• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewalk Studios is reportedly ignoring Concord criticism

You seriously gonna say all this when you were hyping Redfall?

I mean, I also hyped Redfall when the until showcase came out, I enjoy these GaaS shooters.

Redfall was bad - terrible AI and mechanics - this was known once we got previews

Concord, I’m cautiously optimistic. The gunplay already looks fantastic
Gotta give it to you on this. I personally think the game looks shit, but last people that should be here commenting were the ones hyping starfield, redfall and hellblade 2, like come on, have some shame :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

fair call out:messenger_bicep:

GHG

He’s talking about you GHG GHG

Those games are still massive and growing so don't know what you're talking about.

Donald Trump GIF

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

That big vacuum robot gives me hope that Concord's heroes will actually feel different​

If there's one aspect of Concord that I hope does feel like Overwatch, it's kit design. The easiest way to kill my buzz for a hero shooter is to give me heroes that mostly play the same (sorry Apex Legends, Valorant, and XDefiant). It's encouraging that Firewalk wants to embrace the "asymmetry" of its Concord heroes.

"We're influenced a lot by fighting games and even strategy games in the interesting way the asymmetry of their characters makes every matchup feel really different," said lead gameplay designer Claude Jerome.

"Leaning into the asymmetry of the characters, really pushing the possibility space of two different characters colliding, it's all about creating opportunities for improvisation," said lead character designer Jon Weisnewski. "That's where we can get out of the way and let players find their own magic."

It's good talk, and it's backed up by moments in the trailer. 1-OFF, the yellow cylindrical robot from the cinematic, literally towers over every other hero on the map. He clunks around the arena like a beacon, placing jump pads and serving as mobile cover for teammates, and his only "gun" is a vacuum. I want to try it out so badly.

Im Right Reese Witherspoon GIF by HULU

One concern I have from the trailer was that the characters felt a bit self sufficient (like a fighting game). The heal we saw was a self heal. The two tanks we saw (yellow robot, lizzo) had shields/high HP that looked to benefit themselves mostly.

I'll be open minded but it's possible the answer to "Why is this game better than Overwatch?" was "We found the team reliance in Overwatch to be a net negative. If one player doesn't fill their role properly, then it harshly impacts the experience for the other 4. In Concord, our team aspect will be softer so friends can just run around levels and focus on contributing in more traditional (shooting) ways.

Overwatch put the asymmetry out front and center. Mercy felt drastically different than Rein, who felt drastically different than Tracer. Concord doesn't seem to be showcases that asymmetry.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
What are they supposed to do a few months before release?

The only criticism/feedback they should be paying attention to right now are those about gameplay/progression/monetization. Anything else at this point is a distraction.

As for the "woke"criticisms.

11 out of 44 Valorant agents are women
About half of them aren't visibly white

No one gives a shit, it's one of the most played and most polished shooters out there.
This.shit.does.not.matter

So good on them for not paying attention to it.

As for those of you triggered by it, don't play it. It's that simple. If you believe "woke" stuff is killing video games, don't play it. if others agree, they won't play it either. If you're right, and enough people don't play it, it'll die and that'll send a message to developers and publishers.

Last edited:
One concern I have from the trailer was that the characters felt a bit self sufficient (like a fighting game). The heal we saw was a self heal. The two tanks we saw (yellow robot, lizzo) had shields/high HP that looked to benefit themselves mostly.

I'll be open minded but it's possible the answer to "Why is this game better than Overwatch?" was "We found the team reliance in Overwatch to be a net negative. If one player doesn't fill their role properly, then it harshly impacts the experience for the other 4. In Concord, our team aspect will be softer so friends can just run around levels and focus on contributing in more traditional (shooting) ways.

Overwatch put the asymmetry out front and center. Mercy felt drastically different than Rein, who felt drastically different than Tracer. Concord doesn't seem to be showcases that asymmetry.

I think it just allows individual players to be well balanced for 1v1 fights based on how well that player uses their skills available to counter the type of player being fought

Honestly nowadays it feels like success for a game like this (5v5 unique hero pvp) depends if characters are attractive lmao (look at overwatch, mediocre game but character designs carries it so much).

Characters from this just look like fucking redditors self-insert into fantasy setting xD

Who would want to play with ugly characters lmao

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Just like the topic about SH2 and Angela's design criticism, is anyone really expecting them to make significant changes this late into development?
Na... but what paramount did with Sonic was really something and it was totally worth it for them and the fans... more companies should just open their fucking eyes and ears.

SHA

They probably got anxious because of the criticism of CGI, I don't understand these people, for them, it's either CGI or they get mad at us.

Fabieter

That would be aweful, having a teamshooter without needing the team in a proper way. This will just support solo plays.

Gamers need to completely ignore Concorde. Problem solved. When devs egos get so big they can’t think rationally anymore, they need to be brought back down a bit. They can piss off with their shite game with its pronouns anyway.

Rightly so, assuming they have a vision they all believe in.

For the most part, the majority of creatives should have this mentality. Just because people are critical of or provide feedback on something - it doesn't necessarily mean they know what they're talking about.

And It might be a legitimately good game but GaaS games are like lightning in a bottle, it's difficult to know why some succeed and some don't.

Last edited:

mdkirby

This is a new IP, if that’s what they wanna do, good luck to them, I dont think the audience they are looking for is there tho. This isn’t like where ideologically motivated people come in and stomp all over retconning established IP. That aside, the bigger issue is it looks like overwatch from wish.com

It has an uphill battle with:

1) It looking like a cheap clone.

2) They are actively alienating a large swathe of gamers with both public comments and particularly obvious and in your face divisive virtue signalling (releasing in a year when people will be particularly sensitive to dividing cultural issues), in a genre highly over represented by the demographics they seem to be actively pushing away.

3) being a GAAS title releasing in an environment where public sentiment has turned quite aggressively against such games, and where very few succeed…

All three together just spells a recipe for a massive commercial flop. Maybe it’ll surprise us, but seems unlikely. It’s pretty bonkers to me given how we keep hearing about how insanely expensive games are and how high risk they are now, cos this seems like super risky.

Fuck Sony for being this tone-deaf and also fuck the studio for producing something so... friggin' generic no matter the directives they had.

Also : people are R4C1ST5 !1!, amirite ?

The state of this industry man, I just can't anymore...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Who names their hero shooter concord? Like it is suppose to be an agreement or a grape ? Either is dumb. 🤷‍♂️

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think it just allows individual players to be well balanced for 1v1 fights based on how well that player uses their skills available to counter the type of player being fought
I suspect that design philosophy limits the asymmetry (more certain) & teamplay (less certain) aspects. It's harder to balance 1v1 fights when characters have wildly different characteristics. It also seems like the teammplay mechanics are basically the throwable (healing pad, bubble shield, traps etc...) items that aren't hero specific. Not sure if you earn them in game or pick them in the pregame lobby.

The more I think about it the more I really think it's "Overwatch but you're less reliant of teammates to fill their roles." I'm open to being able to do interesting things there. Can't wait to see how the maps and modes work. That little disk they showed players picking up at the end could be a unique concept.

LOL, they have a month (two at most depending on when the beta goes live).

They're not going to listen to criticism that they can't do anything with in that time span. As people said, they have a vision, and they'll have to see that vision through at this point.

The only other thing you could do would be to delay the game by more than a year and pivot and that doesn't guarantee success anymore than delivering on your original vision.

If they feel strongly that this game plays well and it will hook people, why should they listen to criticism from people who haven't played the game?

So many gamers are terribly immature and naive, and ultimately don't understand how the world works.

Echochambers on the internet would lead you to believe that Naughty Dog is one of the most hated studios on the planet, but their games sell in 8 figures and TLOU was one of the most successful seasons of TV ever... everyone was made when they remade TLOU P1... but that too sold really well...

The beta will come out and people will either love the game or they won't. The fun part of this is we find out really soon.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That would be aweful, having a teamshooter without needing the team in a proper way. This will just support solo plays.

I think TTK influences solo play more than anything. If players have high health pools and clips get emptied working on one opponent, you're going to need to stick with your team.

LOL this game is DOA. Apart from the 1 or 2 folks over at WokeEra that purchase this, most the gamers will simply ignore it. Nothing of this looks appealing whatsoever.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Super high tkk is another thing people generally dislike.
That's true. MOBA's have a pretty high TTK and they're still wickedly popular so I think they have a chance. That said, if the trailer is any indication, the TTK isn't too high, though they may be hiding that for the bombastic effect of showing off death animations.

VulcanRaven

Do these twitter idiots not realize that their fucking screeches don't translate over to actual blockage of a product's success? Source: Hogwart's Legacy.

Are these grifters (like that moron, Grummz, and his army of brain-dead fucking monkeys with room temperature IQ) trying to co-opt Concord's tragic first outing from the reveal, and pretend that it is because it doesn't have white people in the game?

No, you absolute donut. Concord's getting shat on all social media platforms, because the game is an uninspiring, dated, done to death, class based hero shooter aka another Overwatch clone, for a saturated GaaS market, in the year 2024.
the-office-michael-scott.gif

Fabieter

That's true. MOBA's have a pretty high TTK and they're still wickedly popular so I think they have a chance. That said, if the trailer is any indication, the TTK isn't too high, though they may be hiding that for the bombastic effect of showing off death animations.

Mobas have snowball mechanics where you can kill people in one sec if they are behind. August is gonna be interested.

mitch1971

Gold Member
That's the first time I heard "white noise." Lol I generally stay out of this woke war but that's pretty funny... even though it's that attitude which will ultimately close their studio. I'll shrug off their crocodile tears afterwards.
I prefer pink noise.

W11d

What did you expect? To make black characters white? The best they could do right now is more interesting characters in DLC

Honestly, ignoring your audience is a death sentence. I really don’t get it. You have to give your audience what they want, not what you want them to want.
is it their audience? Everyone bitching either has no interest in the genre, or is bitching there isn’t enough whites in the game.

Playstation liked the gameplay so much, they bought the studio. The thirst for some first party games is real.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
“Ignoring their audience”

What audience? No one is their audience until the game goes up, and a player base shows up. That’s the audience. If those people who come to play the beta tell them it’s a turd then adjust or pivot.

I think it looks fun. I doubt I’m alone. If it plays poorly or doesn’t have the secret sauce then good luck…

This and the Marvel game look like terrible Overwatch clones. Like they played a few hours of Overwatch and decided the best ways to suck the style and fun out of it.

Top Bottom