• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrocious

Another question. This question is kinda weird but I figured I'd ask.

So I've been losing weight successfully. I've lost 45lbs so far within a year. As of December, I increased my weightlifting from 3x a week to 6x a week. I love it.

So obviously, my energy consumption has increased. I'm no longer sedentary.

The problem is that I wish to lose more fat. I'm used to eating 1500-1700 cal a day. From my research and what others tell me, that's way too low for how often I go to the gym and even for someone with my stats (6'2" male/220lbs/17.75% BF).

I want to do my cut healthy. Therefore, I should increase my caloric intake right?

I made a thread where I'm documenting how I feel as I consume 2200-2400 cals a day for a week. So far, I'm getting nauseous at night.

The reason I'm making this change because my weight loss has slowed down considerably.

Seems to just be whey protein for me, and it seems a number of people get it.

(Oh, and I'm not lactose intolerant. Or if I am, it seems that I'd have to drink litres to trigger it.)

I thought being lactose intolerant meant you'd be pooping a ton cause of dairy lol.

Are you eating right before you lift?

Normally no. However these headaches only started Friday when I increased my caloric intake.

SeanR1221

So I've been losing weight successfully. I've lost 45lbs so far within a year. As of December, I increased my weightlifting from 3x a week to 6x a week. I love it.

The problem is that I wish to lose more fat. I'm used to eating 1500-1700 cal a day. From my research and what others tell me, that's way too low for how often I go to the gym and even for someone with my stats (6'2" male/220lbs/17.75% BF).

I want to do my cut healthy. Therefore, I should increase my caloric intake right?

I made a thread where I'm documenting how I feel as I consume 2200-2400 cals a day for a week. So far, I'm getting nauseous at night.

The reason I'm making this change because my weight loss has slowed down considerably.

I thought being lactose intolerant meant you'd be pooping a ton cause of dairy lol.

Normally no. However these headaches only started Friday when I increased my caloric intake.

When I hit this point, I SLOWLY upped my calories, like 50 a week until I started gaining weight.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I had a hell of a cheat weekend, gained five pounds, and squat is still in free fall. I'm just going to stay strict until my next vacation and up the protein intake. Eggs are cheap again!

Squats - 185x5, 230x5, 255x1
Good mornings - 120 5x10

I'm starting to look for an Olympic weightlifting gym. Probably going to take a free crossfit class on Saturday and see if they teach any lifts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Reading about the weight fluctuations in here makes me realize just how consistent my body weight has been. Doesn't matter what I do, it's been at 185 forever.

High school eating junk never working out -> 185
College, working out periodically and eating junk -> 185
Working out consistently and stuffing myself -> 185
On Thursday I weighed myself and I think I had gained .7 of a lb.

despire

Add calories in slowly. Like 100 every 5-7 days until you start gaining weight. Then you can start to diet again.

It's called reverse dieting and it's meant to reverse the "negative" metabolic adaptations caused by dieting. If I remember correctly your fat intake is ok already so start adding carbs. 25g more carbs every week or so.

last week diet was fun but could have planned it out better. did fried food so i didn't really think through the protein intake and only did lunch and dinner.
i'll try it again later in the year lol.

Afrocious

When I hit this point, I SLOWLY upped my calories, like 50 a week until I started gaining weight.

Add calories in slowly. Like 100 every 5-7 days until you start gaining weight. Then you can start to diet again.

It's called reverse dieting and it's meant to reverse the "negative" metabolic adaptations caused by dieting. If I remember correctly your fat intake is ok already so start adding carbs. 25g more carbs every week or so.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

I already made a jump to 2200-2400. I think that was unwise but I'm already 3 days in, so I may as well see how things are once Friday comes around.

If I'm over 220, then I'll lower it.

By freezing it surely? I make massive batches of curry, chilli and slow cooked stews etc that I freeze in portions and then microwave as I need them.

I cook my omelettes every other day, so one week I tried doing them in advance as a big frittata, cut it into pieces and then froze it. Absolutely disgusting

Kieli

Fit-gaf, what are you thoughts on an exercise bike?

I want a low-impact way to increase my cardio health. I tried running before, and it's great, but I injured a bone in my foot and now I can't run anymore.

My goal is to not lose weight (honestly don't care what weight I am), but I do want to burn fat. So I'll need to set up a consistent schedule of eating clean.

despire

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

I already made a jump to 2200-2400. I think that was unwise but I'm already 3 days in, so I may as well see how things are once Friday comes around.

If I'm over 220, then I'll lower it.

It's probably ok. What you're doing is just another way to do it (called a diet break). Trouble with that approach is trying not to eat too much, but a week isn't really long enough to see any considerable fat gain anyway (unless you go way overboard).

Diet break is quicker but more prone to error perhaps while reverse dieting takes considerably longer but is a more foolproof approach I'd say. Though in the end both are just two different ways to achieve the same result.

Afrocious

It's probably ok. What you're doing is just another way to do it (called a diet break). Trouble with that approach is trying not to eat too much, but a week isn't really long enough to see any considerable fat gain anyway (unless you go way overboard).

Diet break is quicker but more prone to error perhaps while reverse dieting takes considerably longer but is a more foolproof approach I'd say. Though in the end both are just two different ways to achieve the same result.

Dude, thank you so much for putting these things into actual terms. I spent too long doing my own research. You've made this a lot easier.

And yeah, you're right about a week not being long to notice solid changes in weight/BF%. I was more talking about the fact I've been getting nauseous since I upped my caloric intake.

Perhaps eating 2100+ calories suddenly shocked my body when it wasn't used to it. I dunno.

Starviper

So i'd been pretty good about going to the gym over the winter. I'd go at least 2, sometimes 3 times a week after work and do some cardio and light lifts, my workouts lasting around 40 minutes with some time in the hot tub after.

I'm not fat by any means (5'11", and about 160) but my job is very sedentary. Overnight office shifts for 12 hours at a time 3-4 days a week. I do take at least 30 minutes every night and walk around the building.

I stopped going over the last month and cancelled my membership as spring/summer is starting up, along with that i've definitely noticed myself losing the strength and energy I had. Been in a bit of a personal slump as well. Not looking for any major muscle gains, mostly just want to keep toned and fit.

Any particular exercise routines you guys might recommend, or diets that wouldn't be too hard to work into? I'm planning on biking somewhat regularly once the weather around here is good enough for it. I might even start up another gym membership, just got hard for me to keep the routine due to stress and lack of motivation.

Edit: Read the OP. Very informative!

KillerBEA

Off to a good start this week with a 5lb improvement on overhead press. Wasn't sure about it going in, but I nailed it. Now for Squats tomorrow, which I am very confident I can add 5 lbs to.

Holy crap at this homemade preworkout. I feel fucking fantastic!

Edit: Wooooooooo!!
Welcome to preworkouts costing like 10 cents per mix :p

Definitely the way to go so you don't get filler crap. You can also toss in a B12 pill in the mix if you need it. Should get enough from food, but if not, they are dirt cheap at CVS.

Also BulkSupplements on Amazon is great. Excellent quality and price. Been using them since I started training again last year.

-

Rest week sucks but this weekend wiped me with the house. Feel like crap today. Going to shoot for sleep this week. My Zzzzs gonna make all kinds of gains.

despire

Dude, thank you so much for putting these things into actual terms. I spent too long doing my own research. You've made this a lot easier.

And yeah, you're right about a week not being long to notice solid changes in weight/BF%. I was more talking about the fact I've been getting nauseous since I upped my caloric intake.

Perhaps eating 2100+ calories suddenly shocked my body when it wasn't used to it. I dunno.

Glad to help.

Touch wood, might have hit my weight target, which means I can finally start cutting back down again. Really need to make sure I eat crazy amounts today and tomorrow to be sure though.

entremet

I want a low-impact way to increase my cardio health. I tried running before, and it's great, but I injured a bone in my foot and now I can't run anymore.

My goal is to not lose weight (honestly don't care what weight I am), but I do want to burn fat. So I'll need to set up a consistent schedule of eating clean.
They're great, especially for multitasking.

I prefer intervals on exercise bikes. Slow and steady bore me. Intervals are also better for fat loss.

BumRush

Touch wood, might have hit my weight target, which means I can finally start cutting back down again. Really need to make sure I eat crazy amounts today and tomorrow to be sure though.

I can't imagine how tough it would be to gain weight with all of the cardio you do. Crazy.

My airdyne is my favorite piece of cardio equipment ever. Joint pain free and an insane workout.

mdsfx

Haha, man. I took three weeks off from squatting to get my sciatica feeling better and my legs were wobbling on 225 pounds. Damn.
Yep, same thing here as I was letting my foot heal. Another week or two and you'll bounce back. Amazing how quickly you lose it :(

Yep, same thing here as I was letting my foot heal. Another week or two and you'll bounce back. Amazing how quickly you lose it :(

Haha, I know. I was hitting 335 for three just before this and on the fourth rep of 225 I was like, what the hell? Oh well. Fast to lose, slow to gain.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Down 9lbs since I've come back on the 26th of March.

20160410_1706397sskq.jpg

I was 224 after my gain on my CA trip and was 216.5 with clothes and boots on so I just decided on 215 with clothes weight accounted for even though I know it's slightly less.

The goal is for sub 200 by July 4th.

Edit - Not sure why the pic uploaded sideways ><

BumRush

Down 9lbs since I've come back on the 26th of March.

20160410_1706397sskq.jpg

I was 224 after my gain on my CA trip and was 216.5 with clothes and boots on so I just decided on 215 with clothes weight accounted for even though I know it's slightly less.

The goal is for sub 200 by July 4th.

Edit - Not sure why the pic uploaded sideways ><

Looking great! Keep at it! Sub-200 is going to be such an insane milestone for you!

2g beta alanine, 2.5g L-Citrulline, 100mg caffiene. I take creatine with my shake later. Will probably up the citrulline to 3g twice daily.
Citrulline benefits most from single doses up to 8 or 10g. Higher than that is when a split is usually recommended. Minimum is 6g before a workout to start seeing the benefits. There are a lot more benefits to it other than the pump so some folks do take a lot more like 8g twice daily.

I would do some light reading. 2.5 is definitely an underdose, imo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looking great! Keep at it! Sub-200 is going to be such an insane milestone for you!
Realistically I could've hit 200 like 4m ago but got LAX but I haven't regressed. I've basically stabilized which is better than regression.

Il likely hit 200 by next month sometime at this pace then I start going all in on toning.

I suspect I have a hernia "/

On friday I had a big salad then went lifting and had this uncomfortable sensation in my stomach. I thought it would pass after I digested some, but it reappears every time after eating. I will wait a week before visiting the doc, see if it goes away

Citrulline benefits most from single doses up to 8 or 10g. Higher than that is when a split is usually recommended. Minimum is 6g before a workout to start seeing the benefits. There are a lot more benefits to it other than the pump so some folks do take a lot more like 8g twice daily.

...and related:

In men with erectile dysfunction as assessed by weak erections (assessed by erectile hardness score) given 1,500mg citrulline daily (two doses of 750mg) for one month was able to benefit half of the 24 patients assessed (as assessed by 'very satisfied' with treatment) while there was merely a 8.3% improvement in placebo.

mdsfx

Got it. I'll up it tomorrow. Thanks

Afrocious

Speaking of stationary bikes, what sort of HIIT routine you folks do on them if you use them?

I got back into HIIT briefly on a recumbent bike, but I imagine a stationary bike is better for you.

BumRush

Speaking of stationary bikes, what sort of HIIT routine you folks do on them if you use them?

I got back into HIIT briefly on a recumbent bike, but I imagine a stationary bike is better for you.

I do 3 tabatas a week (20 second all out sprint / 10 second cool down, repeat 8 times) and 2-3 days of 20 minutes steady state riding on the airdyne each week. The tabatas are incredible. The trick is you REALLY need to push yourself. It's not pedaling fast, it's pedaling like your life depends on it. Sometimes, I'm still breathing heavy an hour+ later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom