• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Cologne 2009 - The Thread

Kinan

hvz4ns.jpg

Introduction

Gamescom in Cologne (Germany) is a new conference replacing Leipzig’s Games Convention and inheriting its status of biggest games trade show of Europe. Cologne has much better access and infrastructure than Leipzig, so this conference has a possibility to be even bigger than Games Convention ever was. Already more than 300 exhibitors registered (this year E3 expo has “only” 216, for example) with all big players and platform holders present. UPDATE: Holy fuck, updated numbers are 420! exhibitors from 30 countries. Is it biggest video game trade fair ever?

Schedule

jl5mk9.jpg

The fun begins already at Monday, 17th with European Games Developers conference starting, featuring keynotes from David Cage (Quantic Dream) and Cevat Yerly (Crytek), as well as from Remedy, CCP and Gamesforge. The presentations from Peter Molyneux (Choice: The ultimate game mechanics) and Blitz Games (Games in Stereoscopic 3D) are also sure to attract attention.

The Gamescom starts officially only at 19th of August, but two big press conferences are scheduled to start one day earlier. First shots are fired by Electronic Arts and Sony Computer Entertainment:

Tuesday,18th August 2009

note: UK time is GMT+1 or CEST-1, CEST(Central European Summer Time) is a local time in Cologne now

16:30– 17:30 CEST (14:30– 15:30 GMT, 7:30-8:30 PDT (Los Angeles), 10:30-11:30 EDT (New York)) Electronic Arts Countdown
LIVE STREAM: EA Blog
LIVE BLOG: Kotaku

Its over! For summary and discussion head to this thread.

18:30 – 20:30 CEST (16:30– 18:30 GMT, 9:30-11:30 PDT, 12:30-14:30 EDT) Sony Computer Entertainment Countdown
LIVE STREAM: ChillaxTV(Justin.tv)
LIVE BLOGS: Playstation Blog EU, Eurogamer, IGN UK, Kotaku, Gamespot

AND, its over folks. For summary and discussion look into this thread.

Official opening of the Gamescom and most press events are at Wednesday. Important events:

Wednesday,19th August 2009

10:00 CEST (08:00 GMT, 01:00 PDT, 04:00 EDT) Microsoft Game Studios / Lionhead Press Briefing Countdown
LIVE BLOGS: Eurogamer
OVER! Summary: Fable 3 announced. Discussion in this thread.

12:00 CEST (10:00 GMT, 03:00 PDT, 06:00 EDT) KONAMI DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT GmbH Press Conference
Finished. Summary and discussion here.

16:00 CEST (14:00 GMT, 07:00 PDT, 10:00 EDT) NAMCO BANDAI &Partners Press Conference

Finished. Discussion in this thread.

17:00 CEST (15:00 GMT, 08:00 PDT, 11:00 EDT) Bethesda Softworks Press Conference

Starting from Thursday, 20th August 2009, the exhibition is fully open for visitors. Take into account that there are many fesitivities planned outside of the exhibition halls, including gaming camps, cosplay world record attempt at Saturday, casemodding competition and parkour event, so visiting Cologne burn out your unprepared brains due to overload by extreme fun.

GAMESCOM LIVE STREAMS:

ChillaxTV(Justin.tv) 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm GMT TODAY!

Gamescom Live Stream Press Day(Justin.tv)

Electronic Sports League: Germany Stream (from Wednesday on)

What to expect from..

[Nintendo]

With Nintendo presence being the smallest among three platform holders and without pressconference, I wouldn’t expect much, maybe few confirmed EU release dates and chance to test vitality sensor at maximum.

Confirmed to be present at Nintendo booth are:

„Wii Fit Plus“
„Wii Sports Resort“
„New Super Mario Bros. Wii“
„Mario & Luigi – Bowser’s Inside Story“
„Kirby Super Star Ultra“
„The Legend of Zelda – Spirit Tracks“
„Style Boutique“
„Professor Layton and The Diabolical Box“
„Flipnote Studio“ (DSiWare)
"Glory of Heracles"

[Microsoft]

Having combined press event with Lionhead one can expect another demonstration of E3 stuff, maybe with updated builds of Natal and Milo. Peter Molyneux presence is guarantied, hopefully with a fresh announcement. A bit less likely is announcement of the rumored price drop for Elite model and elimination of Pro.

Those who live in Germany and coming to Gamescom with wish to play HALO3:ODST, can register here: https://www.odst-live-area.de/ . You'll need to have GOLD LIVE account. Unfortunately its already too late for free entrance tickets, but you can still register for ODST play session till 16.08.

UPDATE: Apparently, Lionhead will make a new announcement on the conference, with teaser site showing no other as Che Gevara itself. Thread

[Sony]

By far the most Gamescom hype is concentrated around upcoming Sony conference. Among rumored megatons are PS3 Slim announcement along with a price drop to 299€, GT5 release date, PSN revamp, a new firmware and even less likely things. One, however, can be sure that PSP Go will be present strongly along with GT PSP and other upcoming games for the platform. Finally EU PSP Go price will be announced.

Confirmed to be present at Gamescom are following games from SCE:

PlayStation 3:
• Heavy Rain
• Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
• God of War 3
• MAG
• EyePet
• Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time
• SingStar
• Buzz!
• White Knight Chronicles
• DC Universe Online

PlayStation Portable:
• Gran Turismo Mobile
• MotorStorm: Arctic Edge
• LittleBigPlanet
• Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier
• Socom: Fireteam Bravo 3

Sony will show one previously unannounced title, called Dead Nations.

[Electronic Arts]

EA has a big exhibition this year, with the highlight being FIFA10 official announcement and demonstration.

Other games:
All Points Bulletin (PC)
Army of Two: The 40th Day (PS3, Xbox 360)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3, Xbox 360)
Brütal Legend (PS3, Xbox 360)
Command & Conquer 4 (PC)
Dante’ Inferno (PS3, Xbox 360, PSP)
Dead Space Extraction (Wii)
Dragon Age: Origins (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)
FIFA Manager 10 (PC)
Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)
MySims Agents (Wii, NDS)
Need for Speed: Nitro (Wii, NDS)
Need for Speed: Shift (PS3, Xbox 360)
NHL 10 (PS3, Xbox 360)
Rage (PS3, Xbox 360)
Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC)
The Beatles: Rock Band (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii)
The Saboteur (PS3, Xbox 360)

EA will also have some new stuff to show at Gamescom (no details yet, GST2 maybe?)

[Square Enix]

It’s a first big conference for SE after Eidos buy-out, so you can enjoy titles like Pony Friends 2 at S-E booth for the first time ever. What’s more interesting is seemingly heavy push for FF14, which is supposed to be demoed live for the first time ever.

Other games:
Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP) - 04.09.09
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Xbox 360) - 2010
FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (Wii) - Winter 2009/2010
Front Mission Evolved (PS3, Xbox 360)
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 (NDS) - Fall 2009
Nier (PS3, Xbox 360) - 2010
Supreme Commander 2 (Xbox 360) - 2010
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) - 28.08.09
Mini Ninja (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, NDS) - Fall 2009
Pony Friends 2 (Wii, NDS) - Winter 2009

[Konami]

Pro Evolution Soccer is set for a real next gen debut in this year installment. Lets hope we'll get at least something about MGS:Rising and Peace Walker.

Other games:
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
DanceDance Revolution

[Namco Bandai]

EU players getting hands on with Tekken 6 and new Dragon Ball(s): Rising Blast for HD and Revenge of King Piccolo for Wii. Also in Business Area one will be able to get hands on with two new games from Games Republic, and see the presentations of Star Trek Online, Dead to Rights : Retribution and Dragonball X.
UPDATE: Sadly Games Republic cancelled all appointments and will not be showing up. :(

Other games:
One Piece Unlimited Cruise 2 (Wii)
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Wii)
Family Trainer: Extreme Challenge (Wii)
Katamari Forever (Playstation 3)
Champions Online (PC)

[1C]

Biggest Russian publisher will be there with new Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad and a previously unannounced RTS title.

Other games:
* Captain Blood (Xbox 360, PC)
* King's Bounty: Armored Princess (PC)
* Men of War: Red Tide (PC)
* NecroVisioN: Lost Company (PC)
* Rig'n'Roll (PC)
* IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, NDS)
* Majesty 2. The Fantasy Kingdom Sim (PC)

[Activision Blizzard]
Main features of Activision is of course MW2, music games and sudden obsession of Kotick with increase of the prices. I wouldnt count on freebies at their booth. Blizzard will also be presented at Gamescom, and visitors will be able to get a taste of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and Diablo III.

Other games:
Bakugan
Band Hero
Blur
DJ Hero
Guitar Hero 5
Modern Warfare 2
Tony Hawk RIDE

[Other highlights]

Announcement of new PSN exclusive title from creators of Super Stardust HD.
Monster Hunter 3 (Wii) playable at Capcom booth, hopefully announcement of the release date
Two new stages of Heavy Rain will be demoed by Quantic Dream along with a reveal of new character.
New SplitFish PS3 Controller FREVOLUTION X will be demoed.
Sega will show a playable build of Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll with Balance board support.
2K Czech brings Mafia II to Gamescom.
Capcom will debut PS3 version of Lost Planet 2 and show Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars, MotoGP09/10, Spyborgs for Wii and RE5 for PC.
Possibly Fallout: New Vegas will make a surprise appearance at Gamescom
Crysis 2 trailers will be shown at Gamescom
Tropico 3 playable at Kalypso Media booth in Hall 6.1, C054.
Age of Conan expansion looks quite amazing for a MMO, more details tomorrow.

Please, write in this thread if you are going and at what day(s) are you going to be present, should you want to meet other gaffers.

NeoGAF Gamescom descent

Wednesday, 19th August (closed press and industry day)
Xater
Blablurn
skip
Vinterbird
blimblim
PBz0r
Station42
CaVaYeRo
Spider_Jerusalem
VicViper

Thursday, 20th August
Xater
Blablurn
skip
Vinterbird
blimblim
migulic
PBz0r
Station42
CaVaYeRo
Spider_Jerusalem
VicViper

Friday, 21th August
Xater
Blablurn
skip
Vinterbird
Hypertrooper
blimblim
PBz0r
Station42
CaVaYeRo
alba
Spider_Jerusalem
VicViper

Saturday, 22d August
Xater
Blablurn
Kinan
skip
:Motorbass
Hypertrooper
blimblim
PBz0r
Station42
VicViper

Sunday, 23d August
Xater
Blablurn
skip
:Motorbass
Hypertrooper
blimblim
PBz0r
Station42
eXistor
VicViper

[Supplemental info]

Map of the fair with main players positions marked
Some facts about Cologne from Blablurn
First booth photos

[Gamescom Trailers&Videos Galore]

Rabbits Go Home
:)
Cryengine3 PS3 off-screen footage
Fifa10 Gamescom Trailer
Just Cause2 - Panau Island Trailer
Dead Nation (PSN)
White Knight Chronicles
Mass Effect 2
New HD Heavy Rain Trailer
GT5 video by Blimblim
Final Fantasy XIV offscreen gameplay

PES 2010 Video
GT5 Damage video

New Super Mario Bros. Wii GamesCom 09 Trailer
Fable 3 teaser
New Uncharted 2 trailer from Sony press-conference. oO
Majin : The Fallen Realm (new Games Rebublic game)

[Hot News]

CCP Announces Dust 514 Console MMO At GDC Europe [Link, Thread, Screens]
Gran Turismo 5 details: Over 1,000 cars, damage confirmed, and tons more! [Link, Thread, Screens]

Biff

Smells good, brah.

Most looking forward to Housemarque's next game (SSHD remains in my top 5 current gen games).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nice. Great thread.

Kinan said:
[Other highlights]
Two new stages of Heavy Rain will be demoed by Quantic Dream.
They're also revealing the final main character actually: http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/10/scee-confirms-cologne-reveal-for-new-heavy-rain-character/

Edit:

Also 1C's lineup including the reveal of Red Orchestra and a new rts:

Worthplaying said:
1C Company will be showing off the following titles:

* Captain Blood (Xbox 360, PC)
* King's Bounty: Armored Princess (PC)
* Men of War: Red Tide (PC)
* NecroVisioN: Lost Company (PC)
* Rig'n'Roll (PC)
* IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, NDS)
* Majesty 2. The Fantasy Kingdom Sim (PC)
* Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

And a new unannounced title from 1C's RTS line-up
Source: http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64391

Xater

I'll be there from the 19th to the 23rd as part of the press. Doubt I'll have much time the first 3 days.

dragct

Does anyone have some info about the Sony conference?
Last year it was on the press day, so anyone could see it with a press card. What about this years conference? Is it invite only?

Xater

Blablurn said:
my first convention with a press pass. damn it. can't wait!

PES 2010!!!! THE TRUE RETURN OF THE KING! HELL YEAH!

2cnxboo.gif

Well at least I'll know where to find you. :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Blablurn said:
my first convention with a press pass. damn it. can't wait!

PES 2010!!!! THE TRUE RETURN OF THE KING! HELL YEAH!

2cnxboo.gif
:lol :lol Sure buddy, have fun enjoying mediocre graphics/animations. Fifa 2010 is going to rock your world.

I played PES6 so much it's crazy. Sad to see the franchise barely improving.

Xater

MMaRsu said:
:lol :lol Sure buddy, have fun enjoying mediocre graphics/animations. Fifa 2010 is going to rock your world.

The first screens from PES 2010 look pretty good. Just saying.

Blablurn

MMaRsu said:

In the end i will play both (like this year) but my heart belongs to seabass <3

MMaRsu said:

I think Konami actually put animations in the game again this year. No more stick figures

feel

Dammit, came here expecting to be the first one to say something about PES!

Anyways, GO PES!!! Please be good this year!

MMaRsu

Banned
I'd like to be surprised but I doubt it..

Anybody from the Netherlands going to this by the way? I want to go but I'd have to figure out a good connection.

Kinan

CurlySaysX said:
GMT times would be nice.. just saying.
Not everyone knows what EDT Or CET times are.

Normally its just confuses people, especially now with summer times. :p

CET is GMT +2 now, and UK time is GMT +1.

I'll be there (with beer/candy in backpack for anyone who says the magic word), but mostly at the business center, maybe venturing into the public area on friday to watch the madness unfold.

Sony's and Microsoft's conferences are the highlights for me. I'm expecting more 'casual' than E3, because Europe is more casual orientated than Japan and the US. Hopefully there are more PSN/XBLA games announced.

harSon

Banned
I'm not expecting anything new in terms of game announcements, maybe some price drops, but it's only two months removed from e3 and TGS is around the corner. About the most I can see happening are some XBLA/PSN/WiiWare game announcements on top of media for already revealed games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Vlodril said:
Isnt mass effect 2 xbox360 AND pc or did i miss something?
It is. You'll notice that none of the games in that list have the PC listed, despite many of them being on it. Not sure why EA left the PC off the list though. o_O

Edit:

To the person below me, your hotlinking isn't working, but you probably don't notice because the images are in your cache.

dejan

For our small group of german hardcore rpg lovers on GAF: there will be a playable version of Drakensang 2 at the dtp booth (B030/8.1). :D

Top Bottom