• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Fantasy Football league is up! Sign up in here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Meier said:
WTF! There cant be a GAF FFL without me in it. I demand a new league. Demand it!

Yeah! Let's make our own league. With blackjack. And hookers! On second thought, forget the league.

Fifty

I'm down for a pay league at ESPN.
:D I like to hear that. I've already paid for my leagues (3) at ESPN...and while I know that people here don't like to pay money for fantasy stuff, it really is worth it. Maybe not if you're not very much into it, but I'd like so much to get 8-10 people in for one. Still....we only have 1 person interested besides myself, so it ain't gonna happen......But, there's a long time to go before the season starts and people can change their minds, or new people can step up.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Personally I only like paying for a fantasy league when there's actually a payout for the winner. Paying for just the stat tracking and league manager seems awfully pointless.

effzee

how about we the outcasts from this league make our own?

and dont make it 20 teams. thats way too much.

wtf? you can't have an official GAF fantasy league when the defending champ isn't involved! make a new league with more spots!

p.s. by defending champ i mean myself... what a glorious superbowl victory it was, as i rode the wings of Kbar to victory

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
DM clearly wanted to keep the best talent out so he posted this when he knew that nobody challenging was signed on. Yeah, that's the ticket!

for shame, dm, for shame...

i can see it now...

"and with the #1 pick, DMczaf chooses.... kevan barlow, san francisco 49ers!"

"with the #2 pick, DMczaf chooses.... Tim Rattay, san francisco 49ers!"

"with the #3 pick, DMczaf chooses.... Brandon Lloyd, san francisco 49ers!"

way to go DM, i see your plan is working out quite nicely!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf? you can't have an official GAF fantasy league when the defending champ isn't involved! make a new league with more spots!

p.s. by defending champ i mean myself... what a glorious superbowl victory it was, as i rode the wings of Kbar to victory

Sorry, the most you can do is 20!

And I'm in the other league too, just to dominate you!

Fifty

Hehehe....20 people in a league. This should be crazy. I wonder how many people will forget about their teams. I'm guessing 10.

I signed up for the other league as well. FMT, get your ass in there.

Meier

Dude, we cant have too many people from this one signing up in that one cause then some others who want to play wont get a chance. Plus I set it to 16 so people arent filled with scrubs like in a 20 team league so there's less room already.

DMczaf

Ok, checked the thread.

Only 17 teams were named in this thread, if the last 3 dont post who they are soon I will have to kick them. I want to make sure I dont get any lurkers in this league.

Willco

Hollywood Square
And I hope nobody joins your league! You had your chance to have PRIMETIME PLAYERS like myself and Meier!

SyNapSe

lurker-owned!

One of them is TMdorsey.. I'm pretty sure he was in the league last year, but I don't know who he is on GAF

DMczaf

Willco said:
And I hope nobody joins your league! You had your chance to have PRIMETIME PLAYERS like myself and Meier!

So primetime that you were late to signups! You are lazy! Lazy like T-Mac's eye!

Willco

Hollywood Square
DMczaf said:
So primetime that you were late to signups! You are lazy! Lazy like T-Mac's eye!

Lazy like a person who has to work, not some bum that sits in his house all day and pretends he knows something about football!

DMczaf

Willco said:
Lazy like a person who has to work, not some bum that sits in his house all day and pretends he knows something about football!

What?! Im not the one posting about Spiderman 2 24/7 then going "What, fantasy football?!"

You dont have your priorities straight!

Football > Spider-Crap!

Willco

Hollywood Square
DMczaf said:
What?! Im not the one posting about Spiderman 2 24/7 then going "What, fantasy football?!"

You dont have your priorities straight!

Football > Spider-Crap!

I posted in this thread first when I got home, before Spider-Man. Lamer.

DMczaf

I canceled the league, it was retarded to have 20 fantasy teams. Just too many. I'm not going to make another one but any of you could, because I'm already in 3 other leagues.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Well that was short lived.

Fifty

I can create an 8 team league....That's not too few (8/10/12 are the standard options) and it makes sure that we can fill it. I had room for this league in my schedule, and now that it's gone, I can fit another in. Post here and I'll PM you the info.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd be up for another league, I didn't make it in time for the one that was cancelled though...still, if you have an open spot, i'll take it.

Fifty

Oh, well....Too many people were in that league to begin with...and when you had around 20....going to 8 isn't easy. I just wanted to start a small league to help 7 other people out. You're free to join. The rest of them can band together if they really want one :)

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
50 is the man.
I fucked up in the NBA playoffs game because the Kings did not live up to expectations.
Fortunately for me, the Giants will not have that problem, and every major player on the Giants will have career years.

calder

I would join a league. I know pretty much nothing about the NFL and indeed barely understand the rules, but the NFL looks fun just because so many ppl seem to enjoy it. I figure since I don't care even a tiny bit about any of the teams a fantasy team might get me into it.

I'm sure I'll do better than the bloody baseball roto league I'm in. :(

Fifty

Ok, Calder. I'll PM you. Don't worry guys....we have 5 with Calder, and getting 3 more will be easy. :) It should be a good league.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sactown said:
50 is the man.
I fucked up in the NBA playoffs game because the Kings did not live up to expectations.
Fortunately for me, the Giants will not have that problem, and every major player on the Giants will have career years.

This reminds me of the poor guy who drafted all the Raiders stars last year. *shudder*

calder

I just realized I don't know who played in the Super Bowl last year... but I think it was the Patriots who won. As to who else played I have no clue, and I'm a little worried that sitting here trying to imagine just one "star" football player I'm drawing a blank.

If nothing else this is an excuse to buy a draft magazine - those damn sports preview mags are like crack to me! ;)

Fifty

A draft magazine or website can really help you get your draft down. You might not have the best picks, but you can safely count on having a team worth fielding. 8 man leagues have tons of talent, so it won't be as hard to get starters, it's just a matter of deciding who to start during the season :)

Fifty

Are you sure you can do 4? If so, I'm ok with it...I just don't want someone quitting because they've got too many teams :) (I've done it myself in the past)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just a reminder, for those of us in the 8 team league: The draft is tomorrow at 7 PM EST. Be there, or just fix up your rankings before then.

calder

I tried to read the bigass NFL magazine I bought, but I just don't know any of the teams or players so it was boring as shit. I'll just wing it with the rankings at the back. :D

Go Prairie Facemaskers go!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
calder said:
I tried to read the bigass NFL magazine I bought, but I just don't know any of the teams or players so it was boring as shit. I'll just wing it with the rankings at the back. :D

Go Prairie Facemaskers go!

Just a quick fantasy football guideline, in case you still aren't really sure about the general idea:

Running back is by far the most important position. After that, if you can get either of the two elite wide receivers (R. Moss or Harrison) in the second round (in an 8-10 team league) or the latter first round (10+ teams), you should probably go for it. A note about RB vs WR: There are 32 starting NFL backs. With 16 teams, that means every one of them will be taken no matter what. You don't want to wait until you miss out on getting a starter. Wideouts, on the other hand, are generally three-deep on each team and you can pick up a backout wide receiver who will produce for you. Some leagues do, however, allow you to start a third wide receiver along with just one running back.

QBs are aplenty, and you only need to start one, as opposed to two running backs and wide receivers. If you can get an elite QB in rounds two-three, it might be worth it (Depending on who you ask, an elite QB can include Culpepper, Vick, and McNabb because they are threats to score rushing touchdowns which are worth twice as many points, or Manning and Favre because of their yardage and touchdown totals).

An elite tight end isn't really worth it unless your league makes you start one, in which case Heap, Gonzalez, Shockey, maybe even Kellen Winslow and Alge Crumpler can be taken later on past round three(again, late round three if your league has 16 teams). If you miss one of those five, you may as well just wait until you have no better players to take. After them, it's kind of murky and nobody really stands out. QBs are similar. Even solid NFL QBs like Brady, M. Hasslebeck, and Chad Pennington aren't worth all that much in FFL because of the way it is scored.

Take a defense very late, there are a number of good defenses and the points they get you rarely are reliable. It's more of a "Hey, I got defensive points this week" kind of thing. Same thing goes for kickers, who are even more useless in general. Some leagues count punt/kick return touchdowns along with the defensive unit, others put those points to the player (generally WR) who scores them. Occasionally, league rules will award points to both the defensive unit and the individual player, allowing for your points to be doubled.

Oh, and when you're drafting, check bye weeks. You don't want to be stuck with both of your top running backs sitting out on the same week, or your top two QBs.

As a final note: If you are pick 1 or 2, stay away from Ladanian Tomlinson and Priest Holmes. Those two are nothing but bad news. Yes...bad news....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom