• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport images from 2021 Xbox One playtest

The user u/zorpalweapon over r/GamingLeaksAndRumors shared 2 pics showing the game runing at a Xbox One.
Reddit users verified that the pics are legit.

AcmizEf.jpg

uRXeHCa_d.webp

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Makes no sense to do this, since on Xbox One you have Xcloud with XSX blades, which would boost the number of subscribers to GamePass.

Leyasu

Banned
It was confirmed current gen only no?

Fake edit. Wasn’t it announced at last years E3 as current gen only!?

We will find out soon enough

Stuart360

Damn Spinal, you must of thought Christmas had come early when you saw these pics in the other thread lol.

Still the game is supposed to be on a new engine, so i'm expecting a decent jump on XSX/XSS from the previous games. Its also about what their targets are for this, if they were making a next gen game targeting native 4k/60/120 on XSX, XB1 would still be able to produce a 1080p/30 or 720p/60 version of the game.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
anyway plytest doesnt need to have pretty graphics. when game releases will be one year since those pics. plenty of time to bump the graphics

Barlow

Why people wonder?
They even announced it that there will be a Xbox One version for the playtest.
I think there was even a thread about it here?

Last edited:

Vognerful

This is really interesting. Are they looking into scenarios if they can release it on xone as well?

I don't mind personally! I know people will be pissed and it will give ammo to some console wars.

My issue with whole subject is that we put judgement on current gen games as "objectively better". Like, if FHW released as is without PS4 port, would people honestly take it as the best game design over or something? Are people honest when themselves when. They judge these games?

I always maintained that what mak3s a game "next gen" is if the developers decided to make it so. I don't mean that they design it as such, but to only publish it xsx or PS5. I have seen many cases where we would gush over games that are only announced as PS5 only or something. And then when we find out that it is also announced for PS4, holy shit as if it was the worst game ever made (hyperbolic but you got my point).

My point is also similar to games like rift apart or returnal, Sony could have made them release on PS4 , if they bothered to do so.

Vognerful

Damn Spinal, you must of thought Christmas had come early when you saw these pics in the other thread lol.

Still the game is supposed to be on a new engine, so i'm expecting a decent jump on XSX/XSS from the previous games. Its also about what their targets are for this, if they were making a next gen game targeting native 4k/60/120 on XSX, XB1 would still be able to produce a 1080p/30 or 720p/60 version of the game.
Probably all of GT7 hardcore stans (ethomaz) right now

Seinfeld Reaction GIF

tommib

This is really interesting. Are they looking into scenarios if they can release it on xone as well?

I don't mind personally! I know people will be pissed and it will give ammo to some console wars.

My issue with whole subject is that we put judgement on current gen games as "objectively better". Like, if FHW released as is without PS4 port, would people honestly take it as the best game design over or something? Are people honest when themselves when. They judge these games?

I always maintained that what mak3s a game "next gen" is if the developers decided to make it so. I don't mean that they design it as such, but to only publish it xsx or PS5. I have seen many cases where we would gush over games that are only announced as PS5 only or something. And then when we find out that it is also announced for PS4, holy shit as if it was the worst game ever made (hyperbolic but you got my point).

My point is also similar to games like rift apart or returnal, Sony could have made them release on PS4 , if they bothered to do so.
Returnal would be a 30 fps game on PS4 which just doesn't make any sense for that gameplay-centric experience. It's one of the fastest action shooters I've played in my whole life. Housemarque always goes for 60 fps games. The fluid simulations and particle orgy would melt the PS4 without high compromises. You would be playing at 720p/30fps. Also, being a rogue-like with constant deaths, say goodbye to the instant loadings which would make the experience very frustrating. Could it be done? Sure. Would it suck big time? Yes.

It's one of the games that I do believe would be highly compromised if it was cross-gen and would offer a poor experience on last-gen.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
someone in the race face off thread already said is coming to xbox one, i thought everyone knew that

No one knew it because it was only announced for new gen, the official website also still lists for Series and PC only.

The screens are also from last year's july, just a few weeks after E3. So we can't really say it is an indicative one way or the other.

We'll find out at the showcase probably.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'd MUCH rather play the Xbox One (X) native version than stream a Series X version.
Sure but I would much rather so they would publish just next-gen update and those who are stuck on old HW....tough luck. Or rather could play it by stream. Obviously I am with you with what you've said.

Vognerful

Returnal would be a 30 fps game on PS4 which just doesn't make any sense for that gameplay-centric experience. It's one of the fastest action shooters I've played in my whole life. Housemarque always goes for 60 fps games. The fluid simulations and particle orgy would melt the PS4 without high compromises. You would be playing at 720p/30fps. Also, being a rogue-like with constant deaths, say goodbye to the instant loadings which would make the experience very frustrating. Could it be done? Sure. Would it suck big time? Yes.

It's one of the games that I do believe would be highly compromised if it was cross-gen and would offer a poor experience on last-gen.
All what you describes as downgrades for a PS4 game, I believe there already games with such performance on PS4. Why would this be any different? Is it because we saw what a PS5 version looks like and we can't anymore comprehend how we could stomach such downgrade in PS4?

In fact I would have expected you to say rift apart has way less chance to have PS4 port than returnal.

But we are not discussing the main point of my comment.

93xfan

Banned
Cross gen is fine- if they treat it like some sports games. Give it some enhanced FM7 physics for last gen.

Make the next gen version incompatible for MP due to much better physics

reksveks

I would be interested to see what they do for the updated physic models for FM8 on xbox one if it does come out on xbox one.

If you want to probably get slightly into the weeds; https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...oducing-the-5-point-tyre-model-for-acc.59307/

I am not expert in sim racing so think some person would be better placed to answer why they care.

It's to do with how often the game engine is refreshing the tire + tarmac interaction and how detailed it is modelling where the tyre is actually in contact with the tarmac/ground/grass/curbs.
- If you have a single point in the centre of the wheel, then if the edge of your tyre goes onto the grass, the game doesn't really acknowledges that. By having more points, the game engine is able to acknowledge and feed that back to you as a driver through lessened grip/noise.
- The 360 refresh rate is quite simple, the game is calculating what your tyres are or aren't contacting with every 0.00278 seconds instead of 0.0166 seconds (using 50x and the fact that FM7 only have it previously was 60 per seconds).

Just to add my comments from the other thread here. It would be great if anyone knew what ACC was doing on old gen and current gen console. I saw it had recently got updated to 400hz but not sure if it was all platforms.

Pantz

I thought it was already public knowledge that the playtest version was on Xbox One.

Not sure if it will be cross-gen or not but this leak doesn't really confirm or change anything.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
No one knew it because it was only announced for new gen, the official website also still lists for Series and PC only.

The screens are also from last year's july, just a few weeks after E3. So we can't really say it is an indicative one way or the other.

We'll find out at the showcase probably.
oh!

Banned
Improved physics, which FM7 had major issues with. Every PC hardcore sim has bigger CPU requirements than usual simcade games.

For consoles just look at ACC on last gen.

maybe they'll do another Forza Horizon 2, where last gen is based on the old engine 🤷

CamHostage

It was confirmed current gen only no?

...Wasn’t it announced at last years E3 as current gen only!?

Forza Motorsport unveiling was actually two years ago as part of the Xbox Games Showcase, not last year or technically not E3.

This was back in that awkward pokerface period where PlayStation was still claiming it wasn't cross-gen because it believed in generations, and Xbox was trying to recover its messaging after proudly announcing it was cross-gen because its scaling approach was so solid that every release could be the best the platform could offer. (This was back when it had up and later removed a lot of "Coming Soon for Xbox Series X & Xbox One" messaging from like Everwild and Avowed, not specifying if those labels were correct for the projects at the time or a mistake; the company was also still foggy about how Flight Simulator was going to be released.)

It feels like since then, the cross-gen battleground has been less bloody, as cross-gen scaling has proven itself (the two Horizons, FH 5 and Horizon FW, are two of the best-looking and performing games on any platform) and the next-gen phalanx is holding for UE5 and some other technologies like Primitive Shaders/Mesh Shaders to be worked out for practical purposes. Of course, everybody still craves that "real next-gen" experience to blow them away, but the reality of why that didn't for the most part happen in 2020 or 2021 (depending on how you look at like Ratchet or Flight Sim) and still is mostly a promise of things to come in 2022, hopefully people are getting that?

...So, aside from the LOLs of the situation flipping again and the backlash-against-the-backlash of GT7 going cross-platform after its initial "Only on PlayStation 5" designation, I think Forza will be fine either way.

They'll be able to do great stuff with it on Xbox Series, and there's still room to take most games down to Xbox One (particularly if they port it and maybe outsource it, like FH3, rather than having the main team trying to make two games in one with a single engine.) I'd love for the Forza 8 engine to be capable of things only possible on Xbox Series X/S and high-spec PCs... but then I look around at what's going on in game development and don't really see what that would be right now.

Last edited:
Forza Motorsport unveiling was actually two years ago as part of the Xbox Games Showcase, not last year or technically not E3.

This was back in that awkward pokerface period where PlayStation was still claiming it wasn't cross-gen because it believed in generations, and Xbox was trying to recover its messaging after proudly announcing it was cross-gen because its scaling approach was so solid that every release could be the best the platform could offer. (This was back when it had up and later removed a lot of "Coming Soon for Xbox Series X & Xbox One" messaging from like Everwild and Avowed, not specifying if those labels were correct for the projects at the time or a mistake; the company was also still foggy about how Flight Simulator was going to be released.)

It feels like since then, the cross-gen battleground has been less bloody, as cross-gen scaling has proven itself (the two Horizons, FH 5 and Horizon FW, are two of the best-looking and performing games on any platform) and the next-gen phalanx is holding for UE5 and some other technologies like Primitive Shaders/Mesh Shaders to be worked out for practical purposes. Of course, everybody still craves that "real next-gen" experience to blow them away, but the reality of why that didn't for the most part happen in 2020 or 2021 (depending on how you look at like Ratchet or Flight Sim) and still is mostly a promise of things to come in 2022, hopefully people are getting that?

...So, aside from the LOLs of the situation flipping again and the backlash-against-the-backlash of GT7 going cross-platform after its initial "Only on PlayStation 5" designation, I think Forza will be fine either way.

They'll be able to do great stuff with it on Xbox Series, and there's still room to take most games down to Xbox One (particularly if they port it and maybe outsource it, like FH3, rather than having the main team trying to make two games in one with a single engine.) I'd love for the Forza 8 engine to be capable of things only possible on Xbox Series X/S and high-spec PCs... but then I look around at what's going on in game development and don't really see what that would be right now.

Well written.

But i want all of you to keep the same energy.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Nothing to do with "cross gen battleground". Forza Horizon 5 runs on the old engine and is an update to Forza Horizon 4 tech. Forza Motorport is built on the new engine which is built with Series S|X in mind.
Their first internal playtest was on 6 December, 2019 before the Series S|X dev kits came into existence(which was around March 2020). Apart from that the game has been announced only for Series S|X and PC(unlike Forza Horizon 5).
The new Forza Motorsport, currently in early development, is a reimagining of the series. We are taking what has made Forza Motorsport great over the past 15 years and pairing it with new game concepts and new technologies. With the new Forza Motorsport, ray tracing is coming to ForzaTech, you will see a dynamic world in 4K, 60fps, that is connected and dynamic – from surfaces of cars reflecting off each other, to brilliant red paint bouncing off intensely detailed track surfaces, and the interplay of light and shadow throughout the world.
Q: When will Forza Motorsport be released?
A: Currently in early development, Forza Motorsport will run at 4K, 60fps with scenes connected and dynamic. We can’t wait to share more details.

Q: What platforms will I be able to play Forza Motorsport on?
A: Forza Motorsport will be available on Xbox Series X, Windows 10 PC and on Xbox Game Pass.

Last edited:

GHG

There's also the possibility that they could be doing playtests using the last gen engine to test out things like the online system and physics engine.

Apparently you care since you are in here.

Theres plenty current gen, why don't you just mind your own business instead of trashing something that doesn't cater to you.

calm down chill out GIF by Bounce

Top Bottom