• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Armored Core 6 podcast is 20 minutes talking about the weather and then complaining about how the game is not enough like Elden Ring

Codes 208

I remember reading Game Informer as a teen young adult. That's what happens when old people get together, they talk about the weather and complain about the current affairs of the day.
It also doesnt help that from hasnt made a non-souls game since dark souls (which released just after the last armored core) creating a conflict in their install base. Like when people freaked out over bungie leaving ms and supporting sony despite the fact that theyve been supporting sony with marathon and oni before they even made halo

I wonder how much money these people make.
oPPaOAI.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol I swear..... every single game coming out this year I am saying "oh man this will be my goty". Forspoken, hogwarts, dead space, re4 remake, ff16(leading of course).
But we all really know that ac6 will be our goty. Finally a good year in gaming. Such a relief. And I dont even play nintendo games!

Quantum253

It also doesnt help that from hasnt made a non-souls game since dark souls (which released just after the last armored core) creating a conflict in their install base. Like when people freaked out over bungie leaving ms and supporting sony despite the fact that theyve been supporting sony with marathon and oni before they even made halo
Armore Core has been around a lot longer than Souls though. When Demon Souls came out, it was already a very niche type of game, while Cores had already become popular on PS2/PC, etc. Now that Souls (type games) have become mainstream/popular, I'm positive From will be working on something that will satisfy that crowd. I imagine Armor Core 6 has probably been in prod for many years and once out, the team can focus on something different.

Bartski

Gold Member
They just keep going.

some direct quotes:
Even though it stresses that AC6 is not a Soulsborne title, FROM has cultivated a particular fanbase in the last 10 years.
(....) the change in gameplay is jarring after more than half a dozen of Soulsborne games.
Notably, when you die, you just reload last checkpoint and try again, keeping all your resources; don't expect to have to run after some equivalent of "souls" (...)
Playing any souls game, even basic encounters with grunt enemies can be memorable, as can nearly every inch of the game world. Of what we've seen of AC6, even though the world looks great, the areas and encounters that arent boss fights lack the same emotional pull

Last edited:
Good.

The last thing I want is for Armored Core to play like Souls. Just friggin play a Souls game if you want that gameplay.
I don't get it. Dark Souls, the first one, is in my Top 5 games and even I need a fucking break after a decade+ of Souls Mania. Not to mention every third indie game is a Souls-like and so on.

I don't get why anyone would want a dev to be an XYZ Game factory. From are very talented, let them do their shit.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I knew it.

Game would have faired much better as an extraction shooter. Not a great sign when Game Informer is dampening the hype on a game they have a promotional deal with.

"Notably, when you die, you just reload last checkpoint and try again, keeping all your resources; don't expect to have to run after some equivalent of "souls" (...)"

This is unforgivable. Games that fail to create tension for the player also fail to create excitement. Without one you can't have the other.

OuterLimits

Lol I swear..... every single game coming out this year I am saying "oh man this will be my goty". Forspoken, hogwarts, dead space, re4 remake, ff16(leading of course).
But we all really know that ac6 will be our goty. Finally a good year in gaming. Such a relief. And I dont even play nintendo games!

I think we all know Forspoken will ultimately be your Game of the Year. Perhaps generation.

Ansphn

Imagine those are the people that get to play it early.

Yeah these journalists and influencers are absolutely horrible. Some of the worst I have ever experienced and I been gaming for a long time. That's why Sony is starting to pay celebrities instead to do their promotions and advertising.

simpatico

Phytoestrogens are a hell of a drug. Seed oil was a mistake. Guy in the upper left might not see 50.

Last edited:
Like when people freaked out over bungie leaving ms and supporting sony despite the fact that theyve been supporting sony with marathon and oni before they even made halo
As far as I know the only console release any of the Marathon games ever got was the 2007 Xbox 360 port. None of them were ever on Playstation.

MagnesD3

All I care about is that the combat, level design, enemy design and rewards you get are good, that's the only lessons I want from Souls in this.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I knew it.

Game would have faired much better as an extraction shooter. Not a great sign when Game Informer is dampening the hype on a game they have a promotional deal with.

"Notably, when you die, you just reload last checkpoint and try again, keeping all your resources; don't expect to have to run after some equivalent of "souls" (...)"

This is unforgivable. Games that fail to create tension for the player also fail to create excitement. Without one you can't have the other.
I'm almost sure this is a sarcastic post. But in case it isn't, you don't need resource loss to maintain tension. Games used to be tense before souls existed. Loss of progress is good enough provided gameplay is hard. Tarkov needs to take away resources because online fps combat is too weak to be tense on it's own.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I knew it.

Did someone extract your brain?

Imagine those are the people that get to play it early.

The average AC is too much gameplay exploration and too technical for a common game journalist. They'll absolutely tank its scores. They're already paving pretext for that. I'll bet $5 6/10s are inbound.

The primary point of criticism will likely be that its not Elden ring/Dark souls. One of the guys in that podcast already dropped that he "expected a transformation [to a souls-like]".

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm almost sure this is a sarcastic post. But in case it isn't, you don't need resource loss to maintain tension. Games used to be tense before souls existed. Loss of progress is good enough provided gameplay is hard. Tarkov needs to take away resources because online fps combat is too weak to be tense on it's own.

Tension is directly correlated to risk. If risk is minimal, then tension will be minimal.

It will depend on how far back they put you when you die in AC6. I'm not loving what I'm hearing at this point though.

killatopak

I knew it.

What? There is tension. You could literally have negative money when you finish the mission if you are dogshit.

It’s gonna be interesting to see the new comers.

z81bpKt.jpg

Nydius

Never understood why anyone gave GameInformer any credibility in the first place. They have always been a marketing arm for GameStop. Long form advertising masquerading as a magazine. If GameStop ever disappears I can only hope GameInformer goes along with them.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It really is ridiculous. I was listening to next lander, and quite frankly it’s amazing how little they know about games. They are always question themselves on wheather or not a game actually came out. I loved them on giant bomb, but it feels like they really don’t follow games much these days

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Never understood why anyone gave GameInformer any credibility in the first place. They have always been a marketing arm for GameStop. Long form advertising masquerading as a magazine. If GameStop ever disappears I can only hope GameInformer goes along with them.

They're not doing a great job of marketing if you watch the video. It could be a level of incompetence or this might be the first red flags we see out of this game. I personally don't put much stock into the Armored Core die hards who feel it's their duty to defend an unreleased game either though.

What? There is tension. You could literally have negative money when you finish the mission if you are dogshit.

Every game has tension. It's the amount of tension that's relevant. From what I gather the franchise has reduced risk+punishment considerably from the franchises first few installments though. We'll see. I hope you're right.

hyperbertha

They're not doing a great job of marketing if you watch the video. It could be a level of incompetence or this might be the first red flags we see out of this game. I personally don't put much stock into the Armored Core die hards who feel it's their duty to defend an unreleased game either though.

Every game has tension. It's the amount of tension that's relevant. From what I gather the franchise has reduced risk+punishment considerably from the franchises first few installments though. We'll see. I hope you're right.
If you want extreme tension go play diablo 4 or xcom 3 in Ironman mode.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I think the main problem here is that people are expecting this to be anything like From Software has made in the last 15 years - and it’s just not. For better or worse - but I think it is good for them to do different shit every once in awhile, even if this game sells %10 of what a Souls-like traditionally would.

i used to listen to GameInformer. but when I am more informed than these clowns....why then fuck should i even entertain the idea of listen to them....which is a shame because if it wasn't for Dan Tack i wouldn't played
X-Cum Enemy Inside.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If you talk about video games professionally, you should know more than the typical hobbyist, not less.

There are new media types on YouTube who put together hour long videos dissecting every detail of a game release, stay on top of all the news and report it accurately and thoroughly, stream themselves completing very difficult challenges that are cool to see as a fellow gamer, etc. They're all putting in the work and have earned respect.

"Gaming journalists," on the other hand...

Top Bottom