• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First game you remember playing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I think maybe it was Super Mario Bros. The first game I played was combat on Atari and then many games on that System and Colecovision. Prior to SMB I did get deep into many games, notably getting to level 32 on DKJr and similarly on DK, but they never had endings and recycled levels. Pitfall was a let down when you realize you made it back to the beginning. But SMB gave you a complete package with an ending. It also opened the door to the NES which had Zelda and dozens of other games. I played the shit out of SMB. We all did. We all would try so many stupid things in the -1 world to get to the mythical Skiing level, which was a stupid urban legend in our region.

This beauty.
HaBCYN6.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm sure I played it but don't remeber. We had some kind of pong game at home.

I do remember taking turns playing this in my bro's bedroom. Game was surprisingly hard.

Edit: Didn't know Don Mattrick helped make the game!

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
Game didn't really have a name. My mother worked at an IBM data center here in town for a while after I was born and she'd sometimes bring me in. They'd let me play some horse racing game where you pick which 'horse' (actually just numbers 1 - 9) was going to win and then hit enter. The 'horses' would then run across an ASCII track to the finish line.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It was an arcade game. Ancient even for its time, I remember that. The joystick and general appearance of the thing was all run down and decaying. But I was a warrior, kind of like Conan, in a side scrolling adventure. I could buy new weapons whenever I got to a new town. I remember I was able to save my name and a short password and pick up where I left off whenever we went shopping at the same place, where I played the arcade game. I wish I could remember the name of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was an arcade game. Ancient even for its time, I remember that. The joystick and general appearance of the thing was all run down and decaying. But I was a warrior, kind of like Conan, in a side scrolling adventure. I could buy new weapons whenever I got to a new town. I remember I was able to save my name and a short password and pick up where I left off whenever we went shopping at the same place, where I played the arcade game. I wish I could remember the name of it.
Rastan or Cadash? Not sure if they had password systems

Keihart

I can't remember if it was logo turtle on Atari or ghost and goblins on the arcades.
I definitely like ghost and goblins more and went on to punish myself with every other version through the years, what a fucking masochist game...and people dare to say Demon's Souls it's hard, yeesh.
this mother fucker...
iu

Edit: Today i learned that almost everyone here is an old fart lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back then games came out in the US first and then a bit later in Canada.

When SM3 came out, the big stores would get the game at their scheduled time, but some independents would get copies from the US (probably from Buffalo for Toronto based shops).

They were selling copies of SM3 for $150 cdn.

Cato

Banned
Game & Watch Parachute
I had a few other G&W too and then graduated to a proper console. Some really really crap Philips console with touch keyboard.
One of my friends had an Atari with Asteroids. I was so jealous.

Either... Moon Patrol, Track and Field, Alley Cat, Bristles, Zoro, Jumpman Jr. , Mountain King, Drol, Alternate Reality, Bruce Lee, Ollie's Follies, Lode Runner, international karate, Archon, Goonies, Montezuma's Revenge, or Kaboom.

Man we had a lot of games on the Atari disk drive

GreatnessRD

• Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt - This belonged to my Uncle and I had to be no more than 5 or 6
  • Sonic 2 - This is my first personal owned gaming experience. My father bought this for me when I was like 7 or 8
Oh what a time to be alive. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Elog

Asteroids on arcade -

Believe it was right after it came out since my memory tells me it was Christmas 1979 (and as I googles it it was released November that year). At the hotel they had just received it but not put it somewhere so I was allowed to play it with the coin hatch open - so for free!

MadYarpen

When I think about it... I would like to play it again! Chess like combat was interesting and the atmosphere was very good, at least from what I remember.

That is the first I remember playing on my PC.

There were also games on some console, contra, mario, tanks. But I was soooo young then.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

I think it must have been Gradius on the NES. It's also my father's favorite game. We played it a lot together when I was like 4-5 years old.

arcade-archives-vs-gradius-switch-screenshot01.jpg

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
It was the pong game - which they called Table Tennis - on the Magnavox Odyssey. It was also the first video game system I ever hacked - my dad got in on a trip to the US, and left it to me to work out how to modify it to work on a 50Hz UK TV.

SaucyJack

Asteroids on arcade -

Believe it was right after it came out since my memory tells me it was Christmas 1979 (and as I googles it it was released November that year). At the hotel they had just received it but not put it somewhere so I was allowed to play it with the coin hatch open - so for free!

Between this and arcade Space Invaders for me, both were around the same time and I've been hooked on video games ever since.

Happy memories of a misspent youth in the arcades:
- Pacman
- Donkey Kong
- Galaxian
- Missile Command
- Battlezone
- Centipede
- Frogger
- Battle Zone
- Scramble
- Defender

abcdrstuv

Banned
I'm going to ignore the "serious" part - my first experience was with a KayPro computer playing a Space Invaders clone from a floppy disk.. after that, "MadMaze" on Prodigy, which seemed infinite and unsolvable

Ogbert

Maybe Rygar?

Edit: scrap that, it didn’t have a password system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom