• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewalk Studios is reportedly ignoring Concord criticism

Roxkis_ii

Hope they release a beta, else its not looking good for this game off the trailer impressions.

One thing I dislike about the internet, is how easy it is is to blow off criticism by pointing at the most extremeist.

Worker: People are saying our heros look like shit, maybe we should try to make them look attractive.

Art director: Naw, it's just the anti woke crouds complaining about a game they will never play. Regular people like playing with people that look like them.

Worker:.......... ( updates resume)

This is probably going to end bad.

That big vacuum robot gives me hope that Concord's heroes will actually feel different​

If there's one aspect of Concord that I hope does feel like Overwatch, it's kit design. The easiest way to kill my buzz for a hero shooter is to give me heroes that mostly play the same (sorry Apex Legends, Valorant, and XDefiant). It's encouraging that Firewalk wants to embrace the "asymmetry" of its Concord heroes.

"We're influenced a lot by fighting games and even strategy games in the interesting way the asymmetry of their characters makes every matchup feel really different," said lead gameplay designer Claude Jerome.

"Leaning into the asymmetry of the characters, really pushing the possibility space of two different characters colliding, it's all about creating opportunities for improvisation," said lead character designer Jon Weisnewski. "That's where we can get out of the way and let players find their own magic."

It's good talk, and it's backed up by moments in the trailer. 1-OFF, the yellow cylindrical robot from the cinematic, literally towers over every other hero on the map. He clunks around the arena like a beacon, placing jump pads and serving as mobile cover for teammates, and his only "gun" is a vacuum. I want to try it out so badly.

Im Right Reese Witherspoon GIF by HULU

Do these twitter idiots not realize that their fucking screeches don't translate over to actual blockage of a product's success? Source: Hogwart's Legacy.

Are these grifters (like that moron, Grummz, and his army of brain-dead fucking monkeys with room temperature IQ) trying to co-opt Concord's tragic first outing from the reveal, and pretend that it is because it doesn't have white people in the game?

No, you absolute donut. Concord's getting shat on all social media platforms, because the game is an uninspiring, dated, done to death, class based hero shooter aka another Overwatch clone, for a saturated GaaS market, in the year 2024.

Braag

I loved the old times when devs listened to players and tried to adjust to it. These days they double down and later whine when their game sold poorly. Well, gladly it's not my job on the line.

Killjoy-NL

If only the wokeness was the only problem here.
Game seems to play smooth and animations look really good.

So apart from Wokeness and not wanting a hero shooter, I don't see why people are so upset with the game already.

And yes, I hate Woke, but idc about what pronounce heroes in a hero shooter use.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean what else are they supposed to do? The criticisms are coming from people who haven't played the game, and it comes out in 2 months. They aren't going to be able to change much at this point.

Cancel it and cut their loses at the failed production cost?

Think about how much additional cost Is associated with suicide squad vs if they had just canned the whole thing on the first reaction?

Like people ask "what else can they do?" There's always more you can do, in rare occasions people have delayed games months even years for complete reworks after a bad initial reception.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, but there's very little chance that this will get anywhere fast. There's also the chance they release absolute trash and turn it all around later, but right now we have a huge stack of live service corpses to look at and go "one more for the pile" right now.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do people really expected that they were about to completely change genre or the character design when the game looks in such an advanced state?

Saber

Gold Member
Just like Saints Row and Suicide Squad. And look how well they landed.

I say if this is true leave at is. The more criticism they ignore, the faster this project sinks when it launchs. The industry could use less games like this.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I mean, this game looks super cringe, but good. Developers SHOULD ignore Twitter bullshit and just make the things they want to make.
I'm all for developers making the game they want to make. The thing is that for them to be able to continue making games the games they make must have an audience and make money. The developers of the Saints Row reboot made the game they wanted to make, but it didn't perform well and their studio was closed.

It's possible that this game will click with people and will be a success. That beta is going to have to be a knockout, though. I guess we'll see.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I always wonder why people are surprised by this, same with the Suicide Squad stuff. The game is made. All the research has been made, they got their Sweet Baby reports, approvals, focus groups, the money is spent, marketing campaigns set up, everything. They're not going to go back and redesign every character because of people complaining on the internet.

Killjoy-NL

Do these twitter idiots not realize that their fucking screeches don't translate over to actual blockage of a product's success? Source: Hogwart's Legacy.

Are these grifters (like that moron, Grummz, and his army of brain-dead fucking monkeys with room temperature IQ) trying to co-opt Concord's tragic first outing from the reveal, and pretend that it is because it doesn't have white people in the game?

No, you absolute donut. Concord's getting shat on all social media platforms, because the game is an uninspiring, dated, done to death, class based hero shooter aka another Overwatch clone, for a saturated GaaS market, in the year 2024.
The market for hero shooters isn't saturated on Playstation.

People really need to stop conflating PC and Playstation.
Completely different markets in that regard, as well as demographics.

Last edited:
Game seems to play smooth and animations look really good.

So apart from Wokeness and not wanting a hero shooter, I don't see why people are so upset with the game already.

And yes, I hate Woke, but idc about what pronounce heroes in a hero shooter use.

This is the next game that is "fun to hate" due to group think. At this point, nothing will change that unless the beta impresses. And even then people will find additional reasons to not like it.
The "woke" stuff is dumb, but I'm willing to give it a shot if the beta is decent.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The market for hero shooters isn't saturated on Playstation.

People really need to stop conflating PC and Playstation.
Completely different markets in that regard, as well as demographics.

Concord is releasing on PC day and date. It's one of the two platforms the game is on, and if we go by HD2, the place which will have the bigger player-base.

You seriously gonna say all this when you were hyping Redfall?

I mean, I also hyped Redfall when the until showcase came out, I enjoy these GaaS shooters.

Redfall was bad - terrible AI and mechanics - this was known once we got previews

Concord, I’m cautiously optimistic. The gunplay already looks fantastic
Can you show us a video where you're seeing this fantastic gunplay?

Killjoy-NL

Concord is releasing on PC day and date. It's one of the two platforms the game is on, and if we go by HD2, the place which will have the bigger player-base.
No shit.

But Sony's core of the business is Playstation, so they look at the Playstation market primarily.

PC can just tag along because it somewhat increases installbase and revenue.

PC gamers can't seem to fathom that they're second grade to Sony.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No shit.

But Sony's core of the business is Playstation, so they look at the Playstation market primarily.

PC can just tag along because it somewhat increases installbase and revenue.

PC gamers can't seem to fathom that they're second grade to Sony.

I think this is the kind of game where the console will tag along and the majority of the playerbase will be on PC, ala HD2. So the earlier argument about saturation of this kind of games on PC is definitely a legit one.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I always wonder why people are surprised by this, same with the Suicide Squad stuff. The game is made. All the research has been made, they got their Sweet Baby reports, approvals, focus groups, the money is spent, marketing campaigns set up, everything. They're not going to go back and redesign every character because of people complaining on the internet.
An easy change that would probably quiet some criticism would be to remove the pronouns from the character bios. When robots have pronouns listed it just feels weird.

Killjoy-NL

I think this is the kind of game where the console will tag along and the majority of the playerbase will be on PC, ala HD2. So the earlier argument about saturation of this kind of games on PC is definitely a legit one.
Sure, might be. But Sony's main focus is Playstation, regardless.

There is just OW and Paladins, one which is dying and one which barely anyone plays.
Apex is a battle royale, so different genre.

That leaves a gap that can be filled by Sony.

If Concord will be good remains to be seen and if the beta sucks, I'll be right there with you shitting on the game.
Just think it's a bit too early rn.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Of course they're going to ignore it. It's far too late for them to do anything to change the game now, this close to release. Same thing with Suicide Squad. They'll hope and pray it'll be received well and then their dumb little hearts will be crushed when it isn't.

The decision to not make this stupid game this way was three years ago.

WitchHunter

Banned
This fn game looks like a 1:1 apex+overwatch clone. It looks better, has the same braindead characters, plus the usual idiotic dialogues that a certain demographic in the west likes.

Last edited:
Maybe to you.

I can’t think of a better and more interesting arena PVP on the market
Well let us see. It just reminds me of the hype trailer they put out for destruction allstars but when I played the game, it was meh. If this is F2P with additional purchases then maybe it'll find a decent sized audience. If you gotta pay though...

Well let us see. It just reminds me of the hype trailer they put out for destruction allstars but when I played the game, it was meh. If this is F2P with additional purchases then maybe it'll find a decent sized audience. If you gotta pay though...

I don’t get that comparison at all, this game has real talent behind it and the gameplay footage is extremely solid and fluid

MH3M3D

Do kids that play these games 24/7 care about what some dev said on X? They're gonna play it the famous streamers liked it and thats that.

Complistic

I'm not sure if this game or Dreadwolf is going to be the bigger train wreck. Either way, we're in for entertainment.

Top Bottom