• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished AFFC last night. Some thoughts.

-I really enjoyed the new POV chapters from
Cersei and Jaime.
Their characters just got so much deeper. And the made up for the lack of the other major characters that were not in this book.

- It was interesting that he chose not to have
Tyrion
in this book since his plot line was the most interesting at the end of ASOS. I was at least hoping that they would sprinkle in some mentions of where
he
was throughout the book, but nothing. I know
Cersei thinks he's in highgarden but who knows.

- The new characters from
Dorne
were not talked about enough for me to get really into them. Everytime we went back to them it took me some time to remember what was happening.

- The new characters from
Iron Islands
were awesome. Brings a whole new dynamic and powerful piece to the puzzle.

- I really wish he would just have some self restraint and not write so much so he can include all of what he is aiming for in one book, instead of having to split it up into two. He needs to chill with all the geneology of EVERY SINGLE PERSON that is ever mentioned. I feel like a whole third of this book could have been cut out. Yes, the climaxes for each character are worth it in the end, it just takes way too long to build up to them.

Dysun

Hard to reply without talking about the next book, but keep reading

Will agree with you that Cersei and Jaime have good climaxes but that's it

Am I right in assuming that none of the characters stories in AFFC are extended in ADWD, since they deal with two different sets of people?

Or in other words, where the characters in AFFC are at in their place in time will be where everyone else is at in the same place in time by the end of ADWD?

GhaleonEB

Come on now. AFFC
The tables twisting on Cersei and Jaime giving 0 fucks about it isn't a Climax? Brienne seeing Catelyn again, then dying? The Martell's having an Onyx Dragon Coin (whatever that means.)

No jaw-droppers like ASOS but pretty solid endings.

AFFC
I finished the book a couple days ago. I found the Jaime/Cercei ending points pretty damn satisfying. The rest left me dangling (so to speak), but not really any worse than the previous books.

I do wish GRRM had NOT revealed Stoneheart at the end of ASoS. It would have made the rumors of her and her final appearance much more dramatic. The ending to Brianne's tale was dumb, though. Lots of wasted space. Kinda hope that one word saves her (haven't read ADWD).

hoos30

Come on now. AFFC
The tables twisting on Cersei and Jaime giving 0 fucks about it isn't a Climax? Brienne seeing Catelyn again, then dying? The Martell's having an Onyx Dragon Coin (whatever that means.)

Almost by definition those are not climaxes; they are mileposts on the way to further character & plot development.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Come on now. AFFC

I agree, unlike ADWD, AFFC was a satisfying stopping point for an ongoing series.

AFFC
I finished the book a couple days ago. I found the Jaime/Cercei ending points pretty damn satisfying. The rest left me dangling (so to speak), but not really any worse than the previous books.

I do wish GRRM had NOT revealed Stoneheart at the end of ASoS. It would have made the rumors of her and her final appearance much more dramatic. The ending to Brianne's tale was dumb, though. Lots of wasted space. Kinda hope that one word saves her (haven't read ADWD).

Any speculation on what that might have been?

desh

Can someone answer this question for me: did Bran warg into Summer and Shaggydog simultaneously when he went to help Jon's escape from the wildlings? Or did he just warg into Summer and Shaggydog followed the leader?

Massa

Can someone answer this question for me: did Bran warg into Summer and Shaggydog simultaneously when he went to help Jon's escape from the wildlings? Or did he just warg into Summer and Shaggydog followed the leader?

The latter.

GRRM on Red Viper casting

I wasn’t present for Pedro Pascal’s audition, but I understand that he really killed it with his reading. And since his casting was announced, the producer of another TV show on which he appeared recently has written me to say how terrific Pascal is, and to congratulate us on the casting. So I suspect that he will turn out to be a wonderful Red Viper.

I do know that David and Dan and HBO do favor having a racially and ethnically diverse cast on the series. It is true that we’ve lost several black characters who appear in the novels (Chataya and Alayaya, Jalabhar Xho, Strong Belwas), but to balance that, characters like Salladhor Saan and Xaro Xhoan Daxos, both white in the books, have been played by black actors. Missandei as well, though in the books the Naathi are golden-skinned, not white.

As for the Dornishmen, well, though by and large I reject one to one analogies, I’ve always pictured the “salty Dornish” as being more Mediterranean than African in appearance; Greek, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, etc. Dark hair and eyes, olive skin. Pedro Pascal is Chilean. (Check out Amok’s version of the Red Viper, that’s how I saw him. Or Magali Villenueve’s beautiful and sexy portrait of Princess Arianne).

When and if the show introduces.... {{{ ASOS
Prince Oberyn’s daughters, the Sand Snakes,
}}} .... I expect we will see the same diversity as in the books, ranging from Tyene (blond and blue-eyed) to Sarella (light brown skin, as her mother was a Summer Islander). And I expect that the crew of the CINNAMON WIND will all be cast with black actors…

Strax

Probably nothing buuuuuuut Ryan Gosling was seen driving in Reykjavik 2 days ago with the owners of the icelandic production company that is also handling GOT stuff in Iceland.

Speevy

Banned
Probably nothing buuuuuuut Ryan Gosling was seen driving in Reykjavik 2 days ago with the owners of the icelandic production company that is also handling GOT stuff in Iceland.

ides.jpg

n5022e1259c8ac.jpg

ides.jpg

n5022e1259c8ac.jpg

ides.jpg

n5022e1259c8ac.jpg

REAL HUMAN BEING AND A REAL HERO REAL HUMAN BEING AND A REAL HERO REAL HUMAN BEING AND A REAL HERO

Argh!

After taking a hiatus from the first three episodes, I decided to come back and finish it off...Just wow.

I'm disappointed in myself though. I stopped to read the books, and I'm about 20% through Book 1...I just couldn't contain myself.

Sadly, I'm hearing that Book 3/Season 3 is the high point of the series, so I'm kicking myself for not enjoying the books first...but how the hell was I supposed to last that long?

Anyways, going to continue the books. I hope I can finish Book 4 by Season 4.

Any hope that the last two books will tie everything up/be better than what I hear about Book 4 and 5? I'm curious as to how people feel about the order of the books' greatness. Does it drain on you guys after 5 books, or are you thirsty for more?

Argh!

After taking a hiatus from the first three episodes, I decided to come back and finish it off...Just wow.

I'm disappointed in myself though. I stopped to read the books, and I'm about 20% through Book 1...I just couldn't contain myself.

Sadly, I'm hearing that Book 3/Season 3 is the high point of the series, so I'm kicking myself for not enjoying the books first...but how the hell was I supposed to last that long?

Any hope that the last two books will tie everything up/be better than what I hear about Book 4 and 5? I'm curious as to how people feel about the order of the books' greatness. Does it drain on you guys after 5 books, or are you thirsty for more?

The fourth and fifth books are good. In fact I've talked to many show viewers who like them a lot more than those who were readers before the show came out; they tend to like certain characters who aren't particularly popular with book viewers, thanks to strong portrayals on the show.

I'd say go for it. Just remember the fourth book is the least appreciated mainly because it doesn't feature most of the series popular characters.

Argh!

It is true that most consider book 3 the high point in the series, but Season 3 did not cover all of book 3, still plenty of juicy content from book 3 in the upcoming season 4.

devilhawk

The fourth and fifth books are good. In fact I've talked to many show viewers who like them a lot more than those who were readers before the show came out; they tend to like certain characters who aren't particularly popular with book viewers, thanks to strong portrayals on the show.

I'd say go for it. Just remember the fourth book is the least appreciated mainly because it doesn't feature most of the series popular characters.

Eh, I think after finally digesting the fifth, GAF is slowly conceding that AFfC > ADwD. I was pleasantly surprised the last time this came up in a thread.

It is true that most consider book 3 the high point in the series, but Season 3 did not cover all of book 3, still plenty of juicy content from book 3 in the upcoming season 4.

Oh good, good. It sucks being torn between book and show as both are very good.

I'm assuming nothing is going to top the
Red Wedding
from Episode 9, but I do love the book.

Without spoiling anything, how much of book 3 is missing? Does season 3 end off where book 3 ends?

It's unfortunate that I've rushed through season 3, but I fear I'd have read a spoiler somewhere or just would not have made it... Well, since it's a downtime, and since it's summer, I hope I can read far enough that the content is truly new, and not just a walkthrough of what I've seen on TV. A shame that I didn't read the books first and experience the story that way.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Without spoiling anything, how much of book 3 is missing? Does season 3 end off where book 3 ends?

Nowhere near it. S4 will finish off what's left of book 3, (probably) with an undetermined amount of books 4&5 mixed in.

What is y'alls favorite scene of the TV series so far?

From memory I'm tempted to say the Varys/Littlefinger exchange from "The Climb".
There were several with Sean Bean in S1 that just knocked me on the ass at how fabulous they were.

Strax

Do you have a source on this?

http://www.visir.is/gosling-ber-dot-i-bil-a-seljaveginum/article/2013130709571

Google translate

"The accompanying picture was achieved by Hollywood star Ryan Gosling, where he was to load stuff in the car Seljaveginum. True North has offices and studios in Seljavegi 2, and it is probable that he was in the area because of it.

Tintin Startled by Design House Freezing managed image of a warrior as he was outside the house. "He was there to load stuff into the boot of a car. What struck me perhaps surprising was how he seemed very ordinary, "Tintin says and adds:" He was actually quite incredibly handsome. "The image appears on Instagram page design house Freezing.

Gosling is on a mission in the country, he landed in the country yesterday morning."

DaMan121

Recently caught up with all three seasons, and even went through the OT threads. Brilliant show.

Before I caught Episode 9, I was aware that something huge was going to happen, so I was on pins and needles watching it - I think that feeling of dred was way worse than if I was completely suprised. Anyway, I figured the huge event was going to happen at the wedding, so the humorous tone during it made it even more uncomfortable!

Can't wait for Season 4! Freys and Boltons, fuck you!

Also, I kinda spoiled myself by looking at the A Storm of Swords wiki: Will they
bring back Catelyn in the show too?

Nowhere near it. S4 will finish off what's left of book 3, (probably) with an undetermined amount of books 4&5 mixed in.

Crap. I will stop reading the wiki now.

Eh, I think after finally digesting the fifth, GAF is slowly conceding that AFfC > ADwD. I was pleasantly surprised the last time this came up in a thread.

Since when is this happening lol? I certainly haven't seen much of that argument. I enjoy AFFC especially the King's Landing chapters, but I don't think any of it compares to the northern chapters in ADWD.

AFFC is certainly the best written book in the series though.

Since when is this happening lol? I certainly haven't seen much of that argument. I enjoy AFFC especially the King's Landing chapters, but I don't think any of it compares to the northern chapters in ADWD.

I haven't finished ADWD cause it's draggin' ass, some GAFfer give me encouragement...

devilhawk

I said it was slow, haha. I just recall earlier in the thread (maybe it was the one in OT Community) that there was good many people that liked 4 over 5 where previously it didn't seem as such. Maybe the right set of posters showed up that day?

ADwD
The Mereen
chapters were just so awful. Plus, the editing was, in my eyes, by far the worst in the series.

I still thought it was a quality read though, and the negatives were mostly magnified by practically every storyline being left unfinished by seemingly a single chapter.

I said it was slow, haha. I just recall earlier in the thread (maybe it was the one in OT Community) that there was good many people that liked 4 over 5 where previously it didn't seem as such. Maybe the right set of posters showed up that day?

ADwD
The Mereen
chapters were just so awful. Plus, the editing was, in my eyes, by far the worst in the series.

I still thought it was a quality read though, and the negatives were mostly magnified by practically every storyline being left unfinished by seemingly a single chapter.

I'm re-reading it now for the first time. About 320 pages in.

It starts off quite good, to me. Jon executing Slynt, Bran warging Hodor against the wights and meeting the child of the forest, Tyrion quickly figuring out who Griff is, etc. I just finished the chapter where Connington reveals "Aegon" to the Golden Company. All that stuff was interesting to me. I think the spoiler chapters certainly hurt by spoiling people to multiple major events (especially the Young Griff stuff) years before release, so when we got the book none of that made the impact Martin intended. I have a feeling the same will happen with TWOW to a degree...but I can't help myself, I've read every sample chapter thus frar...

Dany...dunno. I've enjoyed her initial chapters. I'll probably move this discussion to the spoiler thread but the re-read has made me wonder how her story could have been made more interesting. There's so much war and fighting going on in Essos, but we never see it up close; Daario attacks the lamb men, the butcher king in Astapor challenging Yunkai, Qarth declares war on Dany, multiple armies are massing against Mereen...yet we don't see any of it first hand.

In short, I think something should have happened before the assassination attempt on Dany. Perhaps a full scale revolt in Mereen, with Barriston POVs of him and the Shavepate wrecking harpies. Showing the bloodshed so directly would make Hizdar's marriage offer more appealing to Dany; maybe have him join Barriston and fight against the harpies. That way the city is pacified in a far more interesting fashion that the behind-the-scenes deals Hizdar strikes. IMO it would also make the opening of the slave pits a bigger event: Dany wouldn't just be celebrating a marriage, she'd be celebrating the defeat of her enemy....and then boom, assassination attempt.

One thing I enjoy about the Dany chapters is Martin's consistent worldbuilding. In another series a character might end the slave trade and that's the end of the story. Dany ends the slave trade and wrecks an entire continent's economy in a believable fashion. Personally I thought that aspect of things was fascinating.

devilhawk

I'm re-reading it now for the first time. About 320 pages in.

It starts off quite good, to me. Jon executing Slynt, Bran warging Hodor against the wights and meeting the child of the forest, Tyrion quickly figuring out who Griff is, etc. I just finished the chapter where Connington reveals "Aegon" to the Golden Company. All that stuff was interesting to me. I think the spoiler chapters certainly hurt by spoiling people to multiple major events (especially the Young Griff stuff) years before release, so when we got the book none of that made the impact Martin intended. I have a feeling the same will happen with TWOW to a degree...but I can't help myself, I've read every sample chapter thus frar...

Dany...dunno. I've enjoyed her initial chapters. I'll probably move this discussion to the spoiler thread but the re-read has made me wonder how her story could have been made more interesting. There's so much war and fighting going on in Essos, but we never see it up close; Daario attacks the lamb men, the butcher king in Astapor challenging Yunkai, Qarth declares war on Dany, multiple armies are massing against Mereen...yet we don't see any of it first hand.

In short, I think something should have happened before the assassination attempt on Dany. Perhaps a full scale revolt in Mereen, with Barriston POVs of him and the Shavepate wrecking harpies. Showing the bloodshed so directly would make Hizdar's marriage offer more appealing to Dany; maybe have him join Barriston and fight against the harpies. That way the city is pacified in a far more interesting fashion that the behind-the-scenes deals Hizdar strikes. IMO it would also make the opening of the slave pits a bigger event: Dany wouldn't just be celebrating a marriage, she'd be celebrating the defeat of her enemy....and then boom, assassination attempt.

One thing I enjoy about the Dany chapters is Martin's consistent worldbuilding. In another series a character might end the slave trade and that's the end of the story. Dany ends the slave trade and wrecks an entire continent's economy in a believable fashion. Personally I thought that aspect of things was fascinating.
Your concise summary and suggestion read much better than I would have recalled. Since it was intertwined with POV's from the much better written North, the fact that it had 5 (nearly 6) POV's definitely didn't help.

Also, I kinda spoiled myself by looking at the A Storm of Swords wiki: Will they
bring back Catelyn in the show too?

I can't see how they wouldn't. Its the biggest megaton in the series thus far for me. (Still haven't read ADWD.)

*Edit. Yeah, stay far away from the Wiki's. Even though the ASOIF Wiki is really good with breaking down each person's involvement based on the books, the leading paragraph for each character will sometimes throw you off. ASOS
The leading paragraph for Tommen says King Tommon. Which is a pretty huge spoiler

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think that's quite true.
The preview chapters he had on his website did not include the one where we are introduced to Griff and Young Griff, right? Although maybe they were read at the events, I dunno, I admit I didn't really check those. The only preview chapter I knew a bit about that wasn't on GRRM's site was a Davos excerpt at White Harbour that really didn't say much. Aegon and Jon Connington came as a complete surprise to me. I knew the theories about Aegon being alive but never really believed in them, though considering how coy GRRM was about him I should have known. Still, I found it less than believable that Tyrion figured out their identities so quickly.

I did like that, too. And you're right, [ADwD]
a lot of political turmoil does happen, but since we experience it only second-hand it kind of diminishes the impact and the interest. I've always enjoyed the POV structure but it really did negatively impact the Meereen storyline (aka the Meereneese knot). He should have used Barristan's POV more, IMO.

I don't think that's quite true.
The preview chapters he had on his website did not include the one where we are introduced to Griff and Young Griff, right? Although maybe they were read at the events, I dunno, I admit I didn't really check those. The only preview chapter I knew a bit about that wasn't on GRRM's site was a Davos excerpt at White Harbour that really didn't say much. Aegon and Jon Connington came as a complete surprise to me. I knew the theories about Aegon being alive but never really believed in them, though considering how coy GRRM was about him I should have known. Still, I found it less than believable that Tyrion figured out their identities so quickly.
[/SPOILER]

ADWD (let's move this to the non spoiler thread btw)
Tyrion's first two chapters were released between 2006 and 2010. Westeros figured out who Griff and Young Griff were almost immediately after the chapters were released. IIRC the Blackfyre theory came later thanks to Elio and Linda, but I had heard the theory long before ADWD got a release date.

In hindsight I'm rather shocked Martin released the second chapter so early; Tyrion's first chapter features a hint about Young Griff (the clothes of the small child that Tyrion finds), but that doesn't become noteworthy until after reading the second chapter and putting the pieces together (Illyrio's wife, alleged sellswords being given gifts, etc).

Its been about a month since I finished AFFC, starting to get antsy to get into ADWD.

Then I'll finally be able to join you guys in the unmarked spoilers thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom