• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football 2014/15 |OT14| The one where Europa&Champions League are sensationally back

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Do you guys wish for Gaal to stay next season? I mean, on a theoretical level, ignoring club/EPL culture and all that and just looking for a more long term solution for the club.

And I mean, what's the point of having a soulless manager who can put up a soulless team if he can't deliver in spades. He's half decent for sure, and for the club's finances/mindshare he better qualify to UCL, but for next season United should definitely roll the dice again in hopes to get someone better, someone younger, someone less greasy, someone happier, someone who can bench RvP.

Wilbur

Banned
Do you guys wish for Gaal to stay next season? I mean, on a theoretical level, ignoring club/EPL culture and all that and just looking for a more long term solution for the club.

And I mean, what's the point of having a soulless manager who can put up a soulless team if he can't deliver in spades. He's half decent for sure, and for the club's finances/mindshare he better qualify to UCL, but for next season United should definitely roll the dice again in hopes to get someone better, someone younger, someone less greasy, someone happier, someone who can bench RvP.

No, if he gets CL then we absolutely should keep him. He would have done what was asked of him. Can't sack people for doing their bloody job innit.

No, if he gets CL then we absolutely should keep him. He would have done what was asked of him. Can't sack people for doing their bloody job innit.

He should keep his job regardless.

He isn't incompetent, like Moyes was. It would be crazy to sack another manager this season unless there is a complete meltdown and loss of control over the next couple of months.

LegoArmo

If United had just made Giggs manager, where would they be in the table?

Ferdinand would still be first choice centre back, we know that.

I continually get the impression that this season LvG is getting by through whatever pragmatic means possible.

I know that we've spent a lot but really what we've bought represents very expensive gaffer tape because at the moment the whole squad just doesn't have a good mesh of complimentary abilities.

The main thing we lack is pace going forward, more than anything. Yes we need a great CM to build up play in the middle but that'll fix nothing if we still have incredibly slow attackers, regardless of how seemingly smart their movement is.

Wilbur

Banned
Look, as ridiculous as it sounds with the players in our squad, this season is about getting back in the Champions League, by hook or by crook. If we win the FA Cup as well I'll be fucking delighted, but we have to take a leaf out of Wenger's book and go for the top four trophy this year.

You can look at our squad list and say we should be doing much better, but that's based on names as much as anything else. Yes, RVP and Falcao should be doing better, but it's pretty clear they're in decline.

The crime isn't that these players aren't playing well, the crime is that we've spent a lot of money and are still stuck with these players.

There's no more than four or five players that regularly start for us that I want to see in the team next season, and that makes it all the more confusing that we're actually doing well in terms of results.

Before the start of the season, if you had offered me third place and a FA Cup quarter final in February, I would have been well fucking up for it. We aren't playing well and long term that has to be sorted. But while we're getting results it seems a little silly to say LVG should be out.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Podolski :lol from a prince in Koln to a peasant in Inferior-Milan

"The way things are now, I'd have to return to London in the summer,” Podolski has reflected.

“They will discuss this in March or in April, since the season will end in May.

“In any case I never had a problem with [Arsenal Coach] Arsene Wenger, nor with the supporters.

“Many said that I'm a loser because I wasn't included in Inter's list [of eligible players] for the Europa League.

“But this was all arranged from the moment the contract was signed.

hqdefault.jpg

Look, as ridiculous as it sounds with the players in our squad, this season is about getting back in the Champions League, by hook or by crook. If we win the FA Cup as well I'll be fucking delighted, but we have to take a leaf out of Wenger's book and go for the top four trophy this year.

You can look at our squad list and say we should be doing much better, but that's based on names as much as anything else. Yes, RVP and Falcao should be doing better, but it's pretty clear they're in decline.

The crime isn't that these players aren't playing well, the crime is that we've spent a lot of money and are still stuck with these players.

There's no more than four or five players that regularly start for us that I want to see in the team next season, and that makes it all the more confusing that we're actually doing well in terms of results.

Before the start of the season, if you had offered me third place and a FA Cup quarter final in February, I would have been well fucking up for it. We aren't playing well and long term that has to be sorted. But while we're getting results it seems a little silly to say LVG should be out.

That's all true but the standard of play should be better. Whether we spent a penny in the summer or not - this kind of football is not acceptable.

Loosely related - last night was the first time all of our summer signings started.

Wilbur

Banned
He should keep his job regardless.

He isn't incompetent, like Moyes was. It would be crazy to sack another manager this season unless there is a complete meltdown and loss of control over the next couple of months.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you. If we finish seventh again from our current position he has to be held accountable, but I don't see that happening. I still have a lot of confidence in him that he'll get it right eventually given a full pre-season, more time to bring in his own players instead of Woodward's choices, and a cull of those who aren't good enough.

I continually get the impression that this season LvG is getting by through whatever pragmatic means possible.

I know that we've spent a lot but really what we've bought represents very expensive gaffer tape because at the moment the whole squad just doesn't have a good mesh of complimentary abilities.

The main thing we lack is pace going forward, more than anything. Yes we need a great CM to build up play in the middle but that'll fix nothing if we still have incredibly slow attackers, regardless of how seemingly smart their movement is.

Also agree. He obviously bums 4-3-3 but there's no pace in the side apart from Di Maria and the full backs.

Next year, given a few transfers, it could work. Someone like (a fit) Strootman alongside ADM and someone else (preferably Andrew xoxo), with Adnan, Rooney, Depay up top... It's far better balanced and far more threatening than we're getting now.

jts

...hate me...

I understand that primary objective, which is definitely vital.

But he's not United material in the long run imo. That's a bit more where I'm trying to get at. I don't like to see United settling for "good enough" and slowly fall into Arsenal's territory in people's minds.

I care.

Give Boas a chance. He's wonderful with a good budget. And beautiful to boot. That is United.

Wilbur

Banned
That's all true but the standard of play should be better. Whether we spent a penny in the summer or not - this kind of football is not acceptable.

Loosely related - last night was the first time all of our summer signings started.

That stat is mad.

Yeah, I do agree with you again. It does have to be better. It is a little galling to see Liverpool playing well and responding to Rodgers' tactics, but the squad is largely built up of players who fit that philosophy.

Ours isn't. Not that I have unlimited, deep abiding faith in LVG's style and how he wants us to play, but it's a fool's errand when you're asking the likes of Valencia, Jones and Evans to commit to a possession based, build out from the back approach. Part of this is his fault for picking them - as well as persisting with three hundred attacking players on the pitch at one time, leaving the team criminally lopsided - , but he's come to the club with a month to settle in, get used to surroundings and start imprinting his ways on a side. A side that features said brainless players.

I'm sure we all very much doubt a few of our transfers were his idea, and were more borne out of necessity than anything else. Whatever happens this season, I think we'll be much better next season. It feels like a long way away, but as long as we get the results I'm not unduly fussed how we're getting them this season. Fuck, it'd be even funnier to achieve everything playing such shit football.

GorillaJu

I don't really give a shit about United these days, but I can still recognize that they are playing bad, ugly football. I want them to lose but I want every big team to lose. Upsets are p nice.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

not sure I can even point the finger at your players anymore

Genghis Gaal is not getting the best outta them, he's forcing his system on them regardless

Your XI looks like an illogical mix of players mushed together into something thick, soft and pulpy

prison10.jpg

THAT is United

And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is LVGymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal once noble wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away..

Edit: oh nvm i see we're in agreement here

jts

...hate me...
You need someone to come in and do a second act of Jobs like cleanse and ask where the fuck is the sex.

United was always about sex.

There's no more sex.

Fellaini is not sex.

Boas is sex.

You need to desire Boas so bad that he will have the power to say to the Glazers no u fucks I will not play fucking safe top 4 football. I will play sex, for this is United.

Sex.

Bold One

Its quite obvious the bad start to the league, the injuries and results like the one at MK Dons and Leicester had a psychological effect not just on the team but on Gaal as well. As a result we have become risk averse and cautious to the point of being meek.

There will be another clear out in the summer, and re-enforcements will come no doubt, however my concern regardless of who we get is the cohesion which has been sorely lacking, every game looks like its the first time the team is playing together.

With a full summer to look back with the coaching staff, I think they sort it out and be better prepared, I just wish we would stop getting out pants pulled down in the transfer market. We need to start going to Chelsea's transfer seminars or something, Its embarrassing.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Parma assets seized

The chaos surrounding Parma continues, as reports emerge that bailiffs have seized three vans and a company car.

If player wages are not paid by today, the club will be served a formal notice by the playing staff, placing it into administration.

Vans :lol I'm in stitches

Along with (another) points deduction

Suen, Shanks...you'll finally be free from Parma FC, you don't have to suffer no more

Parma assets seized

Vans :lol I'm in stitches

Along with (another) points deduction

Suen, Shanks...you'll finally be free from Parma FC, you don't have to suffer no more

I like Parma. That said, it's mostly based on 20 year old memories of Football Italia on channel 4 with James Richardson.

EDIT: Didn't Parma once have Faustino Asprilla and Gianfranco Zola in their team at one point? Those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom