• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

just had six star whey isolate for the first time to try out the taste (i still have half a 5lb tub of shitty tasting protein to go through) and it tastes fucking DELICIOUS. my god. cant believe i have to go back and finish off the other shit now.

i think the cheap walmart protein has won me over..

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Girls don't look "manly" if they exercise right. Not really aware of what the trick is (tons of women fitness videos/article about this though), but all I know is that she shouldn't be doing the same routines you're doing if she wants the "fit" female figure.

Why not? She's a person, isn't she?

A thought for the OP: with the previous thread, a lot of people say they tried to read it but got overwhelmed. Inverse pyramid rule should apply here, important info at the top. The opening paragraph about beginner routines is right at the start but the programs themselves are at the very end. I think it should probably contain the names of the recommended programs and a link to the post below that outlines their actual structure.

SeanR1221

just had six star whey isolate for the first time to try out the taste (i still have half a 5lb tub of shitty tasting protein to go through) and it tastes fucking DELICIOUS. my god. cant believe i have to go back and finish off the other shit now.

i think the cheap walmart protein has won me over..

I wonder how it compares to the cytosport I still have.

ZeroRay

Too ashamed to post in the previous threads because I work out @ Planet Fitness.

Can't wait till I have a job again.

Imm0rt4l

Cool I'll look into this. I was considering taking an old faovrite of mine, scrambled eggs mixed with cottage cheese and salsa, which by the way I'd recommend to FitGaf.

I might try this. I'm not a fan of cottage cheese,but I want to like it. I've only had it with tuna though.

8byte

Banned
So I've increased my milk intake to help get more calories / protein, and as a result...I have absolutely terrible gas. Anyone got any solutions? Shit is seriously going to impact my lifestyle soon, lol.

Thanks.

10 ounces of chicken with vegetables. Nothing special but gets the job done.

Chicken or turkey with a huge portion of vegetables is one of my favorite meals. It's the seasoning that makes it "special" if that alone sounds boring. Using seasonal produce also helps stave off the monotony. Winter root vegetables baked with rosemary, garlic, and a little olive oil are amazing.

Mully

Looking for suggestions for high protein meals you guys take to lunch for work, anyone have any ideas?

I bake salmon on the weekends and then throw it in a to go container each weekday before class. Other times I'll boil chicken.

fawaz

Banned
So I know next to nothing about fitness in general, and I've been doing full body exercises three days a week for 6 weeks.

What routine should I move to?

f0nz0

Looking for suggestions for high protein meals you guys take to lunch for work, anyone have any ideas?

Costco frozen lean turkey burger (amazing macros, 200 cal, 6g fat, 2g carbs, 35g protein!)
La tortilla factory (Low carb high fiber tortilla/wrap, 80cal, 3gfat, 18g carb 12g fiber!, 8g protein)
Lettuce,tomato,onion,
Walmart brand spicy southwest mustard (0 cals)

Super tasty, super protein,high fiber and really filling. Pretty much a perfect meal in my book

43g protein
9g fat
20g carbs
12g fiber

Mully

Costco frozen lean turkey burger (amazing macros, 200 cal, 6g fat, 2g carbs, 35g protein!)
La tortilla factory (Low carb high fiber tortilla/wrap, 80cal, 3gfat, 18g carb 12g fiber!, 8g protein)
Lettuce,tomato,onion,

Super tasty, super protein,high fiber and really filling. Pretty much a perfect meal in my book

43g protein
9g fat
20g carbs
12g fiber

That sounds really good.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
New thread! I think I only participated in the very beginning and very end of the last one.

Anywho, I'm trying to do a diet of IF mixed with mostly paleo pretty much keto. Today I really had trouble concentrating on anything and felt tired and sluggish. Is that just how I'm going to feel if I have no carbs and don't eat for long periods? I've never dieted before.

So I know next to nothing about fitness in general, and I've been doing full body exercises three days a week for 6 weeks.

What routine should I move to?

One of the beginner's routines in the OP, and then keep at it for a couple of months.
I'm currently doing Westside for Skinny bastards.

Speaking of which, I've been kinda following the advice of switching up the neurologically demanding exercises every 2-3 weeks, and am looking for some feedback on what changes I should make.
I've followed the guide in the link above, and am sticking with the following up until week 4:

MONDAY (A.M.) - MAX-EFFORT Upper Body lift
Decline bench press – 1 set of 3-5 reps [ ___ kg]
Incline dumbbell press – 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps [ ___ kg]
One-arm row– 4 sets of 10-15 reps [ ___ kg ]
Seated dumbbell “power cleans” – 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps [ ___ kg]
Abdominal crunch machine – 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps [ ___ kg]
MONDAY (P.M.) - 30 minutes HIIT
TUESDAY - Rest
WEDNESDAY - 30 minutes HIIT
THURSDAY - REPETITION Upper Body lift
Bench press – 3 sets of max reps (60 seconds rest) [ ___ kg]
Rope pushdowns(triceps) – 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps [ ___ kg]
Lateral pull-downs (back) – 4 sets of 8-12 reps [ ___ kg]
Dumbbell lateral raises (medial deltroids and trap) – 3 sets of 10-15 reps [ ___ kg]
Hammer curls – 3 sets of 8-10 reps [ ___ kg]
Ab. crunch machine/Dumbbell side bend (no rest in-between sets) – [ __ /__ kg]
FRIDAY – Rest
SATURDAY - Lower Body lift
Squats – max set of up to 5 reps (one set) [ ___ kg]
Barbell step-ups – 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps [ ___ kg]
Hyper extension – 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps [ ___ kg]
Plate pinch gripping – 3 sets for 60 seconds (60 second rest) [ ___ kg]
SUNDAY – Rest

Then I'm planning on switching it up like this:

MONDAY (A.M.) - MAX-EFFORT Upper Body lift
Close-grip bench press – 1 max set of 3-5 reps [ ___ kg]
Decline dumbbell press – 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps [ ___ kg]
Horizontal row exercise – 4 sets of 10-15 reps [ ___ kg ]
Cable “scarecrows” – 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps [ ___ kg]
Abdominal crunch machine – 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps [ ___ kg]
MONDAY (P.M.) - 30 minutes HIIT
TUESDAY - Rest
WEDNESDAY - 30 minutes HIIT

THURSDAY - REPETITION Upper Body lift
Dumbbell incline bench – 3 sets of max reps (60 seconds rest) [ ___ kg]
Rolling triceps extension – 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps [ ___ kg]
Pull-ups (back) – 4 sets of 8-12 reps [ ___ kg]
Dumbbell shrugs (medial deltroids and trap) – 3 sets of 10-15 reps [ ___ kg]
Preacher curls – 3 sets of 8-10 reps [ ___ kg]
Ab. crunch machine/Dumbbell side bend (no rest in-between sets) – [ __ /__ kg]
FRIDAY – Rest
SATURDAY - Lower Body lift
Deadlift – max set of up to 5 reps (one set) [ ___ kg]
Barbell step-ups – 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps [ ___ kg]
Leg curls – 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps [ ___ kg]
Plate pinch gripping – 3 sets for 60 seconds (60 second rest) [ ___ kg]
SUNDAY – Rest

What strikes me as odd is that you are according to the program meant to pick one exercize per group of exercises for each given day, and they've grouped together squats with deadlifts:

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT - Work up to a max set of 5 reps.

Choose one of the following exercises:

Trap bar deadlift
Box squats
Rack pulls (partial deadlift)
Front squats
High bar Olympic squats
Straight bar deadlifts (various grips)

Combined with the previous advice of switching it up every 2-3 weeks, am I meant to do 2-3 weeks of squats on my leg day followed by 2-3 weeks of dead lift?
I'm happy with the two other days, and like the lego aspect of the program (have ensured that even when I do switch up the main movements, I still get incline, decline, and flat bench press movements at any given week).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Canned salmon
Lentils
Salsa if you want more taste

Mix that shit in a boiling pot and badda bing badda boom. It will look gross (the canned salmon in particular comes out in the shape of the can) but all dem macronutrients brah.

Srsly

Banned
New thread! I think I only participated in the very beginning and very end of the last one.

Anywho, I'm trying to do a diet of IF mixed with mostly paleo pretty much keto. Today I really had trouble concentrating on anything and felt tired and sluggish. Is that just how I'm going to feel if I have no carbs and don't eat for long periods? I've never dieted before.

There's a good chance you will feel much better as your brain adapts and becomes more efficient at utilizing ketones. This could take anywhere from a couple of days to a week.

SeanR1221

Lettuce,tomato,onion,

43g protein
9g fat
20g carbs
12g fiber

Oh yeah I buy those too

Imm0rt4l

Give it a week or so. Your metabolism has to switch/adapt from using glucose as fuel to oxidizing fat produce ketones.

blackflag

You'll feel that ways for only a week or so if you are doing it right. If you are eating too many carbs, you'll swing back and forth from keto and it will prolong your shitty feeling.

If Keto suits you, you'll actually have more energy and be more focused after a week or so. Some people seem not to do that well on it though.

_Isaac

So my hip still hurts frequently. Basically, since I've started SS, it's been bothering me, and squatting seems to exacerbate it a bit. I've tried stretching, foam rolling, and some mobility stuff. That seems to help, but it still sticks around. I went to the doctor about it, and he basically said to stop squatting and running for a week or two or until the pain is completely gone. Then I can get back on the wagon, but making sure I warm up properly. Yeah so there you go. Just expressing myself.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You'll feel that ways for only a week or so if you are doing it right. If you are eating too many carbs, you'll swing back and forth from keto and it will prolong your shitty feeling.

If Keto suits you, you'll actually have more energy and be more focused after a week or so. Some people seem not to do that well on it though.

What does "not do well on it" mean? Also, about what is the maximum amount of carbs I could eat to not swing out of it?

CrankyJay

Banned
It must be bodyweight dependent. I was looking for more of a calories based percentage.

I've already noticed bad breath :(. Any other downsides I should look out for?

How many calories do you consume a day?

50g of carbs is 200 calories (there are 4 calories per carb gram)...or 10% of a 2000 calorie diet.

Trey

Switched for SS to a plyometric routine. I know that's not this forum's speed, so I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

grumble

Once you give it a few days your body will somewhat adjust to the lower carbs. Personally I'm not a big fan of any of the diets you're doing, but many people love them and swear by them.

grumble

So my hip still hurts frequently. Basically, since I've started SS, it's been bothering me, and squatting seems to exacerbate it a bit. I've tried stretching, foam rolling, and some mobility stuff. That seems to help, but it still sticks around. I went to the doctor about it, and he basically said to stop squatting and running for a week or two or until the pain is completely gone. Then I can get back on the wagon, but making sure I warm up properly. Yeah so there you go. Just expressing myself.

Double check form like knees sliding forward at the bottom, and look into lifting shoes. Helped me

Noema

Some amount of hip pain at the beginning is to be expected if you have been sedentary all your life. Being sedentary and spending a lot of time sitting shortens your hip flexors (mostly the psoas, but I don't know if that's where it hurts). When you started squatting, your hip flexors were forced to stretch much farther than they are used to. That's probably why they hurt. It'll go away. Don't work through the pain, though.

By all means take a week off, but make the best of it. Work on mobility. Do the couch stretch! You could also try this to open up your hips: http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/01/episode-363-pre-squat-hip-opener-mob-rx.html

ezrarh

Screw bear testosterone, fit gaf should get on that kangaroo testosterone.
enhanced-buzz-30878-1362671626-18.jpg

Sallokin

Someone at the tail end of the last thread suggested beating an egg w/ a scoop of protein powder and microwaving it. Tried it today with a bit of honey and it was amazeballs.

finally got a squat rack. sadly it has to stay in my garage, as I cannot get it in my house. I guess I have to buy another bar and some weights.

I'm pretty excited, this is a huge gap in my exercise regimen.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Back, and going to sleep.

While I was gone I began really working my new job. During that new career I started packing out an inmate's stuff. It got hot so I took of my sweater, another inmate came up and immediately asked how much I bench.

Dat ego.

And now off to bed for my next shift.

I'm BACK!

rando14

While I was gone I began really working my new job. During that new career I started packing out an inmate's stuff. It got hot so I took of my sweater, another inmate came up and immediately asked how much I bench.

Dat ego.

I'm BACK!

ibjscdNfC1IV4i.gif

WB

Petrie

Banned

Dat ego.

I'm BACK!

Try to last at least a week before you get banned big guy!

Seriously though, glad you're back. You were missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom