• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fossils of Ostrich-like dinosaur suggests feathers evolved before flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
56322fe71c00006f00570e8c.jpeg

"We've known that birds and theropod dinosaurs had a common ancestor for at least 15 years now," Dr. Alexander Wolfe, an adjunct professor of paleobiology at the University of Alberta and a co-author of the research, told The Huffington Post in an email. "But we didn't expect a dinosaur that clearly did not fly, Ornithomimus, to have the same basic feather architecture, structure, and composition as birds. So the similarities appear even greater with this specimen, and imply that essentially modern bird feathers evolved before flight."

The researchers analyzed the feathers under a scanning electron microscope and took a close look at the keratin structure of the plumage. They noticed that the pattern appeared remarkably similar to that of an ostrich, and that the feathers didn't cover the Ornithomimus beyond its mid-femur.

The researchers concluded that the feathers may have played a similar role in the dinosaur as feathers do today in ostriches, which is to regulate body temperature.

"What is remarkable is that the ostrich possesses the same plumage patterns, and using that plumage pattern, they can control their body temperature very efficiently," Aaron van der Reest, an undergraduate paleontology student at the University of Alberta and lead author of the research, told HuffPost.

Yo so Jurassic Park turkey kid was right.

Source -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fossilized-feathers-dinosaur-ostrich_56322eace4b0c66bae5b33d9

Amalthea

Banned
When you think about it evolving something as specific as feathers just to fly seem almost like a form of creationism where the evolutionary process would have pre-planned the evolution of flight.

I think a secondary adaptation of feathers from insulation is much more likely. I wouldn't be surprised if especially wing feathers evolved first trough mating selection for having been means to insulate the animals nests and thus ensure a perfext temerature for the eggs.

I think what they are saying is that this is a flightless dinosaur with completely flight capable feather structure, and that it wasn't expected fully developed feathers existed before the right combination of factors lead to them enabling flight. I think :p

Reading comprehension! Thank you for explaining the article to the posters who only read the thread title. :)

RagnarokX

I think what they are saying is that this is a flightless dinosaur with completely flight capable feather structure, and that it wasn't expected fully developed feathers existed before the right combination of factors lead to them enabling flight. I think :p

Yeah, but it's still silly because feathers evolved over a really long time. Thinking that the evolved for the purpose of flight suggests that the dinosaurs decided "We want to fly, better grow feathers!" When it makes muuuch more sense that flight was a coincidental advantage of feathers evolving for more terrestrial purposes. Evolution is way too slow for feathers to have evolved for a behavior that the dinos were incapable of doing before evolving the traits necessary to do the behavior.

Yeah, but it's still silly because feathers evolved over a really long time. Thinking that the evolved for the purpose of flight suggests that the dinosaurs decided "We want to fly, better grow feathers!" When it makes muuuch more sense that flight was a coincidental advantage of feathers evolving for more terrestrial purposes. Evolution is way too slow for feathers to have evolved for a behavior that the dinos were incapable of doing before evolving the traits necessary to do the behavior.

I'm not getting that from the article at all though. My fault if I phrased something oddly in my response.

It's just that modern bird feathers and ancient dinosaur feathers are extremely similar and offered an advantage completely unrelated to flight, yet didn't have to change almost at all for a completely different use when other factors came into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom