• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev "Nintendo's out here making people look like fools on hardware that's literally tenfold what the Switch is"

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

download.png

"Each one of these systems would have been astounding if it was just it by itself. To have it all happening at the same time and all of it to be interconnecting and working and playing nice with each other while the entire Legend of Zelda game, the normal loop that we experience from Breath of the Wild, is just laying right on top, that doesn't seem possible."

"The things that Tears of the Kingdom is doing, it just shouldn't be possible on the Switch. It would be a monumental thing to do on current next-gen consoles, and yet somehow Nintendo has managed to do it on something that amounts to a five year old cellphone."

As Young points out, the Switch is "notorious for having a very weak CPU" and memory speed that's "incredibly slow compared to modern hardware", so to have all of this going on at once and "behaving predictably" is nothing short of miraculous. "Nintendo's out here making people look like fools on hardware that's literally tenfold what the Switch is," he concludes, "and they're doing things that people thought were impossible on modern hardware."

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

TL;DW. Dev discover physics and game systems

In all seriousness, we had more impressive physics systems running on fucking ps3s and x360s than many modern games. Saying this would be a monumental thing to do on current next-gen consoles is just ridiculous.

The game/level design however is indeed quite impressive, having all these systems working together is rather difficult to do, but thats hardware agnostic.

Aldric

Drop the persecution complex and childish console warring
Ummmm no sweatie, this is basically like Far Cry 3, I see no meaningful difference, Nintendo fanboys are just losing their shit because it's the first open world game they've played, play a real gayme like Elden Bing

Wai
TL;DW. Dev discover physics and game systems

In all seriousness, we had more impressive physics systems running on fucking ps3s and x360s than many modern games. Saying this would be a monumental thing to do on current next-gen consoles is just ridiculous.

The game/level design however is indeed quite impressive, having all these systems working together is rather difficult to do, but thats hardware agnostic.
Can’t wait to see the game you made…

TLZ

Banned
It's the publishers and devs.

That's why I'd love to see Nintendo games on powerful hardware. But Nintendo won't give me that :(

Not all Devs though. There are who are taking advantage of powerful hardware that is just impossible to be done on Switch.

Ozzie666

The making of this game would be an interesting documentary. Most companies would have struggled with introducing one or two systems into a sequel. Nintendo took pieces from Minecraft and other popular games, refined them and made them work. Not sure that's entirely the technical side of the system, but more about design brilliance, second to none. I think a game like Luigi's Mansion is a better example of pushing the system on a technical level, Zelda makes 'smart' sacrifices and artistic decisions to make this all happen. Nintendo should take a crack at the Nemesis system ;)

Overall, it's as impressive as the first Zelda Switch game and how the formula was changed, the game is familiar but still FRESH.

Between Zelda, the immortal Mario Kart and Animal Crossing releasing at the perfect time during the pandemic. When they hit it out of the park, they really hit it out of the park. It must drive other companies crazy.

I would be fascinated to see the ideas and systems they tried to put into the game but weren't happy with or had to remove.

It’s ps3 level hardware right?

I mean, there are a lot of really great looking games of that era still

TotK is an achievement for sure, but I think to proclaim it as a technical masterpiece is overstating it massively. The art style is specifically low key to allow that scale….but it still chugs all over the place

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Basically, devs are lost when you remove their havok plugin or internal copycat.

Anyone surprised?

They’re driven by marketing to have the best graphics and cinematic experience! Who the fuck cares about physics right? We paid for the Havok license right? Fucking use it! I hear gamers love ragdoll.

Nintendo has simply given up on hardware/graphic power races and looks at what’s available and how to tap into it.

Kudos for Monolith too for pushing that hardware.

We’re talking a game that schools nearly every devs and can run on a dozen watts. It’s not magic teraflops, just raw talent.

I hope they’re inspired by this and stop chasing cinematic experience for a fucking minute..

Roni

Gold Member
I wants to see other game developers tries deeper gameplay systems like TOTK and Kojima in MGSV

tired of this shallow crud with good graphics get right outta town with that
Unless hardcore gamers are willing to pay a premium for that, publishers are more than satisfied to go for breadth instead of depth and sell their game to a wider audience.

What's so weird about it? There are plenty of other physics based puzzles games out. Not knocking zelda at all, but why are people acting like it's a new thing. The devs trust their players to make it work the same way others do. It just happens to be incorporated into a beloved franchise.

Yoboman

I know games went light on physics systems the last ten years but are really that disconnected from the games being developed from 2004-2013 or so?

There was a bit push for emergent systems and physics based gameplay then

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
This game clicked entirely when I was in the middle of mapping out the Underground Depths. It was an amazing experience. This game goes hard in ways that most games just don't even fucking dare. The gameplay is amongst the best of any... I got so many armor sets and finding so much stuff... but, now... the last question(s) how are the bosses and Actual Dungeons?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What's so weird about it? There are plenty of other physics based puzzles games out. Not knocking zelda at all, but why are people acting like it's a new thing. The devs trust their players to make it work the same way others do. It just happens to be incorporated into a beloved franchise.

What other physics based puzzle games? Honest question.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Too bad it gets unappreciated because of the ancient abysmal hardware. Makes the game fucking ugly, and it doesn’t get the respect it probably deserves. At least not from me. I can’t look past it.

Last edited:
I know games went light on physics systems the last ten years but are really that disconnected from the games being developed from 2004-2013 or so?

There was a bit push for emergent systems and physics based gameplay then
Call of Duty 4 really jacked the whole market up. The money that was making over what Half-Life 2 accomplished and started was just too good to ignore.

Top Bottom