• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Pass Ultimate Makes up 70 ~ 80% of Total Game Pass Subscribers

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just as shocking as finding out that the most number of PS Plus subscribers are on the most expensive Premium tier.

From the recent EC summary, it states that 70~80% of total game pass subs are on the Ultimate plan.

Unfortunately the total # of subs is redacted.

F2TtxHdWcAEVFMv

I do not find it shocking that most people are on GPU, it offers the customer the most value out of all GP tiers. I really find it hard to believe that the number of PS+ premium subscribers exceeds the number of PS+ extra subscribers as PS+ premium really does not offer enough marginal value over extra to justify the higher price.

T-Cake

Not too worried over here as a PC Game Pass-only subber after a couple of years of Ultimate. MS seem to be very keen on keeping PC users happy as there was no price increase and EA Play is included as well.

Chukhopops

I actually find it really surprising, only reason I do GPU instead of normal GP is because I play on PC as well. Gold is kinda useless at this point.

Do that many people really play non-F2P games online to make Gold relevant to them?

Ozriel

M$FT
Just as shocking as finding out that the most number of PS Plus subscribers are on the most expensive Premium tier.

I’m an Extra subscriber. Can’t imagine why so many people are on Premium.

I actually find it really surprising, only reason I do GPU instead of normal GP is because I play on PC as well. Gold is kinda useless at this point.

Do that many people really play non-F2P games online to make Gold relevant to them?

Ultimate gives you EA Play, Gold, Cloud and PC play.

DaGwaphics

The rumors of the upcoming service persisted for quite a while before launch. I think a lot of people picked up PSNow subs for dirt cheap (could be had from a lot of sites for $25/yr) and those got converted to PS+ Premium.

I will definitely downgrade to Extra when it comes time, still have quite a bit of the premium left though.

Did some new information get released about the PS+ Extra/Premium breakdown? In March 2023 Sony was saying Extra/Premium only accounted for 14m of their 47m PS+ subscribers.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I'm not surprised. Conversion loopholes convert to GPU. It also offers the best value. I do not believe there are many PC only users and console only isn't a great deal compared to GPU.

adamsapple

Did some new information get released about the PS+ Extra/Premium breakdown? In March 2023 Sony was saying Extra/Premium only accounted for 14m of their 47m PS+ subscribers.

No, I was referencing the same thing, I guess Essential is technically the most, but that is the basic tier that's needed for Online, their Gold equivalent.

Between Extra and Premium, Premium has the higher sub counts.

Nubulax

From the recent EC summary, it states that 70~80% of total game pass subs are on the Ultimate plan.

Unfortunately the total # of subs is redacted.

F2TtxHdWcAEVFMv

of course number of subs is redacted.. why is MS so shit scared of releasing that number
The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Nubulax

The last time we got numbers was when the activision acquisition was announced, maybe we'll get it when/if it closes.
Im sure once that closes and they get a ton of people going from gold to a gamepass option they will prob release it ya...especially with Starfield coming out to push PC gamepass

TrueGrime

Ultimate gives you EA Play, Gold, Cloud and PC play.

If I'm not mistaken, Gold completely goes away in lieu of GP Core, but it's still confusing as shit as to what you get exactly with these options other than that's seen here. Or maybe it's just this.

q4vOHhe.png

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A first time console gamer buying an XSS with with a yeart of Gamepass Core is actually a great value. That to me is where Gamepass has it's true value.

jorgejjvr

I get it for gamepass, but not sure why Premium is the go to for psn fans. Extra seems to be the way, that's what I have

jorgejjvr

Question does Core come with Online? Just like Gold did? Or do you need ultimate to play online?

If so, that's a big jump in $$$ for anyone just using gold today

Pelao

Well, Ultimate costs ten dollars a month on the Xbox store in my country, only 2 dollars more than regular Gamepass, and they do quite a few promotions. For example, this month it only cost me 60 cents, so it's a pretty good deal.
I don't think I would pay for Ultimate if it cost what it does in the US. The catalog is kind of mediocre.

Not shocking at all considering regular Game Pass is redundant for most Xbox players due to no online component.
Exactly. MS Still holding the online component hostage for the higher tier(GPU) when online isn't in the mid-tier(regular Gamepass) is the problem here.

reinking

Gold Member
Love how people say the conversion is a loophole/exploit when Microsoft literally advertised it.
The conversion isn't the loophole/exploit. Getting cheaper gold subs from a different market is. That is probably why MS changed the conversion rates.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If I'm not mistaken, Gold completely goes away in lieu of GP Core, but it's still confusing as shit as to what you get exactly with these options other than that's seen here. Or maybe it's just this.

q4vOHhe.png
The fact that online play isn't included in tier 2 still makes me irrationally angry every time I see this

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I mean I am part of the problem for both here ...
but GPU is less surprising of the two - MS has been giving it away for less than price of standard PC GP (which has been the cheapest official price tier so far) through the Gold Conversion.

I'd say wait and see 2 years from now when conversions expire but by then MS will have acquired most of the industry so everyone will be on GPU...

yurinka

Exactly. MS Still holding the online component hostage for the higher tier(GPU) when online isn't in the mid-tier(regular Gamepass) is the problem here.
Well, it's a marketing trick to make people upgrade to the higher tier instead of to the middle one.

The conversion isn't the loophole/exploit. Getting cheaper gold subs from a different market is. That is probably why MS changed the conversion rates.
Did MS announce how the conversion from GP core to GPU is going to be now? Like pricing, ratio, etc.

Because maybe they kill the super cheap deal if they end adding the ABK games there.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Did MS announce how the conversion from GP core to GPU is going to be now? Like pricing, ratio, etc.

Because maybe they kill the super cheap deal if they end adding the ABK games there.

Yes they have already said the conversion will change from 1 : 1 to 3 : 2.

3 : 2 will also apply when converting regular game pass, or PC game pass, to Ultimate.

They haven't updated the page to reflect Core yet, but I'm assuming it will be the same 3 : 2 for that as well.

yurinka

Yes they have already said the conversion will change from 1 : 1 to 3 : 2.

3 : 2 will also apply when converting regular game pass, or PC game pass, to Ultimate.

They haven't updated the page to reflect Core yet, but I'm assuming it will be the same 3 : 2 for that as well.
Ok thanks, I knew they changed the ratio recently. But didn't see anything mentioning if they were going to keep it or change it once they move to GP Core. I assume that they didn't say anything for GP Core is because it won't change and they'll keep the 3:2.

And at the same time, I didn't see anything about the pricing of the upgrade.

IDappa

All for a dollar aswell.

But seriously, it makes sense. Most people play multiplayer and and also want access to gamepass. Pc gamepass and xcloud is the extra bonus console people can dabble with when they feel the need.

supernova8

Banned
Not shocking at all considering regular Game Pass is redundant for most Xbox players due to no online component.

Wouldn’t even be able to play Sea of Thieves or Grounded and you’d be gutting games like MCC.

MS blatantly rail roading console players in to the top tier.
To be fair pretty much all companies in all industries do it so I won't hold a grudge about it.

It's like when you go to the cinema and the small and medium-size popcorns are so close to the large in price and yet the large has way more popcorn. Obviously pushing people toward large and then anyone who buys small.... well they just get a bigger profit margin.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Having native PS3 emulation on the premier tier on PS6 will be great, until then it seems a bad investment over Extra.
I'd pay to be able to play my PS3 collection on a modern console. My PS3 works fine and all but it would be nice to not have to hook it up.

bender

What time is it?
The classics and trials are probably my favorite thing about PS+ service but I'm not sure it is worth the cost. Thankfully they capped the upgrade fee to $149.99 no matter your subscription length so I converted my 10+ years to that tier.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I do not find it shocking that most people are on GPU, it offers the customer the most value out of all GP tiers. I really find it hard to believe that the number of PS+ premium subscribers exceeds the number of PS+ extra subscribers as PS+ premium really does not offer enough marginal value over extra to justify the higher price.

This is where people just don't understand the psychology of most humans. We don't want to feel like we are missing out. So the best way to do that is to get the highest tier. Especially if it's just a few more dollars per month.

Top Bottom