• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday Box Office Estimates: AvP 16m/Princess Diaries 2 7.8m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddman

border said:
Either AVP makes a bunch of money and Hollywood continues to turn out shitty PG-13 drek from hack directors, or AVP fails and Hollywood abandons both franchises.

Whoever wins.......we lose.
Hahah BEST POST :)

Shinobi

border said:
Either AVP makes a bunch of money and Hollywood continues to turn out shitty PG-13 drek from hack directors, or AVP fails and Hollywood abandons both franchises.

Whoever wins.......we lose.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As far as I'm concerned, if they never make another movie with Aliens or Predators, we win. They should have stopped these franchises long ago. Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are awful and Predator 2 wasn't that hot. AVP looks like a shitfest.

I'd much rather see these franchises not tarnished any further. We've been losing with these franchises for over 15 years now. It's about time we cut those losses and respected the originals.

FoneBone

I have no idea what you're smoking, but crappy sequels don't make a franchise irredeemable... especially when both Cameron and Scott are interested in making Alien 5.

Dan

Not really. I'll eat a shoe if either Ridley Scott or James Cameron is ever involved in the franchise again. They both say that they're interested in all kinds of projects. Scott is booked through 2007 or so and Cameron has at least one huge project on tap along with all kinds of others that he's done various levels of development on that may or may not ever be made. And considering nothing worthwhile has been done in the Alien franchise since 1986, I simply have no faith that anything will be done that rivals either Alien or Aliens. I don't see Fox giving a new talented director the freedom to create a great R-rated vision with the series and I don't see Scott or Cameron returning to it when they've already done it and have lots of other projects in mind. Rather than see piss-poor attempts by hacks or see watered down shitcan films geared towards teens that will see anything, I'd prefer nothing. I'd prefer those funds to go towards other projects, even if they turn out just as badly. I just don't care to see the legacies of two classics turned into shit.

From what I've heard the problem with doing another Alien film is that there are too many people with their hand in the pie. Apparantly the tension between the producers/studio and the director (it was Fincher right) on Aliens 3 got really ugly with Weaver kinda stuck in the middle.

I don't think it's impossible. I mean look at Batman. The studios realised they were fucking up the franchise and seem to have allowed a more focused vision, with the results pending. But I think there would have to be a major change in the way they go about things from Aliens3/Resurrection (with Ressurection I don't think the tensions were as bad but apparantly it still wasn't great).

FoneBone

Dan said:
Not really. I'll eat a shoe if either Ridley Scott or James Cameron is ever involved in the franchise again. They both say that they're interested in all kinds of projects. Scott is booked through 2007 or so and Cameron has at least one huge project on tap along with all kinds of others that he's done various levels of development on that may or may not ever be made. And considering nothing worthwhile has been done in the Alien franchise since 1986, I simply have no faith that anything will be done that rivals either Alien or Aliens. I don't see Fox giving a new talented director the freedom to create a great R-rated vision with the series and I don't see Scott or Cameron returning to it when they've already done it and have lots of other projects in mind. Rather than see piss-poor attempts by hacks or see watered down shitcan films geared towards teens that will see anything, I'd prefer nothing. I'd prefer those funds to go towards other projects, even if they turn out just as badly. I just don't care to see the legacies of two classics turned into shit.
Eh, I can't blame you -- I just prefer to be more optimistic about it. At the very least, I hope Paul Anderson doesn't touch either franchise ever again.

Dan

Die Squirrel Die said:
I don't think it's impossible. I mean look at Batman. The studios realised they were fucking up the franchise and seem to have allowed a more focused vision, with the results pending.
Yeah, but the first Batman flick made a good twice as much as Alien did. The Batman franchise also comes with way, way more licensing opportunities and all kinds of various cash flows. Alien, done right, really isn't going to provide a massive toy deal and related video games would be difficult. Batman however provides a huge cash influx from non-film sources, and WB knows that very well. Warner Bros has far more to gain by taking Batman seriously and making a good film than Fox would have doing the same with Alien. The risk is probably more than Fox would be willing to tackle, especially when they can pump out shitty movies on the relative cheap end and make some profit.

I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see Fox putting the money in and getting real talent for a new Alien, or suddenly conjuring up unknown and talented people that could make the film good and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom