• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

chaseroni

Has anyone noticed that you can retain experience from battles and retreat to the start of the battle? Its been useful when a couple of students of mine drop dead from low level. Unexpected feature I must say. But I need all the help I can get for I'm no good at theses kind of games.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure they can be recruited outside stats as well. I recruited Lysithea without having the stats. Just raised my support level with her, and she came asking to join my class without me having to recruit her.
That would have been good to know like 20 hours ago lol. RIP unrecruited students. Lysithea is the best magic unit in the game she's going to be the first one I recruit on my second playthrough.
Healing gives minimal xp though. I was thinking about putting them on the front for a while to at least get them to lvl 10 like the rest, the fact that you can fight for free is really nice.
I leveled up my healer by using psychic and offensive magic on top of lance. Made her a white knight or w/e it is called.

For the people having trouble with the petting minigame replac... I mean tea time. Just choose the answers that better fit the character. Simple stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

V4skunk

Banned
For whatever reason, I never played Fire Emblem. I’m a huge RPG fan, though. Can I jump in without having played others in the series?
Why what games have you played where you can't jump in with out playing all the games in order first?
Just get it, I've never played a single FE game before.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
7ish hours in and still having a lot of fun and glad I changed my mind and picked it up. Loving the school parts and having fun with the battles. All the leveling up, social links etc is pretty dense and complicated, but I’m playing in normal casual so I’m not too worried about messing anything up.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Why what games have you played where you can't jump in with out playing all the games in order first?
Just get it, I've never played a single FE game before.

There’s no law preventing you from playing a game like say, Xenosaga Episode 3 before 1 and 2, .Hack, ZOE2 or many others before the first of the series, but you won’t understand much.

Thanks to those of you who answered, I’ve picked the game up!

appaws

Banned
Longtime SRPG and FE fan. About 12 hours in, with the Black Eagles. Liking it so far, but not as much as I liked Awakening and Fates. Still really good though.

Edelgard is seriously OP.

Gonna make Bernadetta my waifu.

Decided to stick with it and it's finally clicking with me. Still not a fan of every character, but the story so far has just enough hooks in me to keep me playing.

I honestly expected to hate the school stuff, but it feels like a nice change of pace between the fighting.
The story is pretty grey so far. Loving it a lot, and better than Fates. Already found at least 1 easter egg and it regards to Petra's home in Brigid, in which it's based on the character Brigid in Genealogy. Also, Dagdar, is the name of the character in Thracia 776, in which the Isles of Brigid rival Dagda in Fodlan history.

Brigid lost amnesia and had a new identity named Eyvel in Thracia 776, she fought Dagdar and later made truce to have him never pillage villages again, and had Dagdar take up farming

Last edited:

Komatsu

So about 40h in - in the very last battle of the game. One of my top 3 FE's of all time, though the story clearly does not make sense unless you play all routes, including here the hidden fourth route. Gameplay-wise, it is a very polished SRPG. The soundtrack is incredible.

Now that I'm finished gushing, let's explore some of the downsides.

Rough looking textures

frmblm3h-text.png

This is particularly evident when interacting with Seteth, as his robe's textures are suuuuper pixelated. Images above were captured from the game by yours truly.

The skyboxes are also very, very low-res. Look at these clouds:

fe3h-skybox.png

720p even when docked - Yep, no 900 or 1080p, no siree. Even then, the game still suffers from stuttering and occasional slowdowns in some of the more crowded areas of the Monastery.

Lots of unexplained systems - I've playing FE for 20 years so I dove right in, but some of my casual acquaintances were completely flabbergasted by some of the mechanics, as they were explained only in passing or not explained at all.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The story is pretty grey so far.

Brigid lost amnesia and had a new identity named Eyvel in Thracia 776, she fought Dagdar and later made truce to have him never pillage villages again, and had Dagdar take up farming

What? No it isn't.

Mid to late game spoilers

There is peace and somebody decides to create a boogeyman out of the church because they were brainwashed for years. None of their reasons carry any real reason to butcher people for years either.

So about 40h in - in the very last battle of the game. One of my top 3 FE's of all time, though the story clearly does not make sense unless you play all routes, including here the hidden fourth route. Gameplay-wise, it is a very polished SRPG. The soundtrack is incredible.
The story makes perfect sense in any route you play. It just isn't a very good story.

What? No it isn't.

Mid to late game spoilers

There is peace and somebody decides to create a boogeyman out of the church because they were brainwashed for years. None of their reasons carry any real reason to butcher people for years either.
Oh yeah?

I knew that priest Tomas is up to no good! He seems creepy for being such a nice and polite guy

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
He wasn't a priest he was an agent of the empire all this time!!! gasp!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Edelgard's motivation
The church had no hand in the upperclass and their shitty wars but she sure used that as an excuse to cry about the church and start wars. Usually it went like "fuck I have no bread. it is the church fault!" or "I have to kill all these people because crests!"

Komatsu

The church had no hand in the upperclass and their shitty wars but she sure used that as an excuse to cry about the church and start wars. Usually it went like "fuck I have no bread. it is the church fault!" or "I have to kill all these people because crests!"

There's a very specific reason why Edelgard decides to do what she ends up doing and it ties back to the game's mythos and Fodlan's very origins. As I said, I won't spoil you. Play the Empire route and you'll see.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Pleas use the spoiler tags man.
Crests! Brb slaughtering everything!

Also she tried to kill Dimitri in the beginning BEFORE he was ever in the church's side. Despite being close to him. I honestly think she was just going to be a bad guy until somebody got in GoT.

You know, this is still better than Echoes.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, some of you guys with the spoilers, sheesh. I mean, why?

Anyway, I wish there was an option to toggle terrain artifacts off and on. I might get used to it, but I find the maps with a lot of trees to be quite muddled and confusing. It’s hard to ascertain which square a unit is on or even what unit it is sometimes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, some of you guys with the spoilers, sheesh. I mean, why?

Anyway, I wish there was an option to toggle terrain artifacts off and on. I might get used to it, but I find the maps with a lot of trees to be quite muddled and confusing. It’s hard to ascertain which square a unit is on or even what unit it is sometimes.

You can alter the camera using the right stick so you can get a better view (top down) to help organize where you are and where you want to go.

Been taking my time with the game. I think I am on Part 1, Chapter 8 and about 18 hours into the game (Classic, Hard). Really enjoying my time and so far I haven't had a death. Surprised people have already beaten multiple routes in this game. Wish I had the free time they do.

mcz117chief

For the people having trouble with the petting minigame replac... I mean tea time. Just choose the answers that better fit the character. Simple stuff.
Were it so easy...

"Hey, you know about stuff?"
1) shrug
2) nod
3) laugh

????? And that is only if you manage to get to the 4th dialogue. Sometimes it really looks like you have a clear idea about the topic but it still turns out to be wrong. The damn tea parties is the only thing I save scum regularly.

The fishing game is so lacking. Why can't it be like this?

Yup, catching the legendary fish is one of the high points of the game for me. Lacrimosa of Dana is an amazing game with almost no down-sides.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Were it so easy...

1) shrug
2) nod
3) laugh

????? And that is only if you manage to get to the 4th dialogue. Sometimes it really looks like you have a clear idea about the topic but it still turns out to be wrong. The damn tea parties is the only thing I save scum regularly.
It is based on their personality. I always get it right now that I actually know some of the characters. For example Ly is a girl that likes sweets, is outgoing, doesn't like to be treated as a child and is studious. The topics will usually be around a characters personality anyway.

The class changes are completely random. I could have a 36% chance of promotion and I will get it no problem multiple times but a 80% might fail?

mcz117chief

It is based on their personality. I always get it right now that I actually know some of the characters. For example Ly is a girl that likes sweets, is outgoing, doesn't like to be treated as a child and is studious. The topics will usually be around a characters personality anyway.

The class changes are completely random. I could have a 36% chance of promotion and I will get it no problem multiple times but a 80% might fail?
I know how it works, just saying that the 4th one is kind of wtf. The first three might be easy with some but are insane with others. Like for example Bernadette. She is a shut in who likes painting, reading, etc. and then you are given options like I heard some gossip, ideal relationship, gardening mishaps. Literally none of this things fit her personality and yet it is "ideal relationships" because reasons. I am seriously thinking about save scumming the tea party like a mad man to make a list of all possible answers just to have peace of mind for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I know how it works, just saying that the 4th one is kind of wtf. The first three might be easy with some but are insane with others. Like for example Bernadette. She is a shut in who likes painting, reading, etc. and then you are given options like I heard some gossip, ideal relationship, gardening mishaps. Literally none of this things fit her personality and yet it is "ideal relationships" because reasons. I am seriously thinking about save scumming the tea party like a mad man to make a list of all possible answers just to have peace and mind for the rest of the game.
Maybe...you just don't know her DEEPLY enough. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Oh remember soft reset still is - + L R

Sakura

Were it so easy...

1) shrug
2) nod
3) laugh

Yeah it is kind of annoying.
That being said though, the tea parties hardly seem important. You just get a small boost of affection. Not like you even get dialogue or anything. Doesn't seem anything worth save scumming over. I stopped doing them a while ago and still have all my girls maxed out. Much easier to just throw a bunch of the shitty flowers at them from the garden.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So how does it work, do I press all four at the same time, in sequence or what? Is there any particular moment I have to press them? Is it available at all times?
Yes. Just press them at the same time.

mcz117chief

Yeah it is kind of annoying.
That being said though, the tea parties hardly seem important. You just get a small boost of affection. Not like you even get dialogue or anything. Doesn't seem anything worth save scumming over. I stopped doing them a while ago and still have all my girls maxed out. Much easier to just throw a bunch of the shitty flowers at them from the garden.
I'll file this under sage advice, thanks bruh. How do you spend time in the monastery? I usually go for: tea party, cooking together, invite for food, fighting tournament, choir practice (am at 5 slots).

Sakura

You do get CHA from doing well in the Tea parties, it seems?
Yeah you get 1 point in it. But considering how easy the game is already I'm not sure if it is worth using action points on tea parties. I'm pretty sure my Dimitri alone can one man all these battles. He pretty much already is.
I'll file this under sage advice, thanks bruh. How do you spend time in the monastery? I usually go for: tea party, cooking together, invite for food, fighting tournament, choir practice (am at 5 slots).
I'm at 8 I think right now. I just do a few lunch sessions to raise every ones motivation or whatever, then train the protag with other people. I honestly have more action points than stuff to do at this point.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Yeah you get 1 point in it. But considering how easy the game is already I'm not sure if it is worth using action points on tea parties. I'm pretty sure my Dimitri alone can one man all these battles. He pretty much already is.
I know what you mean, my Eldegard, Petra and PC are so strong right now I love to just rush them into the middle of the enemy, agro everyone and watch the enemy melt as they deal 0 damage and take 30+ in counter attacks :D Still, I can't get enough of it :)
I'm at 8 I think right now. I just do a few lunch sessions to raise every ones motivation or whatever, then train the protag with other people. I honestly have more action points than stuff to do at this point.
So you can do multiple lunch sessions? I don't know why but I thought you can only do one. What about fishing? Is it good for something?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m seriously lagging behind it seems. Only had time to play about 5 hours. I’m still at the first real battle with the bandits, lol.

Sakura

I know what you mean, my Eldegard, Petra and PC are so strong right now I love to just rush them into the middle of the enemy, agro everyone and watch the enemy melt as they deal 0 damage and take 30+ in counter attacks :D Still, I can't get enough of it :)

So you can do multiple lunch sessions? I don't know why but I thought you can only do one. What about fishing? Is it good for something?
Theres two options for lunch. The top one you can only do once, the bottom one you can do as many times as you want.
Fishing is good if you want to cook for a temp stat boost.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Late game Eagles/Lion/Deer spoilers
Eagles 15 chapters total
Deer 21 chapters total
Does this make Eagles not canon? I'm guessing the true ending is stuck behind DLC like revelations. Makes sense considering the shit that goes down on Edelgard's route.

I don't consider this a spoiler but more of a warning to people that the game didn't tell me.

Pairings MATTER. Certain students can get endings if you A pair em.

Pleas use the spoiler tags man.
Crests! Brb slaughtering everything!

Also she tried to kill Dimitri in the beginning BEFORE he was ever in the church's side. Despite being close to him. I honestly think she was just going to be a bad guy until somebody got in GoT.

You know, this is still better than Echoes.
HEY! I liked Echoes.......

Sakura

Late game Eagles/Lion/Deer spoilers
Eagles 15 chapters total
Deer 21 chapters total
Does this make Eagles not canon? I'm guessing the true ending is stuck behind DLC like revelations. Makes sense considering the shit that goes down on Edelgard's route.

I don't consider this a spoiler but more of a warning to people that the game didn't tell me.

Pairings MATTER. Certain students can get endings if you A pair em.
I haven't played Eagle's route so no idea on the content or whether it is "canon", but Eagle's has a route split apparently. The 15 chapters total would be the shorter route, and the other one has 19.

Top Bottom