• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

Well just be aware if you're doing either one of those compounds (or both), they each put a tremendous amount of pressure on your spine. Especially as you go up in weight.

I think that's one of my personal issues with FitGAF and lifting - maybe even SS in general. A lot times new members come in here and ask for advice. Typically people just regurgitate the same things - suggesting SS. Which is fine and I think it's even better when they're being educated on specific form or corrections.

However, everyone's physical backround and aptitude is different. I feel as though better, perhaps even more appropriate consideration should certainly be given towards letting GAFFers know that a lot of lifts can be very dangerous. If not executed properly or in-line with someone's physique - specifically if they have some type of pre-existing condition or deficiency, then it's quite possible more harm will be done than good.

I have to disagree.

Do people who shouldn't deadlift / squat exist? Sure. But these people are avery small subset of the population. And they probably know it before they'd even consider posting for advice. But if you are an adult male who can walk, run, air squat, jump or swim, you can probably do the barbell lifts.

Part of the beauty of a linear progression or a well designed program is that it forces adaptation in very moderate, calculated increments. You can start with the empty bar and go up from there. A well designed program will never have you do something you are not adapted to. It will never have you squat 400lb when you can barely squat 225lb. It will never have you squat 225lb when you can barely squat 135lb. The adaptation is always programed so that, by the time a trainee is squatting 225lb, he then jumps to 230lb. Such a minute difference will not be enough to injure him, but it will be enough to disrupt homeostasis just a bit and drive adaptation an inch further.

Do squats and deadlifts "stress" the spine? Well, yes; that's sort of the point. But we are not just dry skeletons loading heavy things on our spines waiting for them to shatter like porcelain; strength training doesn't only strengthen the muscles: ligaments, tendons and bones are living tissue as well, and they will adapt to the training. A strong back is a very desirable thing to have in life, and nothing will give you that like squats and deadlifts.

I'm pretty sure that the bad rap squats and deadlifts have are due to the idiocy displayed by many gymgoers. They lift with their ego, moving weights that are beyond their capacity, and with terrible form to boot. There's a dude at my gym who loads up the bar with 365lb, and then 1/8th squats it. That's an injury waiting to happen. The guy could probably not squat 185lb to depth. He hasn't earned the 365lb. He is not adapted to it. But for someone who has trained to get to a legit 405lb squat, a 365lb squat is nothing. It's barely more than a warmup. Another guy used to do shrugs with 405lb. He was a showoff. He probably couldn't have deadlifted 275lb on a good day. That's what imprudence looks like. That's why people get injured. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of injuries related to the lifts have to do with bad form performed over a very short range of motion with very heavy weights. In other words: idiots. "Look brah! I can do a 1/5th of an inch leg press with 1400lb u mirin?...*crack*" <-- Hernia.

The current fitness industry tends to foster a "special snowflake" kind of attitude. I hate that. Most people are not special. Most people need to get off their asses and start training instead of just "working out". When I started squatting about 2 years ago, my knees hurt really bad the next day (and it was just the empty bar). That's what 30 years of being sedentary do to you; my joints were probably bubble gum. I went to an orthopedist and he told me I had bad knees, and that I should never ever squat ever again in my life. I disregarded his advice. I didn't train through the pain, but I waited 3 weeks for the pain to subside, and worked on my mobility, form and studied the mechanics of the squat and knee anatomy extensively. I refused to believe I had bad knees. 2 years later I'm squatting in the mid 300s and my knees haven't hurt since that first session. In fact it's the first time in my life I haven't had nagging knee aches.

The reason we recommend SS is because it works; because it's safe; because it's well designed, well thought out and it's accompanied by a book that contains the most complete, well written, well researched, well documented source of information on barbell lifts in probably the whole history of sports. We are not recommending people to go out and load 315lb on a bar and try to squat it while yelling at them for being such pussies; everyone should start light and work on form and go up from there; gradually, diligently, intelligently. An empty bar is not going to injure anyone who wasn't going to get injured just from picking up grocery bags anyway.

Mr. Fix

I wouldn't ditch them altogether yet. I noticed that one thing people do is let their shoulders rest forward when they do shrugs. Bring your shoulders back, contract your traps and then do the shrugs. That made all the difference to me.

I found a video that explains it. Please ignore the really stupid name of the video because despite that, the technique he describes is very helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNnhjJt6Wdk

The form kinda has me worried, but I'll give it a shot with low weights. Thanks, Point.

bjb

Banned
An empty bar is not going to injure anyone who wasn't going to get injured just from picking up grocery bags anyway.

I don't know what we're disagreeing on exactly, or how you interpreted my comments. I have no issue at all with people recommending SS (or any routine for that matter). Well, maybe cross-fit, but strictly because I think the expenses from the "culture" are a sham. Regardless, it's my own personal belief that any well adjusted person should maintain a healthy lifestyle. Part of that equation is exercise and strength training. The degree of that training will certainly vary from person to person.

That being said, there's very little consideration in our threads, or the OP in general for people to exercise caution when lifting. That's all I was trying to say. Lately it seems more and more people are posting regarding injuries or the need for sleeves/braces etc. For newer Gaffers - I think it's imperative that safety is noted somewhere or perhaps more frequently. Which there has been in some regard towards the growing trend of users asking / requesting form checks. Now granted, one could argue that the jest of what I'm suggesting is common sense. Yet if you're new into the realm of lifting (particularly compound / Olympic varieties), then you might not grasp the risk involved.

andycapps

Going to work out after school. I'll start incorporating more squats and compound lifts into my routine as suggested in OT4. Lunch for today will consist of Subway and a smoothie from work (Starbucks). I usually throw two scoops of protein in but today I'll have them throw in an extra.

That smoothie is probably loaded full of sugar.

ToxicAdam

They lift with their ego, moving weights that are beyond their capacity, and with terrible form to boot. .

This is a good point, and one of the hardest lessons to learn as a weight lifter. But it's not always about ego or showing off. Some people just want progress so badly they will delude themselves into thinking they are worthy or are actually practicing proper form/ROM. It's something I fight with constantly.

Zoe

Oct 4th
Weight: 142.85 lbs.
Bodyfat: 15.6%
Fat mass: 22.26 lbs (everybody tells me that can't be right.)

March 4th
Weight: 146.60
Bodyfat: 15.1%
Fat mass: 22.26 (same amount, probably a placeholder??)

142.85*0.156 = 22.2846
146.60*0.151 = 22.1366

Kwhit10

I don't post very often but I've been doing 5/3/1 for a few months now, and I really like the pace of it. I'm now just in the mindset that it is not a sprint, and the slow increase in weight on the major lifts is a good pace.

I used to not like OHP and thought it was very hard to progress but 5/3/1 has been awesome for it, and it is my favorite exercise to do now. I'm just looking forward to the day I can OHP my own body weight (185). I did 150 for 3 reps in my last cycle, so I know I'm getting close.

Dash27

We are not recommending people to go out and load 315lb on a bar and try to squat it while yelling at them for being such pussies; everyone should start light and work on form and go up from there; gradually, diligently, intelligently. An empty bar is not going to injure anyone who wasn't going to get injured just from picking up grocery bags anyway.

Good post.

andycapps

Yup. Make your own smoothies. Ridiculously easy.

Looks like 300 calories and about 40 grams of sugar for the small smoothie. I'm sure most people get the biggest one because it's a smoothie and it's "healthy." I agree, make your own smoothie if possible. If somebody is out and can't do that, probably better off buying a piece of fruit and a cup of water.

Szu

All right, we ended the last thread with a bunch of back shots. How should we commemorate this new thread?

Octavian

Banned
I have to disagree.

Do people who shouldn't deadlift / squat exist? Sure. But these people are avery small subset of the population. And they probably know it before they'd even consider posting for advice. But if you are an adult male who can walk, run, air squat, jump or swim, you can probably do the barbell lifts.

Yeah seriously. The post you quoted makes it seem as if GAF is full of manchildren. Maybe it is. It's like yeah, if you're in a fucking wheelchair or have some serious back issues, you don't want to be deadlifting.

Petrie

Banned
!

Almonds are great.

Yeah if you enjoy tree bark. :)

Still love you!

Now cashews, those are amazing.

And also how I gained so much weight during early SS. You guys said eat everything, so I'd have 3000 calories worth of cashers at night, after another 2500-3000 in my meals/shakes.

So good.

SeanR1221

Still love you!

And also how I gained so much weight during early SS. You guys said eat everything, so I'd have 3000 calories worth of cashers at night, after another 2500-3000 in my meals/shakes.

So good.

I think for my second round of Coan's cycle I'm ramping up my eating. Brown rice with my chicken, oats in my shake, a sweet potato with butter at dinner.

Still love you!

So good.

Wait, what, 6000 calories over 24 hours?
Or am I reading this post wrong.

SeanR1221

Just have a shit-ton of cashews instead.

They're basically the best food.

Oh yeah I'll buy this too

321063b.jpg

Veezy

que?
So much excitement for new ot.

Why not? Is fruit suddenly off limits?

1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
2 scoops greek yogurt
2 scoops protein powder
water as needed

Nothing is wrong with fruit.

The problem is a fruit smoothie is, basically, a cup of sugar. Natural sugar (sometimes), but still sugar. If you're not an active person who burns a chunk of calories, then you're just drinking, well, sugar.

what you just suggested is fantastic. However, it's not really a fruit smoothie. Is a protein shake with flavoring.

Petrie

Banned
Wait, what, 6000 calories over 24 hours?
Or am I reading this post wrong.

No, you're reading it right. 6000 calories a day easy.

It's very easy to overeat with nuts, and I was told to just eat everything, so I did.

My lifts went WAY up, but I absolutely got fat, and it took about 6 months of work to come down from the 215lbs I ballooned up to.

Was well worth it though. Gave me a great base of muscle to work with.

For the record, I can eat 8000 calories a day no problem. financial reasons are the biggest barrier, cashews and peanut butter are expensive.

Oh yeah I'll buy this too

Too bad they ruined it with all those nuts that aren't cashews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom