• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

timetokill, I think the problem people are seeing here is that the way GOTY has worked on GAF for the past few years is that the list of submissions is used for ALL categories. RPG of the Year, FPS of the year, etc is all taken from people's list. If people use all their points on a few games, then we might not be able to get as good a list for some of those smaller awards.

grandjedi6 said:
No they won't. Or at least they certainly won't be representative of gaf's collective opinion of them. Any game that appears outside of the top 10 in this system will do so because they "lost" the game of the year position or because they are outliers. You can't get a reliable 11-20+ list if everyone is just voting for 2-5 games and putting their "points" disproportionally into that.
You can't get a reliable 11 - 20 list under the older system, either. I usually don't have the problem of having played more than 10 brilliant new games in a given year (my playtime is overwhelmingly for older titles), but I found it frustrating in the GOTF voting thread that honourable mentions wouldn't count for anything. These things are a popularity contest, however, through and through and the final list should be read as a "This many people think of this game as their favourite" list rather than a "These are the best games of the year as ranked by quality" list, which are clearly not the same thing.

I like this system because it means that it's better geared toward the first than attempting and failing at the second. The three-point limit is also good because it allows you to rank better games, but doesn't give an overwhelming advantage to them.

ZZMitch

Well you know a system like this is messed up when you have to choose between two awesome games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands to be on your list... :(

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's not even a question of niche titles. A list people should really be showing is all the games last year that got 1-3 points.
Ok maybe its just me but of the 15 games I could have listed I had to cut 10. All of the games I could have possibly listed some one already mentioned them. I guess I just disagree with the idea that every game out there needs to be mentioned in this thread and that it would be a much better idea to just make a new thread for it.

Lostconfused said:
Because the larger the list the more games mentioned and the game that has reached the widest audience will still get a large number of votes even if they are all 1 which would probably rank it above some die hard niche title that very few people awarded high scores.

trumanshow.gif

Grayman

Firestorm said:
timetokill, I think the problem people are seeing here is that the way GOTY has worked on GAF for the past few years is that the list of submissions is used for ALL categories. RPG of the Year, FPS of the year, etc is all taken from people's list. If people use all their points on a few games, then we might not be able to get as good a list for some of those smaller awards.
yep,
Racer of the year based on the first 100 posts
1. Forza 3 - 5 points
2. Motorstorm Artic Edge - 1 point
2. ExciteBots - 1 point
2. Need for Speed: Shift - 1 point

After looking at the debate and the votes I agree, the current method is inferior. That said, I appreciate timetokill efforts. He's doing a truly thankless task.

Firestorm said:

Possibly, but based on the list I have now (130+ games nominated) it seems that there are representatives from each genre already... I don't think it will be an issue but we will see when the results come out. But looking at it now I think it won't be an issue.

PopcornMegaphone said:
After looking at the debate and the votes I agree, the current method is inferior. That said, I appreciate timetokill efforts. He's doing a truly thankless task.

Sure, I don't fault the guy. It's obviously a tremendous amount of work.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lostconfused said:
Because the larger the list the more games mentioned and the game that has reached the widest audience will still get a large number of votes even if they are all 1 which would probably rank it above some die hard niche title that very few people awarded high scores.
sales? I seriously doubt gaf's GotY is affected by sales. In fact, I remember people doing analysis showing that gaf's GotY awards was heavily tied to thread sizes, essentially meaning it effectively gaged gaf's interests.

Or are you arguing that we should ditch decision by consensus by giving niche groups more voting power? If so I'd say thats a horrible idea that would/is leading to a passionate few creating a result that does not accurately represent the entire community

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dragon Age 3
Batman 3
New Super Mario Brother Wii 2
MLB the Show 2

PopcornMegaphone said:

This, regardless of what happens.

Wallach

I guess I don't understand the complaints. This is a vote for the GotY, is it not? Therefore... what really is the purpose of seeing games so far down the list? I could see the interest when it comes to an all-time type of list, but in this case I just don't know as I see the value of knowing whether a game got #48 or #66 when we're asking what the majority of the users on this site feel was the single best game of this year.

grandjedi6 said:
sales? I seriously doubt gaf's GotY is affected by sales. In fact, I remember people doing analysis showing that gaf's GotY awards was heavily tied to thread sizes, essentially meaning it effectively gaged gaf's interests.

Or are you arguing that we should ditch decision by consensus by giving niche groups more voting power? If so I'd say thats a horrible idea that would/is leading to a passionate few creating a result that does not accurately represent the entire community
That is exactly why I didn't use the word sales.

Edit: By audience I was referring to the number of people that played the game not sales. The larger the list of games people make the more likely that a game will get mentioned, if the game is popular enough it might get mentioned on a lot of lists at some point in time.
KilgoreTrout said:
Your awful posts don't deserve an awesome .gif to be posted anywhere near them.
Then I have to wonder why you even bother in the first place. Besides you know not having anything else to do than try to insult some one on a forum.

stupei

Firestorm said:

This.

I was planning to vote for Little King's Story this year, but with this system it doesn't really work. I like it a lot, but not more than Batman, Dragon Age, AC2, and Bowser's Inside Story, so now it's bumped from my list. Of course a game like that never had a chance of cracking the main top 10, but it would easily be near the top of the Wii specific list.

ZZMitch

Wallach said:
I guess I don't understand the complaints. This is a vote for the GotY, is it not? Therefore... what really is the purpose of seeing games so far down the list? I could see the interest when it comes to an all-time type of list, but in this case I just don't know as I see the value of knowing whether a game got #48 or #66 when we're asking what the majority of the users on this site feel was the single best game of this year.

Because we already know the GotY... what is interesting is seeing a list of everyone's favorite games, whether it is ranked 1st or 100th.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Modern Warfare 2 - 3 points

Street Fighter IV - 2 points
Halo 3: ODST - 2 points

Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1 point
The Beatles: Rock Band - 1 point
Trials HD - 1 point

Puck

Banned
THREE
Uncharted 2
InFamous
FIFA 10

TWO
God of War collection
Street Fighter 4
Killzone 2

ONE
Beatles: Rock Band
Tony Hawk: RIDE

MINUS THREE
New voting system

AeroGod

Uncharted 2 - 3 Points
Ratchet: A Crack in Time- 2 Points
Demon Souls- 2 Points
Red Faction: Guerrilla- 2 Points
Assassins Creed 2- 1 Point

:D

stupei said:
This.

I was planning to vote for Little King's Story this year, but with this system it doesn't really work. I like it a lot, but not more than Batman, Dragon Age, AC2, and Bowser's Inside Story, so now it's bumped from my list. Of course a game like that never had a chance of cracking the main top 10, but it would easily be near the top of the Wii specific list.
Well a couple of people already mentioned it. I didn't bother to count if its going to make the top 10 wii only list, but it certainly will be somewhere on it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wallach said:
See thats just it. In every previous year it was the GAF Games of the Year, however this year we've ditched that to only focus on the top game. And if we were only out to figure out the top game of the year then this system is just fine. But personally I care the least about that because its always completely obvious -- insert fan favorite console exclusive here. The fact that gaf's list used to be more about all the games is what made it unique, but now some people have apparently decided to make it like all the other crappy single game of the year things out there.

Demon's souls - 3
Infamous - 2
Ratchet and Clank - 2
Uncharted 2 - 1
Brutal Legend - 1
Borderlands - 1

I forgot Killzone 2 was even this year.]

Puck said:
MINUS THREE
New voting system
you didn't get it right anyways :D

Puck said:
THREE
Uncharted 2
InFamous
FIFA 10

TWO
God of War collection
Street Fighter 4
Killzone 2

ONE

MINUS THREE
New voting system

You're gonna need MINUS 8 for new voting system. :lol

Sqorgar

Banned
stupei said:
I don't understand. If you want a game represented on the list, why not put it in your set? Yeah, that means not spending all three points on Uncharted 2, but that game doesn't need your help. Vote for the games YOU think deserve to be recognized. If you don't think it deserves to be recognized, why are you complaining when it isn't?

linsivvi

Uncharted 2 - 3
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 2
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1
Infamous - 1
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time -1
Demon's Souls - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1

ZZMitch

Puck said:
THREE
Uncharted 2
InFamous
FIFA 10

TWO
God of War collection
Street Fighter 4
Killzone 2

ONE

MINUS THREE
New voting system

At first I was like :/ then I lol'd.gif

grandjedi6 said:
See thats just it. In every previous year it was the GAF Games of the Year, however this year we've ditched that to only focus on the top game. And if we were only out to figure out the top game of the year then this system is just fine. But personally I care the least about that because its always completely obvious -- insert fan favorite console exclusive here. The fact that gaf's list used to be more about all the games is what made it unique, but now some people have apparently decided to make it like all the other crappy single game of the year things out there.
Ok so how many games need to be on the overall list before you are happy?

Wallach

grandjedi6 said:

Ah, well that is a valid complaint I suppose. I guess the reason it does not concern me terribly is because what typically would happen is that there is a very clear cut-off where you see an enormous list of games that got between 1-5 votes, which really tells you very little and doesn't leave a whole lot of discussion to be had about the games beyond that point (because really that is so few points the relative position of those games was nearly meaningless).

Cipherr

Little King's Story 3 points

Flower 2 points

Wipeout (PSthree) 2 points - This one may or may not have even come out this year, but I played it for the first time this year. Just ignore if its a 2008 title please.

Edit: Ohsnap Ok 2 points for Anno please.

I really didnt do much gaming outside of PC this year. Wish I could vote for Anno but I think this stuff is console only.

RobertM

Batman AA - 3 points

Uncharted 2 - 2 points
Infamous - 2 points

Resistance Retribution - 1 point
Wolfenstein - 1 point
Killzone 2 - 1 point

Turd of the year: Damnation.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Assassin's Creed 2 - 2 points