• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Redfall gameplay on Xbox Series X

Fredrik

But it's not a trait of mobile games. It's a common feature of co op shooters. Halo 3: ODST does it. B4B and the games that inspired it do it. Aliens: Fireteam Elite does it.

The highlights show immediately what intractable item you're looking at regardless of lighting conditions, and shows it from a distance, so you don't have to check every single item to see if it's something you can interact with.
It’s dumbing everything down and showing it from a distance is what makes it look bad. Highlighting a door frame when you clearly see there is a door right there. Just let the player move up to it, then pop up a button prompt that says Open Door. Not highlighting everything also makes exploring the world more awarding, they can do all sort of better looking visual cues to help the player not get stuck if that’s what it’s about.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just finished Ghostwire Tokyo and this seems like the western rip off of it lol

Game is ugly but I can give it a try if it has good comments.

BTW, I'm currently playing Shadow Dragon* 3 (WTH was I that never knew of these games?!) and after it and Ghostwire Tokyo, playing an FPS that doesn't let me quick dash arround while flickering will feel like a downgrade.

Edit: It's Shadow Warriors 3, thanks H hlm666 , I'm coming from a play session and probably have the word "Dragon" in my mind because of the main enemy lol

Last edited:

TVexperto

Oh joy, yet another game about shooting vampires. I can hardly contain my excitement. Redfall looks like a true masterpiece - if you're into repetitive gameplay and uninspired graphics, that is. But hey, who needs innovation when you can just shoot the same enemy over and over again, am I right? I'm sure this game will be an absolute thrill ride for those who enjoy mediocrity and muddy graphics. Have fun!

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is what it seems to me. The B team had a pop at a game

This in no way looks like anything Arkane has put out in the past. The damn thing looks like it moves akin to Killzone on the Ps3, it's got that awkward stiff movement, for a start. And those takedowns? We know Arkane can do takedown animations as Dishonored exists

The whole thing seems off..

Some real bullshitery happening here.
There is no B team at Arkane.

This is the team that created Dishonored and Prey. The other team created Dishonored 2 and Deathloop.

aries_71

Looks incredibly “run backwards in a straight line shooting them as they funnel toward you” if playing solo :/
Best description I ever heard for this type of game loops. It basically describes my 100 hours of solo Borderlands to perfection.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Where are the reviews?
Arkane & Microsoft:

secret smell GIF

SJRB

Gold Member

O my god the graphics are so bad. Blurry textures, flat surfaces, lack of detail everywhere. There's like zero dynamic shadows going on when using the flashlight. Shadows overall look either missing or baked.

Some particle effects aside this doesn't look any better than Dishonored 2, and that came out SEVEN YEARS ago.

Disaster.

Full disclaimer: this guy hasn't actually played the game but is ranting over already released footage and is just stringing news stories and reddit posts together to create this "review".

Last edited:

aries_71

A "review". . . that can't be bothered to develop it's own footage or conclusions.

We go real "smooth-brain" when it comes to confirmation bias.
Then let’s not give this conman any hits to this video. It’s just a false clickbait trap.

Ar¢tos

Stop moaning about the "less impressive than what would be desirable" graphics and framerate.
You are forgetting that it is because the game is doing absolutely groundbreaking innovative never seen before UNTETHERED©®™(patent pending) MP!
Without it, instead of looking like an extremely generic shooter, it would absolutely melt your eyeballs!

Last edited:

Schmendrick

This looks like an indi early access game. Unimpressive graphics floaty gunplay with barely any feedback, flat rather simplistic art style...... It looks cheap, generic and "unfinished" somehow

How the fuck do you get to such a result with a big budget? Ah scrap that I just remembered Halo infinite.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
There is no B team at Arkane.

This is the team that created Dishonored and Prey. The other team created Dishonored 2 and Deathloop.
It's so hard to believe though, it looks so far removed from what came before it, something went wrong somewhere

Just seems odd they've regressed this much.

Look at Saints Row, four brilliant games (I thought) then an utter dumpster fire. Arkane were brilliant but this? It looks like their Saints row.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This looks like an indi early access game. Unimpressive graphics floaty gunplay with barely any feedback, flat rather simplistic art style...... It looks cheap, generic and "unfinished" somehow

How the fuck do you get to such a result with a big budget? Ah scrap that I just remembered Halo infinite.

What was their budget?

Ogbert

Looks terrible.

As expected, needs about another two years of development, at which point it could be fantastic.

Clearly being rushed out way too soon.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's so hard to believe though, it looks so far removed from what came before it, something went wrong somewhere

Just seems odd they've regressed this much.

Look at Saints Row, four brilliant games (I thought) then an utter dumpster fire. Arkane were brilliant but this? It looks like their Saints row.
I know. The following comments answers your question to a large extent. It's the same team; it is just not the same.
Raph Colantonio (the president/co-founder of Arkane and director of most of their games) left the studio after Prey because he was sick of Bethesda's bullshit. This is the first Arkane game made completely without him... and it shows.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
A "review". . . that can't be bothered to develop it's own footage or conclusions.

We go real "smooth-brain" when it comes to confirmation bias.
Yeah, I thought the same, up front he says "and believe me, I get early access."

Which makes me conclude that he probably doesn't.

No matter though, whether Redfall turns out to be good bad or something in between the complaining won't stop.

Ugh! An outline!

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
Raph Colantonio (the president/co-founder of Arkane and director of most of their games) left the studio after Prey because he was sick of Bethesda's bullshit. This is the first Arkane game made completely without him... and it shows.

Actually, Colantonio didn't work either on Dishonored 2 (directed by Harvey Smith) and Deathloop (directed by Dinga Bakaba)

Redfall is directed by Harvey Smith (director of Dishonored 2 and co-director of the first one) and Ricardo Bare (Lead Designer on Prey)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
That city…oof. Bland doesn’t even begin to describe it.

Vampires running after you down a street 😂 I’m trying to find a reason to want to play this, but I can’t. This is nothing like a Far Cry game as was alluded to in the past.

I’m going to predict that this will be very poor for solo players, and average for co-op.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

Vampires running after you down a street 😂 I’m trying to find a reason to want to play this, but I can’t. This is nothing like a Far Cry game as was alluded to in the past.

I’m going to predict that this will be very poor for solo players, and average for co-op.
It's a Far Cry from Arkane's other works sadly.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

And then went on to make WEIRD WEST a game this forum outright ignored. So either people are overstating the "concern" about this game due to the lack of talent, or don't really care about the loss of talent and are globbing on to anything that suggests this version of ARKANE studios is now a soulless shell.

rjQyJRC.jpg

Real Michaelangelos over there

Door knob looks like an asset that just can't quite finishing forming - bless it's heart. The stove does look like an intentional design though. That you can't say for certain which is which is not a good look for the game.

If you run at enemies in FC you also are likely to have them all bearing down on you to kill you. I'm personally NOT going to play this like a bog-standard first person shooter and see if the game rewards non-aggressive approaches like they say it does, but I can't fault for people who choose to go the other way (though I think they are going to be disappointed when the game doesn't play like COD or other straight down the middle FPSs as you've alluded).

Will find out how good or bad it is in just over an hour

. . .or you could just NOT play it given you already know you aren't going to like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom