• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games are too long these days; or, How are y'all finishing these massive games?

I usually have 2 games on the go, a long game and a sports game. Currently it's Persona 5 after finishing off quite a few short Indies and waiting on the release of PES next week. Pretty much have come to the realisation that I won't be able to play everything and it's ok being LTTP since most of the games I play are SP.

Kawika

I think its more the issue with too many open world games. I am having so much trouble finishing games these days that I actually just prefer to go back to games i have played before. If i have 1 hour i know I can beat Megaman 2. I never like the way open world games just waste your time and there are so damn many these days. Botw was one of the few non-gta-open-world games i adored.

Attempted in 2017

BotW
Yakuza 0
Nier
Horizon Zero Dawn
Sunset Overdrive
FF12
DQ7
Majora's Mask
Turtles in Time
Streets of Rage 2 Gen
MM1-3
Super Metroid
Alan Wake
Bayonetta PC
Vanquish PC
Cave Story switch
Blaster Master Switch
Mario & Rabbids

Finished in 2017
Botw
Sunset Overdrive
Turtles in Time
Majora's Mask
Megaman 1-3
Streets of Rage 2
Super Metroid
Bayonetta PC
Vanquish PC

Haven't even opened
Megaman Legacy collection 2
Pyre (played digital)
Yakuza Kiwami

Likely to actually finish

Horizon
Yakuza0
Mario & Rabbids

UrbanRats

Just make up reasons to not play games like UrbanRats and you won't have any trouble finishing a couple of games per year.

If not liking a game is "making up a reason", sure. :p
My point is, there's always a good reason to wait and take it slow, and a lot of excitement is just manufactured hype, be it from marketing or gaming community's osmosis.

Don't feel obligated to keep playing games you're not enjoying, and especially, don't feel compelled to buy every game on D1 (or even the same year they came out).
If a game loses all its value within a year, you know it wasn't worth a shit, and you were only interested because of hype.

Jaymageck

I have the same problem. Youmg me would be disgusted but I want games to be about 3-6 hours long nowadays. I liked when being 20 hours was reserved for RPGs.

BTA

I think I'm better at it now (few months post-graduation with a full time job) than I was during college but I still haven't gotten into the rhythm I had during the internship I did 2 years ago. Back then it was really easy for me to (on a night when I just wanted to play a game and nothing else) just get home, play for a while, make dinner, and play more till I went to sleep.

Now I usually waste too much time one way or another. It helps that I'm playing visual novels lately and can spend some of my commute on that or phone games if I remember, but usually in the morning I'm still tired enough that I'm messing with my phone, or reading a book because I've started reading more.

So... I just try my best to schedule out what I vaguely want to do in a week-by-week basis and then just shift half of that to the next week when I don't get to it.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I've finished about a dozen single-player PC titles this year. How? Hacks. I ain't got time to play as much as I used to and I see no benefit in wasting time starting over because of a mistake.

This year alone
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Yakuza 0
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Nier: Automata
  • Persona 5
  • FFXII Remaster
  • Breath of the Wild

Adjusted to games I bought that haven't played--played through BOTW (from Easter week though maybe June?) and everything except Horizon is still in the wrapper. Horizon I literally just finished the tutorial.

Short answer: I don't have time the first part of the year, have accepted I'll be at least half a year behind on new games, which I'm cool with, as outside of FFXII and BOTW, I bought all the others on discount, new, after release. So I can wait til the new year to play the new AC, Forza, and Mario Odd.

Edit:Shit, forgot Trails of Cold Steel II. With the time I have to game these days, I'll be lucky to finish Horizon and CS2 by year's end.

Rokal

Play only 1-2 games at a time. If you play 2, make sure they are different enough to accommodate your moods. Stick to this plan, and force yourself to play those 1-2 games (even if you are reluctant). You'll enjoy yourself in the end, from my experience, and you'll actually finish stuff.

For example, I know myself well enough to know that I'm not always in the mood to play survival horror games, so if I play one I have just 1 more game going on the side to accommodate nights when I don't want to play a scary stressful game.

I've had problems finishing games for years, and participating in the 52 games challenge on GAF has gotten me to a place where I can enjoy *and* finish games. I've finished a ton this year, probably more than in the last 5 years combined, and it's been an enjoyable experience to see games through to the end.

I'm just a games tourist these days.

Just hop into a game, explore the sights, get to know the locals, learn a bit of the game mechanics then make my exit, spending an hour at most.

The stories in games are just too generic to care about anymore.

Roshin

Stop trying to collect everything, stop trying to complete every game you play, stop trying to play everything.

Just have fun. And if you aren't having fun play something else.

We have an amazing selection of games available to us, possibly the largest and most diverse ever. I wish people would appreciate that and not just treat it as a big list that you have to "muscle through".

Just as you're never going to read every book or listen to all music, you're never going to finish all games.

Pick something and have fun.

Bluehound

Neo Member
Do not get all collectibles. I used to collect them, but now like games much more after concentrating on more meaningful side-quests that instead add to story, yet not take much time.

wreckml

i try to focus on 1 game (max 2) at a time and play as much as I can. Having a big backlog of games you want to play is intimidating... I used to start a lot of games but rarely finished them. Now I just pick 1 and stick with it... I find that if I actually like the game, I don't have a problem playing every chance I get. If its a game I keep forcing myself to play, then I ditch it and move on to the next.

pretty straightforward, but it's been working for me this year (44 games off the backlog so far :S)

edit: also, if a game is overstaying its welcome for you then stop playing lol. I know it sounds obvious, but you dont have to beat every game you play. BoTW didn't overstay its welcome for me... I loved every second of that game and can't wait to dive back in when the new DLC drops. Yakuza 0 didn't overstay it's welcome, I wanted to be in Kamurocho as much as possible. But Persona 5 just wasnt for me... i tried to give it a fair shake but after about 10 hours I decided I needed to move onto something else. And that's OK... not every game is for every person.

Li Kao

180 hours in Witcher, 85 in Zelda, 60 in Persona 5

Haven't beaten any of them lol

Let's see, in Witcher 3 I'm at 208h 30min. And I'm just beginning to see the end line. Let's say in the 20-30h range. This fucking game nearly broke me. I love it as much as I hate it. It even killed my will to play video games for months.

I'm not really anxious for Cyberpunk to release.

I will have to take some serious steps back and reflect at how I consume games after that.
My issue is that I love open world and RPG, I'm fucked.

Creepy

I don't finish them, I get bored about half way through and go back to playing timeless arcade games.

If a game wants to keep me for more than 30 hours it better be written by Shakespeare's ghost.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I only finish like 20 games a year at best. Usually less for the last few years now that I play Final Fantasy XIV, which will often take my attention for extended periods of time.

I typically avoid new massive IPs since I know I just don't have the time. I play Final Fantasy for 90% of my RPGs, and generally just stick to action and adventure games that can be cleared in a week or less otherwise.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You gotta let go of the feeling that you need to play everything. Seriously, it's best you can do. Just focus on a few games and enjoy those. Leave the rest behind. There is no other way.

redcrayon

OP, the issue is that your desire to keep up with the zeitgeist and play everything worth playing on release is out of sync with how much time you have. Be more choosy, don't feel rushed, play until a game is no longer fun whether you finish it or not, enjoy the sights if they are worth seeing, pick up the others when they are heavily discounted in a few months time. Don't feel obligated to play everything worth playing- I buy about 6-10 games a year and there's no way I can play everything, so I'm just very picky instead. The alternative is either a pile of shrinkwrapped games that you paid full price for but haven't touched, or rushing through £50 games to reach the finish line like it's a part time job.

Ossom

I skip things that are too time consuming. I'll look at a selection of big games and just pick one.

This year Zelda took a huge amount of my time (mainly in handheld mode). When I look at games like persona 5, I just know that I won't get the massive amount of TV time that I need to finish it.

It's a shame, but it make me so happy to smash through a solid 6-8 hour game.

kiuo

If it's possible to do, I would use cheats and mods to get through the games faster and not have to deal with all the grind.

For example, I modded Witcher3 to make me one shot all my enemies, give myself unlimited weight capacity, no crafting ingredients required to craft, always win my Gwent games, etc to beat the game quicker.

But I gotta say, it still took me over 100 hrs to beat it (with doing most of the contents). I have no idea how others can get through the game so quick without cheating like I did.

Also cheated on FFX for ps3 by using brute force to save edit my save file to have max money and all the ultimate weapons.

yagal

Persona 5 has destroyed my ability to play a lot of other large games. I'm over 100 hours in and still haven't finished it. If I start another game I might not make it.

Yup, Persona 5 just broke me, 160 hours. For the first time, I wished that a good game was short.

Now I'm playing Nioh, I'm at the White Tiger boss fight but don't feel any sense of progression, I feel like I'm doing the same shit since the beginning. I will drop it, fuck that moral sense of obligation to finish game

Yup, Persona 5 just broke me, 160 hours. For the first time, I wished that a good game was short.

Now I'm playing Nioh, I'm at the White Tiger boss fight but don't feel any sense of progression, I feel like I'm doing the same shit since the beginning. I will drop it, fuck that moral sense of obligation to finish game

nioh was a very easy game to just drop at some point. I enjoyed playing it but after some point I just felt like I had enough. maybe i'll hop back here or there for a level or two but overall I can't imagine beating it multiple times and perfect clearing it and shit. there was never really a sense of wanting to move on and edge the story forward or any good carrots like that to me, just solid gameplay progression that entertained me for as long as it did. I enjoyed it though.

Focus on one at the time if possible, drop a game when you feel you're satisfied (you can always come back after months or years) and cut as much as fat possible from them (no grinding unless you find it fun, skip dialogue when it is uninteresting, don't do side content that doesn't reward you accordingly).

But I really, really advise to drop games when you reach a point of satisfaction. Is something that people have trouble doing and I myself had to do it at one point. With so many good games coming out and backlogs for people becoming bigger and bigger there's no point to keep playing a game just to finish it.

weltalldx

I personally only play games that respect my time. If I sense padding, lazy effort or just lacking in innovation or creativity, I don't give much attention or time to said games. Needless to say, COD, AC and countless popular franchises aren't on my priority playlist.

Paragon

The problem with games is not the length, but the amount of filler and grind that's in them now.
It's rare that I play a AAA game to completion these days because they're 6-12 hour games padded out to 20-40 hours now and I just get bored of them.
Prey (2017) was a long game for me due to how I play that sort of game, maybe 25-30 hours, but it didn't feel like a long game because I was enjoying every minute of it. Despite being that long, I got through it in a very short amount of time, as I wanted to spend every free minute I had playing it, instead of pushing ahead trying to see if the game starts to get interesting again, like most AAA games these days.

just play Nier Automata and forget the rest
NieR:Automata is an absolute slog that doesn't respect the player's time at all.
The story may be great, but I'm unlikely to even finish the game even once. Every time I try and go back to it, I'm reminded why I stopped.

You really just need to pick one and play it. It took me a month to finish Prey but I did it, and that was only 20 hours.

Witcher 3 took me 4 months to see the credits.

I agree I think games are too long for my taste now, but there are indeed shorter smaller titles so at some point you have to ask if you'd rather only play 4-5 big games a year, or 10-20 smaller ones

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
10-15 hours is usually my sweet spot for AAA games. Sadly, most are super bloated these days into the 30+ hour range. Rarely do I finish a "long" game these days. People bitched about the 7-8 hour campaigns last gen, and the publishers/devs took the wrong lessons from that.

Jawmuncher

Some of these lengths and not beating the game are ridiculous. Witcher 3 can be done in about 30 hours. Breath of the Wild getting good amount of hearts and master sword with all dungeons like 20-25. Horizon Zero Dawn 25 hours.

Seems a lot of people are just making the games longer for themselves if anything. Outside something like Persona 5 which is long unless you skip everything story wise which defeats the point.

I'd say people need to start playing X amount and then beating the game. It's not like you won't be able to go back to exploring the world. Most games these days have a save before or after the last quest to let you go back and do all the side stuff.

Persona 5 has destroyed my ability to play a lot of other large games. I'm over 100 hours in and still haven't finished it. If I start another game I might not make it.

Same. I'm only at the third dungeon but I feel like I've been playing for years at this point. There are a lot of things I love about Persona 5, but the length feels incredibly padded, especially in the interim sections between dungeons which involve a lot of repetitive dialogue and text messaging between members of your party. It also doesn't help that on many days you're completely locked out of doing side activities. I don't mind long games in theory, but I need the game to maintain a tangible sense of progression to make it feel worthwhile.

At this point, I might shelve P5 for a bit and move on to something else.

You really just need to pick one and play it. It took me a month to finish Prey but I did it, and that was only 20 hours.

Witcher 3 took me 4 months to see the credits.

I agree I think games are too long for my taste now, but there are indeed shorter smaller titles so at some point you have to ask if you'd rather only play 4-5 big games a year, or 10-20 smaller ones

The Witcher 3 probably doesn't take longer than 20-30 hours if you just do the main story quests.

But it's an injustice against the game IMO if you take that route

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'd take a look at average playtimes (on howlongtobeat.com or something) and play the shortest ones first. On your list, Uncharted only takes like 7 hours so you can finish that fast. LiS is only one episode now, but even all 3 eps will only be 8 ish hours. Persona 5 seems like the most time-intensive on your list, so you could put that on the backburner for now.

But I agree that the issue isn't the length, but the amount of fluff and fat. As much as I love Nioh, I understand how people feel it outstays its welcome.

Assanova

I've been playing Yakazu 0 since it came out, and I still haven't beaten it yet. I have learned to avoid overly long story-driven games because I know that I will only beat 2-3 per year. I mostly just stick to short games and games that can easily be picked-up and played in short bursts; mostly platformers, arcade, and multiplayer games.

I kinda agree which is why me not getting that feeling from games like BOTW, Horizon Zero Dawn and MGSV tells me those are in the GOAT category.

I still feel that open worls fatigue with a lot of games and games that are too long.

shaneo632

I generally avoid side quests etc anyway as I like to play more games in less depth, which shaves hours and hours off my playtime compared to most people. Yakuza 0, for instance, I clocked in about 22 hours.

Also because there's been so many quality games out this year I've straight up avoided the bigger ones, like Persona 5. It's about being OK with not playing everything you want to.

Jackano

Too much games, not enough time. You pretty much have to live by the words of Admiral Adama

CgWY3ORWwAAIL4g.jpg

Mathieran

Banned
Slowly. It took me about a month to beat completed Horizon:ZD, and about 4 months for TW3. I skip content I'm not interested in, but I still do most stuff in RPGs and open world games, just takes me a long time.

Bookman

I thougt that uncharted lost legacy where near perfect. U follow a story but the gameplay doesn't drag out. I love it. I was thinking about playind dragon age inq again buti know I wont be able to play it through again, especially since witcher 3 raised the bar.

I vote for shorter games!

emag

NieR:Automata is an absolute slog that doesn't respect the player's time at all.
The story may be great, but I'm unlikely to even finish the game even once. Every time I try and go back to it, I'm reminded why I stopped.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The first "play through" of Automata clocks in under 10 hours unless you're going out of your way to just explore. 2B runs incredibly fast, the mounts are even faster, and the generous fast-travel system opens up a few hours into the main story. The gameplay is diverse and as action-packed as a game could be. There're no mandatory item collection or fetch/delivery quests, either.

I understand people not liking Nier Automata because of the character designs, dislike for the genre, or the repetitive nature of the second "playthrough" (which is ~5 hours long), but a "slog" is the opposite of how I would characterize the game.

sotojuan

I started beating games instead of completing them. It cuts down the hours spent on each by almost half. I only complete games I truly love. I also stopped feeling bad about playing games on Easy.

You could beat Yakuza 0 and Kiwami in ~25 hours each with that mentality.

Top Bottom