• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

So, I'm trying to figure out a new lifting plan, since I guess I've been doing too much all at once, but I'm just feeling kinda confused. I'm looking at the the full-body workouts in the OP, but is that all I should be doing? I feel like I could do all that for each day in like 45 minutes. How long should rests be between sets? I think I'm gonna keep using the Smith machines for some stuff, but try to work in some dumbbell exercises, too. I know I ought to incorporate deadlifting or something similar in some fashion, but I know what to do about it. Or something like power cleans, I literally can't think of an alternative that can be done at the Planet Fitness I go to. I'm just kinda confused on what to actually do. Maybe my vocabulary of exercises just isn't big enough.

When you first start 5x5 you can get the workout done in like 30 minutes or less. It'll be relatively easy for a while provided you start light enough (you should be). In due time, it'll eventually take you significantly longer to complete each workout. I'd advise against the smith machine. The strength programs in the OP are as simple as it gets in terms of progress and programming. Simple works.

Cudder

I see people doing mad weight on the smith machine but from what i've heard it's bad for you because it doesn't work the muscles you use for balancing and distributing the weight, kind of like leg press as well i suppose

Not only that, but using a smith machine makes you more injury prone than doing free weights for the simple fact that your body is locked to the path of the bar, with no chance of minor, simple adjustments your body might have to make while lifting. It's an unnatural movement, being so locked in place.

justjim89

You must not be resting barely at all if you aren't stretching the truth about doing 67 sets of exercises in 90 minutes or less.

If you don't need to rest for more than a minute with that kind of volume, you are doing extremely light weights.

I'm sure others have already pointed you to better ideas.

It's better than sitting at home, of course, but you only get out what you put in with fitness and health, so assuming you have the means to do better, I don't know if placing the utmost priority on convenience and cost is the best idea when it comes to those things.

It doesn't feel light, I'm generally lifting as much as I feel I can do. I just don't know what to do sitting there between sets, so I go back to lifting pretty much as soon as I catch my breath.

And it's not really that I'm placing priority on cost and convenience out of laziness. I only make about $40-50 a month and I don't always have access to a vehicle to use for my own purposes, so cheap and close kinda has to be a priority.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't feel light, I'm generally lifting as much as I feel I can do. I just don't know what to do sitting there between sets, so I go back to lifting pretty much as soon as I catch my breath.

And it's not really that I'm placing priority on cost and convenience out of laziness. I only make about $40-50 a month and I don't always have access to a vehicle to use for my own purposes, so cheap and close kinda has to be a priority.

I didn't mean to imply that you did. Again, what you're doing is better than nothing, of course. If your situation doesn't allow for you to do more, then there's no point letting it bother you.

You must have some very impressive recovery ability if you really don't need to rest much at all between sets despite the weight not feeling light to you.

That is really a ton of volume.

justjim89

I didn't mean to imply that you did. Again, what you're doing is better than nothing, of course. If your situation doesn't allow for you to do more, then there's no point letting it bother you.

You must have some very impressive recovery ability if you really don't need to rest much at all between sets despite the weight not feeling light to you.

That is really a ton of volume.

I think that's why I'm feeling confused. It simultaneously kinda feels like I'm doing too much and not enough. And it's not like what I've been doing hasn't been working, exactly. Thanks to lack of control over my appetite, my weight loss has slowed but I've definitely been putting on some muscle mass. It was just starting to feel kinda inefficient, in a way. Since I want to lose about 20-30 more pounds, what I really need to do I think is get my appetite under control and focus on cardio. But I also ought to start separating my workouts into different muscle groups for different days. I haven't been able to go to the gym in like 3 or 4 days, so I think I've just been overthinking it.

I appreciate all the advice y'all have been giving.

JoeNut

Can anyone recommend a workout for me to start, I've been doing 5x5 for about 6 months and I'm getting bored of it to be honest, I think a change would be good to keep me going, still happy to do squats and BP however

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone recommend a workout for me to start, I've been doing 5x5 for about 6 months and I'm getting bored of it to be honest, I think a change would be good to keep me going, still happy to do squats and BP however

If you're still making progress, why change?

JoeNut

If you're still making progress, why change?

I feel like I've stalled a little, particularly on bench but that probably down to me being on either deficit or maintenance calories. It's just a boredom thing really, I'm just in a bit of a routine at the moment and it'd be good to try something different for a little while

I think it's about time to face the fact that whatever is wrong with me with regard to bench / shoulders / dips isn't going to change, certainly not in the short term, maybe not without surgery. Who knows.

Despite bulking and increasing my weight 13lbs in the last six months I've only put about 2.5lbs on my bench, and that seems to have gone down again in the last couple of weeks. I've tried paused, boarded, wide grip, narrow grip, incline, decline, dumbbells, banded and more. I've had a pro powerlifter help me get my form dialled in. I've done pretty much every accessory known to man, and I've also significantly increased both my bicep and tricep size and strength (something I hadn't bothered with previously because it's useless to my sport).

So yeah, I'm giving up barbell bench press. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with, but I'm probably going to focus on hypertrophy there. I do want to try and get myself doing dips, but I'm not particularly hopeful things will improve there.

How much ya bench?

Nothing.

VPhys

So I'm thinking of using this template for my planned bulk:

PPLPPLx

Push
- Bench Press
- Incline Bench
- Weighted Dips
- Skullcrushers/Tricep Pushdown
- Face Pulls

Pull
- Deadlift
- Weighted chin-ups
- Lat pulldown
- Cable Row
- Barbell curl

Legs + Shoulders
- Squat
- OHP
- Lateral Raise
- Rear Delt Raise
- Abs

On the 'first' session it will be heavy weights, 4-5 reps for compounds. For the second session, will go for lighter weights, ranging from 6-10 reps

Seem OK?

Why are you doing face pulls on push days?

VPhys

I think it's about time to face the fact that whatever is wrong with me with regard to bench / shoulders / dips isn't going to change, certainly not in the short term, maybe not without surgery. Who knows.

Despite bulking and increasing my weight 13lbs in the last six months I've only put about 2.5lbs on my bench, and that seems to have gone down again in the last couple of weeks. I've tried paused, boarded, wide grip, narrow grip, incline, decline, dumbbells, banded and more. I've had a pro powerlifter help me get my form dialled in. I've done pretty much every accessory known to man, and I've also significantly increased both my bicep and tricep size and strength (something I hadn't bothered with previously because it's useless to my sport).

So yeah, I'm giving up barbell bench press. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with, but I'm probably going to focus on hypertrophy there. I do want to try and get myself doing dips, but I'm not particularly hopeful things will improve there.

How much ya bench?

Nothing.

What rep and set range have you been working with for bench. I've been doing a 5x5 twice a week and it's done wonders for my bench. Along with a 3x6 thrown in there every 3rd workout.

VPhys

Slowly but surely making progress. The picture above was from the beginning of March. This is today. Down almost 6lbs in 3 weeks. Starting to get a little definition back, hopeful that if I can cut down about 20 more pounds more I'll start to look pretty defined. Thoughts? Will I need to go even further? 20lbs down would put me at about 185lbs. I have a hard time estimating my body fat sometimes because I grew up fat thinking I was just "normal" so now I feel like I'm too hard on myself, or maybe I'm kidding myself and I'm way fatter. Helpful for me to hear some feedback.

image.png

In good news, I just snagged a shipment of 72 quest bars for $100 shipped. I'm pretty stoked about that.

Wow, amazing how noticeable that 6lbs is. Keep it up.

Psycho, I'm sure you tried everything. I'd suggest not giving up bench though. Just switch to high volume instead.

Not really sure it would be the best use of my time. Maybe if I used a much smaller rest period with a much higher number of reps, but I'd probably end up barely being able to bench the bar. :p

What rep and set range have you been working with for bench. I've been doing a 5x5 twice a week and it's done wonders for my bench. Along with a 3x6 thrown in there every 3rd workout.

Yeah, I've done 5x5 twice a week for the last 9 months, hasn't really done anything.

If I've had a particularly bad 5x5 I'll throw in as many reps as possible on a lighter weight.

VPhys

Not really sure it would be the best use of my time. Maybe if I used a much smaller rest period with a much higher number of reps, but I'd probably end up barely being able to bench the bar. :p

Yeah, I've done 5x5 twice a week for the last 9 months, hasn't really done anything.

If I've had a particularly bad 5x5 I'll throw in as many reps as possible on a lighter weight.

I would throw in some sets of 2 or 3. For example swap out one of the 5x5 days with a 2x7 or a 3x6. This has worked for me as far as simply getting the 1 rep max up. And 9 months is a long time to be doing the exact same thing, especially if you are doing it 2x a week. Your body has likely gotten used to that which is why you've plateaued.

Guess I thought I should balance out the pressing. But you're right, I'll move it to pull days.

So, good plan? bad? improvements?

I like it except I would alternate barbell with dumbbell curls to ensure you don't develop a muscle imbalance. And for leg days I'd add an accessory movement. You could even alternate an accessory movement per week, for example one week do a quad dominate movement, the next week a hamstring and/or glute movement etc.

If it's too much volume adding a leg movement you could drop abs from your routine, depending on what your goals are.

I would throw in some sets of 2 or 3. For example swap out one of the 5x5 days with a 2x7 or a 3x6. This has worked for me as far as simply getting the 1 rep max up. And 9 months is a long time to be doing the exact same thing, especially if you are doing it 2x a week. Your body has likely gotten used to that which is why you've plateaued.

You probably don't know my history on this one, but I'm not exactly normal when it comes to bench (most likely because of old injuries). It took me a year to get my numbers to the "untrained" level.

I've tried all sorts of rep ranges over the last couple of years, and I haven't really been doing the "exact same thing" because I've been putting in deloads and making modifications to what I'm doing when I do that. That aside from the mixing up of various accessories (and rep ranges on the accessories) to back up the main lift.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A question for you or whoever else wants to answer. On your front squats, your shoulders go forward while your hips rise for just a second as you come up. Is that something I should look to avoid? Or is it alright? I was thinking it might mean I'm trying to go to heavy.

Nice lifts btw

You should avoid it. This was a maximal 3 rep max with chains, so form broke down. Thanks.

Ambitious

Today, I went running for the first time in about eight months.

I haven't done any cardio at all since then, just a bit of basic strength training at a beginner's level (push-ups etc.). So I didn't expect to make it particularly far.

Back then, I usually had to take breaks after every two kilometers or so, but surprisingly, today I managed to run my entire route without any breaks at all, even though there are several steep hills. In fact, when I returned to town, I didn't want to stop just yet, so I ran an extra lap of two kilometers.

So that's 8.2 kilometers (5.1 miles) in 57 minutes. I don't think I'm gonna repeat this tomorrow, but I'm nonetheless very happy about today.

Nope, not gonna happen. My legs hurt too bad to run, as expected.

velociraptor

I like it except I would alternate barbell with dumbbell curls to ensure you don't develop a muscle imbalance. And for leg days I'd add an accessory movement. You could even alternate an accessory movement per week, for example one week do a quad dominate movement, the next week a hamstring and/or glute movement etc.

If it's too much volume adding a leg movement you could drop abs from your routine, depending on what your goals are.
Fair enough. I'll alternate with DB curls.

What leg movement could I add? I've got a squat rack and barbell only.

JoeNut

Gonna move to 3x5 i think, can't seem to go up any weight on my bench with 5x5 so that seems a decent solution, hopefully that'll help keep me motivated and feeling like i'm progressing by lifting more than being at the same weight for over a month on my bench.

Arm related... are there any exercises in particular to "lengthen" my biceps.

Currently if I bend my arm (not flexed, just bent), there's a gap of about an inch between my elbow and where my biceps start and it looks sort of odd.

Edit - Ahh, apparently not, has to do with insertions. Oh well.

ILoveBish

House inspection went great. Met the dude living there, he's a hardcore PC gamer and we had a ton in common. Ceiling in garage is 100" high so rack is going to fit no worries. I've decided on the Titan fitness HD rack, which is a replica of the rouge r3 rack. I would love for there to be a Easter sale when I order so I'm going to wait till Sunday to see. Getting the dip bars and the spotter arms with it.

crpav

Arm related... are there any exercises in particular to "lengthen" my biceps.

Currently if I bend my arm (not flexed, just bent), there's a gap of about an inch between my elbow and where my biceps start and it looks sort of odd.

Edit - Ahh, apparently not, has to do with insertions. Oh well.

Yep genetics determines that and nothing can be done. I have the same thing. I hate how my biceps look when not flexing and I have my arm straight and extended. Looks so flat and strange like I have no bicep.

Cranked out 3x16 on strict pull-ups over the weekend. Pretty happy with this at 207lbs. Hoping to break the 20 mark when I'm around 190lbs.

Cudder

Gonna move to 3x5 i think, can't seem to go up any weight on my bench with 5x5 so that seems a decent solution, hopefully that'll help keep me motivated and feeling like i'm progressing by lifting more than being at the same weight for over a month on my bench.

That's the whole point of 5x5, you're supposed to drop the sets and eventually reps when you can't progress any further.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
House inspection went great. Met the dude living there, he's a hardcore PC gamer and we had a ton in common. Ceiling in garage is 100" high so rack is going to fit no worries. I've decided on the Titan fitness HD rack, which is a replica of the rouge r3 rack. I would love for there to be a Easter sale when I order so I'm going to wait till Sunday to see. Getting the dip bars and the spotter arms with it.

I didn't know you were into PC gaming! One more reason to respect ILoveBish!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I should probably be asking a doctor this, but....

I broke/dislocated my left wrist twice skateboarding when I was a kid. Occasionally it bothers me if I hit something or if I'm lifting something heavy awkwardly in my day to day life.

It's never really bothered me in the gym until recently. I was doing preacher curls this morning and now it's been bothering me all day to the point I'm icing but it's starting to feel better. It's not injured or anything, just sore.

Can anyone recommend some kind of wrist wraps or something for support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom