• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 experiencing massive layoffs

Thabass

giphy.gif

Fattious Floyd

Neo Member
Too little, too late. The damage has already been done and they're not going to recover from it. She should have been fired the day after her rant and the video taken down from their

Too little, too late. The damage has already been done and they're not going to recover from it. She should have been fired the day after her rant and the video taken down from their channel.
I remember the good old days when G4 just tried to make us laugh and get excited for upcoming video games. Ah those were the days eh?

So they got rid of the racist (Black Hokage) and the dumb cunt (Frosk). Just get rid of Adam and focus on what made G4 great (hyping games, movies, tech, shows) and we may have something. But considering most shows/movies are absolute trash these days with the same mental retardation as Frosk/Sess, I don’t think that is even possible.

Thaedolus

AJUMP23

Doesn’t make my house payment. Just give me the nred and let me fix up my resume. For full disclosure this was after the meeting and I was walking down the hall and they were talking about how hard it is to tell people these things. That was when I smarted off.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In the end I suppose she wins in the short term - they had to buy out her contract so she gets a nice long paid vacation. She'll likely be accepted back in the eSports commentary scene she came from considering how gen z likes to embrace these abrasive types.

She never uttered in public or tweeted any words of encouragement or solidarity for those coworkers who were laid off, so there may have been some friction behind the scenes with her. A few notable producers and writers left G4 in July and August - could be those were the ones who supported her and allowed her to go on her bizarre rant in the first place?

Never expected them to fire her, I expected the whole thing to go kaput before that.

I mean think of how significant this is, could this be signaling a massive change in video game culture?

G4 is an operation funded by Comcast. Business is business, and she isn't a big enough name to garner widespread sympathy, nor is she influential enough to crybully Comcast into keeping her.

As for a change in culture - all such sub cultures (such as gaming) have ebbs and flows, but I think what you're referring to has to do with those currently making games, and not those who play them. We may never again get AAA games as fearless in their humor and messaging as GTA for example. I mean look at Saints Row. In a single generation it went from a vulgarity and obscenity toilet-humor simulator, to a just barely edgy gen z vehicle (going from the hour-or-so worth of gameplay I watched).

Last edited:

Humdinger

Hah, I'm surprised they let her go (companies virtue signal by retaining the "oppressed"), but I'm glad. She was obnoxious. A little schadenfraude for the morning. I'll have to catch some Youtube commentary about it. Should be entertaining.

G4 never had a chance. The only reason it succeeded, way back when, was because it was the only alternative. You want to watch a show about gaming? G4 was all there was. You had no choice.

Now, of course, there are thousands of Youtubers doing what G4 did -- doing it much better, putting out content for every possible gamer interest. You can't compete with that by having 200 salaries, plus benefits and overhead. All they had going for them was nostalgia, and they squandered that, too.

Last edited:
G4TV failed/is failing because they forgot their core audience first. It's ok to want to expand that audience, as they should, but you don't do a reboot and succeed while totally alienating your original supporters.

As others have said, there is way too many other players now and lots more variety. So they needed to step it up and not dull it up. I'd argue that if they had hosts and skits like back in the glory days now, they would have had a chance to succeed. I know I'd be tuning in.

Mabdia

And... nothing that has value has been lost.

Can we do the same with gamespot, kotaku and a lot of others that are destroying the game market?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hah, I'm surprised they let her go (companies virtue signal by retaining the "oppressed"), but I'm glad. She was obnoxious. A little schadenfraude for the morning. I'll have to catch some Youtube commentary about it. Should be entertaining.

G4 never had a chance. The only reason it succeeded, way back when, was because it was the only alternative. You want to watch a show about gaming? G4 was all there was. You had no choice.

Now, of course, there are thousands of Youtubers doing what G4 did -- doing it much better, putting out content for every possible gamer interest. You can't compete with that by having 200 salaries, plus benefits and overhead. All they had going for them was nostalgia, and they squandered that, too.
This is also why G4 succeeded
hot dog GIF

Top Bottom