• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One 2023 |OT| Back to Black

Best Livery award goes to

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

He was having a pretty solid race....and if he got penalty points...he would have been disqualified from the next Grand Prix.
He should've gotten at least 2 penalty points. Carlos got them. Seems to me the FIA is very afraid to hand out that race ban from the accumulated penalty points.

xMPmuE8.png

Raven117

He should've gotten at least 2 penalty points. Carlos got them. Seems to me the FIA is very afraid to hand out that race ban from the accumulated penalty points.
Probably right. But its all good. (They need to up the points anyway due to them having more races now).

Am happy Max won over Perez.

Mercedes and Ferrari both making me so sad, what happened to them? Ferrari struggling to fight a Hass…. Jfc

On some people booing from the crowds, Max:

“I think if I would be driving in the back nobody would do anything in terms of reaction,” Verstappen said. “It’s normal when you are winning and they don’t like who is winning. It’s something for me that is absolutely fine. As long as I stand on the top that is the most important (thing). I take the trophy home and they go back to their houses and they can have a nice evening.”

This is absolutely the best response. lol, what can they say to this? Love the attitude. He’s not my #1 favorite driver, and I still think AbuDabi was a robbery for Hamilton, but I love seeing super talented people do anything, so it’s always a joy to watch him drive. He’s exactly right too, people love to hate, fucking humans are such a miserable bunch. lol, have a nice evening 😂🤣😭😭😭

Raven117

On some people booing from the crowds, Max:

“I think if I would be driving in the back nobody would do anything in terms of reaction,” Verstappen said. “It’s normal when you are winning and they don’t like who is winning. It’s something for me that is absolutely fine. As long as I stand on the top that is the most important (thing). I take the trophy home and they go back to their houses and they can have a nice evening.”

This is absolutely the best response. lol, what can they say to this? Love the attitude. He’s not my #1 favorite driver, and I still think AbuDabi was a robbery for Hamilton, but I love seeing super talented people do anything, so it’s always a joy to watch him drive. He’s exactly right too, people love to hate, fucking humans are such a miserable bunch. lol, have a nice evening 😂🤣😭😭😭
This is like 80% right. I absolutely delight in other drivers I don't like not doing well either, but less opportunity to express my displeasure! (I know some folks take this seriously which is sad...I don't hate on any of them...in the history of F1, most of these dudes are actually pretty "good.")

I just like good racing.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
I have a question, i don't follow F1 as much but speaking about Max's dominance lately
how much of is it his car versus driving skills?

i have heard people say he is a great driver but in terms of pure driving skills he isn't as great as prime Lewis Hamilton, but his car makes up the difference

is that accurate?

Last edited:
I have a question, i don't follow F1 as much but speaking about Max's dominance lately

i have heard people say he is a great driver but in terms of pure driving skills he isn't as great as prime Lewis Hamilton, but his car makes up the difference

is that accurate?
There will always be a debate between how much work the car is doing and how much work the driver is doing. But what remains true is that a team has to have a good car AND a good driver to win consistently.
I’m a big Hamilton fan myself but it’s so hard to say who would win given equal machines. I personally would give the edge to Hamilton, but it’s a theoretical at the end of the day.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
There will always be a debate between how much work the car is doing and how much work the driver is doing. But what remains true is that a team has to have a good car AND a good driver to win consistently.
I’m a big Hamilton fan myself but it’s so hard to say who would win given equal machines. I personally would give the edge to Hamilton, but it’s a theoretical at the end of the day.
what things does Max do better than Lewis in terms of driving?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Lance Stroll is the only driver that seems to suck. All the other teammates generally finish near eachother but the F. Alanso - L. Stroll gap is always massive. His Dad bought his way on the team right?

Imagine where Aston would be if they had another good driver. Man the possibilities…

M Mister Apoc
Someone more knowledgeable than me could probably give you a better answer, but he’s just an overall great driver and he’s really good at taking care of his tires. There’s tons of videos about Max on YouTube as well.

All-time greats tend to have their own era of dominance and we're in the Verstappen era right now.

And frankly, with the amount of "GOAT" get thrown around, the word has lost it's meaning. F1 is a relative sport. It's very had to point to one single person as a GOAT when all the variables change every few years.

lukilladog

is that accurate?

I don't see much of a dominance really, first championship demonstrably and undeniably he doesn't deserve, second championship ferrari dropped the ball in evolutions, Max got freebies taken away from teammate (Jeddah, Spain, and Bakú were blatant), and when the teammate (Pérez) started to get close in points he was forced to run a superslow floor for several races (which Max tested only once and said was undrivable -Around Silverston I think-) with the ridiculous excuse of budget caps, up to a 15kg heavier car -in words of Marko-, several evolutions behind, using parts known by the team to be "done" -Canada's gearbox, again in words of Marko-,etc. And this year when Pérez finally gets a decent car, he has suspicious problems on his car at Australia (With RB changing a ton of parts so the press could not figure out what was wrong), and then gets jumped up by team strategists at Miami (which is a big no in motorsports -as the leading driver should always be put on the best strategy possible). Otherwise, Pérez would be leading this year with a certain gap.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Monaco again shows why Saturday is the best day of its weekend. Unmatched qualifying with more thrilling action than any race this season.

The race will blow though and be a parade.

Ya I’m not a big fan of Monaco, I think the track needs to be redesigned to accommodate the larger cars. Having a race where overtakes are near impossible isn’t very fun. It becomes a conga line, and only changes if there’s very bad strategy calls, pit stop issues, or a crash.
Debating on if I want to wake up at 6am to watch it, maybe just sleep in and catch the highlights later.

lukilladog

LMAO Perez. This is why you dont use strategy to snatch victories from your own drivers, now RB's chances to win Monaco went from 99% to 50%, flip of a coin.

Here's a comparison. These margins are incredible.

Very nice, I never actually watched any of these, but this was a great breakdown and shows just how insanely talented Max is.

Makes me think of when I run ghost laps in games, trying over and over and over to hug a wall, or hit an especially sharp apex just perfectly.. but I can just reset and do another lap, this was the real deal, in real life, putting everything on the line to secure P1. Just amazing.

Watching FP1 and 2 and seeing the Mercedes struggles after upgrades is just painful… maybe things will change after FP3 and Quali, but Jesus… seems like the upgrades are doing worse then the old zero pod design… what a fall from grace. I would LOVE to be proven wrong in FP3 and Quali, hopefully they can turn up the heat and do some magic.

Max looking to dominate the weekend, with Alonso right behind him. Still holding out for Alonso to get at least 1 first place finish. Redbull can’t be perfect every race, one little mistake anywhere and it could be Alonso’s race.

As usual, stroll needs to be replaced. Not sure how serious Lawrence is about being a championship team if he’s unwilling to boot his son off the team. Seems like he can’t have his cake and eat it too. Either become a serious championship contender or provide your son a team, doesn’t look like he can have both. Stroll just isn’t at that level.

Edit :
Mercedes improved in Quali which is nice,
Sad to see Alonso so far down, very surprised that stroll even made it to Q3, maybe he’s finally got a fire under his ass after the weeks of shit he’s taken from fans lol. Leclerc…. Very sad. Can’t believe some of these teams are losing out to the likes of Haas… insane.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That’s a much better race for Mercedes. The upgrades are clearly having a benefit, and the next package - including floor changes - will make them solid number 2 team, and maybe even challenge Max every now and again.

Very happy to to see Mercedes start to turn it around. Was really worried there for a moment during FP lol nice to see them finally get a handle on things.
Still a sec 20+ sec gap to Max, but him and his car are on another level.
Sad to see Alonso fall behind, still convinced the team would be better without Stroll tho. Would love to see Lando leave McLaren…

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Had to step away and back now i see the safety car is back. What happened?
There was rain on one side of the track so it was damp and there were some puddles, many were on slicks and stayed with the slicks when it happened.

From what I heard there are no "inters", only slicks (soft or mediums) and full wet tires.

I'm not 100% following it so I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom