• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 |OT| Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?

Schmick

Just tried some FH5 on my Android Phone. It works really well!

I'm connected via WIFI and have my Xbox connected via Bluetooth. Below is a link to some of the footage I recorded as I drove from my house to the race.

Forgive the poor video quality and driving.

Might be worth noting that I drive manual with clutch. I don't notice any major input lag. There were a few stutters but the game is totally playable from my experience.

I guess my only criticism of the whole experience was, when playing the game the playing screen was not centred on my phone screen hence why there is a wider black bar on the right.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Pretty early on if you keep placing 1st the game should recommend increasing the difficulty. I believe it starts you on Average. There’s 4-5 difficulty tiers above that. I’m not that good, so I’m still on Above Average.
Ah you’re right it was something similar on previous Forza, sounds like it’s just early impressions issues then 👍

nemiroff

Gold Member
Am i the only one bothered by the rewards constantly jumping up in the middle of the screen? I get they want to make you feel like you're earning, but damn it's annoying. We should have an option to move it to the side somewhere, so I can focus on driving.

Well, you can always turn it off in the HUD settings.

Keihart

Anyone playing on PC having crashes? i have constant crashes despite testing optimum settings, low and ultra. Video memory and load % never get to 100% with the framerate locked at 60...i have no idea what is going on, it just crashes when it feels like it.

Horizon feels like the same game over and over again. Maybe my eyes are just bad, but it doesn't look great either. Funky textures, bad animations on most things that aren't cars, the physics are bizarre, etc. Expectations and photo mode skewed my perception.

Still a fun ride. I can completely turn my brain off for this game and have a good time.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Horizon feels like the same game over and over again. Maybe my eyes are just bad, but it doesn't look great either. Funky textures, bad animations on most things that aren't cars, the physics are bizarre, etc.

Oh my goodness.. lol. Well for whatever it's worth; I for one support your right to free speech.

Anyone playing on PC having crashes? i have constant crashes despite testing optimum settings, low and ultra. Video memory and load % never get to 100% with the framerate locked at 60...i have no idea what is going on, it just crashes when it feels like it.

I have a 5950x and a 3080 (undervolted to the max). I've experienced three crashes (randomly, in-game) in the last couple of days. Since early release I had none until then. Game is maxed out running at 1440p @72fps limit and 60% GPU utilization. I don't run Discord (which I heard had issues?) in the background, but I do run a ton of apps and launchers.

I've only played 4 last year. And 5 does feel like a step up.

It sure does. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in the series and even I was kinda surprised to find that FH5 still feels like Christmas as a kid to me, the "just one more time"-factor is strong in this one.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I've only played 4 last year. And 5 does feel like a step up. Its largely the same but I feel its more fun. I also had fun online, which is rare for me in racing games bar GT Sport. It predicts crashes so it turns off collisions just in time. Was also lag free I must say, and I have my Xbox on wifi.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Yeah unable to play past the intro as well, my PC is WELL above recommend spec. Only thing to do is sit and wait for a fix I guess.

Crashes every time it loads into what I assume is going to be the character creator, just after the 4th car switch and you arrive at the festival.

Keihart

Yeah unable to play past the intro as well, my PC is WELL above recommend spec. Only thing to do is sit and wait for a fix I guess.

Crashes every time it loads into what I assume is going to be the character creator, just after the 4th car switch and you arrive at the festival.
got it running by closing EVERYTHING else on the PC, and running it as admin, even sticky notes and discord were making it crash, actual joke.
Gotta wait i guess, not like i'm losing money here tho, i payed 1 dollar for the game pass stuff.

Small indie devs, gotta be patient, just like with Riot Games.

Last edited:
Horizon feels like the same game over and over again. Maybe my eyes are just bad, but it doesn't look great either. Funky textures, bad animations on most things that aren't cars, the physics are bizarre, etc. Expectations and photo mode skewed my perception.

Still a fun ride. I can completely turn my brain off for this game and have a good time.

I'm hoping that they improve the in game races and feel but yes it's the same gameplay so far.

And yes I agree it's not a huge jump in graphics over 4, and I don't see why they can't do 4k/60fps on the series x.

Starfield

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
bok983J.jpg

Saw this screenshot that made me buy the game. Never played forza so here goes :messenger_sunglasses:

Oh my goodness.. lol. Well for whatever it's worth; I for one support your right to free speech.
Not trying to come across as negative. I enjoy these games a great deal. I think my expectations were unreasonably high when I zoom in on a piece of grass and it's not 3 dimensional lol. I've already settled in and am just enjoying the game.

First Forza game. The first couple of missions are not grabbing me. Maybe when I unlock more conventional races with opponents i'll get what the hype is about. Graphics are sweet. I also feel like I should get a good racing wheel, any recommendations on a good bang for you buck wheel? I hope MS add vr to this it would def get me more into it.

Last edited:

twilo99

Just tried some FH5 on my Android Phone. It works really well!

I'm connected via WIFI and have my Xbox connected via Bluetooth. Below is a link to some of the footage I recorded as I drove from my house to the race.

Forgive the poor video quality and driving.

Might be worth noting that I drive manual with clutch. I don't notice any major input lag. There were a few stutters but the game is totally playable from my experience.

I guess my only criticism of the whole experience was, when playing the game the playing screen was not centred on my phone screen hence why there is a wider black bar on the right.

Yes, it does indeed. I just tried on my laptop and its great.. very similar to FH4, which isn't surprising.

twilo99

Has anyone been able to play this on an iOS device via the cloud?

It seems to run fine from xbox.com , but I guess no touch controls support for xcloud just yet?

Manual clutch? What difficulty settings are you using?
Yes, I'm using a G920 with the manual shifter. Using Simulation steering and depending on the car I will leave traction control and stability off, or a mixture of them or both on. Especially in rain I find it very difficult. But is is super fun.

Fredrik

Smashing fast travel boards is oddly addicting. Just spent half an hour trying to smash a board on a roof top down at a mountainside. With no jump nearby I only found one way to do it, race up the other side of the mountain with a fast Lambo, probably hundreds of meters away, and jump from the top so I landed exactly on the roof. Needed perfect throttle and aiming. Fun! 😁

Catphish

Yes, I'm using a G920 with the manual shifter. Using Simulation steering and depending on the car I will leave traction control and stability off, or a mixture of them or both on. Especially in rain I find it very difficult. But is is super fun.
I really struggle with Simulation steering. Had to set it back to Standard. What turning radius are you using for the wheel? I have mine set to 360.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Have some mastery points laying around you don't know what to do with?

Buy the Willys Jeep for 40k credits invest 5 points to get a super spin and repeat (just remember to remove the Jeep from your garage between purchases)

This game has worst soundtrack ever, its 95% that fucking club music, where is hard rock, metal, hip hop, pop......
Not a big fan of these stations so mainly either have mine off

I really struggle with Simulation steering. Had to set it back to Standard. What turning radius are you using for the wheel? I have mine set to 360.
I'm on Series X and it doesn't have a steering radius setting unfortunately. I had it set at 540 on the PC app when I downloaded the updated firmware, but I don't think that carries over to console. I have my steering linearity at 52 or 53, seems to make it a bit tighter right off center. I have noticed if you change settings sometime the force feedback will just go dead and I have to go back to the home screen (not closing the game) and reopen the game and its back. I heard there is a fix coming later this week for that thankfully. What wheel do you have? I can message you my exact setting later on if you would like.

DaGwaphics

This game has worst soundtrack ever, its 95% that fucking club music, where is hard rock, metal, hip hop, pop......
You can change the channel on the radio.

Try the Block Party station. The game defaults to Pulse, which is just dancy pop music.

Last edited:
First Forza game. The first couple of missions are not grabbing me. Maybe when I unlock more conventional races with opponents i'll get what the hype is about. Graphics are sweet. I also feel like I should get a good racing wheel, any recommendations on a good bang for you buck wheel? I hope MS add vr to this it would def get me more into it.
I'm gonna tag-in on this one too. This is my first Forza Horizon game and it's just not grabbing me. It may have something to do with Dirt 5 taking up most of my racing game time. Horizon 5 looks and plays great but I'm not a fan of how hard it tries to be exciting. Not sure if that makes any sense. Also when I look at the world and its activities, I can't shake the feeling of this game being Assassins Creed but with cars.

Put those pitch forks down...

I'm gonna give it some more time.

Catphish

I'm on Series X and it doesn't have a steering radius setting unfortunately. I had it set at 540 on the PC app when I downloaded the updated firmware, but I don't think that carries over to console. I have my steering linearity at 52 or 53, seems to make it a bit tighter right off center. I have noticed if you change settings sometime the force feedback will just go dead and I have to go back to the home screen (not closing the game) and reopen the game and its back. I heard there is a fix coming later this week for that thankfully. What wheel do you have? I can message you my exact setting later on if you would like.
Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer.

Sure, I’d very much appreciate that. 👍

I'm gonna tag-in on this one too. This is my first Forza Horizon game and it's just not grabbing me. It may have something to do with Dirt 5 taking up most of my racing game time. Horizon 5 looks and plays great but I'm not a fan of how hard it tries to be exciting. Not sure if that makes any sense. Also when I look at the world and its activities, I can't shake the feeling of this game being Assassins Creed but with cars.

Put those pitch forks down...

I'm gonna give it some more time.
Yep, also the racing feels sluggish and drifting seems to be penalized. I thought climbing a mounting in a supercar was going to be more fun than it was. Cars feel sluggish. I'll give it another hour or 2

Gek54

Wish I could, but there's a known bug affecting Fanatec wheels. There are some workarounds, but I'm waiting for a patch and doing mostly offroad stuff since I prefer on-road racing with a wheel.

What is the bug and workaround?

I have a CSL DD on the way.

I have noticed that my Thrustmaster TX feels different/worse on all games on the Series X compared to on the One X.

GHG

Gold Member
What is the bug and workaround?

I have a CSL DD on the way.

I have noticed that my Thrustmaster TX feels different/worse on all games on the Series X compared to on the One X.

Don't mess around with the workarounds, wait for a patch.

Some people are breaking their wheels by trying some of the things people are suggesting online.

rofif

Banned
lol they/them and prosthethics. who cares. Why there is a guy to choose anyway. The amount of dlc and packs is a bit offputting too. But I play this on gamepass so I have no right to complain.
The casualness and inclusivity is annoying but the game looks great and plays great so far.
As usual, it's a bit too long in the tooth with festival crap and everyone constantly talking and showing you new menus.
But the races itself are fun.

Shame there is no DLSS. The aliasing kinda sucks. I play 4k extreme settings nd getting about 70fps so very nice

R6Rider

Gold Member
Gave it a shot on PC and to no surprise they went with the same "progression" system as 4 (and maybe 3, but I skipped that one). Game slaps with with 3 high tier cars right off the bat. I miss how the first Horizon was starting you off with a slow car and you worked your way up. I'm also going to assume there's no more specific requirement races like in the first one either.

Not a fan of this direction at all.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Gave it a shot on PC and to no surprise they went with the same "progression" system as 4 (and maybe 3, but I skipped that one). Game slaps with with 3 high tier cars right off the bat. I miss how the first Horizon was starting you off with a slow car and you worked your way up. I'm also going to assume there's no more specific requirement races like in the first one either.

Not a fan of this direction at all.

All I can say is that you skipped the best game in the series. Shame on you.

Top Bottom