• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday Box Office Estimates: AvP 16m/Princess Diaries 2 7.8m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevelyon

1) Alien vs. Predator - $16,700,000
2) The Princess Diaries 2 - $7,850,000
3) Collateral - $4,661,000
4) Yu-Gi-Oh! THE MOVIE - $4,350,000
5) The Bourne Supremacy - $2,500,000
6) The Village - $2,273,000
7 The Manchurian Candidate - $1,694,000
8) Little Black Book - $1,253,000
9) I, Robot - $1,130,000
10) Spider-Man 2 - $1,010,000

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

I don't know which is worse: the fact that Shrek 2 will be the #1 movie of 2004 and will surpass ET on the all-time list, or the fact that I contributed my $7.50 to its box office haul.

Memles

HOLY FUCK...Yu-Gi-Oh will make over $10 Million. I am disgusted.

...HOLY FUCK...Alien Vs. Predator will make over $45 Million. I am disgusted.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Spike Spiegel said:
I don't know which is worse: the fact that Shrek 2 will be the #1 movie of 2004 and will surpass ET on the all-time list, or the fact that I contributed my $7.50 to its box office haul.

Well, first, I liked Shrek 2. It's a fun, harmless movie with appeal to a very wide audience, plus it's very short, and was released in more theaters than any movie before it, ever. So it's not all that surprising that it's made a huge amount of money. It's still the best family oriented movie of the year.

Second, Shrek 2 is surpassing ET, but not on the list that's adjusted for inflation. On THAT list, ET is at number 4, but Shrek 2 is number 29 with a little over half of ET's domestic box office take.

Memles

Trevelyon said:
Yeh, by the end of this weekend the Yi-Gi-Oh! Movie will probably match or surpass Spirited Away's total US gross. :(

...it's like rape, in movie form, that is. Good god, a commercial is doing better business than an animation classic.

I'd figure that Yu-Gi-Oh has a far wider release, though. Not many theaters here played Spirited Away, and if they did, it was only a few weeks around Oscar time.

Memles

Shinobi said:
No Thunderbirds in the top ten eh? Very surprising.

I think it dropped to about 500 theatres, so it's screwed either way. Might not even break $5 Million, I'm guessing.

While Yu-Gi-Oh may make more money, where the fuck is its Oscar? Point, Miyazaki-san.

FoneBone

I remind you people that AVP doing well means that there's actually a good chance of Alien 5 and Predator 3 from decent directors. So calm down a little.

Memles

FoneBone said:
No. Shrek 2 wasn't bad, but Harry Potter shat all over it.

Agreed...I liked Shrek 2, but it was too one note. It was all about gags, not about characters or plot. It was less of a movie and more of a laugh fest, whereas Potter worked as a film, first and foremost.

And, according to Metacritic, Azkaban, Spider-Man 2 and Kill Bill Vol. 2 are all tied for highest rated movies of the year, all with 80% average.

Just for fun.......

11 NAPOLEON DYNAMITE
$540,000
$14,664,000 / 64

12 HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE
$433,000
$14,849,000 / 15

13 GARDEN STATE

$385,000
$1,638,000 / 17

14 THE NOTEBOOK

$372,000
$73,911,000 / 50

15 FAHRENHEIT 9/11

$296,000
$114,772,000 / 52

16 CATWOMAN

$263,000
$37,574,000 / 22

17 A CINDERELLA STORY

$262,000
$48,771,000 / 29

18 OPEN WATER
$230,000

border

Another 50-60% dropoff for The Village. Looks like the backlash is certifiable ;)
Memles said:
And, according to Metacritic, Azkaban, Spider-Man 2 and Kill Bill Vol. 2 are all tied for highest rated movies of the year, all with 80% average.
Those movies aren't even in the Top 5 highest rated films. To my delight, Before Sunset is the best reviewed film of 2004 (scored 88 on Metacritic, 95% on Rotten Tomatoes)...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It sickens me to see such a blatantly awful film do so well.

*sigh*

I think I'll go see Garden State tomorrow.

Napoloen Dynamite has done pretty damn well considering how low budget it was. And everyone should go see Garden state if its paying near them. I still have to wait another week, though.

Memles

border said:
Those movies aren't even in the Top 5 highest rated films. To my delight, Before Sunset is the best reviewed film of 2004 (scored 88 on Metacritic, 95% on Rotten Tomatoes)...

Fine...Wide Release films. You got me.

I didn't realize this, but none of the Alien movies made a huge amount of money. Look at this:

1 Aliens Fox $85,160,248 1,454 $10,052,042 1,437 7/18/86
2 Alien Fox $78,944,891 757 $3,527,881 91 5/25/79
3 Alien 3 Fox $55,473,545 2,227 $19,449,867 2,227 5/22/92
4 Alien Resurrection Fox $47,795,658 2,449 $16,474,092 2,415 11/26/97

Not surprisingly, the Predator series made even less:

1 Predator Fox $59,735,548 1,636 $12,031,638 1,623 6/12/87
2 Predator 2 Fox $30,669,413 1,978 $8,784,943 1,950 11/21/90

cvxfreak

You people suck, the Yu-Gi-Oh Movie wasn't that bad for an American-made, never-to-be-released-in-Japan, actually-talks-about-dying-like-the-Japanese-anime-does anime movie. Seriously, it's not terrible.

Memles

CVXFREAK said:
You people suck, the Yu-Gi-Oh Movie wasn't that bad for an American-made, never-to-be-released-in-Japan, actually-talks-about-dying-like-the-Japanese-anime-does anime movie. Seriously, it's not terrible.

It's a COMMERCIAL...that is the problem. I can understand that it's likely not the worst film in history or anything...but nothing changes the fact that its only purpose is to sell more Cards/Merchandise.

Edit: I take back that Worst Film in History.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/yugioh/

14 out of 100, on average...now that's bad. Most critically panned wide release of the year.

Teddman

Go AvP, GO!

It actually stands a good chance to become the highest-grossing movie in either the Aliens or Predator series.

FoneBone

Teddman said:
It actually stands a good chance to become the highest-grossing movie in either the Aliens or Predator series.
Not having seen it yet (I'll see it tomorrow), I still have to say that that's just wrong. Still, if AVP's relative success can revive both franchises, it's worth it.

Memles

FoneBone said:
Not having seen it yet (I'll see it tomorrow), I still have to say that that's just wrong. Still, if AVP's relative success can revive both franchises, it's worth it.

I don't see it happening, personally...if anything, it might lead them to believe that they can continue shoving out crap and it will make them millions, rather than realizing that people enjoy seeing both in action.

The studios are dunces like that sometimes. Case in Point: ABC and The Mole (Okay, it's off, but still). They don't get big ratings for normal Mole (Due to a crappy time slot) so they put celebrities in a better time slot, it does better (Because of the time slot) but instead just put in celebrities every time.

Assholes.

Teddman

FoneBone said:
Still, if AVP's relative success can revive both franchises, it's worth it.
Exactly. If you are a fan of either the Alien or Predator series, you want this movie to perform well so that it leads to future installments.

Memles said:
I don't see it happening, personally...if anything, it might lead them to believe that they can continue shoving out crap and it will make them millions, rather than realizing that people enjoy seeing both in action.
No, AvP bombing is bad for both series, any way you slice it. It's been 7 and 14 years since we've had a movie in either franchise, respectively. And has been noted in this thread, even the previous installments weren't huge box office hits.

You want to see another Alien or Predator film period, you want this movie to do well. I'm sure studios have already taken note of the Paul Anderson backlash and I doubt he'll be in charge next time... Dude couldn't even deliver the film in time for the premiere, for one thing.

cvxfreak

Memles said:
It's a COMMERCIAL...that is the problem. I can understand that it's likely not the worst film in history or anything...but nothing changes the fact that its only purpose is to sell more Cards/Merchandise.

Edit: I take back that Worst Film in History.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/yugioh/

14 out of 100, on average...now that's bad. Most critically panned wide release of the year.

It's purpose is to make the franchise itself more popular, simple as that. But it does so in ways that aren't exactly cheap. What these reviewers don't probably know is that Yu-Gi-Oh the show is based off of a Japanese manga and isn't just "cards/merchandise" with its share of spinoffs.

Quite frankly, it's a given non-Yu-Gi-Oh fans will hate this movie because 1) they won't know what's going on since they don't watch the TV show and 2) because it's just not their thing.

People who don't have a decent following of the TV show shouldn't be allowed to review this game because their ignorance will obviously fall into play. Most Yu-Gi-Oh fans, at least the ones on the net who're older, would give this movie a 2.5/5 which isn't a great score either, but are rated by anime standards. No one should enter the movie expecting something deep or enchanting; that's not what it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be an expansion of the current TV show and nothing more, nothing less.

EDIT: I'm not saying dismiss their opinions either, but take them with a grain of salt.

Shinobi

Teddman said:
Go AvP, GO!

lol.gif
That would rock...

Dan

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I didn't realize this, but none of the Alien movies made a huge amount of money. Look at this:

1 Aliens Fox $85,160,248 1,454 $10,052,042 1,437 7/18/86
2 Alien Fox $78,944,891 757 $3,527,881 91 5/25/79
3 Alien 3 Fox $55,473,545 2,227 $19,449,867 2,227 5/22/92
4 Alien Resurrection Fox $47,795,658 2,449 $16,474,092 2,415 11/26/97

Not surprisingly, the Predator series made even less:

1 Predator Fox $59,735,548 1,636 $12,031,638 1,623 6/12/87
2 Predator 2 Fox $30,669,413 1,978 $8,784,943 1,950 11/21/90
Umm.... all of these are unadjusted grosses though. You can't possibly get any form of a conclusion by comparing grosses that are 15-25 years old to a new film.

I don't have a premiere pass to BOM, but using inflation rates gathered by what's offered for free on their Adjusted list, I get the following estimates:

1. Alien - $207,145,994 (using 1978 data)
2. Aliens - $140,939,059
3. Alien 3 - $82,181,925
4. Alien Resurrection - $64,019,447

1. Predator - $98,861,524 (using 1986 data)
2. Predator 2 - $44,635,307

Anyone that thinks Alien vs Predator has in any way, shape or form a chance at being the most successful film using those monsters is just dead freakin' wrong.

Spike Spiegel said:

IAWTP

I'm not quite sure what the hype behind 'Shrek 2' is. It lacks an interesting story, any character development, shoddy dialogue, lame humor (which was either distasteful, some lame rip into a disney franchise, or a parody of today's current 'pop iconic' imagery such as LOTR) coupled with liscened rock/pop music.

There is NO great storytelling to be found in the film.

If Shrek 2 is the epitome of what animation, as well as a children movie, should be...then I truley hope animation dies. I can't bear the idea of having such garbage become the standard for which animation, as well as story presentation, is to be measured/based upon.

Memles

Scalemail Ted said:
I'm not quite sure what the hype behind 'Shrek 2' is. It lacks an interesting story, any character development, shoddy dialogue, lame humor (which was either distasteful, some lame rip into a disney franchise, or a parody of today's current 'pop iconic' imagery such as LOTR) coupled with liscened rock/pop music.

There is NO great storytelling to be found in the film.

If Shrek 2 is the epitome of what animation, as well as a children movie, should be...then I truley hope animation dies. I can't bear the idea of having such garbage become the standard for which animation, as well as story presentation, is to be measured/based upon.

Taken as a series of gags and jokes, the movie is entertaining...the Ghostbusters and Cops ripoffs actually came off funny, and the Bob Barker line is pure brilliance...but as an actual film it falters. It has no story, no characters...Shrek at least feigned being a buddy picture, and then an "Odd Trio" picture followed by a Romantic Comedy, but this one just kind of floated in obscurity for far too long.

I've said it before...when Shrek 3 rolls around, it could have easily have been Shrek 2, if not for the introduction of new characters, because Shrek, Fiona and Donkey grew not a single bit in the second film; a true travesty that these characters couldn't actually be developed.

Dan

Yeah, Shrek 2 sucked. It's an insulting movie with an utterly deplorable moral. Check this out. So Shrek 2 ends with Fiona asking that they return to their ogre appearances because she fell in love with Shrek when he was an ogre. Ok, so the first moral is that 'appearances matter'. Secondly, if you'll all remember the first film, Shrek fell in love with Fiona in her human appearance, and didn't see her ogre look until after they were married, and never raised a complaint about the situation. So now you have the moral as 'appearances matter to women'. The sequel never once showed any intelligence on Fiona's part. She flitted around, had mood swings, and didn't really show any vocal disgust at they way 'Shrek' (aka Prince Charming) was acting all sleazy with her. Nope, according to the story it was only his looks that bothered her. This leaves you with the message that 'appearances are all that matter to women'. How lovely. There certainly wasn't any 'love conquers all' stuff going on here for kids to get. Nope, in fact, Fiona actively supports the exact opposite stance.

What a filthy series.

MASB

After doing so well in the last Box Office Derby (ranked 70 out of 500something), I'll probably do bad this weekend. I had no idea AVP would make that kind of money. The commercials for it looked dreadful.

border

Dan said:
The sequel never once showed any intelligence on Fiona's part. She flitted around, had mood swings, and didn't really show any vocal disgust at they way 'Shrek' (aka Prince Charming) was acting all sleazy with her.
Man, you and I must have seen a different version of Shrek 2 or something. What I took away was that Fiona was very much bothered by the way FakeShrek acted, and chalked up his uncharacteristic cockiness to the fact that he was suddenly very attractive. When she chooses that they both retain their ogre facades, it is in part because she is worried about how good looks can corrupt. I certainly don't think that the moral is promoting superficiality in any particular way, and is more or less a comment on how society's beauty-obsession can/may turn good-hearted people into narcissists. Fiona ultimately seeks safety from this phenomenon by choosing an ugly exterior for her and her husband. If anything, the moral is about trying to carve out your own happy niche and not falling prey to unrealistic standards.

I should probably note that I thought Shrek 1 was absolutely terrible, and Shrek 2 was mediocre at best. It's got a lot of problems and a lot of lameness, but I don't think it's really a bad message for kids or anything.

Remember though, Aliens was the most sucessful R rated movie ever when it was released in 1986. R Rated movies only began raking in the money in the late 80's through to the mid 90's. Since then PG-13 has been pulling in the bucks.

border

Either AVP makes a bunch of money and Hollywood continues to turn out shitty PG-13 drek from hack directors, or AVP fails and Hollywood abandons both franchises.

Whoever wins.......we lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom