• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFCliques are the worst thing that can happen to this forum.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Mad Men Crying GIF
What's there to cry about?

You're not Arcadia

Life is great!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
In all seriousness,

It's important now more than ever to invest your energy and time to get to know your fellow forum community and members, join in on the topics, and don't be tempted to create a GAFClique and develop a false sense of superiority, like I did before.

Human beings are created to know one another.
Maybe talk to the people who are such jackasses and act like they are superior to everyone else along with harassing others instead of finding common ground. Cliques are not the problem. Just my 2 CENTS.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Over the past two years, I've went through several phases as a GAF member, both publicly and privately.

I've been on both sides of the spectrum that is "internet forum", and what I learned over the past two years is how destructive forum cliques are to the community of a forum.

It's one thing to have a community with a shared interest, say SonyGAF/XboxGAF/MusicGAF, but when a small group of members form.a clique and isolate themselves from the community at large, things tend to get messy and confusing for the forum in general.

I'll give you an example: say you're in a thread and the topic at hand is either an inside joke between a group of members (i.e. GAFClique) or the thread is about a general topic but gets derailed/bombarded with inside jokes that only the GAFclique understands.

I was a part of this exact problem and it took me a long time to realize how terrible it was for other members to experience once I became an independent GAF member.

Like it or not, members and humans in general don't like to feel left behind on something, whether it's a joke, a running gag, or even a point of discussion/perspective.

I've experienced both sides and enjoyed both sides to the fullest, but I would say that being an inclusive & independent member of a forum is far more rewarding & satisfying than being part of an intimate yet exclusionary GAFClique.

It's important now more than ever to invest your energy and time to get to know your fellow forum community and members, join in on the topics, and don't be tempted to create a GAFClique and develop a false sense of superiority, like I did before.

I notice you left out NintendoGAF. Are we not cool enough for you?

-Minsc-

I know I was not part of the "in" crowd at school. Spent a lot of time wanting to be accepted somewhere. In the grand scheme of things it seems I have to progressively accept my self in order to be accepted by others. If I have no confidence in me then how can I expect others to?

Can't hate cliques, none of us can know everybody equally. The best we can do is love each other the best we can. Sometimes that means understanding we are not part of that group over there. Each of us can seek out our own circle. In jokes are in jokes. Either spend energy joining along or on topics that are actually interesting.

Personally, I do have a bit of a hard time giving up my "loner-ness". Still processing it all, may have something to do with not really caring about being on a text based forum. I did initially come on to internet forums because I was too afraid to go out and meet people face to face.

I have no real clue what the OP is trying to convey (after all I'm not that person). Great thread though because it allows me to sort some thoughts out. One thing I'm considering is to actually talk about some things here on GAF I'm actually interested in. Twenty years on internet forums and I've largely never talked about them. They say to talk about your passions. What initially brought me here, gaming, is not what will keep me here.

There you all go, a post of something.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Over the past two years, I've went through several phases as a GAF member, both publicly and privately.

I've been on both sides of the spectrum that is "internet forum", and what I learned over the past two years is how destructive forum cliques are to the community of a forum.

It's one thing to have a community with a shared interest, say SonyGAF/XboxGAF/MusicGAF, but when a small group of members form.a clique and isolate themselves from the community at large, things tend to get messy and confusing for the forum in general.

I'll give you an example: say you're in a thread and the topic at hand is either an inside joke between a group of members (i.e. GAFClique) or the thread is about a general topic but gets derailed/bombarded with inside jokes that only the GAFclique understands.

I was a part of this exact problem and it took me a long time to realize how terrible it was for other members to experience once I became an independent GAF member.

Like it or not, members and humans in general don't like to feel left behind on something, whether it's a joke, a running gag, or even a point of discussion/perspective.

I've experienced both sides and enjoyed both sides to the fullest, but I would say that being an inclusive & independent member of a forum is far more rewarding & satisfying than being part of an intimate yet exclusionary GAFClique.

Its called Gulags on Resetera

mean girls GIF

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Affinity groups are fairly natural, but as long as you treat most people with respect, like everyone else does on the internet, there really won't be any problems.

EDIT: I am too new to be in a clique, but I will join one if I can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom