• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday Box Office Estimates: Crap movie has crap opening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope AVP breaks even after all this. It doesn't deserve to sink but it doesn't deserve to make a profit. There is no way in hell Exorcist will ever make its money back being made twice and all.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
SKluck said:
10) Garden State - $923,000

:( I thought it was getting a wider release this week.
It did, but only to a total of 652 theaters. That's a third less than The Manchurian Candidate, which has the second least number of screens in the top ten. It also has the third highest average among the top 10. That's not too shabby at all.

Saturnman

Banned
The blockbusters are coming back next week:

p7087845.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Truelize said:
What is Quentin's involvement with this film? In the preview I saw it had his name in it.

Producer I believe. Basically Miramax had the rights, he asked them to release the movie, they agreed as long as they could whore his name out in all the previews.

aparisi2274

Comfort_Eagle said:
If Garden State is playing in your town and you dont go see it then you really suck. A fucking awesome movie.

I am going tomorrow to see it. I cant wait. Everytime I see that commerical, make me want to go right then and there to see it. I really hope he gets some kind of Oscar nom for this movie.

Dan

The Oscars need to be changed so that a film can be awarded for its use of non-original songs. There's an award for best original song and best score, but if the movie makes heavy use of other sourced music, it's screwed. Personally, I think a lot of the best music work being done in films lately hasn't had much to do with original score work at all. The likes of Wes Anderson's films, Garden State, even Collateral have all made great use of songs, but no one really cares even though it's still a difficult and important craft to work image and song together so well. The Academy Awards such anyway though, so oh well.

Mashing

I have to disagree... I don't like licensed music in movies. Orignal scores are almost alwasy better. I guess I say taht becuase I grew up watching all the Disney classics that had beautiful original music.

Plus, I like orchestrated music MUCH more than anything else.

Guzim

I love having both original and licensed music in movies.

L'Arena in Kill Bill is one of the best examples of using licensed music.

EDIT: In fact, I love how all music in Tarantino movies fits perfectly.

border

Garden State is averaging $1400 per screen, which is as good as any other mainstream movie in its second week. Given that it is rated R and only appeals to the teens-twenties crowd, I don't think you can expect it to be a blockbuster.

If the 2.5 million budget estimate is right, then the movie will be a success for pretty much everyone involved. It will have made double its budget by the end of the weekend....

Dan

border said:
If the 2.5 million budget estimate is right, then the movie will be a success for pretty much everyone involved. It will have made double its budget by the end of the weekend....
It cost $2.5 million to make, but Miramax and Fox Searchlight bought it for $5 million. Braff and his millionaire producer/investor have been fine since Sundance. Still, the studios will certainly be making their money back and more, either in the theaters or with the DVDs.

border

Well, then I guess I'm not too sure if it will be a success for the studio (in theatrical release). They probably need to make about 10 million to get their money back. After international releases and DVD sales, they will definitely be in the black though.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Warm Machine said:
I hope AVP breaks even after all this. It doesn't deserve to sink but it doesn't deserve to make a profit. There is no way in hell Exorcist will ever make its money back being made twice and all.

AvP will break even before the DVD sales hit... so in the end it'll probably turn a profit.

Memles

Disappointing that Open Water was not able to break out as an Indie in wide release, but with all of the major media coverage going to "OMG, Exorcist Movie" and "It has Seth Green and Shaggy and Guys in their Underwear!", Open Water just didn't get any mainstream attention because it was reviewed pretty well weeks ago. Any buzz has been ongoing for weeks, and it simply was not able to break out.

Dan

DarienA said:
AvP will break even before the DVD sales hit... so in the end it'll probably turn a profit.
How do you figure? The production and marketing costs total approximately $95 million, and studios generally only receive 55% of the gross. It's going to have to light some fires in foreign markets, although admittedly those markets have for some bizarre reason really loved the shitty Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. I don't think AVP breaking even in theaters is even remotely a sure thing. In the end? Yes, but not necessarily without the DVD sales.

Teddman

Dan said:
How do you figure? The production and marketing costs total approximately $95 million, and studios generally only receive 55% of the gross.
The 55% take of the profit isn't really accurate. In the first week of a film's run, the studio usually gets 80% of the take. The longer a film stays in the theaters, the lower the studio's percentage, but then that percentage is for less money too.

Overall studios tend to make closer to 70% of the actual box office, especially summer movies, which often don't stay at the top longer than a month. The 55% figure is more accurate for overseas box office.

Counting that and the huge profit margins on DVD's, AvP is almost sure to post a tidy profit.

I had to go see AvP on a date and it was horrid little movie. Paul Anderson needs to do humanity a favor and not accept any more offers to direct.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Killthee said:
Producer I believe. Basically Miramax had the rights, he asked them to release the movie, they agreed as long as they could whore his name out in all the previews.

whats horrible about that is that in the tv commercials they dont even mention the real directors name.. so many people think that Quentin is the director... it really bothers me fir some reason.

Celicar

Banned
What a horrible weekend. Guess the summer movies are done with. Now we're left with crap.

Except Open Water was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom