• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinjooh

Thought jokingly about filming myself doing ab wheels, but looking back I actually Wish I had. There was way more to that exercise than I had inititally thought. Back tension, should position. Depth of motion etc.

Gonna watch some videos before doing it next time.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
For you peeps that do full day, 24-36 hour fasts, do you eat vegetables during? (I know this wouldn't really be considered a fast) I'm thinking of fasting on lower cal vegetebales to fulfil micro nutrient needs so I dont develop deficiencies.

I plan on fasting on rest days and pounding carbs and protein on lift days. See what this does for me.

BlueTsunami

You don't need to worry about micronutrients on such a short fasting period.

That's good to know. I've only ever fasted for 14 hours or so, consistently. This is a whole new experience for me lol. I'm surprised at the lack of hunger almost 24 hours in. I actually wandered into the kitchen just now out of habit and boredom instead of actual hunger.

ILoveBish

Felt good to be in the gym again, damn. I effing despise this gym so much tho. It's sucked the joy of lifting from me. Not to much longer tho. Hit 4x155 on overhead press easily. Just redoing my last 3/5/1 session right now.

For you peeps that do full day, 24-36 hour fasts, do you eat vegetables during? (I know this wouldn't really be considered a fast) I'm thinking of fasting on lower cal vegetebales to fulfil micro nutrient needs so I dont develop deficiencies.

I plan on fasting on rest days and pounding carbs and protein on lift days. See what this does for me.

The entire point of fasting is so that your metabolism is firing at 100%, and the way you stop a fast is by introducing a insulin spike. A lot of veggies are high carb and can cause a spike immediately. I would avoid personally but you can try.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Log press day with suicical band attachment.

http://youtu.be/QFmfPyertdg

Strong AF, my man!

Damn dude. Nice work.

Looking good. Must be BBQ gains!

Thanks guys, but the weight is sub par, that said given that I thought I tore my quad a few weeks ago this is looking good. And yeah Sean, it sure isn't hurting.

New workout absolutely kicking my ass, but definitely making good progress, especially arms:

ugYhaSQ.jpg

Arm brah.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dude, you're making that banded press look super easy but I'm guessing it's not. How much weight equivalent is that???

Also, how much were you upright rowing??????????

Not sure, it's 150 straight weight, then whatever is band tension. It's not easy, especially at lockout. Doesn't really matter as weight isn't important as training speed. When this is used.

That's a snatch grip high pull and it's great for upper back and traps, and it's 225 on the bar.

mdsfx

I'm starting to lose some strength and am caring less about cutting anymore. I think I'm going to skip the sub 10% BF goal. I'm at 10-11% already. I don't think it's worth it :/

Does that just sound like an excuse?

Not sure, it's 150 straight weight, then whatever is band tension. It's not easy, especially at lockout. Doesn't really matter as weight isn't important as training speed. When this is used.

That's a snatch grip high pull and it's great for upper back and traps, and it's 225 on the bar.

I love me some snatch grip high pulls. Can't recommend them enough. Nice work btw, you look like a tank.

BumRush

Insane on both fronts. The high pulls especially.

justjim89

Had a pretty decent fast going today, from midnight last night to 6pm today. Went for an evening cardio session, feeling good. Go down to the kitchen for a snack before bed, ended up eating 4 hot dogs, bun and all, and a bowl of ice cream. Went from having a 1,000 calorie deficit for the day to being about 200 calories over. Fuck.

Appetite control is hard, especially for a guy that doesn't eat vegetables.

M52B28

Banned
There's nothing worse than weighing yourself once a week/month and catching your body at the wrong time (holding onto lots of water) and thinking you haven't accomplished anything.
Okay, I got back on the scale and it read 229 lbs.

That's still 4 lbs gained back. After spring break, I'm going to start my new job, so I'll be able to get more healthy foods.

Main reason why I haven't been eating that amazing is because I've been broke. For a while, I was eating really, really healthy due to having a job, but now, in dependent on my parents who don't really want to dish out money.

Confession: my mom made cinnamon rolls on a snow day we had when I came home. I ate two.

Also, knowing that I've already lost a bit of weight, I'm going to start cutting more and more. When I look in the mirror, I see me, a guy with a muscular frame with a fair bit of extra fat to trim off.

Just gotta keep going, I guess.

velociraptor

I'm starting to lose some strength and am caring less about cutting anymore. I think I'm going to skip the sub 10% BF goal. I'm at 10-11% already. I don't think it's worth it :/

Does that just sound like an excuse?
My cut has been subpar D:

I have no idea what I'm doing.gif

I've dropped calories, focused on heavy compound movements with low volume but high intensity. Still lost muscle but not enough fat. dammit.

On the subject of cutting... what's the best way to transition? I've been gaining a little shy of 0.5lbs a week averaged out over my bulk, and I'm thinking I might as well do a reasonably slow cut as well (it's REALLY hard for me to gain strength with all the cardio I do, and I don't want to lose it.)

So what's the best way to switch? Do I just take off 500kcal to start and adjust from there, or am I best snipping off 200kcal a week or something until I hit maint at first, then start cutting? I'll still be doing intermittent fasting, if that makes a difference.

mdsfx

...or am I best snipping off 200kcal a week or something until I hit maint at first, then start cutting? I'll still be doing intermittent fasting, if that makes a difference.
This is what I did. The transition made it much easier on me. I switched to maintenance for a few weeks at least. Dropping 1,000 calories overnight is way too much of a dramatic change for me to handle without becoming super crabby lol

JoeNut

After feeling a bit down and unmotivated yesterday i really went for it and smashed PB's on Squat and Bench press, fucking get in there.

now i cant make it upstairs however

KillerBEA

Bench went up to 150 today, yeeeeees! Grind rep but I knew I would make it.

Just Deadlift left to go this week, hoping to pull 295 tomorrow. I got this!

BlueTsunami

After feeling a bit down and unmotivated yesterday i really went for it and smashed PB's on Squat and Bench press, fucking get in there.

now i cant make it upstairs however

Same for me. Started squatting with a belt on my last working set and being able to push myself harder made me feel soreness I haven't felt in a while

On the subject of squat, I've been noticing some pain in what I can only assume are tendons at the back of my knees when I've been squatting recently. It goes a short while after I finish my workout, but it's enough to have me concerned that I'm doing some damage.

I'm wondering if it's maybe because of some tightness in my legs (Because I technically work my legs 7 days a week, they never get a rest day).

mdsfx

When you injure your foot 1.5 weeks out from a race you are very much trying to set a new PR in. Ah life... You motherf***er lol

mdsfx

How bad is it?

I don't know. It's a pain along the outside edge of my foot and some of the padding slightly underneath, between my heel and mid-foot. No idea what it is. It's actually more painful to walk than to run. It hurts when i'm standing flat-footed as opposed to on my toes.

Truthfully, I'm going to only cycle from now until the race and I'm running that race balls out and dealing with the consequences. It's what I always do when I have an injury, but I know one day that will bite me in the ass.

BumRush

I don't know. It's a pain along the outside edge of my foot and some of the padding slightly underneath, between my heel and mid-foot. No idea what it is. It's actually more painful to walk than to run. It hurts when i'm standing flat-footed as opposed to on my toes.

Truthfully, I'm going to only cycle from now until the race and I'm running that race balls out and dealing with the consequences. It's what I always do when I have an injury, but I know one day that will bite me in the ass.

Sounds like it could just be overuse, to be honest (you've been running a lot more lately, correct? And you put on weight / muscle so it's extra pressure on your feet). If you broke or tore something, I doubt it'd be okay when running. RICE / cycling only and hopefully you'll feel great on race day!

mdsfx

Sounds like it could just be overuse, to be honest (you've been running a lot more lately, correct? And you put on weight / muscle so it's extra pressure on your feet). If you broke or tore something, I doubt it'd be okay when running. RICE / cycling only and hopefully you'll feel great on race day!
I only run twice a week, specifically to avoid overuse, cycling all of the other days. One thing I realized is that my shoes were pretty damn snug when I used my wool socks this last weekend, and I don't think that helped.

BumRush

I only run twice a week, specifically to avoid overuse, cycling all of the other days. One thing I realized is that my shoes were pretty damn snug when I used my wool socks this last weekend, and I don't think that helped.

Oh wow, yeah I thought you ran a lot more. Definitely stay off it as much as possible. Avoid lifting exercises that out extra pressure on feet. Ice the shit out of it.

You don't have gout, do you?

velociraptor

On the subject of cutting... what's the best way to transition? I've been gaining a little shy of 0.5lbs a week averaged out over my bulk, and I'm thinking I might as well do a reasonably slow cut as well (it's REALLY hard for me to gain strength with all the cardio I do, and I don't want to lose it.)

So what's the best way to switch? Do I just take off 500kcal to start and adjust from there, or am I best snipping off 200kcal a week or something until I hit maint at first, then start cutting? I'll still be doing intermittent fasting, if that makes a difference.
On the subject of transition, how does one go from cut --> bulk without becoming a fatass? Slowly increase calories per week? Jump straight into maintenance?

despire

Decided to give cutting/recomping with Eat Stop Eat another chance. Basically I realized that my caloric intake was maybe 400kcal over every non-fasting day the last time I did it, leading to slower fat loss.

Anyway I'm interested to see what happens when I eat at maintenance or slightly over 4 days a week and then fast 1-2 days. I would still like to lose a kilo or two but can't do it on a normal daily caloric restriction. It's been 8 months and while my deficit has been reasonable, the length of time, lack of sleep and training a bit too much lately has lead to a severe lacknof sex drive. I feel ok but my GF is going crazy :p

So I gotta do something. Scaled training back to 3x week which also allows me to sleep more on two nights per week. Also gonna up the calories like I mentioned.

It's not really the sort of thing that gets done in the UK. You tend to see doctors when you're obviously ill rather than for getting general health tests.

I'm sure that sort of thing exists, but I'd have no idea where to look for it.

...and to be honest, I'm sure it's got as much to do with being busy as fuck and being together 18 years as anything else. :p

Who has time for sex with all this lifting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom