• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 - Review thread

tommib

insane thing about Forza Horizon series is that it so far ahead of competition, that it is not even funny. I mean, if I compare FH to the games like Need for Speed Heat, The Crew 2 etc.
This series is on a league of its own. The scope, graphics, music, endless layers of options and all around fun factor has no match in the racing genre. I’ll never forget earlier this year trying Forza 4 for the first time on my series S on a Sunday afternoon just out of curiosity. By the end of the week I had 30+ hours logged in.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It’s not finished, it finishes as midnight tonight.

You don’t need a VPN, you literally just click the link, stay on the Icelandic store and click the blue button to purchase.

Ensure you’re logged in, 4229kr is £24.
whats this in USD? GOogle says .49...that cant be right and I am clearly an idiot.

reksveks

These scores are great and (with all my STEAM credit) I feel like I've justified to my inner accountant getting the premium edition. They are also kind of hilarious as the running thread seems to be "It's more Forza. . ." and none of the scores have that "iteration tax" that journos like to toss to other series.

It like Rachet seems to have the next-gen graphics bump imo.

Banjo64

cumsessed
whats this in USD? GOogle says .49...that cant be right and I am clearly an idiot.
If you Google 4229 Icelandic Krona to USD it says it’s $32. However, I’m not sure if you can do it from the US, I just know that UK based people definitely can.

Last edited:
Another excellent entry in a super solid series. Playground have mastered the craft, and they remain a great player in an otherwise dying sub-genre (arcade racers). 👏👏👏👏👏

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It like Rachet seems to have the next-gen graphics bump imo.

I meant more in the gameplay. I enjoyed FH4 but dropped it when I learned FH5 was coming out and the reviews make it seem like this is more of the same (which isn't a problem if you like FH and I did, despite being shit at it).

reksveks

I meant more in the gameplay. I enjoyed FH4 but dropped it when I learned FH5 was coming out and the reviews make it seem like this is more of the same (which isn't a problem if you like FH and I did, despite being shit at it).
I just mention Ratchet cause I think there was similar comments from critics about it being more of the same gameplay including the portals.

Catphish

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Leroy Patterson

Ehh, glad it's being received well, but I can't find much excitement in reviews since I generally distrust them. Based on Playground's track record with the Forza Horizon series, and what I saw thus far, I expected a great game.

Billbofet

This series is on a league of its own. The scope, graphics, music, endless layers of options and all around fun factor has no match in the racing genre. I’ll never forget earlier this year trying Forza 4 for the first time on my series S on a Sunday afternoon just out of curiosity. By the end of the week I had 30+ hours logged in.
Forza Horizon is in such a league of its own, I almost consider it another genre that nobody else would even attempt to enter.

Last edited:
It’s a very big change in terms of gamplay (Racing to ARPG) and graphics (Hyper Realism to Fantasy based) but that makes it even more exciting tbh. I’m pretty sure they will deliver big time.

Guerilla Games went from making 4 games in a row that are all FPS (Killzone) to a 3rd person action RPG new IP Horizon and it was successful.

I have full confidence that Playground Games will do well with Fable reboot.

buenoblue

Banned
It's turn 10 who develops the guts of the engine. Playground is just better at polishing and presentation. Playground is are masters and artists while turn 10 is really great technical studio hence the sterile feel of forza main series.

The real difference is that turn 10 target 60fps even on base Xbox one from 2013, but playground target 30fps on the base Xbox one.

This limits the detail and scope of turn 10 games whereas playground have double the render time to add more detail and geometry, then they use the power of the next gen machines to boost to 60fps.

Can't wait till base Xbox one and PS4 are dropped from release plans.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's turn 10 who develops the guts of the engine. Playground is just better at polishing and presentation. Playground is are masters and artists while turn 10 is really great technical studio hence the sterile feel of forza main series.

The ForzaTech suite of engine/tools, yes, and infamously to be used in the new Fable reboot game :messenger_relieved:

TBF Forza does have the benefit of being a 1P title, and having not just the funds but also technical resources available which come along with that. 3P titles usually don't have super-deep access to certain platform resources unless they've got some exclusivity or cross-promotional deal going on with the platform holder, I would imagine.

That said, it's also pretty clear Playground are just an exceptionally talented development studio and at least know the racing genre like few others. It will be very interesting to see them venture out into a new style with Fable.

Looks like the Dark Souls of racing games, day one.
Wat? xD how?

Its high time critics start giving overall Goty to Racing games as well

They should, but they probably won't. Racing games to GOTY awards are basically the equivalent of animated films to the Oscars; industry bias so they get relegated to their own category even if they're among the best things released that year regardless of style or genre.

I will be happily surprised if FH5 gets some GOTY nominations though, a win or two especially.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Wonder if Microsoft will have the highest average metacritic score by the end of the year.
It sure looks like it, I don't recall them putting out any low scoring dogs. I anticipate a LOT of awards for XGS games this season and pretty much a sweep of all publisher of the year awards unless Halo totally bombs which seems highly unlikely.

Great scores congratz to Playground 1 very well deserved.

Fredrik

Amazing scores!

Playground Games must be the most consistently great developer MS owns.
FH5 - 91
FH4 - 92
FH3 - 91
FH2 - 86
FH1 - 85

Fredrik

That 85 for H1 is ridiculous, game deserves way better than that. 5<<1<<3 I'm my opinion. (So far)
I could never get into FH1 because of the framerate, I dabbled a little bit with FH2 but Forza Horizon as an IP became awesome when FH3 came to PC and I could play at 60+ fps on three screens. It’s still my fav. (haven’t played FH5)

I think 1 is still such a hidden gem even at 85 review score. Lot of people wrote it off because it seemed like a cheap spin off. I think its the best one behind 3.

Best Soundtrack by far.

It's crazy to think that the first Horizon game, and the studio's first game, went from concept to release in only two years. The game was very polished and packed solid with content. The map was incredibly memorable too. I'd love to see a Colorado remaster with all the off-track sections opened up to rip through. It still blows my mind that Microsoft didn't buy them until the 4th game was announced.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's crazy to think that the first Horizon game, and the studio's first game, went from concept to release in only two years. The game was very polished and packed solid with content. The map was incredibly memorable too. I'd love to see a Colorado remaster with all the off-track sections opened up to rip through. It still blows my mind that Microsoft didn't buy them until the 4th game was announced.
I think Forza Tech being used helped a lot and helped them basically hit the asphalt running. You could tell where the cuts were made but it was such a fun and refreshing game. I think it had the best multi too of the series. It was a lot simpler.

Top Bottom