• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Cologne 2009 - The Thread

edbrat

was there from early tues to thurs, camped in business area most of the time but managed to make it to the show floor a few times. Great show and a great credit to Cologne and the industry for investing and taking it seriously. All the major publisher stands were awesome. Biggest lines were unsuprisingly for SCII and D3, and CoD4 was pretty insane too. This year has proven the viability of a large scale EU focussed event and I expect next year we'll see some more major announcements from MS and Nintendo as well as Sony.

My only gripe was that the food choice wasn't great and a touch expensive, mainly a not great restaurant in the biz area and way overpriced fast food options. Also it was a lot hotter than I expected, great for a holiday but not when you are on your feet all day! Having been to this and a big music festival last year (Rock am Ring) I would encourage anyone to check out big events in Germany, the organisation is fantastic and Germans are amongst the friendliest most helpful people around. The number of times I asked for help / directions / whatever the locals went out of their way to help me, often recruiting other German strangers who could speak English if they didn't. Big thumbs up for Cologne and the numerous locals who helped make it a very memorable trip for me.

Today looked more like Comic-Con than a game convention, from my experience. Most packed day, couldn't move through halls, and all the outdoor areas felt like a rock concert with the atmosphere. Then there were all the Cosplayers...and I thought America had bad Cosplay...

Xater

TSA said:
Today looked more like Comic-Con than a game convention, from my experience. Most packed day, couldn't move through halls, and all the outdoor areas felt like a rock concert with the atmosphere. Then there were all the Cosplayers...and I thought America had bad Cosplay...

Yeah today was just horrible. I just went through some stuff I didn't see before like the Brink presentation and the console verison of Dragon Age. Then I went back home. Paul from Splash Damage also had som time to also answer my questions which was great. Really looking forward to Brink now.

Kinan

I chose a horrible day to visit Gamescom. :( So many people, huge lines, was fucking impossible to get any coherent view on whats going on. :p Line to Sony 18+ booth with Uncharted, GoW3 and Heavy Rain took like 2 hours, and I'm afraid to think about poor people wanting to take a look on Diablo 3. :p

Bloody 'el.

Blablurn

Kinan said:
I chose a horrible day to visit Gamescom. :( So many people, huge lines, was fucking impossible to get any coherent view on whats going on. :p Line to Sony 18+ booth with Uncharted, GoW3 and Heavy Rain took like 2 hours, and I'm afraid to think about poor people wanting to take a look on Diablo 3. :p

Bloody 'el.

sorry to hear that, dude. i hope you still had some fun in germany.

Scotch

Even here in the Netherlands there were lots of posters for Gamecom in trainstations and stuff. I'm not surprised this thing is so huge, if they have the money for advertising in different countries.

migulic

Gallagher said:
So the GamesCom is now the biggest gaming event in the world.

245.000 Visitors.

Amazing, so E3 and Tokyo Game Show have been defeated? :lol

Although I could have expected it, when I was there on Thursday the crowds were huge, and I heard Saturday and Sunday were much worse. Still, this just shows how much the European games market is growing.

Blablurn

migulic said:
Although I could have expected it, when I was there on Thursday the crowds were huge, and I heard Saturday and Sunday were much worse.

spaceball.gif

2q24fug.jpg

alba

Little is the new Big
Friday was pretty damn crowded too, first thing I did when I got there (10am) was to rush to the blizzard booth and the lines were enormous already so I gave up on that :lol

migulic

Flek said:
well the e3 and tgs are not open for public afaik

E3 isn't, TGS is.

alba said:
Friday was pretty damn crowded too, first thing I did when I got there (10am) was to rush to the blizzard booth and the lines were enormous already so I gave up on that

Well, that was the case on Thursday too, but at least you could move through the halls reasonably comfortable (not like that photo that was just posted!) The lines were still enormous, especially for Activision (MW2)/Blizzard, Command and Conquer 4, and to a lesser extent Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, the rest of EA's booth, Bioshock 2, and the Rockstar booth.

Blablurn

the people who waited at the call of duty booth were pretty dumb. i mean, it was just a presentation of the e3 level. some of them waited for 3 hours.

Lyonaz

I was at GamesCom on saturday, it was way too crowded, the line for Diablo3 was longer than 4 hours. The line for the Hideo Kojima signing was also long not to mention confusing as hell, so I didnt get my copy of MGS4 signed. =(

I stood in line for the Sony 18+ section for like 45 minutes I think. Totally worth it, I played Uncharted 2, looks and plays absolutely amazing! God of war 3 was great too and Heavy Rain was interesting too, although it did lock up during my fight with Mad Jack.

Didn't get to see much though, like I said way too crowded. Although what surprised me was Namco Bandai's Majin: The Fallen Realm, looked interesting like a mix between prince of persia and ICO.

Köln was awesome, what's up with all the bachelor/bachelorette party people though. Looks like lots of people are planning to get married.

PS. Kölsh beer was bitter as hell, I'll stick to the normal Dutch beer :D

SWAAAAG WHOOOORES!

2 days of collecting like a squirrel and embarassing begging ended. I played Scribblenauts, StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Virtual Boy and some other cool stuff! Saturday was hell, Sunday much better. The crowd was a bit too much into getting free stuff, but ah well...

w7bli.jpg

One thing I am very sad about: I didn't get ANY Raving Rabbits Mini Figurines! I wanted them so bad, but when I got to Ubi, they didn't have any left! Only the empty packages on the floor. And that was on Saturday noon! :[[ So if someone wants to swap stuff, please reply (except for the Rabbits Shirt and the DJ hero glasses)

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Gamers Digest - Final Report

gamescom in figures: A total of 458 companies from 31 countries took part in gamescom 2009 on a gross floor space of 120,000 square metres. 248 exhibitors and 11 additionally represented companies came from Germany, 199 exhibitors and 2 additionally represented companies from abroad. Including estimates for the last trade fair day, visitor figures came to 17,000 trade visitors and 228,000 end consumers.

gamescom 2010 will take place in Cologne from 18 – 22 August.

458 Exhibitors and 245k vistors. This wil make Gamescom the biggest show by quite a margin.

Xater

Totally forgot to upload the MP3 of the presentation Jeff Green gave me. There are also 2 bonus questions that should make some GAF/GFW/Jeff fans happy. :D

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6wcsi2

So have fun with 10 minutes of Jeff Green awesomeness. :lol

PS: Had to amplify my voice because I did not record myself. That's why it sounds like shit at those parts.

Xater

Blablurn said:
can you record and upload it? i'm currently watching bayern on tv :(

I think it will be recorded anyway so maybe. I am not at home now, this thing will be done live. *shudder*

alba

Little is the new Big
Blablurn said:
the people who waited at the call of duty booth were pretty dumb. i mean, it was just a presentation of the e3 level. some of them waited for 3 hours.

Yeah except it lasted a tiny bit more. Either way I went there at the very last and I didn't know it was that so I only had like a half hour wait so that was alright :p

GC|Simon

I visited the gamescom yesterday. A video compilation from me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-PC7MI0SDs

Also some impressions I want to post on my blog soon:

My buzzer rang at 4 am. I had to stand up early to get to Europe's biggest fair about computer and video games. The fair is located in Cologne which is about 300 kilometers away from my home. However, travelling with German railways was quite fast. A few hours and three train switches later I arrived at the fairground where the general mood already was great. I waited with tons of other people in front of hall nine for the official opening of the fair at 10 am.

After the opening of the fair I quickly went to Nintendo's booth in hall eight to get my hands on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword which will be released in 2011 worldwide. I waited exactly one hour to play the game for about five minutes. However, my waiting time was quite short compared to the one of the people who wanted to play the game five minutes later on one of the four consoles that were provided by Nintendo. They had to wait up to three hours. Yep, the waiting queue was that long. Link's latest adventure feeled exactly as expected. The motion control worked fine, but in my opinion, the look is horrible. I was not hyped before playing the demo and I am not hyped after playing the demo. After playing Zelda I looked around at Nintendo's booth. There were tons of people everywhere. I decided not to wait another hour to play Metroid: Other M since the game will be released in a couple of days in Germany and I already preordered it. However, my brother played it instead of Zelda early in the morning and said it feels very good. I waited to play Disney Epic Mickey but the guy in front of me did not stop to play the game which pissed me off a little bit if I'm honest. Since the demo seemed to be exactly the one from E3 which I already knew from several walkthrough videos I walked away. The game itself looked not spectacular but cool. Since it is from Warren Spector (the dude behind the legendary Deus Ex) nothing can go wrong with it - hopefully. My clock told me that it was 11.30 am and I was very thirsty and hungry. So I looked around for something to drink and eat and finally got half a pizza, apple cake and 0,4 liters of cola and fanta for a little bit too much money. The catering was really disappointing.

However, after the short break I went into hall six where I found the two biggest publishers of the biz, Activision Blizzard and Electronic Arts. Take Two and Bethesda also were there. Diablo III, Mafia II, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Medal of Honor, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and a lot more - everything was playable if you were willed to wait at least one hour. I was not willed to wait that long to play games that most likely feel like their predecessors. However, my brother thought that he has to check out Crysis 2 and waited more than one hour for 15 minutes gameplay. Meanwhile, I went into hall seven to check out Sony's PlayStation Move.

I played several Move games. One was something like a fun racer with an office chair. The game itself is fun for three minutes and does not allow a real opinion about the quality of motion recognition of Move. After that, I played the Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest which feeled like a big meltdown. The controls were absolutely horrible. A little bit later I tested the pointer function of Move in The Shoot and basically nothing worked. The pointer was extremely sluggish and far away from the quality of the Wiimote pointer function. However, a game named Tumble surprised me in a positve sense. In this game you have to build a tower which worked pretty well and was a lot of fun. However, the gameplay is slow and not fast like in the other games I played. After getting my hands on PlayStation Move I'm very, very sceptical.

Hall seven had some other highlights like Def Jam Rapstar (don't know if the game is any good, but the show was very nice). However, later in the day I went to Microsoft's booth and got my hands on Windows Phone 7 (which nobody needs when iOS and Android are available) and Kinect. I waited one hour to play Kinect. While waiting, I hoped to be able to play Kinect Adventures but the Microsoft dude led me into the Sonic: Free Riders booth. In this moment I thought: Great, now I don't know if Kinect or Sonic is shit, probably both. But my Kinect session was hilarious and fun. The cam seemed to have some problems, especially with recognition of movements into the depth of the room but who cares? It was fun as hell to control one of Sonic's generic friends on some kind of a flying skateboard. Watching others playing games like Kinect Adventures I discovered some major lag. However, even if Kinect does not seem suitable for 'real' games it is a new and fun thing for more minigame / partygame-like things. And this is why it could be a commercial success. But do not expect too much, otherwise you will be disappointed.

After playing Kinect I walked again through every hall and played some games here and there. Super Scribblenauts impressed me, Wii Party was more fun than expected, Donkey Kong Returns will be a very cool jump'n'run game and Kirby's Epic Yarn is my most favourite game of the fair. Great look, great ideas, day 1. Last but not least, I got a signature from Charles Martinet who seems to be a very nice guy. I have nothing more to say. Check out my pics and my video from an amazing day!

And some pics:

537itx.jpg

25s7dl0.jpg

n5ixk.jpg

352oeom.jpg

29bgis6.jpg

14o3e9u.jpg

33a40mp.jpg

2gvptmd.jpg

igzsyq.jpg

21mufio.jpg

Top Bottom