• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameindustry.biz: Best Selling Games 2020

ethomaz

Banned
GI20_Infographic_Year_in_numbers_AW_v3.jpg

Props to EA. They are able to suck people dry each year and people keep coming back to them for the same game with minor differences.

Peer pressure. You don't really miss out on much gameplay by not upgrading to the next, say, FIFA immediately, but when the community and friends you play with do, it becomes a no-brainer to upgrade.

Amiga

- Ghost of Tsushima more discussed than TLOU2. the quality of GoT beat the controversy of TLOU2.
- Ghost of Tsushima, the new IP from a good but not yet great as of then studio almost beat TLOU2 in sales.
- games like Avengers, FIFA and the TLOU2 prove sales are not a sign of quality or good reception.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Marvel Avengers and Ring Fit cracked the top 10 depending on the region. I guess they sold much better than I thought they would.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not including digital sales for Animal Crossing? So, basically confirming its the best selling title of the year, then. Thing is a fucking juggernaut.

itsnotme

- Ghost of Tsushima more discussed than TLOU2. the quality of GoT beat the controversy of TLOU2.
- Ghost of Tsushima, the new IP from a good but not yet great as of then studio almost beat TLOU2 in sales.
- games like Avengers, FIFA and the TLOU2 prove sales are not a sign of quality or good reception.
Dam what a huge hate boner you have for TLOU2. TLOU2 won many GOTY awards I think it's quality was good enough.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
You sound like someone who desperately wants to be correct.

Face it, TLOU2’s quality beat GoT’s quality. That shows in any number of metrics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Hyde

Sad to see physical going down the shitter. This is probably the last generation before digital becomes the norm and physical is relegated to niche releases from the likes of Limited Run, Iam8bit, superrare games etc.

Bodomism

Banned
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold more in 2020 than the biggest playstation 4 exclusive is probably the biggest news here.

MK8D is going to sell around 50 million units alone on the Nintendo Switch.

Woopah

Great numbers, the video game industry is in a very healthy place right now and I think that will continue for the next few years to come.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold more in 2020 than the biggest playstation 4 exclusive is probably the biggest news here.

MK8D is going to sell around 50 million units alone on the Nintendo Switch.
MK8 on the Wii U damn near sold more than the biggest PS4 exclusive. How is this news?

Extremely interesting. 60% of Switch owners have a PS4! Wish they would've told us how many own all three consoles.

That's the beauty of Switch. It is offering something vastly different from the competition, which gives PlayStation and Xbox owners a reason to also own a Switch. There are far fewer reason for PlayStation owners to own an Xbox as well.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
those awards are because of the culture war content, not the gaming parts. the gamer score is still just 5.7.

Your opinions are not facts.

ethomaz

Banned
IIRC TLOU2 lost the the big one, the VGA peoples choice.
It won the biggest one... Golden Joystick.
It lose the VGA due the massive 4chan hate chain due a tweet from Neil but that is another discussion.

The actual numbers:

• The Last of Us Part II- 62
    • Media Outlets: 43 | Readers' Choice: 19
  • Ghost of Tsushima- 12
    • Media Outlets: 10 | Readers' Choice: 2
GoT got only 2 popular votes awards (VGA and Yo soy un Gamer)... everything else choose TLOU2.
In fact the difference is smaller with Media Outlets (~4.3:1) than Popular Votes (~9.5:1).

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
who the hell buys all those FIFAs?
I used to buy each 2 years a new FIFA... in fact it was FIFA in the even years and PES in odd years.

The world (maybe less in United States) loves Football.
It is probably one of the best gaming sold in Europe and Latin America.

The updated athletes alone is a already a game changer.

Last edited:

Amiga

It won the biggest one... Golden Joystick.
It lose the VGA due the massive 4chan hate chain due a tweet from Neil but that is another discussion.

The actual numbers:

• The Last of Us Part II- 62
    • Media Outlets: 43 | Readers' Choice: 19
  • Ghost of Tsushima- 12
    • Media Outlets: 10 | Readers' Choice: 2
GoT got only 2 popular votes awards (VGA and Yo soy un Gamer)... everything else choose TLOU2.
In fact the difference is smaller with Media Outlets than Popular Votes.

Golden Joystick is British, it's regional. VGA is the bigger and where people bothered to vote. since TLOU2 is bad nobody will go from site to site to vote it out, people just stop caring. only bother to with it on GAF because it's forum I follow. the defensive fanbase and the badgering non-gamer "woke" crowed though would have a reason to go all over the net voting to prove something. so the number of different "choice" awards don't matter if they are small circle with small participation.

ethomaz

Banned
Golden Joystick is British, it's regional. VGA is the bigger and where people bothered to vote. since TLOU2 is bad nobody will go from site to site to vote it out, people just stop caring. only bother to with it on GAF because it's forum I follow. the defensive fanbase and the badgering non-gamer "woke" crowed though would have a reason to go all over the net voting to prove something. so the number of different "choice" awards don't matter if they are small circle with small participation.
Yeap... only valid award where the one that 4chan made a massive campaign to make the second place win lol

Legit (y)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I love seeing details like this, it's always interesting to get that insight.

Also, ugh, I really wish we'd get passed mobile gaming, lmao.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
the opinion is based on facts, there are no other facts that prove the contrary.
1. GoT didn't beat TLOU in sales. It's still way behind.
2. TLOU has been talked about way more than GoT. People such as yourself love to bring up GoT alongside TLOU 2.
3. One person doesn't determine the quality of a game. A game being good or bad in quality is based on a person's personal opinion, and your opinion doesn't hold any higher value than anyone else on this thread.
4. These awards are a mixture of people fan votes and critics. As of right now, TLOU leads the most in gamer choice awards. Most critics from different outlets have chosen TLOU 2 as their game of the year. You cannot accept this, so you're making excuses why the awards TLOU 2 have received aren't legit.

You expect people to take you serious with such beliefs.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I love seeing details like this, it's always interesting to get that insight.

Also, ugh, I really wish we'd get passed mobile gaming, lmao.
Mobile is becoming more and more bigger every year.
It won't pass.

In fact games on mobile today has little to no difference from gaming on PC or consoles.
You can even use Mouse/KB or your preferred console controller.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Almost is not good enough, also was ghosts at the awards cermeony this year....did it win :s. The last of us part II won goty and also the majority of the awards, got the shirt to prove it.

but wait let me guess...shills right....

or "well what about all those returned copies, probably the most returned game ever", hows cyberpunk doing by the way?

what other narrative do people want to spin?

Amiga

1. GoT didn't beat TLOU in sales. It's still way behind.
2. TLOU has been talked about way more than GoT. People such as yourself love to bring up GoT alongside TLOU 2.
3. One person doesn't determine the quality of a game. A game being good or bad in quality is based on a person's personal opinion, and your opinion doesn't hold any higher value than anyone else on this thread.
4. These awards are a mixture of people fan votes and critics. As of right now, TLOU leads the most in gamer choice awards. Most critics from different outlets have chosen TLOU 2 as their game of the year. You cannot accept this, so you're making excuses why the awards TLOU 2 have received aren't legit.

You expect people to take you serious with such beliefs.

on these facts say I'm right, not just opinion:

- said GoT "almost" beat TLOU2. it's comes right after it in numbers.
- the article here says GoT is more discussed.
- 150 thousand on MC give TLOU2 a bad 5.7 score average.
- critics don't matter, they are just regulars who bothered to run a website for add money. and misinform gamers most of the time for that add money. some publicly attacked gamers and other reviewers who criticized TLOU2. so critic opinion is actually worse and even a bad sign.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Glad to see Brasil at 4 in the sales. Even with all problems we rock!

Sad to see that Felipe Neto still is big. He's a lefty miss universe talk bitch

Also, Animal Crossing took the podium. Suck it, Sony boys

Last edited:

Amiga

Almost is not good enough, also was ghosts at the awards cermeony this year....did it win :s. The last of us part II won goty and also the majority of the awards, got the shirt to prove it.

but wait let me guess...shills right....

or "well what about all those returned copies, probably the most returned game ever", hows cyberpunk doing by the way?

what other narrative do people want to spin?

cyberpunk, TLOU2, Avengers, RE3 all deserve the criticism.

and CP77 and even Avengers can be fixed in time but TLOU2 will stay bad forever.

ethomaz

Banned
cyberpunk, TLOU2, Avengers, RE3 all deserve the criticism.

and CP77 and even Avengers can be fixed in time but TLOU2 will stay bad forever.
Happily TLOU2 is already amazing from day one... so it doesn't need to be fixed to get better.

MiguelItUp

Mobile is becoming more and more bigger every year.
It won't pass.

In fact games on mobile today has little to no difference from gaming on PC or consoles.
You can even use Mouse/KB or your preferred console controller.
Oh of course, I just wish it would.

But at some point they'll excel and be better than they currently are. I'll be more accepting of them then, haha.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
on these facts say I'm right, not just opinion:

- said GoT "almost" beat TLOU2. it's comes right after it in numbers.
- the article here says GoT is more discussed.
- 150 thousand on MC give TLOU2 a bad 5.7 score average.
- critics don't matter, they are just regulars who bothered to run a website for add money. and misinform gamers most of the time for that add money. some publicly attacked gamers and other reviewers who criticized TLOU2. so critic opinion is actually worse and even a bad sign.
- There's no almost. It's more than a million behind in sales.
- It says most discussed games on Twitter. Twitter is only one platform.
- Vast majority didn't play it. Very different from the actual PlayStation store when you need to buy it to give it a rating. You expect people to take you seriously when you find nothing wrong with people spamming the MC user score versus critics who played the game.
- It's their opinion. So far, most gaming journalist pics TLOU 2 and most player choice awards have went to TLOU.

It's difficult for you to accept that many people like this game. You guys need to learn to accept and move on.

ethomaz

Banned
some say the same about CP77. both are obviously wrong
Nope.

You are wrong (again)... CP077 needs a lot of fixes... including breaking bugs that generate constant crashes.

TLOU2 while has some bugs was a complete experience since day one.

Last edited:

Amiga

- There's no almost. It's more than a million behind in sales.
- It says most discussed games on Twitter. Twitter is only one platform.
- Vast majority didn't play it. Very different from the actual PlayStation store when you need to buy it to give it a rating. You expect people to take you seriously when you find nothing wrong with people spamming the MC user score versus critics who played the game.
- It's their opinion. So far, most gaming journalist pics TLOU 2 and most player choice awards have went to TLOU.

It's difficult for you to accept that many people like this game. You guys need to learn to accept and move on.

- in sales even billions can be "almost". GoT even on pace to overtake eventually.
- yes
- please provide data on claim. on the other hand we have actual website "critics" who say they don't play the games they rate, some have been caught stealing other peoples reviews. they are mostly in this for business or politics.
- we have seen what Drukerman thinks about negative opinions. each critic he pointed out got attacked.

maybe it's you who is in denial? I know a group of people like TLOU2 even with it's problems. but you can't accept that a large percentage of gamers view it as a horrible game.

Top Bottom