• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full backwards compatibility may be a possibility on PS5 due to the filing of new Patents by Mark Cerny

kingfey

Banned
PS3 isnt compatible with ps4. While ps4 is compatible with ps5. Unless mark Cerny does some voodoo, no way they can have BC for the ps3.

Tschumi

If this really happens I'm gonna buy a second PS5 when it's finally easy to get at RRP just to pat them on the back.

PS3 isnt compatible with ps4. While ps4 is compatible with ps5. Unless mark Cerny does some voodoo, no way they can have BC for the ps3.
i assume it would be software emulation? what do the patents say?

Reactions: TLZ

kingfey

Banned
If this really happens I'm gonna buy a second PS5 when it's finally easy to get at RRP just to pat them on the back.

i assume it would be software emulation? what do the patents say?
They might be going for this https://rpcs3.net/

That is the only way, to bypass the craziness of the ps3 cell system.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The question is will they let it be native BC where digital and discs you already own work, or just an internal solution for sony, like they did with there PS2 emulator on PS4?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Like almost all patents here posted as "new patents", this is not new.

It's an update to an old one, that pre-dates PS4 Pro... it's almost certainly just the PS4 BC on PS5, which isn't all that dissimilar to how PS4 games not coded for PS4 Pro worked when you turned off boost mode.

There is zero indication this has anything to do with anything pre-PS4, which would have to involve emulation. These are patents for HARDWARE BC.

People really just need to give up on the idea of PS1-3 BC on PS5. Sony did emulation for some PS2 games on PS4 to sell some games and it seemed to go nowhere.. they just.. aren't interested it seems, as there isn't a good business case for it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

The question is will they let it be native BC where digital and discs you already own work, or just an internal solution for sony, like they did with there PS2 emulator on PS5?
my dream would be, first and foremost, for all the titles i own digitally for PS3 showing up in my library on ps5. MGS 4, GT 6, Red Dead Redemption, etc etc etc.

Then a xbox-style store page for ps3/ps2/ps1 titles. Though tbh I wouldn't buy many of them, most of the PS2 games I really liked have been remastered since.

It's annoying that you can't get the MGS2/3 HD collection for ps but you can get it for xbox.

Last edited:
If by voodoo you mean to write "software emulation" then yes. He could pull it off. PS4 hardware couldn't probably do that successfully but the PS5 could. It's already possible on weaker hardware than the PS5 and was made by people with no access to development tools from Sony.
The Bloomberg article mentions the backward compatibility with PSOne, PS2 and PS3 as a possibility for the most expensive tier of PlayStation Plus in the future.

kingfey

Banned
If by voodoo you mean to write "software emulation" then yes. He could pull it off. PS4 hardware couldn't probably do that successfully but the PS5 could. It's already possible on weaker hardware than the PS5 and was made by people with no access to development tools from Sony.
The Bloomberg article mentions the backward compatibility with PSOne, PS2 and PS3 as a possibility for the most expensive tier of PlayStation Plus in the future.
This is what I mean by Voodoo is the cell system.
"The reason why you cannot play PS3 games on PS4 is because the PS3 was built using the Cell CPU architecture which, when taken in tandem with a raft of other custom components, meant that the PS4 could not play PS3 games straight out of the box."

Then you need to deal with this.
Full disk backwards compatibility is impossible. The PS5 and also the PS4 don't have a laser that can read CDs.

This is what I mean by Voodoo is the cell system.
"The reason why you cannot play PS3 games on PS4 is because the PS3 was built using the Cell CPU architecture which, when taken in tandem with a raft of other custom components, meant that the PS4 could not play PS3 games straight out of the box."

Then you need to deal with this.
That's about the PS4 and I agree. Still doesn't mean the PS5 can't handle it. PC have PS3 emulators for years.
About the last part...if it's software emulation from using psnow only... problem solved. Everything will be digital.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That's about the PS4 and I agree. Still doesn't mean the PS5 can't handle it. PC have PS3 emulators for years.
About the last part...if it's software emulation from using psnow only... problem solved. Everything will be digital.
aside of disc only games. yeah, psnow can run it, if they make the software.

Dr.Morris79

This is why emulation is king. Imagine having to wait for these dickheads if you wanted to play PS1 games on consoles that could play them fives times over to begin with :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We'd all be dead before they'd even shat out a quater of the library.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Only PSOne is CDs. PS2 is DVD and PS3 was blu ray already. Those could be possible but they wouldn't allow that I fear.
If they allow it, they will need to face the license issues. one of the reason, why MS stopped their BC program.

Its much better, they do it, through the psnow, with emulator, which can allow these games to be downloaded. Win win for everyone.

yurinka

This 2016/2017 pretty likely was refering to the PS4 BC available on PS5. Or maybe even the PSP emulator they did use for PSP remasters released on PS4.

Nop. Only starting with the PS2 for DVDs. But I guess this would be for psnow only tbh
In fact, some PS2 games did use CD instead of DVD. But yes, you're right.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Rayderism

Thought I read somewhere a few years back that hackers determined the PS4 DOES have the ability to read CD's (the necessary laser is there), it was just never enabled in firmware. Was that just BS?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Unpopular opinion, but even full BC isn't that valuable to the majority of gamers -- except for booting an old game for a few minutes every now and then.

We all have limited time for gaming. With so many new games releasing every month, who will play older games weeks after weeks. BC is loved by a very small majority of hardcore gamers and forum dwellers, but that's about it. And I'm not sure if significant resources should be spent on this -- especially if it comes at a cost of something more forward-looking.

Having said that, game preservation is important and I'll applaud every company who makes efforts on this front, as long as that efforts don't come at the cost of forward-looking tech.

Knightime_X

I'll believe it when I see it.
Sony always talks BC ps1-3 but never delivers.
If ps now is the best they can do then LMFAO.

Meanwhile, i'll continue to use me DuckStation, PCSX2, PPSSPP, and RPCS3.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Thought I read somewhere a few years back that hackers determined the PS4 DOES have the ability to read CD's (the necessary laser is there), it was just never enabled in firmware. Was that just BS?
I don't see how the hardware could stop it from reading CDs. Why would a smaller laser reader stop it from reading larger pits and lands? It's nonsense. If PS4 and PS5 can't read CDs, it's only because SONY doesn't want them to.

Kagey K

Banned
Unpopular opinion, but even full BC isn't that valuable to the majority of gamers -- except for booting an old game for a few minutes every now and then.

We all have limited time for gaming. With so many new games releasing every month, who will play older games weeks after weeks. BC is loved by a very small majority of hardcore gamers and forum dwellers, but that's about it. And I'm not sure if significant resources should be spent on this -- especially if it comes at a cost of something more forward-looking.

Having said that, game preservation is important and I'll applaud every company who makes efforts on this front, as long as that efforts don't come at the cost of forward-looking tech.
There are plenty of times durinng the year with no interesting releases.

There plenty of people who bought plenty of games they never finished but always wanted to go back to.

Why hinder this because it's not your preference?

This is some Twitter Blue Hair shit, cater to me, fuck them.

Last edited:

Duchess

I think for a lot of us, the dream would be to take our old game discs and pop them to the PS5 to play.

Something tells me this won't be the case, at all, and it'll likely be digital downloads, meaning we'll need to buy all our games again (from a select catalogue, due to licensing, and other legal wranglings).

Kagey K

Banned
I think for a lot of us, the dream would be to take our old game discs and pop them to the PS5 to play.

Something tells me this won't be the case, at all, and it'll likely be digital downloads, meaning we'll need to buy all our games again (from a select catalogue, due to licensing, and other legal wranglings).
It probably won't even be that good.

It's likely what they have now on offer and nothing more.

We will see if they prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom