football Manager game, just focus on one or two characters you are at least not hating, and go from there. Though It's obvious you're not invested from the start, and no amount of story will be able to remedy that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You can recruit people from other houses but they never appear in cutscenes. Timeskip Claude's team has the best looking girls hands down. Glad I still was able to snatch most of the other girls from other houses before that crazy bitch went genocide happy.

Also the non s support in between characters outside Byleth is bullshit. Lazy.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You can recruit people from other houses but they never appear in cutscenes. Timeskip Claude's team has the best looking girls hands down. Glad I still was able to snatch most of the other girls from other houses before that crazy bitch went genocide happy.

Also the non s support in between characters outside Byleth is bullshit. Lazy.
Enough with the mild spoilers please...

Shouta

I've noticed a few changes lines in English thanks to having JP voiceovers. Pretty interesting.

Game is great overall so far. The school elements from persona and trails of cold steel aren't as expansive but it works well as a structure for the story. Biggest complaint is that the monthly conflict could better highlight the individual characters involved.

mcz117chief

This game is seriously SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMIN'! By far the best game on Switch for me. I played it the entire day yesterday and today. Everything about it is just amazing. So much potential replay value, great characters, voice acting, fabulous music, interesting story and world. This is how a 10/10 game looks like.

p.s. This is probably a silly question but the art book contains a fuck ton of spoilers, doesn't it? I never look through those for RPGs because most of them show pivotal moments in the plot or the best scenes (good example FF Type-0).

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed a few changes lines in English thanks to having JP voiceovers. Pretty interesting.

Game is great overall so far. The school elements from persona and trails of cold steel aren't as expansive but it works well as a structure for the story. Biggest complaint is that the monthly conflict could better highlight the individual characters involved.
Prologes do that. Monthly missions just show you how things let up to war. Oh no spoilers war happens in a FE game? No way!

Mista

Banned
Chris Niosi, the current voice actor for male Byleth in English, will be replaced in both Three Houses and Heroes in the wake of news of his mistreatment and abuse of numerous former friends and partners.

Niosi’s role in the game was revealed shortly before release, and as Go Nintendo has covered, people familiar with Niosi were unhappy. It has since come out – by Niosi’s own admittance – that he has a history of being abusive, and of mistreating friends and partners.

Niosi has posted a series of lengthy confessional apologies to his Tumblr, detailing his position and apologising to those he has wronged (content warning: the specifics of his mistreatment of women he has dated are detailed in these posts).

cabbage5k2

Anyone else think this game is somewhat easy, even on hard? The mock battle was the hardest battle thus far, and that's fairly early on... does the game post timeskip get significantly harder?

MagnesG

Banned
Anyone else think this game is somewhat easy, even on hard? The mock battle was the hardest battle thus far, and that's fairly early on... does the game post timeskip get significantly harder?
Definitely. Though we do need Lunatic difficulty for the next playthrough, and that will be released later in a patch.

Last edited:
Is there a way to overlap an enemies movement range when selecting multiple enemies like the 3DS games?

Like how if you selected multiple enemies in Awakening, Fates or Conquest it would have a different shade or color showing each individual enemies movement and attack range.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So far the only dude that has given me some trouble has been this guy.

Mid game spoilers images

avjzxP8.jpg

OaffWo0.jpg

FkK3c25.jpg

rIK6HQc.jpg

AND that is only because I never use the guys that I am meant to protect and didn't take my magic ( girl in my avatar) goddess with me.

Also I wish the screenshots were at 1080p but apparently it is running at 720p even while docked?

Mid game spoiler pic related

95bQPBk.jpg

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Niosi, the current voice actor for male Byleth in English, will be replaced in both Three Houses and Heroes in the wake of news of his mistreatment and abuse of numerous former friends and partners.

Niosi’s role in the game was revealed shortly before release, and as Go Nintendo has covered, people familiar with Niosi were unhappy. It has since come out – by Niosi’s own admittance – that he has a history of being abusive, and of mistreating friends and partners.

Niosi has posted a series of lengthy confessional apologies to his Tumblr, detailing his position and apologising to those he has wronged (content warning: the specifics of his mistreatment of women he has dated are detailed in these posts).
He's an idiot who broke NDA because he was sooo excited that he could possibly voice his character in Smash Bros. so he told people he was voicing him in this game. Now the only Smash thing people will remember him by are his shitty unfunny flash animations years ago. How he managed to get this far in the voice acting industry is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is there a way to overlap an enemies movement range when selecting multiple enemies like the 3DS games?

Like how if you selected multiple enemies in Awakening, Fates or Conquest it would have a different shade or color showing each individual enemies movement and attack range.
There's just one color for selecting individual enemies. Or hit ZR to highlight all enemy danger areas in purple.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I knew I wasn't crazy when I couldn't find any other copies besides the one I had to order online at the last minute during launch day. Well I'm not from the UK but I'm sure it sold just as well everywhere else.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I picked Blue Lions, did I choose wisely?
MFW one of my dudes is in trees and misses his attack and gets hit.

CDqD1KV.jpg
"Most lions don't really climb trees unless they are really motivated by food or a threat. Actually, there are no more than two populations of lions that climb trees on a regular basis. "

PS, didn't MC feel that the Blue Lion's dude had a "darkness behind him," or something to that nature?

RPGCrazied

20 hours in. Chapter 9. How many chapters? Loving the game so much. Just wish it ran better. Yeah, yeah, its on switch, but a smooth framerate at this resolution shouldn't be that hard.

This is my first Fire Emblem game and so far it's been pretty good. I'm only a few hours in, but the writing and characters are great. What really got me though was the combat. I play a lot of skirmish table top games like Mordheim and Necromunda, so of course I went hard/classic. I'm getting the same vibe, agonizing over each move, minimizing risk, it's great.
The instructor/class idea worked better than I thought. Neat way of contextualizing stat progression and I appreciate getting to know the characters because of it.

Personally, I'd like to see them implement an injury system of some kind instead of just binary dead/alive (although not sure how that would vibe with their tone). In games like Necromunda losing a character in combat results in a roll on the injury table. If they're lucky they get out with just scars, most the time it results in permanent injuries like missing an arm/eye/leg, worst roll is death. Can't get the same injury twice, each time moving you closer to death.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
For whatever reason, I never played Fire Emblem. I’m a huge RPG fan, though. Can I jump in without having played others in the series?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
For whatever reason, I never played Fire Emblem. I’m a huge RPG fan, though. Can I jump in without having played others in the series?
Most games in the series are connected to each other in a sequel by a couple of years then it may have another that takes place thousands of years later. This one doesn't fall into any previous game timeline from what I can tell.

Enzo88

So far, 30 hours in, the game is extremely addictive, hard to put down.
I just hope it doesn`t drag too long becoming repetitive, which might start happening in about 10 hours i think.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Absolutely. Treat this game like you would Final Fantasy. Most of the games are standalone or only have very tentative connections to previous titles that you can freely ignore and not hinder your enjoyment.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Man, fuck tea parties. I always select wrong. It's annoying as hell.

Otherwise, is there a guide to the best way to recruit all the female characters from the other houses? So far I've only recruited a dude.

(I'm Black Eagles, btw. The best house)

Komatsu

Man, fuck tea parties. I always select wrong. It's annoying as hell.

Otherwise, is there a guide to the best way to recruit all the female characters from the other houses? So far I've only recruited a dude.

(I'm Black Eagles, btw. The best house)

I don’t even care about the stats, I just raise the support level to B and they come knocking, asking to join my house.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
tenor.gif

Jk, they are all great, all 3 houses have great characters.

Also, a question. How do you level up healers effectively? All my fighters are lvl 10+ (some are 15) but I am struggling to get my healers to lvl 5 and above.
Healers can heal from afar
Use black magic or use weapons.
If that isn't enough after a while you can fight as many times without wasting time as well.

I don’t even care about the stats, I just raise the support level to B and they come knocking, asking to join my house.
Students can only be recruited based on stats though? Hell you can miss supports apparently. I know I missed two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Only played into the first battle. Really enjoy it, a good mix of Xcom style movement with typical RPG style attacks. Need to try it in Docked mode, handheld mode makes me sleepy.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Also anybody know what Sothis theme is called? The chanting? music you hear whenever she talks to you?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Decided to stick with it and it's finally clicking with me. Still not a fan of every character, but the story so far has just enough hooks in me to keep me playing.

I honestly expected to hate the school stuff, but it feels like a nice change of pace between the fighting.

Sakura

Played for about 30 hours or so. A few hours into the second part now.
Pretty good so far. Some stuff I honestly wasn't expecting.
I don't really like the way teaching is handled though. Raising stats is a chore.
Also I feel like support events could be handled better. 90% of the time I can't even raise them any higher because the game won't let me. Then there are things like support events for students of other classes where they talk to you as though you are their teacher. Would've been better to not let you view their events until they join your class.
Students can only be recruited based on stats though? Hell you can miss supports apparently. I know I missed two.
Pretty sure they can be recruited outside stats as well. I recruited Lysithea without having the stats. Just raised my support level with her, and she came asking to join my class without me having to recruit her.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Healers can heal from afar
Use black magic or use weapons.
If that isn't enough after a while you can fight as many times without wasting time as well.
Healing gives minimal xp though. I was thinking about putting them on the front for a while to at least get them to lvl 10 like the rest, the fact that you can fight for free is really nice.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member

Wait -- I must have missed something. How do I build support with other houses members without recruiting them first? Just inviting them to do stuff instead of my house people? Will that work?

Top Bottom