• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

Man, reading this thread reminds me how few new games I played this year. Still have Uncharted 2 and ODST sitting in shrink wrap on my shelf and havent' even toughed Dragon Age yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play through a couple of them before the deadline.

upandaway

Isn't the best of both worlds to have, say, 20 points to distribute with 3/4 points system like in this OP?

There will be all the niche games you could possibly want and no one could just dump in huge points into his top games.

Rez said:
no, it doesn't. it makes the list much more interesting and diverse.

what we need is someone like evilore to step in and give the final word.

Yep. I prefer a list of 200 much more than a list of 20.

Things are already complicated, so we might as well make it even more of a clusterfuck by having a second thread (I'm not being sarcastic).

Lostconfused said:
How many people actually looked past the top 10 or even 20 games? If some one is going to go through a list of 100 why not just make a thread for a game. People are open to discussing niche titles and its going to tell you more about the game then a spot in a massive list of games.

It's a yearbook of the games we played. This system is like only allowing the Honor's kids to get their picture taken.

Ashodin

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's a yearbook of the games we played. This system is like only allowing the Honor's kids to get their picture taken.
And that's not even entirely true either. There are already multitudes of various games nominated, and now that people have to stretch their games, they will obviously vote for either the ones they think should win, or the ones that are near and dear to their hearts this year.

Meaning, this year will see different results than previous, which has the intended effect. Sure some games will be top heavy, but it means after those games (which we KNEW were going to be there) the other lists will be quite interesting to see.

swoon

1. Uncharted 2 - 3
2. Infamous - 2
3. Batman - 1
4. New Super Mario Brothers Wii - 1
5. Borderlands -1
6. Another Code: R -1
7. PixelJunk Shooter - 1
8. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
9. Beat Trip Beat
10. Flower

11. Shatter
12. Assassins Creed II
13. 30 Second Hero
14. Machinarium
15. Ratchet and Clank : A Crack In Time
16. Critter Crunch
17. Demon's Souls
18. WET
19. Mario & Luigi : Bower's Inside Story
20. Dead Space Extraction

awful point system.

Penguin

New Super Mari Bros Wii- 3
Uncharted 2- 2
Batman Arkham Asylum 2
Punch-Out- 1
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story 1
Borderlands 1

Grayman

Maxrpg said:
And that's not even entirely true either. There are already multitudes of various games nominated, and now that people have to stretch their games, they will obviously vote for either the ones they think should win, or the ones that are near and dear to their hearts this year.

Meaning, this year will see different results than previous, which has the intended effect. Sure some games will be top heavy, but it means after those games (which we KNEW were going to be there) the other lists will be quite interesting to see.
The other lists are going to have miniscule sample sizes. Has ONE racing game been mentioned yet in this thread?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Maxrpg said:

What "other games"? Everyone is just voting for the same 20 or so games. In terms of diversity and varity, the old system obliterates the new one.

Maxrpg said:

Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, this method is eliminating games from mention. Whether or not you're cool with that is of course up to you. Sure there are a multitude of games already mentioned, hundreds of people voted already. My point is only that in the old system there would have been even more.

Ashodin

Grayman said:
The other lists are going to have miniscule sample sizes. Has ONE racing game been mentioned yet in this thread?
You really think NONE will be mentioned? Think about it for a second. It's a "Game of the Year" list. Not a "every game that came out this year sorted into lists" list.

If the lists are short, it's because the games weren't foremost in a certain person's thoughts to make it into their list. Meaning, they weren't thought of in the terms of a Game of the Year.

And yes it won't be as diverse as before, but it will still be interesting that it will be diverse from LAST year's list.

swoon

BenjaminBirdie said:
Sorry, but no matter how you slice it, this method is eliminating games from mention. Whether or not you're cool with that is of course up to you. Sure there are a multitude of games already mentioned, hundreds of people voted already. My point is only that in the old system there would have been even more.

yea i haven't followed the whole debate, but this is very true and it's mind boggling that someone would argue with it. people's top 3-4 games will be the same because those games are the "best" are at least appeal to the most people, then next 16 or so games on peoples lists are were all the excitement happens and where i know i find the gems i've missed.

swoon said:
yea i haven't followed the whole debate, but this is very true and it's mind boggling that someone would argue with it. people's top 3-4 games will be the same because those games are the "best" are at least appeal to the most people, then next 16 or so games on peoples lists are were all the excitement happens and where i know i find the gems i've missed.
Those games will still be there this year.

grandjedi6

Maxrpg said:
You really think NONE will be mentioned? Think about it for a second. It's a "Game of the Year" list. Not a "every game that came out this year sorted into lists" list.

If the lists are short, it's because the games weren't foremost in a certain person's thoughts to make it into their list. Meaning, they weren't thought of in the terms of a Game of the Year.
Actually the previous years' threads were purposely called "GAF Games o' the Year". Its only this year that we've apparently ditched that idea.

And yes it won't be as diverse as before, but it will still be interesting that it will be diverse from LAST year's list.
You say diverse but you actually mean different.

swoon said:

Yes, exactly! I do not understand at all how people are against this. Sure it might even out console warrioring and now what might have been #1 last year will be like #3 this year. Is that really worth cutting off probably like a hundred or more games from at least getting a mention?

Eric Hall

Three:
Uncharted 2
Beatles: Rock Band

One:
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
UFC Undisputed 2009
Shadow Complex

unomas

Banned
Uncharted 2- 3 points

Modern Warfare 2 - 2 points

Batman Arkham Asylum - 2 points

Assasins Creed 2 - 2 points

Tekken 6 - 1 point

gokieks

Uncharted 2 - 3

Dragon Age: Origins - 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2
Muramasa: The Demon Blade - 2

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - 1

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yes, exactly! I do not understand at all how people are against this. Sure it might even out console warrioring and now what might have been #1 last year will be like #3 this year. Is that really worth cutting off probably like a hundred or more games from at least getting a mention?
Yup its totally worth it. If the game got cut, odds are its not worth talking about.

I only have two games this year that I think are contenders... such a disappointing year for gaming.

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

NSMBWii - 2 points.

That's. It.

grandjedi6

Lostconfused said:
Those games will still be there this year.
No they won't. Or at least they certainly won't be representative of gaf's collective opinion of them. Any game that appears outside of the top 10 in this system will do so because they "lost" the game of the year position or because they are outliers. You can't get a reliable 11-20+ list if everyone is just voting for 2-5 games and putting their "points" disproportionally into that.

Lostconfused said:
Yup its totally worth it. If the game got cut, odds are its not worth talking about.

What??

Sorry but, in all seriousness, is this the "spirit" that GAF is trying to put forth in deciding their Game Of The Year? And, yeah, wasn't it GameS of the Year anyway?

I'm sticking by my Yearbook analogy. This is like all the Lisas getting kicked out of her own Retrospeciticus.

grandjedi6

Lostconfused said:
Games that are not worth talking about according to Lostconfused:

11. Valkyria Chronicles - 1308
12. Burnout Paradise - 1203
13. Rock Band 2 - 1032
14. Mirror's Edge - 1010
15. Wipeout HD - 932
16. Persona 4 - 924
17. No More Heroes - 871
18. Resistance 2 - 807
19. World of Goo - 699
20. The World Ends With You - 698
21. Professor Layton and the Curious Village - 663
22. Mario Kart Wii - 653
23. Mega Man 9 - 632
24. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - 606
25. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - 535
26. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - 533
27. Lost Odyssey - 475
28. Devil May Cry 4 - 473
29. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix - 464
30. Mother 3 (Eng) - 452
31. Prince of Persia - 433
32. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - 427
33. Chrono Trigger DS - 415
34. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 - 414
35. Bionic Commando: Rearmed - 394
36. PixelJunk Monsters - 363
37. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core - 362
38. Ninja Gaiden II - 347
39. Tales of Vesperia - 337
40. Saints Row 2 - 323​

Obviously I can go on but I think I made my point

grandjedi6 said:
No they won't. Or at least they certainly won't be representative of gaf's collective opinion of them. Any game that appears outside of the top 10 in this system will do so because they "lost" the game of the year position or because they are outliers. You can't get a reliable 11-20+ list if everyone is just voting for 2-5 games and putting their "points" disproportionally into that.
Ok well we are getting into two separate arguments here. You are arguing for a list of games that are most popular proportional to their sales. Which is not quiet the same to a niche title that was really popular with its audience.
BenjaminBirdie said:
What??

Sorry but, in all seriousness, is this the "spirit" that GAF is trying to put forth in deciding their Game Of The Year? And, yeah, wasn't it GameS of the Year anyway?

I'm sticking by my Yearbook analogy. This is like all the Lisas getting kicked out of her own Retrospeciticus.
This is gaf, even the most niche titles will get a mention. Games that will get probably never even got mentioned in the official forums once.
KilgoreTrout said:
You here it here first, if a game isn't GOTY material, it's not worth talking about.
In reference to the game of the year thread? Yes.

grandjedi6

Lostconfused said:
Ok well we are getting into two separate arguments here. You are arguing for a list of games that are most popular proportional to their sales. Which is not quiet the same to a niche title that was really popular with its audience.
What? How the hell am I arguing that?

grandjedi6 said:

13. Rock Band 2 - 1032
14. Mirror's Edge - 1010
15. Wipeout HD - 932
16. Persona 4 - 924
17. No More Heroes - 871
18. Resistance 2 - 807
19. World of Goo - 699
22. Mario Kart Wii - 653
23. Mega Man 9 - 632
27. Lost Odyssey - 475
30. Mother 3 (Eng) - 452
40. Saints Row 2 - 323​

To be fair, though, those games would have been at least mentioned (unless they all appeared in the lower half of someone's voting. But I know for a fact I voted Nuts and Bolts my GOTY.)

grandjedi6 said:

13. Rock Band 2 - 1032
14. Mirror's Edge - 1010
15. Wipeout HD - 932
16. Persona 4 - 924
17. No More Heroes - 871
18. Resistance 2 - 807
19. World of Goo - 699
22. Mario Kart Wii - 653
23. Mega Man 9 - 632
27. Lost Odyssey - 475
30. Mother 3 (Eng) - 452
40. Saints Row 2 - 323​

nmh

grandjedi6 said:
What? How the hell am I arguing that?
Because the larger the list the more games mentioned and the game that has reached the widest audience will still get a large number of votes even if they are all 1 which would probably rank it above some die hard niche title that very few people awarded high scores.

Lostconfused said:
This is gaf, even the most niche titles will get a mention. Games that will get probably never even got mentioned in the official forums once.

It's not even a question of niche titles. A list people should really be showing is all the games last year that got 1-3 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom