• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

Anyone? Brolic? Bish? Sean?

I'm far from ideal for asking anything to do with muscle building, I've never actually had that as a goal yet, I've just been cutting and lifting for years and been building muscle along the way.

That said, 5/3/1 with joker sets and FSL is a lot of good volume. That plus proper accessories should take you very far. I'd skip deload day and eat at a surplus as well. I don't do the joker sets due to shitty public gyms and how hard it is to get the equipment you need. I'll likely start doing them after home gym is built. I do FSL and am a huge fan of it.

I'm far from ideal for asking anything to do with muscle building, I've never actually had that as a goal yet, I've just been cutting and lifting for years and been building muscle along the way.

That said, 5/3/1 with joker sets and FSL is a lot of good volume. That plus proper accessories should take you very far. I'd skip deload day and eat at a surplus as well. I don't do the joker sets due to shitty public gyms and how hard it is to get the equipment you need. I'll likely start doing them after home gym is built. I do FSL and am a huge fan of it.

What special equipment do joker sets need?

despire

They don't. You just need to hog the bench for a longer time.

Thanks. I'm just interested to hear everyone's opinion who have run the program for any length of time.

What do you do for accessories?

Took a couple more photos. Hard to really get any decent shots because the lighting is bad in there (if I was staying longer I'd replace the standard bulbs with strip lights).

pupaq.jpg

rqow6.jpg

ljpex.jpg

Need to work out the spotter bar heights for bench / squat... but not today, am nursing a hangover (18 year anniversary yesterday!).

Edit - Oh, and the bar is a Rogue Ohio Power Bar.

Damn, officially hit 50 pounds down this morning. Feels good. Had to step on the scale a few times to confirm since it's 3 lbs(!) less then yesterday.

Probably got another 50 or so to go though.

Everything there, aside from the dumbbells... around ~3400 USD (would actually cost a good chunk less than that in the US).

That's.. alot cheaper than I expected. I'll definitely look into investing one once I own a home.

Damn, officially hit 50 pounds down this morning. Feels good. Had to step on the scale a few times to confirm since it's 3 lbs(!) less then yesterday.

Hell of a feeling, ain't it? Keep it up brother.

BumRush

Took a couple more photos. Hard to really get any decent shots because the lighting is bad in there (if I was staying longer I'd replace the standard bulbs with strip lights).

pupaq.jpg

rqow6.jpg

ljpex.jpg

Need to work out the spotter bar heights for bench / squat... but not today, am nursing a hangover (18 year anniversary yesterday!).

Thanks man! It looks really good. Also, not as much $ as I expected. Enjoy it!

Funny story, I kinda cracked my head open tripping and smashing into a wall corner in a hotel on Marco Island. It's a dumb looking scar.

Lol, wait, that's not funny at all! Was it the marriott?

Freddie! Freddie! Freddie! Great job dude!

BumRush

Haha definitely. Ill bring the tight shorts.
Where are you at Bum?

I live out on Long Island, but I have to go into NYC for client meetings occasionally.

You loving the city so far?

(I love it because I grew up here but my sister lives in LA and it's hard to compete with 70+ and sunny all year round)

I live out on Long Island, but I have to go into NYC for client meetings occasionally.

You loving the city so far?

(I love it because I grew up here but my sister lives in LA and it's hard to compete with 70+ and sunny all year round)

Bro we absolutely have to get together. I had no idea you were so close.
I love the city from April-Nov and then kind of go crazy during the winter. Not really because of the snow but just because its so gray.

BumRush

Bro we absolutely have to get together. I had no idea you were so close.
I love the city from April-Nov and then kind of go crazy during the winter. Not really because of the snow but just because its so gray.

I feel you...My in-laws snowbird down to Florida so my wife and I have been doing that for years (for sanity).

Absolutely, I'd love to get together. I'll hit you up next time I am in NYC.

Cagey

Banned
What's the current concensus on 5/3/1 for general strength/hypertrophy? Yay or nay? Anything I should know/do that isn't in the original book ie. what's the best way to do it? 5/3/1 or 3/5/1? First set last? Joker sets? Assistance after that?

Edit:
Read the seemingly relevant parts of Beyond but would still like some pointers.

Jokers and FSL or just FSL?

How much assistance would you do afterwards?

When I "bulk" (read: eat lots of cookies and brownies in the winter time and tell myself its all muscle, bro), I default to 5/3/1 because it fits what I like to do: max effort on smaller rep ranges. I'm more a fan of the Dorian Yates Blood & Guts program than I am the standard 4x8-12, for example.

For the latest installment of 5/3/1, I'm finishing up a December-March run in a couple weeks. This time, my wife joined, so I've had to adjust even more than usual on how to approach the program.

For strength and hypertrophy alike, you'll need more legitimate working set volume than it calls for. Run your three working sets for the day and then jump into joker sets. Keep going until you know you'll fail the next set: at that point, the next and final set should be the first working set you did (the first-last thing he talks about). You'll likely be able to push out more than 5 reps on all non-deadlift exercises, so just go for as many as you can on that, with 10 being a logical stopping point (with deads, just stop at 5 or 3). If you're still feeling good, do that one more time. If you feel more exhausted than a typical workout, then don't. Listen to your body.

Early on you can skip the deload week, as well. Of course, if your body is screaming, listen. But you'll most likely not feel any different on this routine than others save for inevitable mild joint soreness until you're way advanced. For me, when that happens, that's the note to take a week and chill. I would say that happens after every ~4 cycles to me: finish up the 1+ week, shoulders and elbows and wrists are more sore than on a standard bodybuilding routine, so I do a legitimate deload week to give the joints some rest from the stress.

If concerned about time in the gym, two tips:

First, especially since you'll need to do more real working sets, don't do Boring But Big. Don't be the asshole who is in one of the gym's two squat racks for 45 minutes because you need to do 5 sets of 10 squats for baby weight. Instead, utilize the companion assistance lifts he mentions: follow up squats with stiff-legged deads; follow up overhead press with close-grip bench; etc. You're moving onto new equipment, you'll keep the workout a bit more varied to stay interested, you'll address other muscles not primarily hit by the main lift, but you'll still be working to improve your big lifts.

Second, do your warmups relatively quickly: 30-40 seconds rest. You don't need 2 minutes rest in between three separate sets when you're pushing half of what a normal working set (let alone a max set) would be.

For hypertrophy... after the above, you can toss in a few related accessory lifts that serve the dual purposes of pretty muscle-building but also big lift assistance. So on bench day, for example, it could look like this: bench, incline bench, close-grip lat pulldown (strong upper back as base for bench), reverse flyes (same).

As long as what you're doing is not interfering with you crushing the big lift every day and progressing, "tinker" away to achieve your personal goals.

BumRush

Do any of you IF cats know whether or not a little flavored cream in your coffee negates the impact of IF? I'm currently eating in a 6 hour window but I have about 12 oz. of coffee with a little cream in the morning. Am I doomed!?

Faiz

Do any of you IF cats know whether or not a little flavored cream in your coffee negates the impact of IF? I'm currently eating in a 6 hour window but I have about 12 oz. of coffee with a little cream in the morning. Am I doomed!?

Berkhan used to say no more than 50cal worth, more than that and you risk bumping out of fasted state.

Yeah, I've always worked on the basis of no more than 60kcal. If I have coffee with milk, I make sure I don't have another with milk for another couple of hours.

That's a really nice rig. My home gym works for the time being, but it's a total craigslist/self made setup. Once my wife graduates in 2017 I really want to upgrade to a Rogue Rack.

Here's my current setup:
IMG_4025.jpg

Yours is a lot tidier than mine is right now!

When I eventually buy a house I'm going to get the beams removed from the garage and have the walls plastered to make it a much nicer environment (like yours).

What is a proper warmup up to a working set of 5 reps?

I used to start with 10 reps with just the bar, 5@40%, 3@60%, 2@80%. Later I added another set of 1 rep at 90% because the jump from 80% to 100% was over 60 lbs in a 315lbs deadlift for example.

Sometimes I add another set at 95% for my squats and bench but I feel this is too much waste of time and sometimes even counter productive. But I'm in at an impasse. Too little weight in the warmups makes the jump to the working weight very large and I fail. Too much weight in the warmup exhausts me unless I take long breaks and I fail, but at least I feel safer. Is there any protocol you guys follow successfully?

mkenyon

Banned
I don't know the answer to this. But I do know that it makes you less of a man.

Faiz

That's a really nice rig. My home gym works for the time being, but it's a total craigslist/self made setup. Once my wife graduates in 2017 I really want to upgrade to a Rogue Rack.

Here's my current setup:
IMG_4025.jpg

Nice. I wish I had that kind of space. Would kill to have space for a rower and GHD.

I'm thinking about building some jerk blocks to put in the garage this fall, at least I could easily stack them up in a corner and keep space for both our cars.

I don't know the answer to this. But I do know that it makes you less of a man.

Related... after my cycling event this weekend I asked the guy on the coffee stall for a triple espresso. He looked at me quizzically then said I must be nuts. The funny thing is, normally I'd have asked for a quad, but I'm trying to cut down. lol

mdsfx

Wow. I came off a really bad cheat weekend and started IF this week to take control of my cravings and get this cut dialed in.

I am absolutely buzzing after my first meals each day at lunch which consist of 500ish calories of protein and fat (less than 10 g carbs). This is such a good feeling!

Question/help...

I tried to perform front squats for the first time today, and had great difficulty in simply positioning the bar correctly. For reference I was trying to do this kind of grip:

Front-Squat.jpg

However I just couldn't get my wrists/arms to bend that much, and it was even hurting my right elbow. I just couldn't get my upper arms parallel with the floor, and it felt as if I was holding the bar into my neck rather than on my shoulders. Is this a mobility issue? Maybe I'll just stick to back squats :(

Yeah it's your mobility.

It's not unusual for someone untrained to not have the flexibility/coordination to hold that position.

It's just something you'll have to build up over time.

a few cues that can help though...

- always do your best to keep your elbows up and parallel to the floor
-don't hold the bar with your hands. it rests along your shoulders, and then you use your hands to keep it in place
-you may find it easier to hold the position using a moderate weight (like 100lbs) vs. an empty bar or a broomstick

SeanR1221

Dude. I remember you back when I posted back in the day. You've made such awesome progress. Way to go man!

Thanks man and I'm happy to see you're back! Still have that awesome gym I see.

Jameson and hard cider is heavenly!!

Looking great Sean!

275 bench today, middle of my workout so I'm happy. Don't think I could have done it twice but I'm hoping in the next 4 weeks I'll hit 275 paused with a legit warmup.

I'd love to say I can hit 300 by the end of the year but a quarter is a tall order in 9 months.

I did change my chest routine a touch as my old one felt a little stale and the weight is ratcheting up at regular intervals since so I'm happy. Had a few slow weeks of no progress but overall I'm happy now that I'm back on track with diet+routine.

+1 to this.

Looking good dude. Arms look great!

Thanks Bros. and that's a big mile stone on bench, Jack. Nicely done!

Anyone? Brolic? Bish? Sean?

I was doing jokers and FSL together. Now I did a big reset and I'm just doing two FSL sets but I'm moving away from strength gains as I approach the summer. The joker sets can get rough and definitely make 5/3/1 a good program.

For assistance I was chasing more of a BB style but you could always stick to the big compounds if strength is your concern. Can never go wrong with 3x5/ there.

Nice. I wish I had that kind of space. Would kill to have space for a rower and GHD.

I'm thinking about building some jerk blocks to put in the garage this fall, at least I could easily stack them up in a corner and keep space for both our cars.

Yah I lucked out with the space. When we bought the house the guy had built this "shed" out for his pottery hobby. Now it's my workout space.

I got a killer deal on the rower, some guy had one that had hardly been used and put it on craigslist for $300. I was the first to respond. When I got there he said he had 42 emails.

Yeah it's your mobility.

It's not unusual for someone untrained to not have the flexibility/coordination to hold that position.

It's just something you'll have to build up over time.

a few cues that can help though...

- always do your best to keep your elbows up and parallel to the floor
-don't hold the bar with your hands. it rests along your shoulders, and then you use your hands to keep it in place
-you may find it easier to hold the position using a moderate weight (like 100lbs) vs. an empty bar or a broomstick

I'm no beginner to weightlifting (2+ years) but I have just never tried front squats before. I'll keep these tips in mind when I next try, indeed with the empty bar it kept sliding back and forward on it's hooks whilst I was trying to get used to the position.

I was more concerned by the fact I had some weird pain in my right elbow whilst trying to get the position right though.

Thanks anyway.

ILoveBish

Down to 223.6 this morning. I'm hoping this week I can get to an all new low, but we'll see. My lowest so far is 218.4 but I'm leaner now then I was then I feel, during the winter I put on some good muscle.

It's just hard to get everything you need in at the gym since lifting is so popular now.

Thanks. I'm just interested to hear everyone's opinion who have run the program for any length of time.

What do you do for accessories?

I have a set routine for each compound day, multiple times a week. I'm refining it now actually, but it's going to change again once home gym is ready. I can post my previous if you'd like.

Looks awesome. Seriously excited to have my home gym.

BumRush

275 bench today, middle of my workout so I'm happy. Don't think I could have done it twice but I'm hoping in the next 4 weeks I'll hit 275 paused with a legit warmup.

I'd love to say I can hit 300 by the end of the year but a quarter is a tall order in 9 months.

Looking good dude. Arms look great!

Dude. 300 is yours well before end of year!!!

Kureransu

Hey FitGAF,

Been away for a bit. But i come back with great news lol. My bench goal has been to get 350lbs. I finally Got it! Words can't express how great it felt to achieve this goal. Since i had a slip and fall accident messing up my Hips and Back, I can't dead or squat anywhere near as much as I once used to. Actually I'm not even cleared to squat yet, so the bench and OHP are the only big lifts i can really focus on.

Anyway, here's the lift

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCsgv4iRHBf/?taken-by=kureransu

Kureransu

Made it look ridiculously easy.

I think you're replying to me? If so, yeah I was legit surprised. I hadn't don'e Much arbell benching in a while. I was actually doing hammer and dumbbell.

What motivated me was I went to the Arnold Sports Festival the weekend prior. While in columbus we hit up the Powerhouse where we had a few (relatively) big names lifting there as well, where i tried 335 (my current max was 330) and got it with no problem. So come the following tuesday I kept thinking how easy 335 was so i went for it. and BAM!

Cudder

Hey FitGAF,

Been away for a bit. But i come back with great news lol. My bench goal has been to get 350lbs. I finally Got it! Words can't express how great it felt to achieve this goal. Since i had a slip and fall accident messing up my Hips and Back, I can't dead or squat anywhere near as much as I once used to. Actually I'm not even cleared to squat yet, so the bench and OHP are the only big lifts i can really focus on.

Anyway, here's the lift

Good shit man. Just curious, how come you decided to jump 15 pounds into a PR and not take up the weight slowly, by 5lbs or so?

edit: just saw your above reply. so you just felt like going for it? Kudos, man! When I approach 1RM levels of weight I wouldn't dream of increasing the weight that much. Only 5lb increments for me! lol

Hey FitGAF,

Anyway, here's the lift

Dude you're a beast. You made that look stupid easy. How much do you weigh?

Kureransu

Good shit man. Just curious, how come you decided to jump 15 pounds into a PR and not take up the weight slowly, by 5lbs or so?

edit: just saw your above reply. so you just felt like going for it? Kudos, man! When I approach 1RM levels of weight I wouldn't dream of increasing the weight that much. Only 5lb increments for me! lol
Thanks! Yeah that's why I went 335 the first time, only 5lb, but I'm like what the heck.

Legitimately jealous. lol
Thanks
Dude you're a beast. You made that look stupid easy. How much do you weigh?

I weigh 222 right now. Starting cutting this week to get back down to 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom