• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Throwback: Aloy looks a little off.......

vpance

Closer to the original actress

A74690-B3-5992-4172-AEBC-DCC42-B2-FED4-F.jpg

Venom Snake

Maybe i'm dumb, but i don't understand why female protagonists must necessarily resemble Disney princesses.
I mean, if you need one in your life just go for the real thing.

The world is made up of pretty, average and ugly things, and i don't mean just the external appearance. I cannot imagine media that only show these idealized aspects and attitudes of our lives. People are defined not only by their own virtues, but also by their defects.

And it is not that we are deprived of attractive protagonists in games or movies, because it is an important element of creative vision that will always be there, for one reason or another. Let's not reduce every single artistic concept to this one aspect only.
Diversity in art is what provokes discussions and confronts points of view, makes shit more interesting. Even if it mainly boils down to mocking comments from fanboys, i'd rather take that than just pure admiration for a product so perfect in every respect that it leaves no room for futher discussion.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's topics like this I remember why I need to take a break from gaming forums.

No, this is exactly why you should stick around even if you have different opinions and have a blast from all the memes here.

Closer to the original actress

A74690-B3-5992-4172-AEBC-DCC42-B2-FED4-F.jpg

It would be interesting if GG adjusted her face after all the noise, that one looks truer to the actress indeed. They should CRUNCH the modeling staff now. This guy likes that last sentence:

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucG9kY2hhc2VyLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvbWlzc2luZy1pbWFnZS5wbmc%3D

Last edited:

Phase

I’m sure you’ve played plenty of games with ugly looking male characters and you didn’t bat an eye lid. You probably look at one every day too.
It's funny that you start resorting to personal attacks. In any case, why would I want to look at ugly male characters either? I don't, unless there's some story reason. The stereotypical man with huge muscles is basically every male protagonist. I don't hear people yelling about those impossible standards. You could argue that it fits that Aloy would be ugly, but there are many natural women that are beautiful without makeup. Western game devs are a joke at the moment and they brought it on themselves with their intentionally made ugly "inclusive" characters.

She just looks weird and is noticeably uglier than her previous iteration, and we're discussing that in a thread made for that purpose.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It's funny that you start resorting to personal attacks. In any case, why would I want to look at ugly male characters either? I don't, unless there's some story reason. The stereotypical man with huge muscles is basically every male protagonist. I don't hear people yelling about those impossible standards. You could argue that it fits that Aloy would be ugly, but there are many natural women that are beautiful without makeup. Western game devs are a joke at the moment and they brought it on themselves with their intentionally made ugly "inclusive" characters.

She just looks weird and is noticeably uglier than her previous iteration, and we're discussing that in a thread made for that purpose.

I would play a God of War with George Costanza as Kratos though...

Last edited:

White-fire

Because they *literally* have nothing going for them in life, and are drowning in student loan debt that helped fund a worthless liberal arts degree.

This crap is hilarious. We seriously somehow need characters to pass these random people’s attractability test to be deemed “worthy” enough to play as. There’s literally people trying to petition the developers to change something so menial and stupid as her jawbones. People have truly gone insane.

It kinda makes me hope more game developers do this just to see how these people cope.

Edit: Also people are acting as if some how Aloy is now ugly (as if that would matter to anyone but themselves), when in fact she’s nowhere close. I honestly think these people are sexually frustrated that they might not find her as attractive now. That’s the funniest part.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
This crap is hilarious. We seriously somehow need characters to pass these random people’s attractability test to be deemed “worthy” enough to play as. There’s literally people trying to petition the developers to change something so menial and stupid as her jawbones. People have truly gone insane.

It kinda makes me hope more game developers do this just to see how these people cope.

Edit: Also people are acting as if some how Aloy is not ugly (as if that would matter to anyone but themselves), when in fact she’s nowhere close. I honestly think these people are sexually frustrated that they might not find her as attractive now. That’s the funniest part.

jake gyllenhaal smile GIF by Fox Searchlight

Phase

Edit: Also people are acting as if some how Aloy is not ugly (as if that would matter to anyone but themselves), when in fact she’s nowhere close. I honestly think these people are sexually frustrated that they might not find her as attractive now. That’s the funniest part.
I mean it doesn't matter. People that are going to play will play regardless. I think people have a right to voice their displeasure, just as much as the developers have a right to ignore them. I wonder if some game will experiment with a character creation tool something like this: The game gives you the character (the protagonist model you will play as) and you can change different aspects of them, like height, weight, but that is it.

So, for example, you couldn't change anything major about Aloy but you could make her a land whale if you wanted. I would do that.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Riiiiight but.. by Jaffes logic.
She isn't real and is created so why would you make the effort into making her look chubbier than the first game? This is a gorgeous looking game with extreme detail.. you're telling me the protagonists face is not an intentional choice?

Why would they make that choice?

With me it's not a fantasy thing. I'm just curious. I'm sure people online are being immature from both sides.

I think shutting down all conversation because " wah youre sexist, it's just a game, you're such an incel" is not right either.

And let's not pretend this isn't exclusive to games either.. cmon. Movies have been reshot for less than this...

He cant criticize sony for shit he works for them.

Chick straight up is a athelete that runs 24/7. anybody with a fucking clue would know your face won't be as fat as hers for sure its fucking impossible.

Its typical with him. trying to come up with the dumpest argument to validate his delusion.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
He cant criticize sony for shit he works for them.

Chick straight up is a athelete that runs 24/7. anybody with a fucking clue would know your face won't be as fat as hers for sure its fucking impossible.

Its typical with him. trying to come up with the dumpest argument to validate his delusion.

But movies/series as well don't make sense as well, The Walking Dead as well you only see Michonne that fits the lore perfectly. The argument is valid but it's a widespread problem because those devs and producers of games/movies don't seem to be socializing with people that bravely criticize them face-to-face instead of praising them all the time.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Safe to say this is Sony's Craige. Not because the visual fidelity is embarrassingly bad, but because "Guerilla made her fat" and the memes are growing.

Anyways it got people talking and distracted from the actual technical flaws in the demo (pop-in, sand deformation, clipping, etc). Whatever

Kenpachii

But movies/series as well don't make sense as well, The Walking Dead as well you only see Michonne that fits the lore perfectly. The argument is valid but it's a widespread problem because those devs and producers of games/movies don't seem to be socializing with people that bravely criticize them instead of praising them all the time.

It makes perfect sense when u realize what culture those people operate in.

This is your issue.

54c8aa927197bd11bc21e0d009b6602e.png

Top Bottom