• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think this format may be necessary because it should greatly reduce the time commitment required to tabulate these rankings.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wallach said:
Ah, well that is a valid complaint I suppose. I guess the reason it does not concern me terribly is because what typically would happen is that there is a very clear cut-off where you see an enormous list of games that got between 1-5 votes, which really tells you very little and doesn't leave a whole lot of discussion to be had about the games beyond that point (because really that is so few points the relative position of those games was nearly meaningless).
Last year we had over 150 games that got more than 5 votes (and over 250 that got more than 5 points).

Y2Kev said:
I think this format may be necessary because it should greatly reduce the time commitment required to tabulate these rankings.
I assumed it was to make GAFers think, thereby reducing the total number of entries to count.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lostconfused said:
That is exactly why I didn't use the word sales.
Except you did, at least in stating that I was somehow using sales as an indicator.

Lostconfused said:
Ok so how many games need to be on the overall list before you are happy?
You're missing the point entirely, possibly purposely so.

Uncharted 2 - 3
Ratchet and Clank Future : Crack in Time - 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2
Shadow Complex - 1
Street Fighter IV - 1

AKS

Demon's Souls- 3
Uncharted 2- 2
Dragon Age: Origins- 1
Killzone 2- 1
Ratchet & Clank Future: ACIT- 1
Borderlands- 1
Assassin's Creed II- 1

Fuck, I needed 1 more point each for Flower and Shadow Complex!!!! But I'm not taking away the extra points I gave Demon's Souls or Uncharted 2. Those are my #1 and #2. I also haven't even played PJ Shooter. Tough decisions! MW2 isn't listed because it has been a laggy mess for me. For someone who uses sniper rifles, this is a deal breaker. I don't know why this game is such an internetz disaster for me; no other game gives me these problems.

stupei

Lostconfused said:
Well a couple of people already mentioned it. I didn't bother to count if its going to make the top 10 wii only list, but it certainly will be somewhere on it.

Obviously a few people mentioned it. But I'm not listing it now. I'm also not listing Flower and Layton 2. I'm sure there are lots of other games that would have been mentioned and now aren't. The point is that the smaller lists would have all look very, very different than they do now. Sure, maybe Little King's Story will still make the top of the Wii list when it's only one of about five Wii games receiving regular mention in a thread designed entirely around listing only the games we all already knew GAF loved. Super interesting topic, that, and definitely worthy of all the time that's going to be put into tallying the votes.

It just makes a GOTY thread seem pretty pointless if all it's going to be about is proving GAF likes UC2 more than MW2 with AC2 just a little below that.

Sqorgar said:
I don't understand. If you want a game represented on the list, why not put it in your set? Yeah, that means not spending all three points on Uncharted 2, but that game doesn't need your help. Vote for the games YOU think deserve to be recognized. If you don't think it deserves to be recognized, why are you complaining when it isn't?

Because now I have to give 1 point to every game I was originally going to list if I am to be allowed to list them at all. I did not enjoy Flower as much as I enjoyed Assassin's Creed II, but if I want to be able to list them both (along with the other 8 games I enjoyed most this year) I have to give them both 1 point. Obviously I'm not complaining on behalf of games that don't deserve recognition but rather those that we realize have no chance of making it near the top of the list and are therefor likely to receive fewer points just because people want their votes to "count" just as much as the next person's. If all my favorite games only receive 1 point, it largely nullifies my vote.

Also really not sure what your random jab about UC2 has to do with anything, but it wasn't actually on my list.

Noshino

Uncharted 2 - 3
Demon's Souls - 2
Critter Crunch - 2

Meh, this system is bad, and those complaining on the last thread about niche having less chance with the other system (10 points, max of 5), well, this time niche games have even less of a chance.

grandjedi6 said:
Except you did, at least in stating that I was somehow using sales as an indicator. You're missing the point entirely, possibly purposely so.
By audience I meant the number of people who played the game which isn't strictly sales which is why I didn't use that word. I do think that if people had long enough lists and the game wasn't absolutely terrible it would receive a number of points proportional to its popularity.

Also I am missing your point but not intentionally. I tried re reading your posts and I think they might be about people listing games that they liked but not necessarily liked them enough to be game of the year but I am not sure if thats what you meant.

causan

Batman: AA - 3

Dawn of War II - 2
Torchlight - 2

Street Fighter IV - 1
Assassin Creed 2 - 1
Dragon Age: Origins - 1

Schrade

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Killzone 2 - 2
inFamous - 2
Flower - 1
Gran Turismo PSP - 1
LittleBigPlanet PSP - 1

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
New Super Mario Brothers Wii - 2
Assassin's Creed II - 1
Dragon Age: Origins - 1
Tales of Vesperia - 1
Forza Motorsport 3 - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony - 1
Little King's Story - 1
Flower - 1

reminder

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
inFamous - 2
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time - 2
God of War Collection - 2
PixelJunk Shooter - 1

Seda

Batman AA - 3
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 2
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks -2
Infamous - 2
Final Fantasy: Dissidia - 1

Uncharted 2: 2
DJ Hero: 2
Assassin's Creed II: 1
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: 1
Borderlands: 1
Beatles: Rock Band: 1
Flower: 1
Rhythm Heaven: 1

GhaleonQ

Excluding rereleases like The King Of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match, Dragon Quest V, Fire Emblem I, Phantom Brave: We Meet Again, Metal Slug XX, and Klonoa Wii and games that will be released in English eventually:

3-Little King's Story
2-(J) Inazuma 11 2: The Threat Of The Invaders
2-Half-Minute Hero
2-Machinarium
1-(J) Retro Game Challenge 2

And just because I want to delete this Notepad from my desktop, I'll go until my top 10 in English:
Little King's Story
(J) Inazuma 11 2: The Threat Of The Invaders
Half-Minute Hero
Machinarium
(J) Retro Game Challenge 2
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Mario And Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
(J) Sakura Note: The Future Connected To The Present
Tekken 6
(J) 7th Dragon
(J) Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip Of Love
Another Code: R: A Journey Into Lost Memories
(J) Chibi-Robo: Welcome Home
NHL 10
Tales Of Monkey Island
(J) Puyo Puyo 7
The Wizard Of Oz: Beyond The Yellow Brick Road

Even though this was the DS' weakest year, it's the only year of this generation that I liked. Way to go, games! It only took you until what would typically be the last year of the generation!

feezel

Uncharted 2 - 3 points
inFAMOUS - 2 points
Killzone 2 - 2 points
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2 points
Modern Warfare 2 - 1 points

Dragonage likely to be added when I get a chance to play it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Street Fighter IV - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2
Resident Evil 5 - 1
Borderlands - 2

Replaced Shadow Complex ¬_¬;

Kabouter

Terrible voting system, preferred the old top 10, but eh, fuck it.

3 points: Europa Universalis III: Heir to the Throne
While it only came out about a week ago, it's already safe to say that this is a classic. It's a great addition to what was already one of the best games ever made. It finally gives the diplomatic aspects of the game the depth they really need. And apart from that, it's done great things for the AI, which is far more challenging, aggressive and opportunistic in the pursuit of its goals. Anyone with even a passing interest in strategy or history owes it to themselves to at least give the demo a shot. Especially since the game runs on pretty much any PC.

2 points: Hearts of Iron III
Hearts of Iron III is the game that if it had been released in the state it will have by summer next year, would have been GOTY. But while it is still a fantastic game, it's not nearly as good as it could be in its current patched state. I really like the fact that despite adding a lot of depth, it's actually more accessible to new players by allowing them to leave certain aspects of the game to the AI.

2 points: Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (PC)
Anno 1701 was already a fantastic game with elegant gameplay, beautiful graphics and great music. Anno 1404 just builds on this, adding various new gameplay mechanics that really work well with the base mechanics. But despite this, it never hurts the accessibility of the game. Also great was a larger focus on the campaign, offering more and better missions for the player to attempt. The only thing really lacking is a multiplayer mode, which they're adding with the upcoming add-on. However, that's not really hurting the ranking for me personally, since I'm not a huge MP guy when it comes to Anno.

1 point: Mata Hari
I suspect no more than one or two GAFers have even heard of this game, let alone played it. Mata Hari is a point & click adventure game that really surprised me. It's not a true classic obviously, but it gives you a nice game world to explore, the voice acting is good, the story is good, the main character is good, the music is great and the atmosphere is great. The only major problem the game has really is the fact that it is really too easy. No impossible puzzles in this one, far from it.

1 point: The Sims 3
Yes, casual gaming ahoy. With the Sims 3, it finally feels like EA is putting the effort into the series it deserves. The Sims 2, while far from a bad game, didn't do nearly enough to improve upon the original. The Sims 3 however really comes very close to perfecting the base concept of the franchise. I still play the game every now and then, currently playing it again because of the excellent World Adventures add-on.

1 point: Mirror's Edge (PC)
I actually already owned the game on 360, and while I liked it there, it didn't click with me like the PC version did. PC controls really made this game far more enjoyable to me, and I had such a blast that I played through the PC version twice.

Oneself

Uncharted 2 (3)
Batman AA (2)
Killzone 2 (1)
inFAMOUS (1)
Pixel Junk Shooter (1)
Flower (1)
Resistance Retribution (1)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Demon's Souls - 3
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 - 2
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Uncharted 2 - 1

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - 3
Retro Game Challenge - 1
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box - 1
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - 1
Rhythm Heaven - 1
Street Fighter IV - 1
BlazBlue - 1
Punch-Out!! - 1

Ceebs

Risen - 3
Tales of Monkey Island - 2
Time Gentlemen, Please! - 1
Dawn of War 2 - 1
Batman: AA - 1

Noshino said:
Uncharted 2 - 3
Demon's Souls - 2
Critter Crunch - 2

Meh, this system is bad, and those complaining on the last thread about niche having less chance with the other system (10 points, max of 5), well, this time niche games have even less of a chance.

Here's a thought...If you want the niche games to be represented, how 'bout you use all your fucking points and vote for them.

Ashes

Banned
1. Uncharted 2: 3
2. Batman AA: 2
3. Killzone 2: 2
4. COD4 mw2: 2

5. Halo odst: 0 (no place for you on this list. ~I'm saving my last point for flower)
6. Assasins creed 2: 0 (no place for you on this list. ~I'm saving my last point for flower)
7. Street fighter 4: 0 (no place for you on this list. ~I'm saving my last point for flower)
8. Forza: 0 (no place for you on this list. ~I'm saving my last point for flower)
9. infamous: 0 (no place for you on this list. ~I saving my last point for flower)
10. Flower: 1 (flower will get no love cause of this system... :( )

sorry timetokill, we're just going to have to agree to disagree... regardless of that,thanks for putting the hard shift in...

edit: honorable mention: resistance retribution
and below that:
r&c...motorstorm arctic revenge/ ff7 and mgs released on psn, l4d

Demon's Souls - 3
Killzone 2 - 2
Flower - 1
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - 1
Anno 1404 - 1
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 1
inFamous - 1

Honorable mentions to Borderlands, Critter Crunch, Braid, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Dragon Age: Origins, Half-Minute Hero, Mirror's Edge (PC), The Last Remnant (PC), PixelJunk Shooter, Shatter, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, Torchlight, and WipEout HD Fury.

3 - Demon's Souls

2 - Uncharted 2
2 - Batman: Arkham Asylum

1 - Flower
1 - Dragon Age: Origins
1 - Killzone 2

Apologies to:
Shadow Complex
Assassin's Creed 2
Infamous
Torchlight
Borderlands

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3 points
Demon's Souls - 3 points
Dragon Age: Origins - 2 points
Batman Arkham Asylum - 1 point
Street Fighter IV - 1 point

I don't like having to limit my distribution of points, I didn't play THAT many games that I think deserve a spot on the list and I don't feel as though some of these games are equal, and I don't feel like some deserve a meager 1 point.

You made it even more restrictive than people wanted

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dragon Age:Origins - "3"
Assassin's Creed 2 - "2"
Batman AA - "1"

GhaleonQ

I don't understand the persistence of the complaints. Save them for next year's pre-list topic. People don't scroll through the list looking for games to play, the awesomeness of non-AAA games still matters, and nothing but Uncharted 2 or whatever nonsense wins, anyway. Have you SEEN NeoGAF's previous winners?

The point's been made, but NeoGAF's taste and the nature of popular votes precludes interesting outcomes. The sort of people looking to play mid-popularity stuff will find it, anyway. *shrugs* And yet I caved and posted a list this year...

Sloane

Banned
Henry Hatsworth - 2
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box -1
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 1
Tales of Monkey Island - 1
Torchlight - 1

I like the new system.

Noshino

pete_townshend said:
Here's a thought...If you want the niche games to be represented, how 'bout you use all your fucking points and vote for them.

Oh, I don't, but that was the reason as to why many were complaining on the thread made earlier.

Just go check the previous thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382800

Like timetokill himself mentioned, people just wanted to have more games to vote for and more points as well, which defeats the point of having a "top" list. We might as well have a freaking top 50 :lol

Im with you in that, if people wanted those obscure games to rank on the list, then they should have voted for those, but apparently people don't want to make such choices, shame really.

Anyway, it seems that this will be this year's system, hopefully things change next year. :lol

Mar

Well if this voting system is going to stick I won't try and say otherwise. I will however post my original list and the OP can assign points how he likes. I appreciate his hard work regardless of how it all ends up.

1. Modern Warfare 2
2. Street Fighter IV
3. Bubble Bobble Neo
4. FEAR 2
5. Dragonage: Origins
6. Knight 'n' Grail
7. Brutal Legend
8. Left 4 Dead 2
9. Borderlands
10. R-Type Dimensions

A rather boring number 1 I have to admit. But in the end, it is the best game I've played this year. The fact that I've only ever played it twice is testament to that fact. I may have only played it twice, but those two times were finishing it from start to finish one day, then doing the same but on veteran the next.

Really, my top 3 are absolute in my mind. Those were the 3 games I really loved this year. The rest are just icing on the cake.

With that in mind though, there wasn't anything this year that grabbed me by the nuts and blew on my face. Nothing that would get near my personal top 10 of all time. Unlike last year and the year before that. However it was a year of really good games in general. I usually have trouble filling a top 10. Not this year.

Never heard of Knight 'n' Grail? Understandable. It was a new C64 game released this year. Yes, a real, retail, C64 game. One that I bought online and received a physical copy, on floppy disk and in old style case and all. The game was awesome and did things I didn't think a C64 could do in one load. The ending was a mind fuck.

Two of the games in my top 3, SF4 and Bubble Bobble Neo, are both shining examples of a remake in my opinion. Somehow Capcom made a new Street Fighter that felt like the old Street Fighter, but better. How they did it I have no idea, but obviously the developers were geniuses. Bubble Bobble Neo may well be the best Bubble Bobble version I've played since the original in the arcades. It mixes the game up enough to make it feel slightly fresh, yet at the same time keeps everything that worked in the original. I was obsessed with collecting every food and special item in the game for weeks. Glorious.

FEAR 2 just keeps affirming Monolith as the best developer of horror games these past few years. Everything they touch turns to gold.

It's a shame I'm tossing this list into the ether as it were. Every game will be given just 1 point under this system making them all equal in the eyes of the final tally. But hey, at least people who read it know the real deal.

stupei

GhaleonQ said:
I don't understand the persistence of the complaints. Save them for next year's pre-list topic. People don't scroll through the list looking for games to play, the awesomeness of non-AAA games still matters, and nothing but Uncharted 2 or whatever nonsense wins, anyway. Have you SEEN NeoGAF's previous winners?

The point's been made, but NeoGAF's taste and the nature of popular votes precludes interesting outcomes. The sort of people looking to play mid-popularity stuff will find it, anyway. *shrugs* And yet I caved and posted a list this year...

Actually when I get a new system one thing I eventually like to do is look at some of the smaller or platform specific categories for previous years. Most of those games are now available at bargain prices, and also aren't really being talked about on GAF anymore so they may be less known for new owners. The old lists are a good place to look for ideas if you want to find something for your new system outside whatever month old game is GAF's current GOTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom