• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Armored Core 6 podcast is 20 minutes talking about the weather and then complaining about how the game is not enough like Elden Ring

Venom Snake

4b07hj.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We have either people complain the game is doesn't exactly play like old Armored Core and we have another people complain whey its not like Dark Souls.

I not longer can take opinion so called journalist or even opinion majority of people on internet seriously, it feels like people like to complain for sake of complaining.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game Informer rated Daemon x Machina 5.5/10. That's probably what they'll want to rate AC, maybe higher due to the fancy graphics. On Steam the game has 75% recommendations so even though that lines up with its 72 metacritic (yet these are different metrics, folks may recommend a 6/10 game and 10/10 game and that's the same for Steam) GI's 5.5 certainly doesn't. Then again, Armored Core does at least adopt some core control mechanics from the Souls games (lock on to auto-center your enemy and easily shoot and boost around/over/under them rather than frantically try to manually keep them in your sights and the lock radius/range of your weapons) so maybe it'll be rated even higher for being easier/more conventional to play. Hopefully it still feels good, mech-like and unique, not like any third person game with thrusters on top or more like Gundam VS than AC.

Last edited:
If you talk about video games professionally, you should know more than the typical hobbyist, not less.

There are new media types on YouTube who put together hour long videos dissecting every detail of a game release, stay on top of all the news and report it accurately and thoroughly, stream themselves completing very difficult challenges that are cool to see as a fellow gamer, etc. They're all putting in the work and have earned respect.

"Gaming journalists," on the other hand...

This so fucking hard.

Thank you, EviLore. Well said.

Luigi Mario

The average AC is too much gameplay exploration and too technical for a common game journalist. They'll absolutely tank its scores. They're already paving pretext for that. I'll bet $5 6/10s are inbound.

The primary point of criticism will likely be that its not Elden ring/Dark souls. One of the guys in that podcast already dropped that he "expected a transformation [to a souls-like]".
Very astute observation, I think a lot of reviewers will express disappointment in From Software not taking more ideas from their successful Souls formula and proclaim Armored Core 6 as a regression of their design philosophy.

Last edited:
My favorite (worst) memory of the epitome of poor game journalism in a podcast is that entire period of years where literally the host of Nintendo Voice Chat didn’t even own a Wii U (during the entire Wii U generation).

And then got canned for literally plagiarizing nearly everything he ever wrote for them.

CGNoire

And then you have the hardcore Armored core fans who say that AC6 is now too souls like..

Cat Balance GIF
My issue with AC6 is if it uses lockon or twin stick controls for aiming.

If it uses lockon then that to me is a clear cut red flag which suggests that they are infact contrary to what they have claimed aiming AC6 at Souls fans. The only reason to fundamentally change the combat that way is to emphasize "melee" combat. Now why would they do that? Hmmmmm..

As someone whos AC build was always focused on mid to long range where does that leave players like me? Dont even get me started on the slow ass speed which is probably also there to give more control at close range.

Im sorry but unless they reveal more footage to the contrary they look to be clearly selling out.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Armored Core does at least adopt some core control mechanics from the Souls games (lock on to auto-center your enemy and easily shoot and boost around/over/under them rather than frantically try to manually keep them in your sights and the lock radius/range of your weapons) so maybe it'll be rated even higher for being easier/more conventional to play
That actually sounds fun to you?
Really?

When was the last time you played a game with "lock on gunplay" that was even remotely engaging? Where is the skill for mid to long range builds exactly?

Zelda Lockon is only usefull and engaging if your fighting melee. At a distance it eliminates the need for skill completely.

MagnesD3

Really?

When was the last time you played a game with "lock on gunplay" that was even remotely engaging? Where is the skill for mid to long range builds exactly?

Zelda Lockon is only usefull and engaging if your fighting melee. At a distance it eliminates the need for skill completely.
The best way is the Sin and Punishment route, less damage for Lock on Shooting, so your incentivised to get good at aiming and only lick on when you need to reflect something perfectly.

Buggy Loop

My issue with AC6 is if it uses lockon or twin stick controls for aiming.

Did you see Vaati’s video of the preview? It’s no longer old AC lockon. There’s a soft lock where missiles will distribute equally to the number of enemies on screen, and a hard lock ala Souls that will focus camera/controls around that lock and all missiles will focus on that target.

If it uses lockon then that to me is a clear cut red flag which suggests that they are infact contrary to what they have claimed aiming AC6 at Souls fans.

Not sure I understand, do you mean if there’s « souls » lockon that it is aimed at souls fan? I think I’m getting confused with your lockon terminology

The only reason to fundamentally change the combat that way is to emphasize "melee" combat. Now why would they do that? Hmmmmm..

There’s a reason peoples called it Mechiro..

Melee, shields, parry, stager and counters are prevalent in the preview

As someone whos AC build was always focused on mid to long range where does that leave players like me?

On the death bed most likely

old man relax GIF

Dont even get me started on the slow ass speed which is probably also there to give more control at close range.

Im sorry but unless they reveal more footage to the contrary they look to be clearly selling out.

And even as an AC player (not hardcore though), I trust into all those decisions from the devs.

Really?

They’re taking a way more grounded approach than the stupidity of AC 4. It feels more like old AC in speeds but with modern melee. At one point, AC is janky as fuck. There’s no sense into believing that it’s planned to flip the controller to be better at a game. Those hardcore AC players will cry but I say good riddance. This might reinvigorate Armored Core franchise big time. I feel like the complaints are what a King’s Field fan would say when he saw how casual and easy Dark Souls is.

How do you sell this to mass market?

There’s no way that that this is marketable.

The encounters are a lot more closer and personal with fight mechanics that have parries/dodges/melee/shield. Which is not necessarily that they were not in previous Armored core games, but they had a weird sense of scale where enemies were just basically target reticles or MONSTER sized mechs and they were bullet sponges with janky animations and controls. The old environment just felt like this is an arena... right let's sprinkle buildings here and there. No cohesion in the world scale.

From this target mess jank (which had a crowd, me partially)

tumblr-pxkwq8l82-J1uqxepco1-500.gif

To this :

0PufjLJ.gif

I’ll take the new. At the very least, I’ll form an opinion after playing it 100%

killatopak

They’re taking a way more grounded approach than the stupidity of AC 4. It feels more like old AC in speeds but with modern melee. At one point, AC is janky as fuck. There’s no sense into believing that it’s planned to flip the controller to be better at a game. Those hardcore AC players will cry but I say good riddance. This might reinvigorate Armored Core franchise big time. I feel like the complaints are what a King’s Field fan would say when he saw how casual and easy Dark Souls is.
I always thought the ridiculous speeds in AC4 was a consequence of also developing Another Century 3/R. At some point, they probably used a lot of the same systems. I miss Another Century more than AC but because of licenses, it’s impossible for that to exist outside of Asia/JP version.

Naked Lunch

Gaming "journalists" of today likely never even played a game before the PS360 era.
Pretty soon - they will have only known open world games.
I cant take any of them seriously.

The call and "concern/worry" and question bombardment about the new Armored Core not being Soulslike has been there from the very second the game was announced.
Its pathetic.

Trying to shoehorn a dev into one type of game - especially given From Software's vast history - is incredibly stupid.
From proved they can make popular and profitable games now - theyve earned the right to experiment on their past franchises - or really any new game idea.
Armored Core in particular really needed to make a return - been far too long.
From Software themselves may have gotten burned out on the Soul formula - and this is probably pretty refreshing for the team.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

If you talk about video games professionally, you should know more than the typical hobbyist, not less.

There are new media types on YouTube who put together hour long videos dissecting every detail of a game release, stay on top of all the news and report it accurately and thoroughly, stream themselves completing very difficult challenges that are cool to see as a fellow gamer, etc. They're all putting in the work and have earned respect.

"Gaming journalists," on the other hand...
Exactly, that comment of "was it ever big in the US"... Your the journalist do your research I'm not doing it for you.

Alexios

Really?
Just talking facts, stop projecting or improve your reading comprehension.

How do you sell this to mass market?
Of course low budget low tech AC games were janky, that doesn't mean the only way to polish and improve on them is to throw all the concept and gameplay out and make it Souls at range, that's pretty silly, gamers can aim/dodge manually, popular fps/tps games afford this level of control.

Monster Hunter is largely a melee combat game and still managed to become popular to circles it wasn't alreeady without caving and going full on lock on like other games (and its own clones), I'd think it's doable for a mech game. Not that every series/game has to chase after the mainstream.

Zelda style lock on was made famous just after the first AC anyway, with Ocarina of Time's release, if they wanted that they could have copied back on PS1, 2, 3, there's 0 reason to pretend lock on is some vastly newer more modern development deviced for their own Souls series or something, lol.

It's not like people are saying Armored Core should become simy like MechWarrior when it never was that, just that they didn't have to make it Souls with guns or Gundam VS with less melee. Not that it can't be fun. Souls is fun. Some people wanted AC/not just more Souls with another theme skin.

The other AC, Ace Combat, managed to have another pretty good, pretty popular, pretty modern and pretty renowned entry without such "modernisms" (not) applied beyond just pushing out a good overall game in the style it always had, ditching experiments with automatic lock on & maneuvers.

Last edited:
I’ll take the new. At the very least, I’ll form an opinion after playing it 100%
Coming from someone that's played the series since the PS1, the only thing that bugged me was the target lock and you can see an instant 180 degree turn. Turning speed was an important stat in AC duels especially for the slower mechs.

I always thought the ridiculous speeds in AC4 was a consequence of also developing Another Century 3/R. At some point, they probably used a lot of the same systems. I miss Another Century more than AC but because of licenses, it’s impossible for that to exist outside of Asia/JP version.
Well SRW30 was able to be release globally through Steam but I doubt Bamco is interested in ACE as a series anymore and even then I really doubt From will go back to it cheaply when they have the Souls cashcow now.

Buggy Loop

Coming from someone that's played the series since the PS1, the only thing that bugged me was the target lock and you can see an instant 180 degree turn. Turning speed was an important stat in AC duels especially for the slower mechs.

I don’t remember which YouTuber, I guess it’s Vaati, he sees that different mech build will have different turn rates.

CGNoire

There’s a reason peoples called it Mechiro..

Melee, shields, parry, stager and counters are prevalent in the preview
Then it might as well of been a DS mod with jetpacks and boosters cause its gonna feel pretty darn similar. Which if they where honest with there claims of it retaining its gameplay feel wouldnt be the case. There werent honest.

They’re taking a way more grounded approach than the stupidity of AC 4.
This isnt a fair comparison. Not only is that player in that gif using an ultra-fast build the gif you showed is from one vs one battles which play out significantly more chaotic than the missions do which have alot more exploration to them as well as a mix of far near and close up encounters. My build was pretty darn fast and yet it was pretty rare for me to engage in combat that was that chaotic. That is just a worse case scenario. Im sure you can break any From Game by showing the extremes like that.

The old environment just felt like this is an arena... right let's sprinkle buildings here and there. No cohesion in the world scale.
Once again that was only the case in the one vs one areanas not during the campaign.

Im sorry I just dont see how anyone can look at that gameplay reveal and not see that it basicly plays like DS with thrusters. Which as a long time AC fan is Bullshit.

Im still gonna get it because mech games need as much support as possible and hopefully it will influence some copycats from the big AAA devs who will give there projects a proper budget.

Last edited:

Alexios

Maybe Project Six will do for Armored Core what Project Wingman did for Ace Combat. Both kind of unlucky indie efforts since the official series got sequels while they probably thought they're dead when starting development.

Last edited:
Traditional video game journalism can't die fast enough.
It probably won't. At this point. I view them as just another part of this conglomerate of far-left, marxist outlets disguised as something they are not. They fall into the same category as NGO, labor unions, environmental campaigners, social workers offices and so on. People who "work" there can do this forever without making a cent. They're in it for the political activism, not to make a living.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Maybe Project Six will do for Armored Core what Project Wingman did for Ace Combat. Both kind of unlucky indie efforts since the official series got sequels while they probably thought they're dead when starting development.
Or just could just wait and play Armoured Core VI which coming out pretty soon and looking really good.

Dr. Suchong

Lasted about 30 seconds.
They don't deserve to play ACVI. It looks magnificent. I really want to jump into the series based off the trailer/gameplay.
I wonder if they'll whinge about the next Mario game not being enough like TOTK?

mortal

Gold Member
The guy said it feels/plays like a fucking PS3 game.

LMAO its about time the industry started calling out From and their combat.

Great podcast!
What does that even mean?
I can understand making reference to past console gens with respect to outdated visuals, but aren't there plenty of PS3 games that are fun to play?

Top Bottom