• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Throwback: Aloy looks a little off.......

Most men don't like playing with female protagonists, most females don't like playing with male protagonists. That's really natural.
2601481-9187041182-whats.gif

Who told you that it's natural? so do you think you are Aloy when you control her and that makes you uncomfortable? that's really weird dude

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
My issue with Aloy is that she always seemed to have an oddly large/fat head, but thinner body. Also, she doesn't appear to be someone fit enough to be running around in a post-apocalyptic, survival-focused world. No matter what her natural body type is, she should be ripped doing the things she does in that world.

Would be much more badass if she was built like this:

article-2178836-14369512000005DC-53_306x465.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
2601481-9187041182-whats.gif

Who told you that it's natural? so do you think you are Aloy when you control her and that makes you uncomfortable? that's really weird dude

No, I think she looks too weak to be the protagonist, but she capitalize on that by being mostly a distant fighter with bows and being nimble, so that's good.

Last edited:
Jesus fuck, this thread is legitimately disgusting. The forced beauty standards are making me puke; it was the same ordeal as with Returnal. Just because the protagonist isn't your run-of-the-mill slut clad in spandex doesn't mean her standing as a character should suffer in any way shape or form. There are more pressing and important methods for a character to endear themselves to the player, the most prominent being the quality of writing. Are you guys weeping over the fact that Aloy doesn't meet your inequitable standards of beauty because your fear the lack of coom material on rule34? Grow the fuck up. She looks absolutely fine, and picking out the most uncharitable of frames to denigrate her doesn't serve your concerns at all. The funny thing is, I never saw any complaints about Ghost of Tsushima's Jin Sakai failing to fulfill the pretty boy aesthetic, but when it concerns a female, it suddenly becomes an issue.🤦‍♂️
Great Post well put

Monokrom

Why weird? Most men don't like playing with female protagonists, most females don't like playing with male protagonists. That's really natural. I play a lot of games with female protagonists, but if I get the option I always choose the male one.
Well, then I'm not like most men :). I always (if it's an option) choose to play as a female protagonist. I know a couple of my friends do the same thing.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, then I'm not like most men :). I always (if it's an option) choose to play as a female protagonist. I know a couple of my friends do the same thing.

Yeah I saw my older brother the other day as well playing as the female protagonist in AC Valhalla. Doesn't mean you're not normal.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I have no idea what the fuck this thread is supposed to be. I think Aloy is relatively attractive in both games, not a "Tifa from FF7 remake" level of hot, but not a horrendous monster either.

She's not so unattractive that it's distracting or that I feel as though there is woke-intervention\collectivism on the character design like there might be with some other games right now.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nier is great, you prefer this?

bM771sA.jpg

Also how does somebody refuse to play an excellent game such as Zelda or FF VII because of a "girly dress"?

Maybe you like the girly dress so you don't understand? I just don't find the chemistry between a savior hero and being too weak-built, looks girlish and cross-dresses. In the mean while a normal, good looking girl like Aloy gets furiously attacked by the same people who "don't understand why don't like girly dress for males".

Last edited:
Maybe you like the girly dress so you don't understand? I just don't find the chemistry between a savior hero who's too weak-built and also looks girlish and cross-dresses. In the mean while a normal, good looking girl like Aloy gets furiously attacked by the same people who "don't understand why don't like girly dress for males".
Or maybe you're just being intolerant due to your own insecurity about your manliness. Otherwise you wouldn't be so afraid of "girly" things.
It's a frikkin' video game, it's fiction that has no bearing on you as a person anyway.

People need to learn to get some distance to the entertainment they consume.

Edit: Forgot to add an important "no".

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Or maybe you're just being intolerant due to your own insecurity about your manliness. Otherwise you wouldn't be so afraid of "girly" things.
It's a frikkin' video game, it's fiction that has bearing on you as a person anyway.

How about you say the same to people attacking Aloy, then? You sound very smart.

To me it kills immersion, just like making Kratos look like those typical JRPG male protagonists.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say she’s ugly. She’s not gorgeous, but she wasn’t gorgeous in the first game either. She looks a little different, but every sequel changes character models a little. Amazing how this thread is 8 pages long.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do they flat out refuse to play the game due to her looks?

Some, yes. They actually feel offended. I don't like those mentioned, but not something will stop me from playing a game I like. For Neir that no-voice conversations of JRPG and premium price of expensive AAA game drives me away, I don't like speechless games, aside from her looks/outfits. And for FF7 Remake I stopped mostly because of popin and load times, even though the game has horrendous side missions and overall feel like an extremely old game with makeup, unlike FF15 which most hated because it's not turn-based. Overall, not a FF fan but gonna continue the game when PS5 patch hits.

For BOTW I didn't like that part, but if I have the Switch (can afford it but not a fan of owning multiple consoles/platforms) it'll be the first game I buy.

Those negatives mentioned get accumulated to the point you don't buy the game. Guess what? Many people shitting on AC Valhalla because of the female protagonist, I also find her cringy but the male Eivor is a well-written, well-acted character.

Synless

Why weird? Most men don't like playing with female protagonists, most females don't like playing with male protagonists. That's really natural. I play a lot of games with female protagonists, but if I get the option I always choose the male one.
I always choose the female one. I can never wrap my mind over not staring at the sexy backside of my female characters and instead looking at a dude the whole time. In my mind as a male there just isn‘t another option.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I always choose the female one. I can never wrap my mind over not staring at the sexy backside of my female characters and instead looking at a dude the whole time. In my mind as a male there just isn‘t another option.

Keywords for our both inputs: Personal Preferences.

Last edited:
Some, yes. They actually feel offended. I don't like those mentioned, but not something will stop me from playing a game I like. For Neir that no-voice conversations of JRPG and premium price of expensive AAA game drives me away, I don't like speechless games, aside from her looks/outfits. And for FF7 Remake I stopped mostly because of popin and load times, even though the game has horrendous side missions and overall feel like an extremely old game with makeup, unlike FF15 which most hated because it's not turn-based. Overall, not a FF fan but gonna continue the game when PS5 patch hits.

For BOTW I didn't like that part, but if I have the Switch (can afford it but not a fan of owning multiple consoles/platforms) it'll be the first game I buy.

Those negatives mentioned get accumulated to the point you don't buy the game. Guess what? Many people shitting on AC Valhalla because of the female protagonist, I also find her cringy but the male Eivor is a well-written, well-acted character.
Fair enough, nobody should be forced to play something they don't like, taste is subjective after all.
What you just mentioned are different reasons than mentioned before though. I find it sad when people miss out on truly great games, due to some narrow-minded superficial preferences, like the looks of a character or a navel-free costume.

Imagine if books were written like that, you'd never get the great classical literature that we have today. Do you only read books with protagonists that you idealize or want to bang? Of course not, so why should it be any different for games?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fair enough, nobody should be forced to play something they don't like, taste is subjective after all.
What you just mentioned are different reasons than mentioned before though. I find it sad when people miss out on truly great games, due to some narrow-minded superficial preferences, like the looks of a character or a navel-free costume.

Imagine if books were written like that, you'd never get the great classical literature that we have today. Do you only read books with protagonists that you idealize or want to bang? Of course not, so why should it be any different for games?

Yup, I added more context so we are in an agreement here ;) I played Life is Strange, she's a lesbo, well that didn't bother me and the story and experience overall is so unique and wonderful. Same with TLOU2, I felt gutted to play as Ellie instead of Joel who I liked so much, let alone other details, but the game overall ended up as my 3rd best game ever.

Also I highly recommend playing (Valiant Hearts: The Great War), one of the most heart-breaking experiences in gaming.

OZ9000

Banned
Holy shit her redesign looks SO BAD.

Aloy looked ok in Horizon 1, but now she looks like some Karen with 4 kids you'd see at the supermarket.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

It's because they're focused on the enemies in front of the character, not the booty 🤷‍♂️

Some of you need to jerk one out and come back to this thread with some more clarity in your mind.

Corndog

Banned
The left* one feels closer and POV, the right one seems like zoomed in from a bit far distance. Even human eyes work that way as it's just physics as the closer part will look bigger as well. She's this close, maybe that's why he spat the water:

vlcsnap-2021-05-28-06h18m56s668.png

From this angle I think she looks normal.
I think she looks a bit funny from the top of her head tapering smaller and from her mullet.

Faithless83

Banned
I bought FF7 remake and stopped because of extreme popin, so said will continue the game when PS5 version is up. Not sure what that crossdressing is all about as it's out of context to me right now as I just stopped at that bar where you meet that girl he loves with the other crew.
There is a reason for the cross dressing stuff and there is a line about it later in the game, that nails what the player was feeling. Cloud is not comfortable in the situation at all.

That said, I consider games as movies and other media. I'm controlling a character, but I'm not the character.
The whole "japanese man look feminine" can be reversed to "why the fuck western women look like man".
I'm sure that's not the case IRL. It's just "artists" trying too hard not to appeal to the male audience after "all the sexism in games and the horror that it caused".

Sinthor

Gold Member
It's a frikkin' video game, it's fiction that has no bearing on you as a person anyway.

Edit: Forgot to add an important "no".
Yeah, Bo's being intolerant...says the person lecturing him for his own tastes. Isn't that by definition...rather intolerant of you? What..someone can't have a negative opinion of a male character type and call that "girly?" But it's totally cool to have the OPPOSITE in taste, right?

Sheesh....I. JUST. CAN'T!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yup, I added more context so we are in an agreement here ;) I played Life is Strange, she's a lesbo, well that didn't bother me and the story and experience overall is so unique and wonderful. Same with TLOU2, I felt gutted to play as Ellie instead of Joel who I liked so much, let alone other details, but the game overall ended up as my 3rd best game ever.

Also I highly recommend playing (Valiant Hearts: The Great War), one of the most heart-breaking experiences in gaming.
Bingo, I've played the same. And the reason I disliked TLOU2 so much was not the lesbian part or the trans-gender bits either. I mean, whatever. That stuff doesn't bother me any more than reading it in a book or whatever.

I still think it's hilarious how people get all excited about female characters and "objectifying," etc., but have no problem with the typical male character that tends to be a 300lb 6 foot 8 tall, space marine with 1% body fat...all natural of course! :) It's what entertainment DOES. You don't see very many unattractive men OR women in Hollywood movies or on TV now, do you? There's a reason for that. As much as people want to claim enlightenment and that they don't objectify whatever sex they prefer....they still would rather look at a hot man or woman than an unattractive one!

Top Bottom