• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One 2023 |OT| Back to Black

Best Livery award goes to

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
I guess we know the exact point Perez realised Max took fastest lap.

simpsons-ralph-wiggum.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm trying to get into F1, but these first two races have been a bore. Was race #2 about as exciting as it gets? Red Bull just seems like they have the fastest cars and there's not going to be any drama or competition for 1st place as the season progresses.

What do fans of F1 get excited about in a season like this? Perez vs Max?

I'm trying to get into F1, but these first two races have been a bore. Was race #2 about as exciting as it gets? Red Bull just seems like they have the fastest cars and there's not going to be any drama or competition for 1st place as the season progresses.

There’s an entire field of cars. Some of us actually like the sport beyond just who’s #1

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Ffs the FIA has to destroy Nando's 100th podium celebrations as well, at least at the end he got the happy ending he deserved.

Boring race overall. So boring they probably gave Sargeant the most air time out of all drivers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There’s an entire field of cars. Some of us actually like the sport beyond just who’s #1

I guess so? It just feels like the sport is currently designed poorly. It's like watching a 40pt blowout NBA game and rooting for the backup PG to get his third assist before the game ends. It also feels like there was no drama anywhere on the track after the halfway point. I guess William's and HAAS were battling for 60 seconds to grab 0 points.

I give the 2023 F1 season a 62 Metascore. Let's hope the live updates turn the ship around.

PS: It's also crazy to see how it took them an hour to penalize Fernando Alonzo after he sprayed champagne celebrating on the podium. You never see that in the other mainstream sports.

PPS: Fernando got un penalized...wtf

Last edited:
FiA did the right thing and reinstated Alonso’s podium. Good on them.

Although I loved seeing that interview with him after wards… “I already celebrated, so what” lol

If you want "drama" just watch F1 drive to survive on Netflix friend, it's got all the drama you need which , IMO, it's the reason why the show has been so successful (there's 5 seasons already) 😁.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you want "drama" just watch F1 drive to survive on Netflix friend, it's got all the drama you need which , IMO, it's the reason why the show has been so successful (there's 5 seasons already) 😁.

I'm looking for race drama or on track drama. Drive to Survive is cotton candy TV.

lukilladog

I'm looking for race drama or on track drama. Drive to Survive is cotton candy TV.

You don't think the Magnussen pass on Yuki was dramatic?, or Alonso beating Ferrari and Mercedes on a "mere" Aston Martin?, Max biting the dust trying to catch Pérez?. Checo and Max were risking sooo much doing hot lap after hot lap, particulary on this circuit. Watch the onboards, that was electrifying, even though Max should have been held back by the team to secure the 1-2 like 20 laps earlier like they use to do with Checo. And there even was drama show, look at Max's father face (who hates checo and most people on the planet) when Checo was celebrating, or Max refusing to park his car on the number 2 on track, or sitting on Checo's winner chair before the podium ceremony, that was hilarious. Checo celebrating with his friends at Aston Martin was also pretty epic. Sadness?, look at Hamilton's face after the race, man he deserves better. Also Lecler's face when he lost the pole for 1 tenth was also like the definition of disappointment.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

the season just started and some tracks are worse that others. Australia is next and is always awful too.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You don't think the Magnussen pass on Yuki was dramatic?,
No. And neither did the TV production considering how they ignores Magnussen and Yuki for the majority of the race.

I suppose getting 1 pt for a driver is a big deal, but there's a reason why the best sports movies in history are all for the championship.
or Alonso beating Ferrari and Mercedes on a "mere" Aston Martin?,
Aston Martin doesn't look slow. I know they weren't expected to be this good but they're cars are every bit as good as Ferrari and Mercedes.
Max biting the dust trying to catch Pérez?
He started in 15p. Perez p1. If the race was 30 minutes longer, and there were no technical issues, he would have caught up.

. Checo and Max were risking sooo much doing hot lap after hot lap, particulary on this circuit.
Apparently not. The technical issues are mystery boxes the production team tries to hype up. Red Bulls engineers knew the risks were extremely small. TV announcers lie.
Watch the onboards, that was electrifying, even though Max should have been held back by the team to secure the 1-2 like 20 laps earlier like they use to do with Checo. And there even was drama show, look at Max's father face (who hates checo and most people on the planet) when Checo was celebrating, or Max refusing to park his car on the number 2 on track, or sitting on Checo's winner chair before the podium ceremony, that was hilarious.
All that stuff feels like Twitter drama to me.
Checo celebrating with his friends at Aston Martin was also pretty epic. Sadness?, look at Hamilton's face after the race, man he deserves better. Also Lecler's face when he lost the pole for 1 tenth was also like the definition of disappointment.

I don't know man. Most of your post was about post race gossip magazine level drama. The race itself felt way too spread out for anything exciting to happen.

After 2 races I'm starting to think that this isn't a sport. It's an advertisement for luxury companies. The field needs to be waaaaay more competitive than it currently is IMO.

Also, did the safety car screw over Ferrari? They pitted a few laps earlier and then the safety car came out and helped teams like Red Bull right? I'm not sure if I fully understand the random gift that is the safety car.

lukilladog

No. And neither did the TV production considering how they ignores Magnussen and Yuki for the majority of the race.

I suppose getting 1 pt for a driver is a big deal, but there's a reason why the best sports movies in history are all for the championship.

They made a video of that in youtube, so it seems they reconsidered. It could have been for zero points but Yuki's reaction tells you how much he wanted that... for me drama is about the emotions so I don't know what were you expecting.

Aston Martin doesn't look slow. I know they weren't expected to be this good but they're cars are every bit as good as Ferrari and Mercedes.

Ferrari is still faster and everybody wanted to see if Aston Martin could bring the speed to a different type of circuit, so it was awesome.

He started in 15p. Perez p1. If the race was 30 minutes longer, and there were no technical issues, he would have caught up.

Max made up 0.5 seconds in 20 laps and then lost another 1.5 by the end of the race. He was never catching Checo.

Apparently not. The technical issues are mystery boxes the production team tries to hype up. Red Bulls engineers knew the risks were extremely small. TV announcers lie.

All that stuff feels like Twitter drama to me.

This is the circuit with more turns in the championship, it has walls, and is considered the most dangerous circuit in the championship by people like Newey.

I don't know man. Most of your post was about post race gossip magazine level drama. The race itself felt way too spread out for anything exciting to happen.

Maybe because you were watching sky feed?. There was a hot lap pissing contest on the front and they tried to keep Checo on the shadows as they do since he got the RB seat. But the display of skills there was amazing.

After 2 races I'm starting to think that this isn't a sport. It's an advertisement for luxury companies. The field needs to be waaaaay more competitive than it currently is IMO.

I agree, RB better allows Checo to compete with Max or this wont be worth watching for most motorsport fans.

Also, did the safety car screw over Ferrari? They pitted a few laps earlier and then the safety car came out and helped teams like Red Bull right? I'm not sure if I fully understand the random gift that is the safety car.

Yeah, the f1 and their commisaries are bogus as hell, it was meant to move the pieces in front I think.

Raven117

You have yet to cross over into the knowledge that the midfield is way more entertaining. Once you get a sense of that...then the whole sport opens up to be much more exciting. There really are multiple "races" happenning during the Grand Prix.

If you are only concerned about 1 and 2...then this will be a boring season (like most in the last decade).

P.S. There will be no Checo v. Max debate this season. Sure, think about it now, but Max will dominate. That red bull car is a rocket (not unlike the Mercedes back a few years ago).. Seeing if Aston Martin can hang with the Mercedes and Ferrari (Ferrai is a wreck right now) for the second and third spot will be the drama of the season.

McLaren can wallow in the bottom of the paddock.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned

wro1eXq.png

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You have yet to cross over into the knowledge that the midfield is way more entertaining. Once you get a sense of that...then the whole sport opens up to be much more exciting. There really are multiple "races" happenning during the Grand Prix.

If you are only concerned about 1 and 2...then this will be a boring season (like most in the last decade).

P.S. There will be no Checo v. Max debate this season. Sure, think about it now, but Max will dominate. That red bull car is a rocket (not unlike the Mercedes back a few years ago).. Seeing if Aston Martin can hang with the Mercedes and Ferrari (Ferrai is a wreck right now) for the second and third spot will be the drama of the season.

McLaren can wallow in the bottom of the paddock.

The best sports movies are about the championships...not the mediocre teams/players.

The focus of the TV production is heavily skewed towards Red Bull, who already has 87 points to 2nd places 38 points.

I get being fascinated by .500 teams but that's for the hardcore fans. F1 is a bizarre design for people poking their head in and checking it out.

I'm committed to the rest of the season though. We'll see what I learn over the coming months.

Raven117

The best sports movies are about the championships...not the mediocre teams/players.

The focus of the TV production is heavily skewed towards Red Bull, who already has 87 points to 2nd places 38 points.

I get being fascinated by .500 teams but that's for the hardcore fans. F1 is a bizarre design for people poking their head in and checking it out.

I'm committed to the rest of the season though. We'll see what I learn over the coming months.
Yeah...well...movies... By this logic, you should only watch the top team in any sport ever....Or not watch any sport until the championship game....Or (which you likely do), watch a bunch of games for teams you like and root for them even if they may not be the best in the league.

I didn't feel that way watching the Saudi Race. I thought Sky did an okay job at covering the midfield (but laughing at Crofty and the bad coverage is part of the fun). And watching the Martin Brumble grid walk before a race (and the hilarity that ensues when he is in the U.S.).

F1 isn't that much of a bizarre design so much as it is understanding racing and the absolute clown show/circus that it is. To me, the approach to F1 (and racing) is much different than the way one watches something like the NFL. It really is a different mindset.

Do watch season 5 of Drive to Survive. This will catch you up on who the players are and how to quickly pick a few favorite teams or drivers. Yes, its "cotton candy" but it will put alot of what you are seeing on race day in context. And you will understand why when Yuki yelled at being passed right at the end for the one championship point, you will feel it (love or hate it); or how everyone loves Alonso being third; or why people are dunking on McLaren.

And for the memes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

First two races have been pretty shit this year, so not surprised you feel this way. Frankly, it isn't likely to get much better until we get back to Europe. I'm not even bothering to go to the Australian grand prix this year, as Max is going to dominate it probably. Red Bull definitely will.

Honestly, if you're not really into F1, you can probably skip until the European season starts, and some of the other teams begin to bring upgrades to try to actually challenge Adrian Newey.

Virex

Banned
Where were all these "F1 is boring", "there's no competition" etc. people in the Mercedes years?

DTS is the worse thing to have ever happened to F1. It brought "fans" into the sport that don't care about the actual cars or racing. They just want the drama. F1 was a mistake

MadPanda

Banned

Look, I've been following F1 since my childhood and Hakkinen/Coulthard VS Schumacher/Barrichelo races. F1 is very interesting when you have a level playing field. Two seasons ago was one of the best ever, full of drama. Last one was interesting halfway through, when Ferrari's unreliability cost them and us any chance of winning it. This one seems like it's going to be a snoozefest. Ferrari is still unreliable while others are fast enough to challenge Red Bull. Prior to the last two seasons we had 8 years of Mercedes dominance with occasional Ferrari being close, and prior to that were 4 years of Red Bull dominance.

All in all, I don't waste my time watching it when you have such a gulf among them. It's decided even before qualis. I suggest the same to everyone. Diehard fans will watch it and cheer for their team no matter what. Remember that 2026 we're getting new engines so everything changes. As it is right now, it seems like we'll have a few years of red bull dominance till 2026. I hope I'm wrong.

F1 is such a weird sport as your own ability is not a guarantee of success if you're stuck in a slow and uncompetitive car, like Lando, Russell, Leclerc are right now. FIA tries to spice things up but can't fundamentally do anything to prevent any team's dominance.

Part of what I love about it is the fact that it’s a constructors event, the engineering and science side is just as important as having a good driver.

Like any sport, you need to know the whole pack then you will get the thrill of what a safety car means to a race, how it can change the whole grid, pit stop failure, wrong compound tires for the last stint etc. If you just look at the top 3 places it's boring because they have been at the top for years. Mercedes was dominating for ages, look at them now. Last season, RB was also fast and first race both cars DNF, unexpected. Now we got Aston Martin who out of nowhere are at the top.

April 1st Australian GP

Would like to see Alonso on the podium again, 1st place would be insane lol
Also hope Mercedes can get their shit together and give Hamilton a chance to compete.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Look, I've been following F1 since my childhood and Hakkinen/Coulthard VS Schumacher/Barrichelo races. F1 is very interesting when you have a level playing field. Two seasons ago was one of the best ever, full of drama. Last one was interesting halfway through, when Ferrari's unreliability cost them and us any chance of winning it. This one seems like it's going to be a snoozefest. Ferrari is still unreliable while others are fast enough to challenge Red Bull. Prior to the last two seasons we had 8 years of Mercedes dominance with occasional Ferrari being close, and prior to that were 4 years of Red Bull dominance.

All in all, I don't waste my time watching it when you have such a gulf among them. It's decided even before qualis. I suggest the same to everyone. Diehard fans will watch it and cheer for their team no matter what. Remember that 2026 we're getting new engines so everything changes. As it is right now, it seems like we'll have a few years of red bull dominance till 2026. I hope I'm wrong.

It's been rare in F1 to ever have a season where one constructor does not have the best car. What makes that feel worse these days is that the cars are too damned reliable, thanks to cost caps and restrictions. Back in the day, you might have Prost or Schumacher in the best car, but the races still tended to have unpredictability in them, due to the F1 cars being on the edge of engineering at all times. Now they are safe, reliable and rather dull, by and large.

The greatest mistake F1 ever made was making the F1 cars cheaper, more climate friendly, and more advanced. That should have been done with every other aspect of the sport, and the F1 cars themselves should still be full-throated V12, normally aspirated monsters. But the corrupt fuckers who run the sport don't want their personal and business incomes to suffer, so we get shit house races at shit house tracks with shit house cars, while they still private jet their way around the world, taking kickbacks from terrorist states and car manufacturers.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
April 1st Australian GP

Would like to see Alonso on the podium again, 1st place would be insane lol
Also hope Mercedes can get their shit together and give Hamilton a chance to compete.

Spanish Grand prix, and probably not before. That'll be when Merc debut their own Red Bull copy... and get within two tenths.

Holy shit if true

F1 Rumour: Adrian Newey to leave Redbull for Mercedes​

https://www.si.com/fannation/racing...r-adrian-newey-to-leave-red-bull-for-mercedes

Edit.
More rumors:
https://amp.marca.com/en/f1/2023/03/28/642319d0268e3e29418b45c3.html

Redbull not happy with Checo, Lando to move.

Ok I know that this one seems like nothing but gossip, but it’s clear Jos (Max’s daddy) has huge influence at the team and doesn’t like Checo. I could see this happening. Would love to see Lando in a capabale car.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Complete shitshow with the red flags - the incidents weren't serious enough to warrant them and this isn't Monaco or some other proper street circuit. With Albon's crash it would probably take 3-4 laps to clean up and with Magnussen's they should've ended the race under SC. BUT that's not all. The race shouldn't have standing starts, but rolling ones instead. Everyone knows how chaotic can the start look like on this track and it seems to me the decisions were made to provide cheap entertainment (and unfortunately they've succeeded - ruined Alpine's race and almost ruined Aston's).

Last edited:
Was busy but man what a race!
Too many red flags tho.
Can’t believe Alonso’s car was OK after Sainz hit him. Happy to see him 3 podiums in a row.
Gasly was all kinds of vent out of shape after the race, watched it all live and saw him walk off during one of the interviews. Can’t blame him for being upset.

Raven117

Was busy but man what a race!
Too many red flags tho.
Can’t believe Alonso’s car was OK after Sainz hit him. Happy to see him 3 podiums in a row.
Gasly was all kinds of vent out of shape after the race, watched it all live and saw him walk off during one of the interviews. Can’t blame him for being upset.
He was having a pretty solid race....and if he got penalty points...he would have been disqualified from the next Grand Prix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom