• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsfx

Well it certainly seems to be fine if taken correctly
(initially thought it was harmful),
will take it into consideration but right now I need to manage my diet in order to get bigger.
Diet before everything. I remember taking creatine in late high school thinking what a difference it would make. My diet was crap. No wonder it didn't do much!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Last time I took creatine my elbows swelled up so much I couldn't bend them.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I took creatine once in high school. My grades dropped to Ds and Fs and I ended up in rehab.

mdsfx

Much like heroin and high fructose corn syrup, creatine is "fine" in moderation.

hqdefault.jpg

Cooter

Much like heroin and high fructose corn syrup, creatine is "fine" in moderation.
Not with my addictive personality. After that first scoop I didn't sleep for 5 days. From there I got hooked on BCAAs. Rough times indeed.

Cooter

That was a long time ago. I'm not proud of those days at all. I'm in a much better place now. If my story can help just one person here then it wasn't all for nothing.

Faith

I took creatine once (around 3-4g) and lost 20 lbs of lbm.

Srs, don't use creatine. First it starts with creatine and 3 months later you're already on your first test cycle.

Definitely taking a rest week. Will use this time to go over some of my homemade cable stuff and add a second cable position for more appropriate cable crossovers. Need to replace my pulleys and cables anyhow. They've been working great forever but friction does take its toll, even though I've been greasing them regularly.

Lol it is definitely possible.
As i said on the previous page, I have friends at 6k to maintain and others can't eat over 2k without becoming bloated messes. Everyone is different.

To add, I work 2 jobs. Construction being my main so I burn a TON of calories at the day job. I get up at about 2:30 AM and don't come home until after 3 or 4 PM so there's that. Then I train and get to my 2nd job - programming until bed. I eventually hope my 2nd job can nix my 1st job next year but we will see.

Broke through my bench plateau! My 1 rep max is up to 185 now. Hope to get over 200 before summer is over.

WOOOO! Grats dude!

mdsfx

So as not to have a freakin heart attack tomorrow morning, how much of Beta-Alanine, L-Citrulline, and caffeine should I use based on my current preworkout below? Problem is they don't say exactly how much of each is in it since they are mixed with other ingredients. I have no idea if there is 10mg of caffeine or 150 :/

So as not to have a freakin heart attack tomorrow morning, how much of Beta-Alanine, L-Citrulline, and caffeine should I use based on my current preworkout below? Problem is they don't say exactly how much of each is in it since they are mixed with other ingredients. I have no idea if there is 10mg of caffeine or 150 :/
Citrulline Malate is best at 6 grams (if 2:1 citrulline:malic acid), Beta Alinine is 4g and caffeine is 200mg

Use a scale that measures in milligrams.

Those numbers are what you should be taking daily after many studies. CM works best before the workout, Beta Alanine anytime like Creatine.

Caffeine pill 45-60 minutes prior. CM about 30 minutes.

Edit: for reference, Citrulline is far better for NO production (by increasing arginine production) than straight Arginine. Taking citrulline with malic acid increases Citrulline uptake. Citrulline is usually more expensive than malic acid so combining the two 2:1 ratio will yield the same absorption as 3 CM.

So 4g Citrulline and 2g malic acid yields the same uptake as 6g citrulline or 12-14g-ish of Arginine.

Most Pres are glorified flavored caffeine mixes with grossly underdosed BA and CM. 4g BA is pretty much the standard. You will feel like you are in an iron maiden for about 20 minutes with that single dose. Don't fret.

Cooter

Lol what happened in here over night?
I know it's usually all fun and games in here but we may have saved someone's life last night.

_____

And WTF is up with those YouTube comments is right? What kind of pitiful loser says that stuff?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lats are absolutely wrecked today. I have to think this is due to the 12" log press and stabilizing it in the rack position and overhead. It's very hard to control. Should be a very interesting addition to training.

I know it's usually all fun and games in here but we may have saved someone's life last night.

_____

And WTF is up with those YouTube comments is right? What kind of pitiful loser says that stuff?

It really isn't at big of a deal. It was someone looking to get a reaction, someone who probably lurks Neogaf, best to not give it attention.

Lats are absolutely wrecked today. I have to think this is due to the 12" log press and stabilizing it in the rack position and overhead. It's very hard to control. Should be a very interesting addition to training.

It really isn't at big of a deal. It was someone looking to get a reaction, someone who probably lurks Neogaf, best to not give it attention.
Good. If they are lurkers they will know I am willing to break their spine and continue on with my day like nothing happened. Shit is uncallled for.

All you gotta do is be like "Jacksinthe, SIC EM!" and I'll be like "JACKSINTHE SMASH!". Not like you can't do that yourself but I got a bit of a bloodlust problem when people say stupid shit to fam. I'm a super nice guy otherwise :D

mdsfx

Citrulline Malate is best at 6 grams (if 2:1 citrulline:malic acid), Beta Alinine is 4g and caffeine is 200mg

Use a scale that measures in milligrams.

Those numbers are what you should be taking daily after many studies. CM works best before the workout, Beta Alanine anytime like Creatine.

Caffeine pill 45-60 minutes prior. CM about 30 minutes.

Edit: for reference, Citrulline is far better for NO production (by increasing arginine production) than straight Arginine. Taking citrulline with malic acid increases Citrulline uptake. Citrulline is usually more expensive than malic acid so combining the two 2:1 ratio will yield the same absorption as 3 CM.

So 4g Citrulline and 2g malic acid yields the same uptake as 6g citrulline or 12-14g-ish of Arginine.

Most Pres are glorified flavored caffeine mixes with grossly underdosed BA and CM. 4g BA is pretty much the standard. You will feel like you are in an iron maiden for about 20 minutes with that single dose. Don't fret.

Thanks. Isn't beta alanine responsible for the tingles? You don't prefer to take that before your workout?

Thanks. Isn't beta alanine responsible for the tingles? You don't prefer to take that before your workout?
It's entirely up to you. Some people report a stimulant like response alongside paresthesia from BA but not everyone. So it may be beneficial to take it before or not - depends on how you respond.

Other than that, take it like Creatine. I personally take both before with my caffeine since I have nothing better to do on my drive home from work.

Also, blueberry is another killer flavor from Kool Aid sugar free squeeze mix. Bonkers.

The only thing I like about beta alanine is the rush I get right before every workout with it. There's always one moment where I just stop and rub my hands through my hair aggressively and feel tingles all over my head/hands/forearms. Makes me shiver and gets me super pumped up.

I don't feel anything else after that, lol.

I personally couldn't deal with 4g in one hit. I think 2.5g is bad enough... but I don't weigh nearly as much as most of the people here, so I'm guessing that that's partly to do with it.

(I take 2 x 2.5g, one early on, one just before workout)

Unrelated, eaten complete crap all weekend. Alcohol, fast food, the works. Haven't counted anything, haven't aimed for particular protein intake. Odds on that I've lost weight come tomorrow's weigh in... that, or I'm about 10lbs over my target. lol

mdsfx

I personally couldn't deal with 4g in one hit. I think 2.5g is bad enough... but I don't weigh nearly as much as most of the people here, so I'm guessing that that's partly to do with it.

(I take 2 x 2.5g, one early on, one just before workout)

Unrelate, eaten complete crap all weekend. Alcohol, fast food, the works. Haven't counted anything, haven't aimed for particular protein intake. Odds on that I've lost weight come tomorrow's weigh in... that, or I'm about 10lbs over my target. lol

yep. i just mixed it up for tomorrow and opted for 2g of it. the tingles are strong enough at 2g!

sphinx

the piano man
does anyone here cook their food days in advance?

I tried that some weeks ago but my chicken and fish were all dried up and felt like cardboard in my mouth by the time I wanted to eat them :(

how can I keep them moist and yummy??

DjRalford

Hi FitGaf

Started going to the Gym from 1st April, i am so out of shape it is just not funny, i've started going directly after work each morning, with one swim session thrown in for good measure.

They set me up a routine that takes me about 45 minutes, so i can get back home before the kids leave for school.

10 Minute warm up @ 8 - 9km/h crosstrainer
3 sets x 10 reps of
Leg Press
Chest Press
Lat pull down
Seated cable row
15 minutes treadmill @ brisk walk / light jogging pace (6.5 - 8km/hr)

First few times i went i was completely fucked by the end of it, panting for breath like a dog, but this morning is the first time i have completed everything without breathing being out of control.

Redone my Boditrax after 7 days to find i've already lost 1.4kg of fat in a week since my first gym session, i'm sleeping better too as i am tired around an hour after getting home.

Now all i have to do is keep it up!

DjRalford

I tried that some weeks ago but my chicken and fish were all dried up and felt like cardboard in my mouth by the time I wanted to eat them :(

By freezing it surely? I make massive batches of curry, chilli and slow cooked stews etc that I freeze in portions and then microwave as I need them.

Try cooking the breasts to 155F, then let them rest in foil to carry over cook to 165F, monitoring with a thermometer.

Cool them quickly and vacuum seal, then refrigerate, when you come to use one it will still be nice and moist.

mdsfx

Try cooking the breasts to 155F, then let them rest in foil to carry over cook to 165F, monitoring with a thermometer.

Cool them quickly and vacuum seal, then refrigerate, when you come to use one it will still be nice and moist.
Right on the money. Don't overcook it. Also, vinegar based bbq sauces are low calorie and delicious. I use Stubbs! 2Tbs = 25cal, 5g carbs. I use it every day for my chicken.

BumRush

Stews and other crock pot meals will stay for 5 days NO problem. Give it a shot.

Ixian

For meat cooking, I can't recommend a sous vide device enough. My girlfriend got me this one for Christmas and having perfectly cooked meat every time is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom