• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamerant] Study confirms PS5 most in demand Christmas gift this year

Based on your criteria it's an indisputable fact that Sony absolutely made a blunder by not making the PS5 look like an eraser.

The PS4 looked like an eraser, and had a higher sell through rate at this point last gen.

The PS4 was one hardware design which the PS5 is as well. Not sure why you believe they should have two different consoles with different chipsets. There's always a opportunity cost when you do something like that.

I'm not even talking about Microsoft here. Just saying that the PS5s design isn't a failure.

Last edited:
The opposite, in fact.

When people are buying a $500 console (PS5 #1) over a $250 console (Series S #3), why would the $500 console need a $250 variant, only to create further complications for game developers for the entirety of the generation and decrease their own hardware revenue?

Sony has mind share. MS has shored up a strong core fan base, but casuals are still buying PlayStation.

That's why a lower price point and a larger inventory would have cashed on popularity of PlayStation.

Time is of the essence here. Only a matter of time for Acti-Blizz deal to go through and casuals would turn towards Gamepass.

When looking at actual sales, how can you say this?

If Sony not launching a Series S type console was a mistake, Series consoles would be out selling PS5's.

They genius move was the console with no disc drive and the exact same specs. MS shoulda made a Series X DE.

A Series X DE that would not be available for purchase and cannot be even remotely discounted to same levels?

Makes zero sense. Unless you want to get into complexity of game development, which again is an over blown issue.

The last thing playstation fans want is perpetual cross-gen

Fortnite chapter 4 says "Hi".

Not really since production would be split between the PS5 and PS5 S. Not to mention we are talking about 2 different hardware designs as well.

What Sony did was design a console that they can easily mass produce and only need one production line. Numbers prove that it definitely wasn't a mistake for them.

Plus the PS5 design has other benefits as well. Such as Sonys ability to redesign it easily.

Nothing wrong with what Sony did with the PS5 and I definitely wouldn't call it a blunder given the numbers.

PS5 is being redesigned cause it needs them badly. PS5 slim will be a relief for sore eyes.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sony has mind share. MS has shored up a strong core fan base, but casuals are still buying PlayStation.

That's why a lower price point and a larger inventory would have cashed on popularity of PlayStation.

Time is of the essence here. Only a matter of time for Acti-Blizz deal to go through and casuals would turn towards Gamepass.

A Series X DE that would not be available for purchase and cannot be even remotely discounted to same levels?

Makes zero sense. Unless you want to get into complexity of game development, which again is an over blown issue.

PS5 is being redesigned cause it needs them badly. PS5 slim will be a relief for sore eyes.
Season 3 Running GIF by Law & Order

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I'd say that it's a very incorrect assessment.

1. "MS has a strong fanbase, and casuals buy PS" is completely wrong. PS has more hardcore fans and that's reflected in the amount of money they spend as well as the number of games they play as well as the engagement rate of multiplatform games.

2. A lower price point could have helped IF PlayStation wasn't selling this well. At this point, a $250 console can't outsell a $499 console in its strongest market ever.

3. You're overestimating the impact of ABK, especially when those games will continue to release on PS. New CODs wouldn't even launch on GP till at least 2025 because of Sony's marketing agreements, assuming the acquisition doesn't get blocked in the first place.

These acquisitions do not matter as much, especially when PS releases bangers after bangers. Xbox announced Bethesda's acquisition a day before XSX|S preorders went live, hoping to go bananas over PS5 sales with the recent good news and shift in mindshare. Look at NPD data and tell me if it made even an ounce of difference. That's because people are too busy playing Gran Turismo, Spider-Man, Horizon, and God of War on PS.

Edit: vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal , FYI - Just a laugh emoji and no actual reply in response to a comment that's based on data and facts doesn't help your argument.

Last edited:
I’m always an early adopter and even though this gen feels very hamstrung as a result of the pandemic, the PS5 has actually had a lot of great games released for it. I think that definitely feeds into its desirability.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Title; Study confirms.

Headline; Study claims.

I could do a study of 3 people who only bought a Switch this holiday season.

I'm not talking about aesthetics here. Just how simple the hardware design is. It's why it was easy for them to make multiple redesigns and come up with this new model.

Never said it wasn't big.

Ronin_7

Banned

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Originals

yazenov

I mean, you know you've fucked up when all you got is hope that the Activision deal goes through and pass the regulators .

WTF was MS doing for the past years? Where are the games from their internal studios (excluding Activision Blizzard)? What if the deal doesn't go through?

Does MS even have a contingency plan if the deal is rejected? Other than selling their consoles at a deep discount and packing it with a happy meal.

Gamerguy84

PS5 is a monster. Sony has supported it well through its short llifespan with some great games.

The PS4 was a juggernaut that built an amazing rep on of top of an already great one.

They do have the mind share which is what xbox is trying to purchase with zenimax and Activision.

Mung

Obviously. The demand for ps5 is clearly massive. They've had production issues throughout which were worst earlier this year. They are getting on top of this now.

I think some took relative sales numbers from early this year as representative of demand which I can't understand.

Last edited:

SaintALia

The Switch is still going to outsell it this holiday imo. You'd think Nintendo would have a price cut to ensure that, but nope. I think they have the $300 MK8 and AC bundles and 360 Pokemon bundles. I'm not even sure if they have a Lite Bundle. They're holding firm on that 200/300/350 price points for their hardware.

The Switch is long in the tooth and the PS5 is in demand, so there's a possibility Sony can beat them, but Nintendo traditionally does dominate the holidays if they have hardware and software that's worth buying. Pokemon had a reputation hit with the latest game, but it's still Pokemon, and the sales beasts that are MK8 and BOTW still continue to sell.

I expect Nintendo to clearly beat Sony in Japan, Sony to beat Nintendo in the UK, EU markets are a flip(France will be Nintendo tho), US is a flip too, tho I'd give it to Nintendo.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony not launching a Series S equivalent was a blunder. Imagine where they would be had they produced twice the number of consoles they already have.

Sony has the mindshare. Casuals are buying PS by default. A PS5 lite version would also sell out.

A PS5 lite would have literally been the worst thing Sony could have made. THANK GOD....they didn't build a PS5s

I'm surprised Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin didn't make a thread about this 😁😂

I'm not 😛

A PS5 lite would have literally been the worst thing Sony could have made. THANK GOD....they didn't build a PS5s

A PS5 Lite would not have been a bad idea if it was for streaming-only and basically repurposed PS4 performance in a different form factor package.

But, didn't happen.

Sony not launching a Series S equivalent was a blunder. Imagine where they would be had they produced twice the number of consoles they already have.

Sony has the mindshare. Casuals are buying PS by default. A PS5 lite version would also sell out.

L + Ratio'd.

For real.

Last edited:
The PS4 was one hardware design which the PS5 is as well. Not sure why you believe they should have two different consoles with different chipsets. There's always a opportunity cost when you do something like that.

I'm not even talking about Microsoft here. Just saying that the PS5s design isn't a failure.
I never said they should have two different chipsets. You must be referring to another poster, because I never said as much.

I was simply referring to your claim that the PS5's sales are evidence that they made the right choice not to have series s like model. To which I replied that if that's your stance, then by your definition... The PS5 should've looked like the PS4 seeing as it sold better.

I never said you were talking about MS here. Actually, nobody here has said that the PS5's design is a failure either. Maybe you're just a tad sensitive to criticism of the PS5 in general?

I never said they should have two different chipsets. You must be referring to another poster, because I never said as much.

I was simply referring to your claim that the PS5's sales are evidence that they made the right choice not to have series s like model. To which I replied that if that's your stance, then by your definition... The PS5 should've looked like the PS4 seeing as it sold better.

I never said you were talking about MS here. Actually, nobody here has said that the PS5's design is a failure either. Maybe you're just a tad sensitive to criticism of the PS5 in general?

Not really because I don't see why its bad that Sony doesn't have a PS5 S model given the data we have. If they were failing in sales then I would agree with you.

Not saying its criminal not to have one. I'm just saying it isn't necessary for them to given the current results.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not really because I don't see why its bad that Sony doesn't have a PS5 S model given the data we have. If they were failing in sales then I would agree with you.

Not saying its criminal not to have one. I'm just saying it isn't necessary for them to given the current results.
Thank fuck they don't. 4TF in 2025, gross. Even 10-12TF will be anemic by then.

Thank fuck they don't. 4TF in 2025, gross. Even 10-12TF will be anemic by then.

Having two chipsets would definitely impact the production of the PS5 especially since the parts would be vastly different between the two.

Looking at how the PS5 was designed it seems that Sony went with a simple approach. A design that would allow them to cut costs as time goes on which is what they have been doing. Seems like production was one of the goals with the PS5s design.

mckmas8808

For some reason, some people want Sony to copy everything Phil is doing with Xbox. It literally makes NO SENSE at all, considering they are last in mindshare.

For some reason, some people want Sony to copy everything Phil is doing with Xbox. It literally makes NO SENSE at all, considering they are last in mindshare.

Maybe I wasn't clear with my response.

vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal original argument was that if Sony had a PS5 S they would have sold more consoles. The issue with that theory is that the wafer count would have still been the same. In that case there would be a tradeoff with the production of Premium PS5s for units of PS5 Ss. Obviously the PS5 has been selling extremely well so that means some people who bought a PS5 wouldn't be able to get one because their units wafers would have been used for the PS5 S.

If there were a ton of PS5s sitting on shelves then that could make sense. But that really didn't happen.

P.S

Just to be clear I'm not saying a S console would be bad. I'm just saying that maybe it wouldn't be the best option for Sony given their goals.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Maybe I wasn't clear with my response.

vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal original argument was that if Sony had a PS5 S they would have sold more consoles. The issue with that theory is that the wafer count would have still been the same. In that case there would be a tradeoff with the production of Premium PS5s for units of PS5 Ss. Obviously the PS5 has been selling extremely well so that means some people who bought a PS5 wouldn't be able to get one because their units wafers would have been used for the PS5 S.

If there were a ton of PS5s sitting on shelves then that could make sense. But that really didn't happen.

P.S

Just to be clear I'm not saying a S console would be bad. I'm just saying that maybe it wouldn't be the best option for Sony given their goals.

I agree with your bolded. Except I think it a PS5s would have been bad. Terrible even. But me and you agree here.

And you don't have to go white knighting for every pro Sony poster here. Your claim was dubious, and served no purpose. No need to take it personally buddy.

I thought I was white knighting you to be honest. No idea what your issue is with Sony fans since both sides have their trouble makers.

Maybe if I do what you ask things could be better between us?

I still respect you though since you really aren't serious about me being a homosexual.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Why? PS5 is in high demand. They don’t need that weak ass console to drive sales.

Top Bottom